deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

How do I change my username?

Re: change username
deniro #49166 06/23/18 10:57 PM
cyn Online
Administrator
Administrator

Username (used to log in) isn't editable AFAICT. Why do you want to change yours?

FineTunedMac Forums Admin
cyn #49167 06/24/18 12:14 AM

Originally Posted By: cyn
Username (used to log in) isn't editable AFAICT. Why do you want to change yours?

Does that mean that one can't de-register for FTM? Seems unlikely.
If username can't be edited, why not just "unsubscribe" under current username and then re-register? The only thing that would be lost would be one's original registration date.

grelber #49169 06/24/18 12:27 AM

Originally Posted By: grelber
Does that mean that one can't de-register for FTM? Seems unlikely.
If username can't be edited, why not just "unsubscribe" under current username and then re-register? The only thing that would be lost would be one's original registration date.

FTM seems to work like every other website I've looked at from this point of view, i.e. your ONLY option is to open a new account with a new user name (but in doing so you'd lose your post history, so it's not necessarily a good idea). I don't even think you can close your existing account.

I don't know when it happened, but eBay has changed their user name policy, and you can now attach your old-user-name feedback to a new user name...excellent idea in my estimation. smile

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #49172 06/24/18 04:11 AM

With more recent versions of OS X, open the "Users & Groups" preference pane, right click on your user in the left hand column, and click the "Advanced Options" item in the pop-up menu.

From there you can change your account name. Do read the warning carefully, however, as some of the settings on that panel are hazardous to modify.

David #49173 06/24/18 06:27 AM

Thanks for your advice, but it isn't applicable to this discussion which pertains to changing one's FineTunedMac user name.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #49175 06/24/18 08:07 AM

Originally Posted By: artie505
FTM seems to work like every other website I've looked at from this point of view, i.e. your ONLY option is to open a new account with a new user name (but in doing so you'd lose your post history, so it's not necessarily a good idea).

¿Qué? It seems to me that you wouldn't actually "lose" post history, you'd just have to know under what username such items were originally posted (in order to access such via the search function). Or am I missing something?

grelber #49176 06/24/18 08:19 AM

Originally Posted By: grelber
FTM seems to work like every other website I've looked at from this point of view, i.e. your ONLY option is to open a new account with a new user name (but in doing so you'd lose your post history, so it's not necessarily a good idea).

¿Qué? It seems to me that you wouldn't actually "lose" post history, you'd just have to know under what username such items were originally posted (in order to access such via the search function). Or am I missing something?

You can't search for a particular user; you can only search for a username and hope it's been mentioned in a post, and if not...

More: This post is incomplete; see my next one.

Last edited by artie505; 06/24/18 09:37 AM. Reason: More

artie505 #49178 06/24/18 08:56 AM

You can't search for a particular user; you can only search for a username and hope it's been mentioned in a post, and if not...

Not so. Just enter username in "Display Name Search" field, and Bob's your uncle!
I just plugged deniro into same and got 8 years' worth of posts.

grelber #49179 06/24/18 09:24 AM

So!

Those hits are the result of deniro's name having been mentioned in the body of other posters' posts over those 8 years. (Take a look at the posters of your hits; deniro comes up only if he's edited one of his own posts.) In order to see ALL of his posts you'd have to find one, click on it, and then on "View posts" under his name in the left column.

Now try searching for "David". (This post is the only one that comes up; his post in this thread doesn't.)

Last edited by artie505; 06/24/18 09:37 AM. Reason: Correction

artie505 #49181 06/24/18 09:41 AM

Those hits are the result of deniro's name having been mentioned in the body of other posters' posts over those 8 years. (Take a look at the posters of your hits; deniro comes up only if he's edited one of his own posts.) In order to see ALL of his posts you'd have to find one, click on it, and then on "View posts" under his name in the left column.

Gotcha! cool tongue (Back to my sudoku.)

deniro #49191 06/24/18 08:52 PM
cyn Online
Administrator
Administrator

Perhaps I should have included in my first reply that in UBB.threads members have a username (used to log in and not visible to other members) and a display name (shown on posts). Some people enter the same name in both fields when registering, others elect to go with different ones.

Deniro, if display name is what you're actually interested in changing, I should be able to do that for you.

Artie, sounds to me like you're entering your search query in the "Keyword Search Terms" field instead of the "Display Name Search" field.

FineTunedMac Forums Admin
cyn #49194 06/24/18 10:33 PM

Originally Posted By: cyn
Artie, sounds to me like you're entering your search query in the "Keyword Search Terms" field instead of the "Display Name Search" field.

My bad, cyn.

You and grelber are both correct. blush

My obliviousness is a never-ending source of amazement to me. frown

artie505 #49236 06/27/18 02:01 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

I didn't want to say it, but I try to keep my usernames private. A person I dislike, who I consider to be a psychopath, said to me "You're Deniro, right?" Like the other mind games this person plays, it bothered me. One of the familiar games is "I know about you" comments dropped at the appropriate time. In these times of decreased privacy, lax security, and increased psychopathy, I thought I would change it. None of this is funny by the way. I'm reluctant to say anything because it usually reflects badly on me.

Other events have reminded me how long it's been since I've admired Robert Deniro. Granted, he looks a lot like my uncle, but it's been a long time since I've admired his work and I don't watch movies anymore. What seemed clever at the time now looks stupid. So I guess I'm getting old.

I didn't want say any of this, and I know it's dumb, but I looked over the preferences and couldn't find the option. Most web sites allow me to change usernames quickly without fuss or explanation.

I haven't chosen a new name yet. I would like to retain my post history, though I guess it doesn't really matter. I could start over with a new account.

deniro #49275 06/30/18 02:28 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

I tried emailing cyn@finetunedmac.com but it didn't work.

deniro #49276 06/30/18 03:05 PM

Try replying to the Administrator post above.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
deniro #49277 06/30/18 03:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Ira L
Try replying to the Administrator post above.

That reply is, of course, public and readable by anyone on FineTunedMac including your "psychopath". Notify limits your message to the moderators and will generally get much quicker attention.

Just click on Notify at the bottom of your post and the moderators for that particular forum will get the message. The moderators for this particular forum are: Alternaut, Cyn, and DKMarsh.

I can understand your not wanting to lose your browsing history, but a new identity with all new information might make it a bit more difficult for an antagonist to recognize the new identity.

Last edited by joemikeb; 06/30/18 03:23 PM. Reason: merge two posts

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #49283 06/30/18 11:14 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

I don't mind using an new account. I don't now how much more I will be posting because my next computer will likely be a Windows desktop PC. I don't know when that will be. I already use an old Dell laptop part of the time.

deniro #49285 07/01/18 08:13 AM

Originally Posted By: deniro
... my next computer will likely be a Windows desktop PC.

Your Westie wants to know: "But why, laddie? After all these years." confused

grelber #49287 07/01/18 01:41 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

Oh, such a big subject, one I complain about often. Maybe I'll start a thread about it. I'm beginning to think Tim Cook is intentionally trying to destroy the Mac, though the reasons remain a mystery. Here's an article I read yesterday about the notorious Macbook Pro keyboard.

https://ifixit.org/blog/10229/macbook-pro-keyboard/

deniro #49288 07/01/18 03:41 PM

Trying to access your referenced website, I was confronted with:

Your connection is not secure.
The owner of ifixit.org has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website.
ifixit.org uses an invalid security certificate. The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate is unknown. The server might not be sending the appropriate intermediate certificates. An additional root certificate may need to be imported.

So, that's a no-go. How about a précis of the relevant info?

For that matter, why wouldn't a desktop iMac be worth it?

grelber #49291 07/01/18 04:31 PM

I had no problem accessing the article, and it reinforced my longstanding complaint about the giveaways necessitated by thinner laptops, albeit not in a manner I had anticipated.

My 2015 MBP apparently isn't affected by the problem, because it's not covered by the extended warrantee...yet.

Fingers cossed.

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard