for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New to Forum with Paint Question
#2888 09/04/09 12:17 PM
OP Offline

I just joined as well. I switched to MAC Os et al after too many blue screens on the PC. There are still things that I am used to on the PC that I wiah I had on the MAC, but mostly am pleased with the Mac.

Big thing I loved on PC was the Screen print option, then pasting it into Paint and then being able to manipulate it there. I have found grab it, but what about a simple paint program?

Last edited by dianne; 09/07/09 12:34 AM. Reason: created a new topic and edited subject line.
Re: New to Forum with a Paint Question
JustMeLeo #2902 09/04/09 05:53 PM
Banned
Banned

another alternative for Grab it to press Command+Shift+3. You can get GIMP, but that's like photoshop.

Last edited by dianne; 09/07/09 12:35 AM. Reason: revising subject lines.
JustMeLeo #2903 09/04/09 06:05 PM

Originally Posted By: JustMeLeo
I just joined as well. I switched to MAC Os et al after too many blue screens on the PC. There are still things that I am used to on the PC that I wiah I had on the MAC, but mostly am pleased with the Mac.

Big thing I loved on PC was the Screen print option, then pasting it into Paint and then being able to manipulate it there. I have found grab it, but what about a simple paint program?

Hi JustMeLeo

Intrigued by your question, I had a rummage around my iMac.

I assume you're on 10.4.x as a minimum, since you mention grab it?

Shift+Apple+3 will take a snapshot of the entire screen; Shift+Apple+4 will let you define the area you want to capture.

Once you've done either of those, a picture.png will appear on your desktop.

Click on it, and it fires up Preview automatically.

Preview, I learned today thanks to your enquiry, has image-manipulation built in. You can further select a part of the image and (assuming it's a photo of someone/something) you can change the contrast/sharpness/dark+light point and many other things associated with Photoshop and Flickr. Also, if you crop something out, that also appears on your desktop as a separate img file.

It's good. I'm impressed at this default software in OSX. What else did you want from a paint program which you miss?

Best wishes

Last edited by dianne; 09/07/09 12:35 AM.
JustMeLeo #2925 09/04/09 11:48 PM

In addition to the image-editing options available in Preview (found under the Tools menu, primarily via the Adjust Color menu item), if your Mac has the Developer Tools installed, you can apply a cornucopia of effects using Core Image Fun House, found in /Developer/Applications/Graphics Tools in both 10.4 and 10.5.

Last edited by dianne; 09/07/09 12:36 AM.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
Re: New to Forum with Paint Question
JustMeLeo #3130 09/07/09 12:43 AM

JustMeLeo,

Your post, its question, and the current replies deserve a separate thread focusing on your specific needs. To that end, I have detached your branch from tdbonney's topic, New to the Forum, and edited the subject line.

Welcome to FineTuned Mac. Let us know how it goes for you.

Back up everything you can't afford to lose: documents, mail, movies, music, photos, and other data and settings.
Re: New to Forum with Paint Question
JustMeLeo #3328 09/08/09 08:58 PM

One of the best simple paint programs availble on the Mac is Graphic Converter. It is inexpensive and quite good.

There are 3 kinds of people, those who can count, and those who can't.

Moderated by  cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard