An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts Re: Partitions can get rid of? by joemikeb @ Today at 06:52 AM

Originally Posted By: kevsThanks Joe this APfs is all new as it's mandatory to format the boot to apfs, (not data partitions that can still be apple journaled) for super dupers workaround due the Catalinas mayhem created by Apple. Here is overview on
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts Re: More trash talk by jchuzi @ Today at 02:45 AM

I had that issue of "Recovered Files" in previous OSs, but it seems to have disappeared in Catalina. The reason? I don't have a clue.
Mac OS X System
Originally Posted By: joemikebWhat is that vitamin that is supposed to help our memory? I believe it's B12. I haven't had time to double-check because I've been busy looking for the train Jon mentioned.
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts More trash talk by ryck @ Today at 01:18 AM

This is not urgent in any way....I'm just curious. Once in a while, before emptying the trash, I'll double-check to ensure I haven't trashed something in error. There are always a bunch of folders entitled "Recovered files". Currently ther
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts Re: Partitions can get rid of? by kevs @ Yesterday at 10:19 PM

Thanks Joe this APfs is all new as it's mandatory to format the boot to apfs, (not data partitions that can still be apple journaled) for super dupers workaround due the Catalinas mayhem created by Apple. Here is overview on desktop: [img]https://i.p
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts Re: What the devil??? by joemikeb @ Yesterday at 04:58 PM

By default deleted files go into the Trash folder on the same drive. So you could have been seeing files in the Trash folder of another drive that had not been emptied. 💡
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts Re: Partitions can get rid of? by joemikeb @ Yesterday at 04:49 PM

APFS is a very different from the HFS+ file system Apple has used for decades and there is a hierarchy of different structures. The base of this hierarchy is called a "Container". The Container encapsulates both the drive hardware and the
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts Re: What the devil??? by artie505 @ Yesterday at 04:48 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikebOriginally Posted By: Ira LIt is also interesting that with a few exceptions, the icons for many of the items are the generic app icon. This might indicate they are old, out-of-date or…? You raise an interesting poi
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts Re: Partitions can get rid of? by kevs @ Yesterday at 03:42 PM

Thanks Joe, sadly, I don't understand most of that so I'm discombobulated.. dealing with the new OS glitches Apple has wrought upon Clone software. may post some screenshots here soon.... I know I did some partition few years back on the desktop ma
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts Re: Partitions can get rid of? by joemikeb @ Yesterday at 02:55 PM

Those are APFS Volumes, not partitions, (there is a significant difference). There are actually four volumes Recovery Preboot System Data that comprise a Catalina installation and all are absolutely essential to the functioning of the system. Finde
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts Re: What the devil??? by joemikeb @ Yesterday at 02:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Ira LIt is also interesting that with a few exceptions, the icons for many of the items are the generic app icon. This might indicate they are old, out-of-date or…? You raise an interesting point. Since the icon is containe
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts Partitions can get rid of? by kevs @ Yesterday at 01:52 PM

I have partitions on Mac HD, desktop and laptop, OS and Data, but turns out only using OS.. Anyway to get rid of data partition, so fold into OS one? Less clutter, thanks.
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts Re: Option Key wont bring up other volumes on reboot by jchuzi @ Yesterday at 09:26 AM

At my age, my train of thought leaves the station without me.
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts Re: Option Key wont bring up other volumes on reboot by joemikeb @ Yesterday at 09:20 AM

Originally Posted By: artie505That echos what kevs said in his post #55127 in this thread. What is that vitamin that is supposed to help our memory? I forgot the name, but I may need to take it. 🤪
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts Re: What the devil??? by joemikeb @ Yesterday at 09:16 AM

Originally Posted By: jchuziNow, the question is, how did this happen in the first place? Good question and one to for which I don't even have a guess, much less an answer. I should point out the ability to delete apps that come "in the box&qu
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts Re: What the devil??? by Ira L @ Yesterday at 08:53 AM

It is also interesting that with a few exceptions, the icons for many of the items are the generic app icon. This might indicate they are old, out-of-date or…?
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts Re: What the devil??? by jchuzi @ Yesterday at 06:06 AM

Now, the question is, how did this happen in the first place?
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts Re: What the devil??? by artie505 @ Yesterday at 05:56 AM

Originally Posted By: jchuziDo the system-protected items show up in their proper place in your internal HD (e.g. apps in /Applications)? No, and they shouldn't. They're all apps, etc. that I never use, so I booted into a clone and trashed them.
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts Re: Option Key wont bring up other volumes on reboot by artie505 @ Yesterday at 05:51 AM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb...yesterday I heard Catalina dynamically creates hundreds, perhaps thousands, of new folders and creates its own virtual organization at boot time. I haven't verified this but it was from an authoritative developer sou
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts Re: Option Key wont bring up other volumes on reboot by joemikeb @ Yesterday at 05:08 AM

I'm not sure when the change was made, but I know bluetooth kicks in very early now. As I said, I believe it is during the Pre-boot cycle in Catalina, but it has required a "cold boot" for some time now. Apple's instructions are equivocal o
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts Re: What the devil??? by jchuzi @ Yesterday at 02:47 AM

That's definitely weird. Do the system-protected items show up in their proper place in your internal HD (e.g. apps in /Applications)?
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts What the devil??? by artie505 @ 07/08/20 11:16 PM

I just looked in the trash and found THIS! The three music files belong; I just trashed them. But everything else in there was trashed immediately after I reran the 10.15.5 Combo on June 24th, and I've emptied the trash countless times since then.
Mac OS X System
Originally Posted By: joemikebBluetooth initializes very early in the Catalina boot sequence, I believe it is during the preboot, and you can do things such as booting from the recovery drive, safe boot, , etc. using an Apple wireless keyboard wirele
Mac OS X System
Joe/ others, thanks. Joe tested, cold shutdown worked! No need for cord.
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts Re: Option Key wont bring up other volumes on reboot by freelance @ 07/08/20 02:40 PM

Quote:... try connecting your keyboard using the charging cable. Thanks for that tip! It may be obvious, but I never thought of it.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >