for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Locked threads
#18362 10/14/11 11:41 PM
OP Online

This just happened and is beyond annoying... While I was composing a response, cyn (by all means understandably) locked the applicable thread.

When I clicked to submit my response, the page to which I was taken told me that the thread was locked and, further, told me "Please click back to return to the previous page."

Very unfortunately, I understood "previous page" as my response, clicked as instructed, was taken not to my response, but to the post to which I was responding, and, in the process, lost my post.

A language change would be VERY MUCH appreciated in order!

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: Locked threads
artie505 #18365 10/15/11 12:09 AM

I'm sorry to hear you got bitten by that. It has happened to me too, even though I usually compose replies in TextEdit and copy/paste to the post entry box. That practice has saved my bacon far more often, but even so #*%@ happens...

Anyway, while I'm not sure this particular message can be changed by us (i.e., users of the software), I wonder what the solution might be. What changes would you suggest for this particular message that would have stopped you from being bitten? Please also consider that this message may occur in different situations, and that a more specific wording may not be appropriate for all instances it's currently called for.

alternaut moderator
Re: Locked threads
alternaut #18366 10/15/11 12:20 AM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: alternaut
I'm sorry to hear you got bitten by that. It has happened to me too, even though I usually compose replies in TextEdit and copy/paste to the post entry box. That practice has saved my bacon far more often, but even so #*%@ happens...

Anyway, while I'm not sure this particular message can be changed by us (i.e., users of the software), I wonder what the solution might be. What changes would you suggest for this particular message that would have stopped you from being bitten? Please also consider that this message may occur in different situations, and that a more specific wording may not be appropriate for all instances it's currently called for.

I've lost posts for assorted reasons over the years, and I not only frequently compose in TextEdit, I frequently forget to do so. frown

It's difficult to suggest an alternative, because I don't know what would have happened had I simply clicked command-back arrow (or left bracket) or menu bar > back arrow, but if those would have taken me back to my response it would seem to be the obvious language.

The existing language is fine when, for instance, you hit "Notify" and an "...already...." page comes up, although my alternative language would serve the same purpose, i.e. no conflict.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard