I run Net Monitor all the time [as it's also handy for observing data transfer on my LAN.] For a long time now i've noticed that -- when posting messages (be it here or any message board) -- a huge amount of something is being "sent".

I have Net Monitor set to show 'receive' in green and 'send' in red... and (when posting) the red graph is huge compared to the green... maybe 5-times larger. So i look at Safari's Activity window to see how many bytes the page has (let's say 80K). So what from my computer that measures 5-times that are you reading? Entire cookie file? Entire history file? Entire bookmarks file?

What then? [300 to 400K seems to be a bit more than my message contains. smirk ]

Edit: actually, this site isn't that bad... but macnn and macosxhints seem to read a boatload of info from my Mac.

--

Edit 2: Ha! Over at macosxhints i just typed "test test test" into a quick reply box and entered it. Not much showed up in the red/send area... so i hit Edit and deleted the tiny message. Upon clicking the delete button, the page reloaded... and a huge red blob strolled across Net Monitor's graph. Easily about 200KB.

just wondering. (what and why)

Edited by Hal Itosis (03/04/10 01:21 AM ET)

Last edited by cyn; 03/16/10 06:56 AM. Reason: Topic moved from the Lounge to FineTunedMac Feedback.