An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts Re: Catalina download failure by joemikeb @ 40 minutes 52 seconds ago

Wise people always have a known good backup or clone before upgrading. I seldom remember to do that so I guess that tells you how much credence to put in my advice. I suggested the Recovery Drive as that would eliminate any problem emanating from you
Lounge
Jump to new posts Re: changing username by ryck @ Today at 10:39 AM

Originally Posted By: artie505I wonder if it's possible without re-registering? I'd guess that it can't be done within the same registration. I bumped into the name issue when changing from MaxFixit to FineTunedMac. I don't recall all of the specific
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts Re: Catalina download failure by iBozz @ Today at 07:08 AM

Originally Posted By: joemikebYou can eliminate the possibility of any problem being caused by errors in your system by shutting down your computer, waiting 15 or 20 seconds rebooting while holding Option+Command+R run the installer from the Recovery
Lounge
Jump to new posts Re: changing username by artie505 @ Today at 03:19 AM

Good question. I wonder if it's possible without re-registering? (After too many years, eBay years finally got around to allowing members to change their user names without re-registering and losing their feedback in the balance, but I don't think
Lounge
Jump to new posts changing username by deniro @ Yesterday at 04:40 PM

How do I change my username?
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts Re: Catalina now available by jchuzi @ Yesterday at 04:09 PM

Early adopters beware: Missing message issues plague Mail users in macOS Catalina
iTunes, iPhone, iPod, iPad, Apple TV
just tested, they don't get overridden, actually they override the section of my favorites, but the stickers I don't want just stay there.
Thanks Joe, I see the ellipse ..., but when I click it I don't see anything about editing. thanks Ira, they are not sliding to the left, seem fixed.
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts Re: Catalina download failure by joemikeb @ Yesterday at 09:29 AM

You can eliminate the possibility of any problem being caused by errors in your system by shutting down your computer, waiting 15 or 20 seconds rebooting while holding Option+Command+R run the installer from the Recovery Drive. Note: you may have to
Getting rid of them permanently is one thing, getting them out of sight is another. If you slide you emoji listings to the left, those "super-emojis" will vanish from view, and your usual set will appear each and every time thereafter. At
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts Re: Catalina download failure by iBozz @ Yesterday at 08:56 AM

My ISP doesn't throttle connections, so they say, and I've no evidence that they ever have. Anyway, I've tried via my own UK ISP and also via FON, a Spanish network to which I have access, represented in the UK by BT. The result has been failure vi
Lounge
Jump to new posts Re: Maybe 45 needs to end it all with a .45 by joemikeb @ Yesterday at 08:26 AM

If you are an iOS user and follow this thread you might be interested in something just discovered in the iOS App Store the Dump Trump for Messages sticker pack. A collection of his famous — Make that infamous — Facial expressions and gestures yo
FineTunedMac Feedback
Jump to new posts Re: Update to Profile? by joemikeb @ Yesterday at 08:17 AM

Don’t you hate it when that happens. I am a public beta tester and I have any number of times encountered an error in a beta that after thorough testing and analysis, I report to Apple. Then come in the next morning and cannot replicate the error.
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts Re: Catalina download failure by joemikeb @ Yesterday at 08:09 AM

The only time I have been cut off in mid-download in the last fifteen or twenty years has been when there was a damaged download file otherwise the download software is sufficiently robust to resume the download at the point where it was interrupted.
Jump to new posts Re: How get rid of Apples Annoying stickers in iMessag by joemikeb @ Yesterday at 07:40 AM

I have no idea where the unicorns came from, it is amazing what apps can and will decide to add a set oif emoji to the list — And they don’t ask permission. However, if you will scroll the list of emoji sets all the way to the right there should
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts Re: Catalina download failure by artie505 @ Yesterday at 02:28 AM

I had already d/l'ed Catalina successfully, but I tried again just now to see if anything was up, and I was successful a second time. I wonder if the UK d/l comes from a different server than the U.S. d/l?Have you maybe run into an ISP/bandwidth prob
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts Re: Catalina download failure by iBozz @ Yesterday at 01:42 AM

Many thanks. As I said, I'll keep trying next week. The 4GB figure is an estimate but I chanced to be looking at the screen shortly before a couple of failures and that is the point it had reached. Unfortunately, the error message covers the progr
Thanks Joe here is what I see when I want to respond to a pre=existing message: https://i.postimg.cc/6QzDj9rm/Screen-Shot-2019-10-11-at-4-33-06-PM.jpg Those horse on the left, I did not add them, and have no idea why they are there or how to get r
FineTunedMac Feedback
Jump to new posts Re: Update to Profile? by iBozz @ 10/11/19 12:44 PM

Just because I'm not paranoid, it doesn't mean that they aren't out to get me! Now I can't replicate it either and I have now updated my profile. Very odd, but thanks very much for your reply.
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts Re: Catalina download failure by joemikeb @ 10/11/19 12:35 PM

Originally Posted By: iBozzThanks, that makes sense but I find it a little bit odd that it always [seems to] fail at the same 4+GB rather than it just not starting the download in the first place! I can think of a couple of reasons for the ~4GB failu
FineTunedMac Feedback
Jump to new posts Re: Update to Profile? by joemikeb @ 10/11/19 12:31 PM

In light of this and your difficulty downloading Catalina, you are well and truly in an electronic Bermuda Triangle. I Am unable to duplicate your profile update problem — that does not mean it isn't real just that I cannot duplicate it. Given this
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts Re: Catalina download failure by iBozz @ 10/11/19 12:20 PM

Thanks, that makes sense but I find it a little bit odd that it always [seems to] fail at the same 4+GB rather than it just not starting the download in the first place! I'll try again next week. Thanks again.
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts Re: Catalina download failure by joemikeb @ 10/11/19 12:13 PM

I have seen other reports of users having difficulty downloading or installing Catalina. It is not unusual with a major new release like Catalina for the servers to get hammered with heavy traffic resulting in disconnects and other download errors. U
Is this what you are talking about? These are considered a major feature of iOS Message and cannot be deleted. However there are several apps available that will provide additional emoji sets that can be used in messages which can be deleted if you d
FineTunedMac Feedback
Jump to new posts Update to Profile? by iBozz @ 10/11/19 11:27 AM

I've just returned to these august and highly esteemed forums, to ask a question on Catalina, after an absence of a few years and I decided to update my Profile. However, having so done and after hitting Submit, I get an error message of: It does n
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >