FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Login with VPN
#65449 12/27/23 04:12 PM
Ira L Online OP
OP Online

When I travel I use a VPN in conjunction with available wi-fi. Today the FTM site required me to login (not unusual), VPN was on (the usual) and the login dialog would not appear when prompted by clicking "login" (next to "register"). The page remained static when "login" was clicked. I turned off VPN and I was able to login. VPN has since been turned back on and I can maneuver through the site with no problems. Is this a new feature? smirk

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Re: Login with VPN
Ira L #65454 12/27/23 07:03 PM

I tried logging out and back in with my Malwarebytes VPN turned on and had no problems.

I'm finding VPNs to be weird!

As I reported, I had an issue with Google and Safari Private Relay, and I'm now finding that the MB VPN which gave me no problems with Amazon when I first turned it on is now giving me a problem in Safari, but not in Firefox.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #65476 12/29/23 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by artie505

As I reported, I had an issue with Google and Safari Private Relay, and I'm now finding that the MB VPN which gave me no problems with Amazon when I first turned it on is now giving me a problem in Safari, but not in Firefox.
It may not be VPNs that are weird, rather MalwareBytes VPN specifically. The latest update of SoftRAID lists MalwareBytes as an app that may cause SoftRAID to not load. I haven't had any problems personally, but...

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #65478 12/29/23 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by joemikeb
Originally Posted by artie505

It may not be VPNs that are weird, rather MalwareBytes VPN specifically. The latest update of SoftRAID lists MalwareBytes as an app that may cause SoftRAID to not load. I haven't had any problems personally, but...
Well, I've experienced weirdness with both Private Relay and the Malwarebytes VPN, so...

I've now found that if I log in to Amazon with the MB VPN turned off, and then turn it back on, I can log in and out as long as I save my Amazon cookie.

And, as I've mentioned, the Amazon problem is with Safari, but not Firefox.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
joemikeb #65479 12/29/23 04:37 PM
Ira L Online OP
OP Online

In my case I am not using MalwareBytes VPN. It is the same VPN I have been using all along, and previously had no problems logging in to FTM.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #65486 12/29/23 08:45 PM

Not the same thing, but by way of example, when I opened my MBP this morning, my Internet service wasn't working...couldn't fetch mail or refresh web pages, but after I turned my VPN off and back on, all was back to normal.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

artie505 #65489 12/30/23 02:17 AM

I have NORDVPN on all the time and I have never experienced any problems of any kind. Perhaps the version you using is the reason. Just a thought.

jaybass

OS 13.6.6 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2017, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 24 GB RAM, 2400 MHz DDR4. SuperDuper. 1 TB Lacie HD
jaybass #65490 12/30/23 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by jaybass
13.6.2 I have NORDVPN on all the time and I have never experienced any problems of any kind. Perhaps the version you using is the reason. Just a thought.
And a good thought it is, but having already paid for the Malwarebytes VPN, and having experienced nothing more than annoyances with no indications of failure of function, I guess I'll just stay on the alert and maybe rethink my position when my two year subscription expires.

If anything, I guess I'd describe my experience with MB VPN so far as quirky over-exuberance on its part at worst.

Ira L #65493 12/30/23 06:15 PM
cyn Online
Administrator
Administrator

Ira, was this a one-time thing or does it still happen when you try to log in with your VPN on?

FineTunedMac Forums Admin
cyn #65521 01/01/24 09:50 PM
Ira L Online OP
OP Online

It seems to be ongoing. I just logged out of the iMac (previously the problem was on a MacBook), turned on Express VPN (not normally in use when not traveling) and I could not log in. The FTM home page seems to load (i.e., the page flashes but does not go to the sign-in page). I turn off the VPN and I can sign in as always. As I previously said, this was never a problem in the past.

On a Mac since 1984.
Ira L #65527 01/02/24 01:45 PM
cyn Online
Administrator
Administrator

I know zilch about VPNs so pointed tacit to this thread.

FineTunedMac Forums Admin
Ira L #65540 01/04/24 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Ira L
It seems to be ongoing. I just logged out of the iMac (previously the problem was on a MacBook), turned on Express VPN (not normally in use when not traveling) and I could not log in. The FTM home page seems to load (i.e., the page flashes but does not go to the sign-in page). I turn off the VPN and I can sign in as always. As I previously said, this was never a problem in the past.
I just ran into the opposite problem using Arc. I had to turn CyberGhost VPN ON to get the FineTunedMac login screen. Having encountered a similar issue where I was unable to access another site login page, it would appear this is not an FTM issue or browser issue.

It turned out the other site was dealing with a domain linking issue. Once that was resolved, it took almost a month, I could log in without resorting to the VPN. I speculated the VPN fix routed the connection through a different network route and therefore a different set of servers, bypassing the scrambled links. Unfortunately, that would not explain why one browser could link but not another.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #65546 01/05/24 04:51 PM

Yesterday I had to have the VPN on to get the FTM login screen, this morning after installing macOS 14.3 Beta 2, I don't. Neither do I know what that implies, but it is a data point.

— Albert Einstein
Ira L #65677 02/04/24 04:33 PM
Ira L Online OP
OP Online

FYI, the basic problem still exists. With VPN on, the login link produces no login page; the generic home page remains. Turn VPN off and logging in is normal; turn VPN on and navigating the site (after login) is normal.

On a Mac since 1984.

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard