FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Was FTM hijacked?
#34883 06/27/15 08:11 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Yesterday evening, no matter how I tried to access FTM forums, it seemed to have been hijacked by something called HostGator (This site is hosted by HostGator!) or it redirected without changing the URL to [what appeared to be] Franklin
Veaux's website. In all cases it reset http:// to https:// and then "misdirected".
The hijacking also changed my bookmark icons to something decidedly not FTM's.
I tried contacting one of the moderators via email but have heard nothing back.
As of now, everything seems to be OK (including the bookmark icons, which have reverted to normal), even though it went through a page which noted that FTM had been moved to a new server — suspicious in itself since the info thereon was extremely dated, making reference to old MacFixIt).

Anybody know what happened?

Re: Was FTM hijacked?
grelber #34885 06/27/15 08:38 AM

I had the same issue and contacted Tacit via TechSurvivors. He replied:

"Temporary glitch--my hosting company installed a new server certificate today. Fixed now!"

In order to access FTM, I had to delete the FTM cookie and relaunch Safari (logging in again, of course) but it seems to be OK now.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #34887 06/27/15 08:49 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Ah so ... that would explain why Firefox interrupted with the warning that "This site is untrusted", making reference to the certificate.
Mystery solved ... I hope.

grelber #34888 06/27/15 09:14 AM

This is still happening to me with Opera. I must say, the sight of Mr. Veaux in bunny ears is quite disturbing! grin

iMac (19,1, 3.1 GHz i5, 12.7.4, 40 Gb RAM); MacBook Air (1.8 Ghz, 8 Gb RAM, 10.14.6, 256 Gb SSD) Vodafone router and Devolo Wi-Fi Extender, Canon TS8351 printer/scanner.
freelance #34890 06/27/15 04:00 PM

It is still happening with me at noon today and I keep getting Error 404 attempting to access different parts of the site. http:// seems to work, but that gets changed to https:// in some cases — for example logging on — and then it is all Error 404s.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #34892 06/27/15 10:23 PM

Clearing your cache should fix any remaining problem.

Yesterday, my hosting company installed a new server certificate on franklinveaux.com, which is where the picture of me in bunny ears lives (and where my ecommerce site is hosted). Unfortunately, what should have been a routine thing on their part went a bit pear-shaped, and I spent rather a lot of time on the phone with them getting it sorted.

However, if your browser cached the wrong page, you might still see it when you go to FTM. Clearing the cache, then closing and opening the browser ought to get everything working again.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #34893 06/27/15 11:24 PM

Originally Posted By: tacit
Clearing your cache should fix any remaining problem.

Yesterday, my hosting company installed a new server certificate on franklinveaux.com, which is where the picture of me in bunny ears lives (and where my ecommerce site is hosted). Unfortunately, what should have been a routine thing on their part went a bit pear-shaped, and I spent rather a lot of time on the phone with them getting it sorted.

However, if your browser cached the wrong page, you might still see it when you go to FTM. Clearing the cache, then closing and opening the browser ought to get everything working again.
That worked for me. I neglected to mention that deleting the FTM cookie in Safari also cleared the cache.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #34894 06/28/15 08:20 AM

Quote:
I neglected to mention that deleting the FTM cookie in Safari also cleared the cache.

That doesn't sound right; one has nothing to do with the other.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #34895 06/28/15 08:26 AM

In Safari 8.0.6, going to Safari > Preferences > Privacy allows you to click Details... to delete individual cookies. I thought that I saw a message that caches would be cleaned also, but I just looked and can't find that. Is this a senior moment or what?

I don't know what happened... blush

Wait: Some cookies are listed as only cookies, but others have cache listed as well. The FTM cookie (I just looked at it) shows both. When I deleted that cookie, it looks as if the cache was deleted also.

Last edited by jchuzi; 06/28/15 08:32 AM.

Jon

jchuzi #34896 06/28/15 08:35 AM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
In Safari 8.0.6, going to Safari > Preferences > Privacy allows you to click Details... to delete individual cookies. I thought that I saw a message that caches would be cleaned also, but I just looked and can't find that. Is this a senior moment or what?

I don't know what happened... blush

Wait: Some cookies are listed as only cookies, but others have cache listed as well. The FTM cookie (I just looked at it) shows both. When I deleted that cookie, it looks as if the cache was deleted also.

Safari 5.1.10 works the same way, and I think you're correct.

I'm so used to clearing cookies with Cookie that I forgot how Safari actually works. blush

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
grelber #34898 06/28/15 03:41 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Interesting discussion on the "temporary glitch".
With Firefox I did nothing — kept the batch of cookies, didn't clear cache — and everything reverted to normal.

As a result I'm pretty much thinking that I'm not going to give Opera a whirl and I'm happy with my choice not to use Safari.

grelber #34901 06/28/15 08:03 PM

Perhaps it's because I never log out, but all I ever experienced during the "glitch" period was a strange URL in Safari 5.1.10's address bar and "can't connect to server" notices, all of which reverted to normal without my clearing either caches or cookies (and if you noticed, Freelance had no issues with Safari either).

Still no need for Firefox here!

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard