for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
yellow "new items" folders
#1278 08/17/09 07:01 PM
OP Offline

I'm noticing that forums with new or updated topics have yellow folders at the main menu. And then when I open the topic, one or more of the threads will be yellow as expected. But if I don't open any threads, and go back to the main menu, the forum icon goes white. When I reopen the forum, its threads remain yellow as expected.

Shouldn't the icons in the forum index remain yellow as long as one or more threads in the forum are unviewed or updated? It seems to change the forum to "nothing new" if you've merely listed the threads in the forum?

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Re: yellow "new items" folders
Virtual1 #1283 08/17/09 08:29 PM

But the Forum index is indicating that you have indeed read the list of threads page in that area regardless of whether you actually read the posts in them. I find it easier to just open the index, thread listings and threads in their own tabs and not worry about how the forum software re-interprets my actions.

iMac 2.7 GHz Core i5, 12 GB RAM, OS X 10.9, Int SATA 1 TB, Ext Fire 2 TB / 1 TB / 1 TB / 500 GB / 300 GB
Former MacFixIt Forums member since 11/17/99
www.rhubarbproductions.com
Re: yellow "new items" folders
Virtual1 #1300 08/17/09 09:54 PM

But what about the lurker? Say someone does just what you've mentioned. Now, back on the Forum Index Page, he/she wants to look at other Forum Topics Pages that he/she has not viewed that session, and has no intention of going back to any previously viewed Forum. If the folders remained yellow just because no threads were opened, the lurker doesn't have a visual clue about which ones have already been viewed. You're asking for it not to notice you've opened a Forum. It would be my hypothetical lurker's desire that it does notice.

The software is not set up to adjust to someone who might want to take a peek and come back after looking in on other forums to see if something more interesting is there and should be read first. It seems better the way it is than the way you suggest. Every action has a consequence. Now, if there was some "reverse action" or "nevermind button" that one could intentionally invoke, that would get around the dilemma for you, while still serving the needs of others with the opposite bent.

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard