for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Can't change my avatar?
#3583 09/13/09 08:35 AM
OP Online

I've been trying to upload a new png of appropriate size, but I can't get the forum software to accept it.

My Stuff>Edit Profile>Upload your avatar>Choose File>Submit>No joy!

Is it me or something Forum related?

Thanks.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: Can't change my avatar?
artie505 #3585 09/13/09 08:54 AM
OP Online

I have absolutely no idea how it happened, but my change took. smile

Edit: I figured out the sequence of events... I clicked "Submit," and the page refreshed and told me that my changes had been accepted (or whatever), but when I scrolled to the bottom of the refreshed page my old avatar was still there.

When I posted, my old avatar showed next to the post.

Some time afterward, I clicked on My Stuff>View Profile and saw that the change had taken hold.

Something to do with server response, or a UBB issue?

Last edited by artie505; 09/13/09 10:51 AM.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #3601 09/13/09 04:05 PM

I've seen the odd delayed response here and there, but don't recall the details. I also don't know what caused it, so your guess is as good as mine, but FWIW I sometimes suspect a (browser) cache issue. Meanwhile, I'll keep my eyes open. tongue

alternaut moderator
artie505 #3638 09/13/09 10:06 PM

This can happen because of an old version of the avatar in your browser cache or in the UBB cache. If you quit your browser and re-log-on to FTM, you should see the new avatar. Likewise, if you log out of FTM and log back in, that'll show you the new avatar if your browser isn't caching the old one. In any event, the UBB cache expires after a few minutes, so just waiting a bit will solve the problem as well.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #3658 09/14/09 02:01 AM

I think in this case it was likely a browser cache issue, since I saw artie's old avatar when I first loaded this thread several hours after the initial post.

Clearing Safari's cache and reloading the page resulted in the new avatar being displayed.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
tacit #3669 09/14/09 07:27 AM
OP Online

I'd like to be more helpful, but this is the best I can do...

I may have quit Safari during the time-frame in question, but know I did not log out of FTM (I never log out of FTM.), and I'm pretty sure I didn't clear Safari's cache.

> In any event, the UBB cache expires after a few minutes, so just waiting a bit will solve the problem as well.

I've got a feeling that's what happened.

dkmarsh #3687 09/14/09 05:51 PM

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh

I think in this case it was likely a browser cache issue, since I saw artie's old avatar when I first loaded this thread several hours after the initial post.

Clearing Safari's cache and reloading the page resulted in the new avatar being displayed.

That is quite likely to happen if the new avatar has the same file name as the old.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard