FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Checkbox Won't Check
#51526 04/11/19 11:06 PM
Ira L Offline OP
OP Offline

I understand FineTunedMac uses a 30 day cookie to keep a member logged in. I have successfully re-logged in for years (nigh on a decade with this "new" site), and have always checked the "keep me logged in" box.

Now for some reason that checkbox will not check. I click anywhere in the vicinity and nothing happens. If I click in a region just below, but not on "Submit", it thinks I have clicked Submit and I get logged in, but I'm logged out after my session ends.

This is with Safari 12.1. crazy

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Re: Checkbox Won't Check
Ira L #51527 04/11/19 11:15 PM

Beat me to it.

The solution is to check the box prior to entering your user name and p/w.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #51528 04/12/19 05:08 AM

And similarly, I had to log in to MacUpdate tonight, and the login screen wouldn't allow me to enter my user name and p/w until after I'd completed the Captcha exercise.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #51534 04/12/19 02:10 PM

Maybe it's just because I'm a grumpy old man, but I'm not a fan of the Captcha exercise. Some of the pics are so fuzzy & out of focus you can't see what's in them. If at all possible I abandon sites that use Captcha.

Douglas #51535 04/12/19 02:39 PM

I agree with the dislike of Captcha and the quality of the images that are too often too small and too fuzzy to decipher. But I ran into a new variation on the Captcha scheme that is a simple one item test such as…
Originally Posted By: MyMedicare.Gov
What are the first and last letters in the word BAR.
Even better while you can log onto the basic site without going through anti-bot feature. Instead of blocking site access it is used to as a gatekeeper to any point on the site that provides access to personal data. Certainly a bot could be constructed with sufficient AI to defeat that but it appears to be reasonably secure and dead simple to interpret. This is a "Captcha" I can live with.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #51536 04/12/19 03:29 PM

Getting back to basics, we've now identified two different websites that have got their login procedures screwed up such that actions that have heretofore been taken after user name and password were entered must now be taken beforehand.

Any other sightings?

Bug?

artie505 #51537 04/12/19 04:07 PM
Ira L Offline OP
OP Offline

Checking the box first—what a concept!

Yes, that worked. Thanks one and all.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
artie505 #51539 04/12/19 04:32 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
Bug?
A change does not constitute a Bug. If you don't like the change and want to go back to the former procedure you could report it as a "Feature Request". I believe the problem arose because the system 'Fills" in the ID and Password it also sends a Carriage Return which depending on individual site code may or may not trigger the logon so there is no opportunity to click the Remember. The solution, of course, is to manually enter the ID and Password or disable forego the automatic fill of data and passwords. I haven't had to check the "Remember" box lately but my sense is the procedure goes smoother in Safari Technology Preview (ie. Safari 12.2) so your issue may already be fixed and waiting for release.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #51547 04/13/19 06:55 AM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
A change does not constitute a Bug. If you don't like the change and want to go back to the former procedure you could report it as a "Feature Request".

OK, point taken, it really isn't a bug, rather, it's apparently an unfortunate change wherein somebody misguidedly coded a carriage return into the results of clicking on a user name/password popup and rendered an intuitive sequence non-intuitive; I wouldn't dignify it by calling its reversal a feature.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that I could actually complete the MacUpdate Captcha before entering my user name and password; I'd have guessed it would be a one-two procedure rather than one-one.

Ira L #51585 04/16/19 04:25 PM
Ira L Offline OP
OP Offline

This article gives some details on the cause and solution, as well as some observations from the folks at 1Password.

On a Mac since 1984.

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard