for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A VersionTracker Pro Service Bites the Dust
#382 08/06/09 11:17 PM
OP Offline

I received the following email this morning.
Quote:

Today we are announcing a change to MacFixIt.com and the MacFixIt Pro
service. As you are probably aware, MacFixIt was acquired by CNET (with
VersionTracker) in 2007. One benefit of that acquisition is that we are now
able to provide all of the content on MacFixIt.com for free.

As of 9/2/2009 all articles will become available free-of-charge, allowing
anyone to access the most timely, comprehensive and unbiased library of Mac-
related repair and troubleshooting advice available online. We will no longer
offer paid subscriptions to MacFixIt.com. In addition to this change, we are
discontinuing our Pro email alerts service.
We will still offer the MacFixIt
Daily Update email, and you may now choose to receive an HTML version of that
message.

As a result of these changes, we are issuing prorated refunds to all paid
subscribers beginning September 9th. In order to receive a refund you must log
in to VersionTracker.com (http://www.versiontracker.com/account/editBilling.php)
to update and confirm your billing information. This is the fastest way to
receive your refund.*

In summary, here are the key points to take note of:
* Subscription services end on 9/2/2009
* Update your billing information by 9/3/2009 to receive an automated
refund for the remaining balance of your subscription fee
* We will begin processing refunds on 9/9/2009
* Pro email alerts service will cease on 9/2/2009
* All content becomes free on 9/2/2009

If you have any questions about these changes please review our FAQ online at:
http://ct.macfixit.com/clicks?t=32951875...ACFIXIT&s=5

For any additional inquiries, please submit a support request by visiting:

Sincerely,
Aaron Smith
MacFixIt Product Manager

Emphasis mine. The refund is appropriate and appreciated but the VersionTracker Pro email update service is a feature I and others have come to rely upon. It will be sorely missed by many. What is not stated is what becomes of the VersionTracker Pro application and am I sure I want to continue to use it when the data is in the control of CNet/CBSi?

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Re: A VersionTracker Pro Service Bites the Dust
joemikeb #398 08/07/09 01:12 AM

Thanks for posting this, Joe. A visit to this page says that an email was sent on August 5. I never received it. It also gives a link (the same one as yours) to update your account information. I did so, got a message that the info was updated and saw that the old info was still listed. I did it again with the same result.

You said:
Quote:
If you have any questions about these changes please review our FAQ online at:

For any additional inquiries, please submit a support request by visiting:
Note that those links are identical. I wanted to submit a report but couldn't do it from the second link. So, I emailed this information, got a reference number and we'll see what happens.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
joemikeb #400 08/07/09 01:29 AM

I had the same email today after getting home from work. I only have the MacFixIt Pro service not the Versiontracker bundle. My account was due for renewal in January so I might get a few (7-8) dollars back. If one purchased the Versiontracker/MacFixIt bundle CNET is only offering a $10 annual allowance. That works out to be $.84/month pro-rated.

Jon I had some difficulty with changing my account info as well. CNET is aware of the problem and has updated info and links Here

Think Easy!
joemikeb #403 08/07/09 02:24 AM

Quote:
The refund is appropriate and appreciated but the VersionTracker Pro email update service is a feature I and others have come to rely upon. It will be sorely missed by many. What is not stated is what becomes of the VersionTracker Pro application and am I sure I want to continue to use it when the data is in the control of CNet/CBSi?

It is kinda odd to eliminate such a useful utility. If they're killing it, I don't know why they wouldn't just sell it off to someone else. Does anyone else make a Mac app that scans your drive and recommends available updates? With the Mac market growing so fast, you'd think there'd only be upside for this product. If they don't believe the ROI for maintaining it vs revenue is there anymore, sell it. Then again, Microsoft killed Money rather than sell that. (But I think they probably have some code in there that's more valuable to them than whatever the modest sale price would be.)

Keeper of the Magic Nickel
donikatz #445 08/07/09 10:48 AM

I too did not receive the email notice. My subscription expires 23 Sep, so I doubt the rebate, should I ever see it, will break CNET. But if it does, that's ok.

Still, I updated my data and alerted Accounts Receivable.

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
knoodles #446 08/07/09 10:48 AM

Originally Posted By: knoodles
CNET is aware of the problem and has updated info and links Here
I saw that page and its links didn't help.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #470 08/07/09 01:52 PM
OP Offline

I too was unable to update my information following the links provided in the email, it would not even recognize my email address/userid. However, by directly logging on to VersionTracker I was able to update my account information. At this point I am just waiting to see what happens to VersionTracker Pro when my current subscription expires at the end of December. At least the VersionTracker app is still working normally.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #473 08/07/09 02:17 PM

I tried your link but updating, as before, was unsuccessful. I did, however, cancel auto-rebilling, just in case.

Jon

joemikeb #480 08/07/09 02:49 PM
cyn Online
Administrator
Administrator

Seems to me this thread should be titled MacFixIt Pro Service Bites the Dust. There's nothing in that email about VT Pro.

FineTunedMac Forums Admin
donikatz #484 08/07/09 03:02 PM

Quote:
Does anyone else make a Mac app that scans your drive and recommends available updates?

I have never used MacUpdate Desktop so I can't offer my humble opinion re feature comparisons, etc. But FWIW, when my current VT subscription expires, that's where I'm headed.

Harv

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
jchuzi #504 08/07/09 05:05 PM

I just received a reply from VT to my email. According to their records, my information was successfully updated. The web page has it wrong but their email has it right.

Jon

Pendragon #512 08/07/09 05:41 PM

I have always liked MacUpdate. I pay to be a member but don't pay the higher price for their desktop app. What I do use is their free MU Menu.

Think Easy!
knoodles #530 08/07/09 07:33 PM

While MacUpdate generally gets good reviews from its users, that isn’t necessarily true for its controversial owner/founder Joel Mueller. Lately, Joel seems to keep his antics out of the limelight, and MacUpdate in it with its discounted bundle software and other special offers.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #567 08/08/09 02:56 AM

Had no idea. Never noticed the bias on macupdate. Can't say I agree with his political views neither.

Think Easy!
alternaut #582 08/08/09 08:28 AM

My knock against MacUpdate is that they sold my email address to spammers.

At one time they offered a free limited membership to entice people to join. I used a specific email address at my domain for that membership, given only to MU. When the free time had run out, I began to receive spam to the email address I used for MU.

I don't trust any company that does this. I use MU as a last resort, usually only when VersionTracker has a problem loading or is down.

Rick Deckard #585 08/08/09 11:48 AM

Yikes! Based on the (several) comments above, I may well rethink my thoughts re MU. Many thanks for the "alert".

Harv

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard