FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Strong Password & Access Control
#13803 01/18/11 11:25 PM
dianne Offline OP
OP Offline

As a new iPhone user, I recently used AirPort Utility 5.5.2 to disable Access Control because I was having difficulty finding the phone's Media Access Control address.

I have since found it in iPhone -> Settings -> General -> About -> Wi-Fi Address and enabled Access Control again for the devices which can join the home network with the password.

My question is whether using both a strong password and access control are good practices?

Back up everything you can't afford to lose: documents, mail, movies, music, photos, and other data and settings.
Re: Strong Password & Access Control
dianne #13820 01/20/11 09:39 PM

A strong password is good practice under any circumstance. Hiding your MAC address won't keep it from those in the know who really want it, but it can't hurt.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #13822 01/20/11 11:04 PM

Originally Posted By: alternaut
A strong password is good practice under any circumstance. Hiding your MAC address won't keep it from those in the know who really want it, but it can't hurt.

I agree that discovering a MAC address is not too difficult. But being able to turn around and use that info to sneak into a network which is granting access only to specific devices (hardware addresses) would take some pretty crafty doing. [but i guess the guys in that van around the corner probably have the gizmos to do that sort of stuff. wink ]

Hal Itosis #14008 02/03/11 04:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Hal Itosis

I agree that discovering a MAC address is not too difficult. But being able to turn around and use that info to sneak into a network which is granting access only to specific devices (hardware addresses) would take some pretty crafty doing.

Not really. There are apps which will do it without any special knowledge on the user's part.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #14088 02/07/11 12:31 PM

Originally Posted By: tacit
Originally Posted By: Hal Itosis

I agree that discovering a MAC address is not too difficult. But being able to turn around and use that info to sneak into a network which is granting access only to specific devices (hardware addresses) would take some pretty crafty doing.

Not really. There are apps which will do it without any special knowledge on the user's part.

Which apps?

Hal Itosis #14093 02/07/11 09:27 PM

Are you asking me for a list of applications which can be used to do MAC address spoofing? I'm not sure that's really appropriate in this forum, but I reckon a few minutes with Google should satisfy your curiosity...

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #14097 02/08/11 04:00 AM

Well, i don't find any "apps" yet. Some special terminal commands do turn up, so... perhaps the truth lies somewhere in between my 'crafty doing' assertion and your 'no special knowledge' appraisal. [i still think the hacker would need to make some studious effort to succeed.]

Moderated by  cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard