FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
# of each post
#1435 08/19/09 01:17 AM
Gregg Offline OP
OP Offline

I didn't notice it before... toward the upper right, each post has a number. I'm guessing it signifies the chronological place in the total for the whole site - all forums. Is that correct?

On other sites, I've noticed a number, similarly placed, signifying the number in that thread. Is that also an option with the UBB software?

I'm not sure that there's any utility for either, but if people were going to refer to a post by number, seems like it would be easier to work with the latter.

Re: # of each post
Gregg #1439 08/19/09 02:52 AM

Quote:
...each post has a number. I'm guessing it signifies the chronological place in the total for the whole site - all forums. Is that correct?

Yes.

See my reply to artie in a different context for more details. (Long story short, the "utility" of these numbers is not really for the user, but for the software itself: that's how it keeps track of individual posts.)

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #1462 08/19/09 12:57 PM
Gregg Offline OP
OP Offline

I see. It's a marker (for the software), not a reference (for the user). Interesting.

So then, the sequential numbers within each thread that I've seen elsewhere is an entirely different thing, I suppose. Or, it might be a different method of doing the same thing - but that seems unlikely. Bottom line; it apparently is not simply an option that an administrator could flick a switch to change.

Gregg #1475 08/19/09 01:59 PM
cyn Online
Administrator
Administrator

Yep, UBBT's post numbering system is what it is.

If you're participating in a thread and for some reason want to refer to a specific post there without linking to it, that post's number is a better way to identify it than the time stamp you see on it since the latter can differ depending on a reader's time offset preference setting.

FineTunedMac Forums Admin

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard