Next Thread
Print Thread
Mass deployment of Macs...
#6750 12/16/09 11:03 AM
OP Online

This relates to dianne's "Some observations/2./b."here:

Quote:
2. I am not sure about Section V, Going On The Road?, because:
b. my employer purchases licenses for installing Mac OS X on more than 200 Macintoshes. I cannot travel with the institution's operating system install discs, and thus need another option.

1. If an entity buys multiple Macs, which may even end up in multiple locations, how many sets of install discs should be included as part of the deal?

2. Can said entity purchase a special license to install an upgraded version of OS X on all of those Macs, and, if so, how many sets of backup discs will the applicable SLA allow it to burn?

Edit: Alternatively, is "There are too many permutations above and beyond single user and family pack purchases to address those possibilities in a Frequently Asked Mac Question at FTM" (here) the answer?

Thanks.

Last edited by artie505; 12/16/09 11:17 AM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: Mass deployment of Macs...
artie505 #7067 12/29/09 12:20 AM

artie505,

New Macs shipped to my employer include an operating system install disc for each computer. Technology support services will not loan a disc to any end user under any circumstances. It is policy and is not negotiable.

Before new Macs are deployed to any end user, the contents of all hard drives are erased and replaced with the custom configuration on the employer's server. Technology support services determines what goes on their individual pieces of hardware, not an end user. Some examples: not everyone gets GarageBand or Adobe Dreamweaver or Adobe OnLocation.

Upgrade licenses (not discs) are purchased and pushed through the network server.

No end user is given an Administrative account.

Additional complexities are introduced depending upon whether an employer is operating under the license agreement for the:
  1. Apple Store for Business.
  2. Apple Store for Education.
    1. K - 12
    2. Higher Education
  3. Apple Store for Government.
In addition to the general and specific license agreements for business, education, and government, technology support services determines the type of account set up for end users:
  1. Standard
  2. Managed with Parental Controls
  3. Sharing Only
  4. Group
See also Apple Legal.

Back up everything you can't afford to lose: documents, mail, movies, music, photos, and other data and settings.
Re: Mass deployment of Macs...
dianne #7083 12/29/09 10:21 AM
OP Online

Many thanks for your response, even as narrowly defined as it is, dianne; it at least gives me a peek through a corporate window. (I've been scratching my head at the thought that not a single FTM member had any insights to offer.)

The proximity of tech support makes your employer's position with regard to Macs that do not go on the road a wise one; as for traveling Macs, however, it may be found to be disastrously shortsighted should a deal "go south" because of the "perfect storm" of a non-functioning Mac and discs that are elsewhere.

At any rate, your post has made it clear that the issue of taking one's discs on the road is not one that is easily dealt with.

(I'm reminded of a thread back in the "old country" wherein a traveler [without discs, of course] wanted to use his employer's Mac for the verboten purpose of watching his college football team and needed help with Flash Player.

He wound up ignoring my considerable efforts to save him from potential issues and ran an OS X Combo Updater, and, nasty as the thought is, I'd have gotten a kick out of the whole misadventure had he wound up trashing both his employer's Mac and, possibly, his career.)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard