An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Peripherals
Jump to new posts Re: SSD fails SMART by jchuzi @ Today at 04:14 PM

It appears that it is only possible to encrypt the boot drive with FileVault. Does that mean that I would have to boot from the defective SSD (it is a clone, after all) and then encrypt it? I'm thinking that it would be easier to drill several holes
Peripherals
Jump to new posts Re: SSD fails SMART by joemikeb @ Today at 02:46 PM

Note that is SECURE erase that is not available. You can erase/reformat an encrypted SSD, I did it just a few days ago but that was a simple erase that only erased the volume directory. The content of the drive remained as encrypted text which will b
Mac OS X Applications
Jump to new posts Re: Sending email reminders from Calendar by Ira L @ Today at 01:17 PM

I think the question is sending to a Protomail account. The responses seem to be about sending from Protomail.
Peripherals
Jump to new posts Re: SSD fails SMART by jchuzi @ Today at 10:34 AM

According to Erase a volume using Disk Utility on Mac, a Secure Erase is not possible with an SSD. "With a solid-state drive (SSD), secure erase options are not available in Disk Utility. For more security, consider turning on FileVault encryp
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts Re: Freezes in 10.14.6 by joemikeb @ Today at 08:09 AM

Originally Posted By: artie505I'm going to keep working with Activity Monitor open and see what I can see; it's just occurred to me that the process at the top of the CPU column immediately after the freezes end (AM freezes too.) may be my culprit. (
Peripherals
Jump to new posts Re: SSD fails SMART by joemikeb @ Today at 06:41 AM

Originally Posted By: artie505Is more actually more, or is it less? A valid question! My antipathy for the mimalist SMART pass/fail is based on two different drives that failed completely, but based on an aggregate SMART score Disk Utility still r
Peripherals
Jump to new posts Re: SSD fails SMART by joemikeb @ Today at 06:04 AM

A simple erase erases ONLY the volume directory and leaves the data untouched. Granted the data is not as organized as it would be on an HD and therefore much harder to piece together, but given enoughvdesire, time, and money it is potentially recove
Peripherals
Jump to new posts Re: SSD fails SMART by jchuzi @ Today at 05:36 AM

I expect to receive my new SSD in a few days. In the meantime, I need to erase the defective SSD before discarding it. Is a simple erase sufficient for an SSD or should I use a 7-way erase?
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts Re: Freezes in 10.14.6 by artie505 @ Today at 12:18 AM

Originally Posted By: joemikebThe re-install should have eliminated the OS or anything in the OS as a problem. Anything other than a bug, that is. I'd revert to 10.14.5, but going backwards is more of a PIA than I care to deal with, particularly si
Peripherals
Jump to new posts Re: SSD fails SMART by artie505 @ Yesterday at 11:33 PM

I kinda screwed up my earlier reporting, but, happily, not beyond redemption. Thanks for nudging me in the right direction. First, the app joemike inquired about is SAT SMART Driver, and these are the DriveDx and Micromat pages on the subject; the D
Peripherals
Jump to new posts Re: SSD fails SMART by artie505 @ Yesterday at 10:39 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikebI notice the DriveDX report does not show the individual drives in your array and the actual SMART attribute values are not included in this report so in essence this becomes an elaborate SMART pass/fail similar to Disk
Peripherals
Jump to new posts Re: SSD fails SMART by artie505 @ Yesterday at 10:29 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikebWith an ATA attached HDs or SSDs DS not only reports the drive's attributes but additionally in separate screens details about the drive itself, its capabilities, can trigger shut or long self-tests, and a log of previou
Mac OS X Applications
Jump to new posts Re: Sending email reminders from Calendar by joemikeb @ Yesterday at 06:35 PM

I am not sure I am completely understanding you yet, but you will find instructions on installing the Protomail bridge and configuring Mail here. Once you have done that and paid to use Protonmail's servers you can configure Mail to prefer Protonmail
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts Re: Freezes in 10.14.6 by joemikeb @ Yesterday at 06:02 PM

The re-install should have eliminated the OS or anything in the OS as a problem. So now it is back to Old Fashioned Troubleshooting101. This sounds like something is momentarily tying up the I/O subsystem. Eliminate possible hardware problems by di
Mac OS X Applications
Jump to new posts Re: Sending email reminders from Calendar by deniro @ Yesterday at 05:23 PM

I have an account that I use with Mail and an online account (protonmail). The second is the one I would like to send reminders to.
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts Re: Freezes in 10.14.6 by artie505 @ Yesterday at 04:50 PM

Reinstalling macOS didn't help either...very frustrating!
Mac OS X Applications
Jump to new posts Re: screenshot tips by artie505 @ Yesterday at 04:31 PM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi...particularly in disabling the floating thumbnail that I found very annoying. YUP! Thanks for that.
Mac OS X Applications
Jump to new posts screenshot tips by jchuzi @ Yesterday at 03:42 PM

I found this article very helpful, particularly in disabling the floating thumbnail that I found very annoying. How to take a screenshot on a Mac - the comprehensive guide
Peripherals
Jump to new posts Re: SSD fails SMART by freelance @ Yesterday at 03:18 PM

Quote:What was the "other app"? There are others here who might like to know. This page on BinaryFruit's site will explain: https://binaryfruit.com/drivedx/usb-drive-support I downloaded the DriveDx installer from their site and just follo
Mac OS X Applications
Jump to new posts Re: Sending email reminders from Calendar by joemikeb @ Yesterday at 02:06 PM

The sending email account is selected in Mail > Preferences > Composing > "Send new messages from:"
Peripherals
Jump to new posts Re: SSD fails SMART by joemikeb @ Yesterday at 01:11 PM

Originally Posted By: freelanceI had the SSD mounted in a USB caddy. DriveDx said if I wanted to get a report about the drive, I had to install another app, which I did. A reboot later, I got more info about the SSD. What was the "other app"
Peripherals
Jump to new posts Re: SSD fails SMART by freelance @ Yesterday at 11:37 AM

Quote:The point is, if you are using SSDs for long term historical or archival storage of data, the data needs to be "refreshed" (re-written) every few years to maintain its integrity. Data on magnetic media such as Hard Drives is longer li
Peripherals
Jump to new posts Re: SSD fails SMART by freelance @ Yesterday at 11:20 AM

Please elucidate! The USB standard does not support reporting SMART values. How were you able to accomplish this feat of legerdemain? I had the SSD mounted in a USB caddy. DriveDx said if I wanted to get a report about the drive, I had to install an
Mac OS X Applications
Jump to new posts Sending email reminders from Calendar by deniro @ Yesterday at 09:16 AM

Is there a way to send email reminders from Calendar to a protonmail account? I ought to able to do it from Internet Accounts in the System Prefs. but I haven't figured out how.
Peripherals
Jump to new posts Re: SSD fails SMART by joemikeb @ Yesterday at 08:42 AM

Originally Posted By: freelanceDriveDx reported the SSD I use very rarely for Snow Leopard at 35% of its lifespan. As it's over five years old, that's not surprising. But what did surprise me is that the 80Gb IBM SSD that I keep on the shelf as backu
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >