of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Mac Operating Systems Jump to new posts
Re: Password question joemikeb 04/30/24 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by artie505
Originally Posted by joemikeb
You only have six digits but the like is you only get three bites at the apple and it becomes a useless brick. Not even the FBI could beat those odds
When I forgot my iPhone password I was given multiple "3 bite" tries, beginning a few minutes later and working its way up to more minutes than I cared to deal with (at which point I wiped my phone). Has that changed?

But as I said, the number of digits may be trivialized if a user opts for a pretty pattern, as is possible on an iPhone.

If I've never mentioned it, I learned during my attempts to guess my password that if your iPhone is not up to date, you can regain its use by restoring from a backup without knowing its password.

Sounds like you should get a job with the FBI. You could be earning an eight or nine digit salary with your technique. smile

Of course Apple might take out a contract on you as it could
put them out of business.
38 154 Read More
Lounge Jump to new posts
Re: Talk About Tech Support joemikeb 04/27/24 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by Gregg
Originally Posted by joemikeb
How do you repair a 47 year old computer that is 15,000,000,000 miles away? (Yes I really meant 15 Billion) This may be the ultimate computer tech support challenge.

More challenging than PEBCAK? wink

Don't get me started on my story about getting called in to work at 3:00 on a Sunday morning by a Senior Executive Hardware Engineer because, my previous day's software release didn't work. I got there and found the Senior Executive Hardware Engineer Jerk pouting in his lab. After he vociferously chewed me out over the software's failure, I refrained from telling him the only failure was between his ears, crawled under his desk and plugged in his PC. The "software" problem solved, I went to my cubicle and got a head start on the next week's work.

(In case you are wondering, he never had the grace to acknowledge his own error or even say thank you. But, I did give my whole team a three-day weekend that week.)
3 39 Read More
Mac Applications Jump to new posts
Re: Carbon copy Cloner 7 joemikeb 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by djxpress
Does this mean you can roll back your computer to the previous snapshot if you mess up a system file or other file (for example accidentally deleting the address book data file or something)? Sort of how the old Time Machine used to be able to wipe out the entire "Macintosh HD" and overwrite it with the last snapshot essentially "rolling" back your computer to whatever time you did the TM backup. Ever since they changed to APFS you can't use TM like that anymore.
No, it does not. Time Machine, or rather tmutil, can no longer restore system files because IT CANNOT IMAGE SYSTEM FILES. That has nothing to do with APFS other than it supports snapshots. The actual bootable system is a sealed and encrypted snapshot with millions of links to files in both the system and data volumes. That snapshot cannot be restored without breaking it. It must be rebuilt, which can only be done by reinstalling the OS. "Why the change?" is a question that can be answered in one word, SECURITY.
16 445 Read More
iTunes, iPhone, iPod, iPad, Apple TV Jump to new posts
Re: "Find My" not finding my iPhone ryck 04/27/24 02:22 PM
Oops, spoke too soon. This morning the iPhone shows my wife at home (she is not) after pulling up a location from yesterday. I shutdown the iPhone and, after a restart "Find My" pulled up an even older location - the day before yesterday. iMac and iPad continue to show the correct location.

Update: To try something different, I went to Settings and toggled Airplane Mode "On" and then back "Off". My iPhone then correctly showed my wife's location. Stay tuned.
10 130 Read More
Peripherals Jump to new posts
Re: usb back up jaybass 04/25/24 04:05 PM
I feel somewhat foolish in not checking a third external hd which could have a copy of my photos. Because it was the oldest one, I thought it wouldn't be of much use but of course, that would the most likely one to have a copy. How they disappeared in the first place, I have no idea. But I do appreciate your input as usual.

jaybass
8 175 Read More
Audio, Video, Photography Jump to new posts
install previous version of Photoshop CC jchuzi 04/24/24 02:00 PM
I updated Photoshop CC to the latest version and it would not open (there was a warning that it might not be compatible with my OS). The previous version seemed to be OK so I accessed How to install previous versions of your Creative Cloud apps. The reversion to the previous version was a piece of cake and all is well. I have read many complaints about Adobe but I salute them for making this process very easy.
0 23 Read More