FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Google vs. Yahoo
#765 08/10/09 12:15 AM
Gregg Offline OP
OP Offline

Not a poll, just a curiosity. A comment in the SnapBack thread prompted me to create this topic, as it wouldn't follow from the thrust of that thread.

I've always found it curious since adopting Leopard that there is a Google search bar in Safari, while at the same time Safari came "preloaded" with several Bookmark Bar links, and among them is Yahoo's home page. Perhaps that was not true in prior OSX releases, and those who grabbed every update and adopted every new OS when it came out would not be aware of this. OTHO, maybe someone can tell me how this came about. ???

I dumped some of the links that were "suggested" by the default collection in the Bookmarks Bar, but kept Yahoo. I have never used the Google search bar, opting instead to click the Yahoo bookmark link when I want to search the web. I haven't seen the Google search page in nearly two years.

Re: Google vs. Yahoo
Gregg #793 08/10/09 10:36 AM

The Google search bar has been around since Safari 2 at the least, but it was always removable from Safari's address bar in command-J mode until the option disappeared from Safari 3; personally, I've always done just that and used a hot-keyed Google search window.

As far as Google's address bar presence, its new, mandatory presence in particular, goes, I guess it's an indication of the level to which Google has risen.

And as for the Yahoo link (Edit: which has been included in Safari's default set of bookmarks for as long as Safari's been around, I think), I guess that's an indication that Google hasn't quite taken over the world yet.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #806 08/10/09 01:17 PM
Gregg Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505
And as for the Yahoo link (Edit: which has been included in Safari's default set of bookmarks for as long as Safari's been around, I think), I guess that's an indication that Google hasn't quite taken over the world yet.

Bing(o)! wink

Gregg #824 08/10/09 05:58 PM

Don't recall the exact history of Google being mandatory, but at least it isn't anymore. Yahoo now also comes preinstalled in the search bar, just not the default. It's a bit surprising Safari still doesn't seem to have a built-in way to add additional search engines, like Firefox, IE, and Chrome all do, instead requiring a third-party util.

One search engine I've been increasingly recommending to many folk's surprise is Twitter. To find out about the latest buzz, chatter, or breaking news, there's no better resource. In my Firefox search bar, Twitter has quickly become my #2 choice after Google.

Keeper of the Magic Nickel

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard