FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Ignore?
#2071 08/26/09 01:26 AM
roger Offline OP
OP Offline

while I don't see this as likely being necessary here at FTM, I know on other UBBThreads forums I have been on, there is a "Ignore" feature, which allows you to make the posts of a user invisible.
wondered if others thought it might be a usable feature here.

MacBook 2.4 Ghz · 4 Gb ram · 10.7.5
stuff I'm interested in
iPhone 4s 7.0.2
Re: Ignore?
roger #2082 08/26/09 12:36 PM

If I had the responsibility of administering the forums, I would look upon that as a burden. The mods and admins already have enough similar decision making dilemmas. It's never the case that everyone agrees with any such decision. Seems like this "ignore" option (rudely named to begin with) would just be a flashpoint for sparking animosity. But, that's just one opinion...

roger #2090 08/26/09 03:11 PM

Roger, if you want to ignore someone's posts, why not just, er, ignore them? When you see the (irritating?) poster's posts, just scroll on by? That's what I do. wink

Gregg #2091 08/26/09 03:22 PM

Gregg, it wouldn't be a burden for the management: it would just be another switch which users could use or not use as they wished. (I run a forum myself. There's no ignore switch but there is a "block PMs" for everyone to use if they want.)

How could an ignore option be a flashpoint for sparking animosity if the ignoree was unaware that they were being ignored? confused

roger #2096 08/26/09 04:21 PM
cyn Online
Administrator
Administrator

Look at almost any FTM profile and you'll find an "Ignore this user" link. Doesn't make that person's posts completely invisible, but replaces the body content of each with this:

*** You are ignoring this user ***
Toggle the display of this post

Exceptions are Admin profiles don't have the link, and Mod profiles do but clicking it results in a "You cannot ignore an Admin or Moderator" message.

I think it's kinda silly myself, but unless we start getting a lot of the "I've put you on my ignore list" sort of posts I've seen on some other sites I expect the feature to remain available here.

FineTunedMac Forums Admin
Bensheim #2099 08/26/09 04:46 PM

Ok, with your post, and cyn's, I have a clearer understanding of how that feature works. I had something totally different in my head. I've never been aware of that here, or seen it elsewhere. I thought a mod or admin would have to decide which posts to mark "ignored" for everyone, just like they decide to lock threads and sometimes (ahem!) delete posts.

Like you said, why not just ignore the post and scroll on by? If the "ignore" option was invoked, and a subsequent post referenced someone you've chosen to ignore, you might want to "unignore" the ignored post in order to better correct the mistaken advice that had apparently been given. Besides, you'll see the ignored post if someone quotes it. So then, what? Same thing; scroll on by.

cyn #2112 08/26/09 09:34 PM
roger Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: cyn
Look at almost any FTM profile and you'll find an "Ignore this user" link. Doesn't make that person's posts completely invisible, but replaces the body content of each with this:

*** You are ignoring this user ***
Toggle the display of this post

Exceptions are Admin profiles don't have the link, and Mod profiles do but clicking it results in a "You cannot ignore an Admin or Moderator" message.

I think it's kinda silly myself, but unless we start getting a lot of the "I've put you on my ignore list" sort of posts I've seen on some other sites I expect the feature to remain available here.

thank you, cyn, I just didn't look deep enough into the profile.

Gregg and Ben, I hear you about scrolling, but sometimes you get posters who are prolific, and even scrolling gets to be a bit much.

MacBook 2.4 Ghz · 4 Gb ram · 10.7.5
stuff I'm interested in
iPhone 4s 7.0.2
roger #2171 08/27/09 05:00 PM

I'm not locked into that position. In fact, it might just be shifting a little already. Thanks for bringing it up. smile

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard