An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Lounge
Jump to new posts Bad Alexa! Bad! by grelber @ 1 minute 52 seconds ago

Parrot uses Amazon Alexa to order items while owner is away
Lounge
Jump to new posts Re: for cat lovers by artie505 @ Today at 02:29 PM

Missed the 2nd one because "Find" couldn't find the embedded text. Thanks.
Lounge
Jump to new posts Re: for cat lovers by jchuzi @ Today at 02:17 PM

Schrodinger #1 and Schrodinger #2 I also appreciate Kliban's cats and my wife puts stickers of his art on the outside of Christmas cards.
Lounge
Jump to new posts Re: for cat lovers by artie505 @ Today at 12:38 PM

Some very clever ideas, but I was hoping for a recipe book that would one-up my local Chinese joint. My two favorite cat-toons are from Kliban's "Cat" book:".... quick as a wink, ....""Quatre cinq!" (Can't find an ima
Lounge
Jump to new posts for cat lovers by jchuzi @ Today at 12:10 PM

For those who appreciate our feline friends, take a look at Snorgtees. The two tees about Schrodinger's cat are my favorites.
Mac OS X Applications
Jump to new posts Re: Microsoft Office crashing in Mojave by jchuzi @ Yesterday at 07:53 AM

Thanks for that correction about APFS volumes and Mojave.
Mac OS X Applications
Jump to new posts Re: Microsoft Office crashing in Mojave by joemikeb @ Yesterday at 07:37 AM

Originally Posted By: jchuziAFIK, only Disk Utility is capable of repairing Mojave volumes. Alsoft clearly states that Disk Warrior cannot do this, and DW won't let you even if you try. TechTool Pro gives a warning, on launch, that it is not fully co
Mac OS X Applications
Jump to new posts Re: Microsoft Office crashing in Mojave by andycap @ 12/16/18 03:44 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505 It's both ironic and amusing that of the three pre-eminent repair utilities, only one is compatible with the first problem to have arisen in (I think) a few years that may actually require their sort of functionality.
Mac OS X Applications
Jump to new posts Re: Microsoft Office crashing in Mojave by artie505 @ 12/16/18 03:16 PM

Drive Genius Gets Mojave Support! It's both ironic and amusing that of the three pre-eminent repair utilities, only one is compatible with the first problem to have arisen in (I think) a few years that may actually require their sort of functionalit
Mac OS X Applications
Jump to new posts Re: Microsoft Office crashing in Mojave by jchuzi @ 12/16/18 01:34 PM

AFIK, only Disk Utility is capable of repairing Mojave volumes. Alsoft clearly states that Disk Warrior cannot do this, and DW won't let you even if you try. TechTool Pro gives a warning, on launch, that it is not fully compatible with Mojave. Both A
Mac OS X Applications
Jump to new posts Re: Microsoft Office crashing in Mojave by joemikeb @ 12/16/18 10:11 AM

Originally Posted By: jchuziYou might be able to empty the trash via the Files menu of OnyX OnyX uses "sudo rm" as does Cocktail, TinkerTool System, MacPilot, and probably half hundred other utilities. There is no extra effectiveness b
Mac OS X Applications
Jump to new posts Re: Microsoft Office crashing in Mojave by artie505 @ 12/16/18 07:41 AM

Originally Posted By: jchuziYou might be able to empty the trash via the Files menu of OnyX I was thinking that booting into another volume might work, much the same as we once booted into OS 9 to deal with trash that OS X couldn't handle.
Mac OS X Applications
Jump to new posts Re: Microsoft Office crashing in Mojave by jchuzi @ 12/16/18 07:36 AM

You might be able to empty the trash via the Files menu of OnyX
Mac OS X Applications
Jump to new posts Re: Microsoft Office crashing in Mojave by artie505 @ 12/16/18 06:24 AM

Originally Posted By: jchuziIf the Combo doesn't solve your problem, you could try reinstalling the OS via Recovery Mode. Bite your tongue!
Mac OS X Applications
Jump to new posts Re: Microsoft Office crashing in Mojave by jchuzi @ 12/16/18 04:49 AM

If the Combo doesn't solve your problem, you could try reinstalling the OS via Recovery Mode.
Mac OS X Applications
Jump to new posts Re: Microsoft Office crashing in Mojave by andycap @ 12/15/18 08:46 PM

Thanks for your suggestions Artie. Until my Mojave update, I've NEVER, in 25 years of Macery, had any problems whatsoever with a single aspect of macOS (Systems 6 - 10) which I couldn't solve once I'd removed the dumb and stupid hat. Thanks also f
Audio, Video, Photography
Jump to new posts Re: Syncing iPhone photos back to iMac is problematic by Rick Deckard @ 12/15/18 05:03 PM

I think I have solved the issue. I deleted the last shown photo from within Photos on my Mac (the one at the bottom of the window). None of the files in iCloud would download after the date of that last photo, but after removing it, closing Photos, a
The safety net is iCloud always has the full resolution image and is therefore available as a fail safe. But personally I would not run a clone diluting the transition phase. No specific reason other than I would not be comfortable with the resulting
Jump to new posts Re: Syncing iPhone photos back to iMac is problematic by Rick Deckard @ 12/15/18 02:31 AM

Originally Posted By: joemikebI will spare you my diatribe on why cloning is an inadequate replacement for Time Machine, but I encourage you to switch to "optimized" images on both your iMac and iPhone. They take up a LOT less storage space
Mac OS X Applications
Jump to new posts Re: Microsoft Office crashing in Mojave by artie505 @ 12/15/18 01:13 AM

The fallout from macOS having become so trouble free is my having forgotten what I learned in "Troubleshooting 101". Originally Posted By: andycapI upgraded to Mojave (10.14.2) the other day.... The first thing I should have suggested whe
Lounge
Jump to new posts Re: Ad astra: another passing. by ryck @ 12/14/18 12:43 PM

The great jazz singer, Nancy Wilson. Do yourself a favour and check out her version of Can't Take My Eyes Off of You.
Mac OS X Applications
Jump to new posts Re: Microsoft Office crashing in Mojave by andycap @ 12/14/18 03:32 AM

Originally Posted By: andycapWill no-one rid me of this turbulent priest? (apologies to Henry II) AppCleaner and other similar apps (I've used AppTrap for years) won't delete the offending file and I've now moved it out of harm's way into the Inco
Mac OS X Applications
Jump to new posts Re: Microsoft Office crashing in Mojave by grelber @ 12/14/18 12:52 AM

Originally Posted By: andycapI've tried everything I can think of including Terminal (somewhat nervously) but it stubbornly remains as an unwelcome reminder of my duel to the death with Office. I guess it will be presented very time I empty the tras
Mac OS X Applications
Jump to new posts Re: Microsoft Office crashing in Mojave by andycap @ 12/13/18 05:30 PM

Have just binned Office2016 in what has turned out to be a Herculean task. The Aegean stables were strewn with all manner of #$!& now shovelled into the Trash but I'm still left with a single item in the Trash which the finder says is in use. It
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts Re: Do You Have Battery Life Problems in Mojave? by artie505 @ 12/13/18 08:58 AM

Thanks for the link, but its suggestions are pretty much the same old generic ones that are rehashed every time there's a battery issue and as general procedures between issues. Unfortunately, though, it doesn't even consider the possibility of a Mo
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >