OP Online

all temporary:

1. I tried to add color tags to

0;<Bóœ ?
û

and it came out looking like so:

0\0;\0<\0B\0ó\0œ ?\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0
\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0û)

Further, hitting command-Z to remove the color tags did not do so, but reopened a previously closed tab.

2. (Same post) Clicking on "Submit" took me to a page that told me

"All of the required fields are not filled in.

Please click back to return to the previous page."

Any thoughts?

Hmmm... I thought they were temporary...the original post eventually reacted as expected, but they recurred with this post.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: Posting issues...
artie505 #16990 08/13/11 10:44 AM

Quote:
...hitting command-Z to remove the color tags did not do so, but reopened a previously closed tab.

This seems to be a function of how Safari's multiple undo feature works, in conjunction with how you applied the color tags. Selecting a snippet of text and then using one of the the UBB shortcut buttons to apply tags to the selected text does not constitute typing, since the application of the tags is accomplished via Javascript.

Therefore, Command-Z does not invoke Edit -> Undo Typing, but rather invokes Undo [whatever the previous undoable action was]. If, say, you have two reply windows open, you type something in window 1, then type something in window 2, then apply color tags to what you just typed in window 2, then hit Command-Z, you'll Undo Typing all right—but it will be the typing in window 1 which gets Undone!

I know you disdain mousing through menus in favor of using the keyboard, but you can make all of this (slightly) clearer by examining Safari's Edit menu after each action you take, to see how the object of the Undo command changes with the context. In the case in question, your previous Undoable action was to close a tab, so once the Javascripted tag application disqualified typing as the most recent Undoable action, Undo Close Tab became the command invoked by Command-Z.

As for why if you type some, then type some more, then apply tags, the earlier typing doesn't become the object of the Undo command, I think it's that the Javascripted tag application is interpreted by the browser as a species of page reload, so that any earlier Undoable actions are whisked into oblivion as having been taken on a no-longer-existing page. (See Ajax (programming) for some sort-of-related discussion.)

Note: to rule out the possibility that this Undo behavior was unique to FTM, or more likely, to UBB.threads, I did some experimentation at MacOSXHints, which uses vBulletin software. Results were similar.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
artie505 #16992 08/13/11 11:23 AM

Quote:
Clicking on "Submit" took me to a page that told me

Typically, you'll get this error page if you submit a new post without having supplied a Subject. (Possibly you cut the "Aside removed" from your Kernel Panic? post, pasted it into a freshly-opened New Post page, but forgot to add a subject since your attention was already further down the page than the Subject field. I've done that a few times myself.)

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #17004 08/14/11 07:04 AM
OP Online

Thanks for that; I had already figured it out, while rolling around in bed, by the time I read your post (but while I realized that applying the tags wasn't a keystroke action that invoked command-Z possibilities I didn't realize it was javascript).

> "I know you disdain mousing through menus in favor of using the keyboard..."

Poor choice of words! I don't disdain "mousing...," and I never have; I hated to do it (because of trackpad limitations combined with terrible hand-eye coordination), but I didn't hesitate to do it. (Hooray for MenuPop!)

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
dkmarsh #17005 08/14/11 07:18 AM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh

Quote:
Clicking on "Submit" took me to a page that told me

Typically, you'll get this error page if you submit a new post without having supplied a Subject. (Possibly you cut the "Aside removed" from your Kernel Panic? post, pasted it into a freshly-opened New Post page, but forgot to add a subject since your attention was already further down the page than the Subject field. I've done that a few times myself.)

Nope! (Edit: I've done that any number of times and was aware of the possibility.)

I won't say it isn't possible that that happened once, but it happened multiple times with both my "Kernel Panic?" post and with the one that initiated this thread.

I wonder whether it had something to do with the way UBB.threads deals, or, should I say, doesn't deal, with code? (I can't duplicate the
0;<Bóœ ?
û
anomaly tonight, so I can't experiment, but I think it may have happened only when I tried to "Submit" the anomalous red gibberish.)

Last edited by artie505; 08/14/11 07:22 AM.

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard