for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New forum?
#31840 11/21/14 09:34 AM
OP Online

Looking both back and forward, it seems like a "Virus & Malware Forum" would a be an excellent, helpful addition to the FTM Forums Index.

There was much discussion at FTM's outset about the nature of the Lounge, and such a forum would resolve at least a portion of the disagreement over its current content, which includes many V & M topics.

Edit: I'll further suggest that any relevant thread that's already been posted in the Lounge be moved to the new forum if it draws new response.

Comments?

Last edited by artie505; 11/21/14 11:30 AM. Reason: Edit & cleanup

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: New forum?
artie505 #31842 11/21/14 03:29 PM

I'd buy (into) that.
There doesn't appear to be another forum which could conveniently cover such.
The Lounge doesn't seem to be an appropriate place for the topic.

artie505 #31844 11/21/14 04:33 PM

As you correctly note, the Lounge features malware and security threads including at least one long-lived and rather comprehensive thread and several others dealing with specific outbreaks/instances. That is not to say that a dedicated forum might not be useful, only that in previous discussions on the topic the advantage of a limited number of forums won out over further diversification. An important argument was that forums with regular contributions were preferable over those with only occasional updates. You can easily see for yourself how frequently such a malware forum would have seen new posts based on the ones I referred to above. Obviously, this 'conclusion' doesn't need to be final, but it's what we got and how we got it. My personal opinion is that we'll see how things develop here and in the 'real world'. The topic certainly is worth a revisit.

alternaut moderator
artie505 #31847 11/22/14 12:13 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
….it seems like a "Virus & Malware Forum" would a be an excellent, helpful addition to the FTM Forums Index.

I like the idea. It's certainly a topic that's going to require fresh discussions and answers as new challenges arise. Folks may also have a need to revisit previous threads and this would keep them all in one place. (The threads, not the folks. grin )

Originally Posted By: artie505
There was much discussion at FTM's outset about the nature of the Lounge, and such a forum would resolve at least a portion of the disagreement over its current content, which includes many V & M topics

I recall that, and I note that the Lounge is one index still without a description. It seems to me that the old guideline essentially kept the Lounge as a place for any conversation except technical stuff.

Last edited by ryck; 11/22/14 12:17 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #31848 11/22/14 03:30 PM

Originally Posted By: ryck
I recall that, and I note that the Lounge is one index still without a description. It seems to me that the old guideline essentially kept the Lounge as a place for any conversation except technical stuff.

RE the latter: Indeed it did. Don't know why it was dumped.
RE the former: A couple choices - reinstitute the old description or just label it "Cats and other stuff". smirk

artie505 #31856 11/24/14 04:49 PM
cyn Online
Administrator
Administrator

Given the number of threads we generally have going at a time, IMO we have too many forums as it is. Rather than add another I think we'd be better off combining all the troubleshooting/help forums into one.

Concerning the Lounge description, you guys must be remembering the one at MFIF. The blurb here was only "We need a description for the FineTunedMac Lounge!" before it was changed to the current "FineTunedMac Lounge!"

FineTunedMac Forums Admin
cyn #31860 11/24/14 11:23 PM

Originally Posted By: cyn
The blurb here was only "We need a description for the FineTunedMac Lounge!"...

And folks submitted ideas for a description (I know I did) but instead….

….it was changed to the current "FineTunedMac Lounge!"

IMO, it still needs a description and it should be a place for everything except technical banter.

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
cyn #31861 11/24/14 11:45 PM

….I think we'd be better off combining all the troubleshooting/help forums into one.

I assume you mean the four forums and nine headings. That's logical since they all say "Troubleshooting and help".

However, I still think there should be a single place for Viruses, malware and other security questions. So, maybe a "Security" heading that includes not only Viruses and Malware but also things like sandbox or firewall questions.

The key is in the description. I know I find the descriptions important when I want to post a question.

ryck

OS Sonoma 14.4.1
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard