for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Frozen avatar
#18055 10/07/11 09:32 PM
OP Offline

Edit: This post was originally a reply to Re: iCal and PandoCalendar.

Originally Posted By: grelber
As for a freezing avatar, mine is now frozen (whereas it wasn't earlier today). The only difference I see to FTM is the masthead honoring Steve Jobs — nicely done by the way — which might have something to do with it.

Very unlikely, those display hiccups are mostly local. Try refreshing the page, or clearing your browser cache.

Last edited by cyn; 10/08/11 12:39 AM. Reason: Changed subject.

alternaut moderator
Re: Frozen avatar
alternaut #18058 10/07/11 10:00 PM

Originally Posted By: alternaut
Originally Posted By: grelber
As for a freezing avatar, mine is now frozen (whereas it wasn't earlier today). The only difference I see to FTM is the masthead honoring Steve Jobs — nicely done by the way — which might have something to do with it.

Very unlikely, those display hiccups are mostly local. Try refreshing the page, or clearing your browser cache.

I first posted grelber's "frozen" cat, but only in passing in a troubleshooting post (before the masthead changed), and the several times I've experienced it I was unable to clear it...had to wait for it to clear itself. (Edit: Maybe I never tried clearing cache, although I don't think that's the case.)

And, by the way, grelber's is the only animated avatar I've seen freeze; I remember one thread in which V1's professor was scratching away while grelber's cat was in some sort of hypnotic trance.

Next time it happens I'll hit "Alert" and maybe one of you guys will be watching. (Next next time, anyhow.)

Edit: It just happened again, and this time clearing cache corrected it.

Note that your avatar was animated while grelber's was frozen, and I'm wondering whether grelber's upload has maybe become corrupted and needs to be deleted and re-added?

Last edited by artie505; 10/07/11 10:10 PM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #18059 10/07/11 10:25 PM
OP Offline

There's always the possibility that the avatar is corrupted at the server, but that's unlikely as things seem to be OK now. Moreover, I for one have not yet seen grelber's cat having ambulation problems, including those times both you and grelber reported seeing it. But rather than argue about who saw what when or not, I suppose tacit might be able to look into it.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #18060 10/07/11 10:40 PM

I initially wrote the issue off as being, as you've suggested, local, but now that it's happened in two localities, combined with its affecting only one of several avatars on a page...leaving others untouched...?

Is there anything about your avatar or V1's that might make them immune to whatever's affecting grelber's?

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
alternaut #18071 10/07/11 11:52 PM

This topic has been removed from the Mac OS X Applications Forum and replaced here.

Last edited by dianne; 10/07/11 11:53 PM. Reason: a moderator will need to revise the Subject line.

Back up everything you can't afford to lose: documents, mail, movies, music, photos, and other data and settings.
artie505 #18073 10/08/11 12:50 AM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505
Is there anything about your avatar or V1's that might make them immune to whatever's affecting grelber's?

I don't know. Location, perhaps? MIne is FTM-based.

alternaut moderator
artie505 #18081 10/08/11 02:17 AM

FWIW, I've seen every animated-GIF avatar in a frozen state at one point or another—including alternaut's in this very thread earlier tonight, while grelber's cat was strolling along imperturbably.

As for alternaut's speculation that hosting location might account for the difference, I don't think so; grelber's avatar is FTM-hosted as well.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #18082 10/08/11 02:39 AM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh

FWIW, I've seen every animated-GIF avatar in a frozen state at one point or another...

As for alternaut's speculation that hosting location might account for the difference, I don't think so; grelber's avatar is FTM-hosted as well.

My hosting speculation wasn't particularly logical after bringing up the local argument (which I still subscribe to) for the animation glitches. Perhaps even more so as I also seemed to recall grelber's avatar was FMT-hosted; I just wasn't sure. Like you, I have seen other avatars glitching, but I doubt I saw that with all of them. It isn't exactly frequent, or my observation is lacking (probable). laugh

alternaut moderator
dkmarsh #18088 10/08/11 07:58 AM

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh

FWIW, I've seen every animated-GIF avatar in a frozen state at one point or another—including alternaut's in this very thread earlier tonight, while grelber's cat was strolling along imperturbably.

I dunno... grelber's avatar has been freezing, on my deuced Mac(hina), anyway, consistently for perhaps a couple of weeks, and I've not noticed any others doing the same (nor do I recall noticing any such in the past); I'll keep my eyes open.

artie505 #18103 10/09/11 12:48 AM

Very strange. To my knowledge, I've never seen an animated avatar freeze.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard