An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Networking Jump to new posts
Re: Safari 15, reactions? joemikeb 10/24/21 11:12 PM
Originally Posted by artie505
The icon drop-down specifically refers to content blockers, which suggests that other types of extensions are excluded from its functionality.
You are right — I was too focused on Content Blockers, but it is the content blockers that are most often the culprit or at least that has always worked for me.

The develop Menu is an all-or-nothing extension on-off for all sites while Safari > Preferences offers more nuanced control. Without the aid of the Develop Menu, Safari > Preferences > Extensions permits tuning off individual extensions including content blockers for all web sites and Safari > Preferences > Web sites permits site-by-site control of a wide variety of functions including permitting content blockers and other extensions.

I prefer a flyswatter to a howitzer for swatting annoyances. 😀
56 711 Read More
Mac Operating Systems Jump to new posts
Re: The Monterey Report Beta 10 joemikeb 10/24/21 08:00 PM
SUMMARY

Monterey (macOS 12) is scheduled for full release tomorrow October 25, 2021. My Current status is…
  • I have no remaining incompatible apps (Rogue Amoeba just completed updating their last app and SoftRAID has a running gold master scheduled for Tuesday release)
  • Montrerey compatilble Etrecheck pro delivered an almost cleanbill of health (there are still a couple of unsigned apps but they run just fine in the Monterey gold master)
  • My system is rock solid stable and has been for days now.
  • the learning curve has been steeper than I expected, but much of that has been subsumed in subsequent betas.
  • The average user should encounter few surprises but the power user may find some additional security related changes and those who stick with or reverted to Big Sur will find they have a steeper learning curve to climb.
  • There are new features in Monterey that add significant utility for power users although it may take some rethinking to take full advantage of them.
  • One major feature, Universal Control, did not make it into macOS 12 — list it among Coming Attractions.
  • For clone fans there is no change from Big Sur nor is any change expected either by CCC or SD. (Once Apple gets moving kernel extensions into the user rather than system area that may improve but given the multi-tiered boot structure I am not about to hold my breath waiting on bootable clones as we knew them in Mac OS X).

OPINION

Monterey is a significant step in the macOS evolution and certainly the most secure version yet. The new features are well thought out, and useful, but not particularly exciting.

SHOULD YOU UPGRADE?

I would, of course, say YES. The step to the next macOS 13(?) will only get higher.

THIS THREAD HAS OUTLIVED WHATEVER USEFULNESS IT HAD, IF ANY, SO I AM GOING TO CLOSE IT AT THIS POINT. IF YOU WISH TO RECORD YOUR OWN INSTALLATION SUCCESSES OR PROBLEMS THOSE CAN GO IN THREADS OF THEIR OWN.
26 1,002 Read More
Junkmail sneaks ryck 10/24/21 05:11 PM
I started getting some spam and, when the first piece arrived, I used to the Apple Mail "Rules" function to put in a 'Delete if it Contains', but then it kept showing up and I kept writing new rules. This morning I reviewed the rules written so far and found that addresses differed slightly.

6857.ugKl1l36iRjSdt84elbv@i8shux.d63rrwu7t5.us
6857.ugKl1l36iRjSdt84elbv@gua84k.gng2y96knq.us
6857.ugKl1l36iRjSdt84elbv@rxb2b5.wp22k437kv.us
6857.ugKl1l36iRjSdt84elbv@67dnhr.mv6wysa1p1.us

Everything is common up to the @ so I wrote a new rule that looks only for addresses "Containing" 6857.ugKl1l36iRjSdt84elbv@ Hopefully that'll do it. And, hopefully this experience will help anyone else with a similar issue.
0 16 Read More
Re: retrieving deleted emails artie505 10/23/21 08:17 PM
Have you got a SD! clone that's old enough to possibly include the emails you're looking for?
2 35 Read More
Re: APFS joemikeb 10/23/21 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by jchusi
Ever since APFS came out, I have been checking with Alsoft to see about DW being compatible. It has been a few years now (at least 3, I think), and nothing has happened. You can read Alsoft's take here. My guess is that DW will never be upgraded.
Disk Warrior is based on a deep understanding of the intricacies of HFS+ which is conceptualized around rotating mechanical media and APFS is a conceptual clean sheet of paper re-do for the file system for use on radically different media that renders much of what DW does unnecessary it not infeasible, so you may be right. At the same time Disk Utility has evolved to do a credible job of rebuilding directories and costs 100% less than DW and is the only tool I have actually needed in years.
4 49 Read More
Lounge Jump to new posts
Re: Monetizing your movements Ira L 10/23/21 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by ryck
Originally Posted by Ira L
Not surprising, and equally not surprising there are apps for which tracking location can be a good thing. One I use on my iPhone is called Charity Miles and for every mile I walk, run, bike, etc.—when I tell the app to do so—donates 25¢/mile to a charity of my choice.
That's a really great idea, and a perfect example of the good that can come of technological advances. It'd be very, very disappointing if they thought extra money could be made by selling locations. Does their site have any "How we handle your information" type of written assurance?

Yes, and their privacy policy states that while they own the information they collect, they will only use it to communicate with you and the charity you have selected.
3 40 Read More
iTunes, iPhone, iPod, iPad, Apple TV Jump to new posts
Re: Ipad how search a pdf, and how find apps? kevs 10/22/21 06:55 PM
Joe, fascinating, will note all this.. Workarounds are way too much of a hassle, but my idea, which is also a hassle is probably best right?

And did not think of this while sitting comfortably the other day in my big chair with my ipad pro:

Just walk over to the next room and sit at the 27" imac and find the same pdf and do the search.

So I just did that finally now, and lo and behold, the search bar was right there upper right, and drills down into every part of the pdf beautifully, which confirms that still traditional OS blows away ios, IMO.

That said, everything you have written is fantastic, to know for future frustrations with IOS....
8 121 Read More
Mac Applications Jump to new posts
Re: Contacts: getting that extension in kevs 10/22/21 06:39 PM
Ira, thanks, will test 2, , then 3 commas... ...
4 86 Read More
Re: How do I restore Calendar data? joemikeb 10/20/21 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by ryck
Whew!! Lifesaver....that did it. Along with a big thank-you, I'd add a couple of points.

• when you click on Restore, TM requests a Restore/Replace instruction for each folder
• the restoration didn't get done until I did a restart, at which point it was only a couple of minutes
• if you have to re-enter events that occur after the TM Restore date, it helps to have a wife who dutifully writes all appointments into her paper calendar in the kitchen
I just re-read this and realized adding an extra step would have prevented the necessity of a restart.
Originally Posted by Improved Process
  1. Quit Calendar and any other app that uses Calendar
  2. Press ⇧⌘G and enter ~/Library/Calendars (be sure to include the tilde (~) character.)
  3. On the Menu Bar select the Time Machine icon and from the drop down menu select Enter Time Machine and a Time Machine frame will appear around the ~/Library/Calendars window.
  4. Using the Time scale on the right side of the Time Machine frame scroll back in time to a point where the calendars were known good
  5. Select any file or folder in the ~/Library/Calendars window and press ⌘A to choose all of the files and folders in the window
  6. Click on the Restore Tab
  7. Choose the option to Replace the existing files
The update could not be completed because the files were open and in use.
9 122 Read More
Re: file vault jaybass 10/19/21 02:31 PM
Having read the following, I will try file vault "on"

Profile photo for David Blache
David Blache
, Mac user and developer since the 1990s
Updated 1 year ago · Author has 9.9K answers and 7.9M answer views
There are virtually no cons.

Contrary to what another answer here claims, FileVault takes only a minute or so to enable and works quietly in the background to encrypt your data with no noticeable slowdown. You can use your computer normally while it does its thing.

Also, when you enable it, you are given a recovery key so that if you forget your password you can still access it with the recovery key. You can even choose to store the recovery key in your iCloud account for safe keeping. So forgetting your password isn’t as big of an issue as some want you to believe.

The encryption it uses is very secure. With your data encrypted even if someone removes the hard drive or SSD, they cannot access your data.

You really have no excuse not to use FileVault on any recent modem Mac. It does a fine job of protecting your data.

Jaybass
6 79 Read More
Lounge Jump to new posts
Re: Ad astra: another passing. jchuzi 10/18/21 04:23 PM
Colin Powell He was the only Republican that I respected.
862 2,799,161 Read More
Lounge Jump to new posts
Re: Coronavirus information: assorted web links jchuzi 10/18/21 11:22 AM
Proof that Einstein was right about human stupidity being infinite: Threats, Resignations and 100 New Laws: Why Public Health Is in Crisis
195 29,964 Read More