An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Lounge
Jump to new posts Re: The thread formerly known as: Maybe 45 ... by grelber @ Yesterday at 12:55 AM

This Land of Denial and Death COVID-19 and the dark side of American exceptionalism.
Mac OS X System
According to one developer they are stalled on upgrading from the legacy system extensions because they are waiting for Apple documentation and coding standards on the changed APIs An operating system to test the revised code on
Lounge
Jump to new posts Re: The thread formerly known as: Maybe 45 ... by artie505 @ 03/29/20 03:44 PM

It'd be the ultimate COVfefe Klatch.
Lounge
Jump to new posts Re: The thread formerly known as: Maybe 45 ... by alternaut @ 03/29/20 11:15 AM

Originally Posted By: artie505Can't argue with that, but I doubt that all of them would be happy to drink COV-aID for him if they realized that he was selling them down the river to benefit the rich. That's why he'd fall back on COVfefe, instead of
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts HEADSUP: A new issue with legacy apps has arisen. by joemikeb @ 03/29/20 10:20 AM

An unexpected popup appeared the other day that a system extension had been loaded that will not be supported in a future version of MacOS. Curious to know more I started a search and found this Apple Support article. Then Etrecheck Pro 6.2.3 (6C
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts Re: Do I have Malware? by Rain @ 03/29/20 12:08 AM

Ok, thanks Artie
Lounge
Jump to new posts Re: The thread formerly known as: Maybe 45 ... by grelber @ 03/29/20 12:00 AM

More disgusting crap out of the far right: Medical Expert Who Corrects Trump Is Now a Target of the Far Right Dr Anthony Fauci, the administration’s most outspoken advocate of emergency virus measures, faces a torrent of false claims that he is
Lounge
Jump to new posts Re: Coronavirus information: assorted web links by artie505 @ 03/28/20 07:32 PM

In a different vein: Stacks of Urns in Wuhan Prompt New Questions of Virus’s Toll The interesting thing about this article is that 2 months or so ago I saw an article in which someone who claimed to have had info from people in Wuhan said that the
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts Re: Do I have Malware? by artie505 @ 03/28/20 07:01 PM

Afterthought: I wonder if it was a situation like yours that prompted Apple to create a dedicated search engine plist?
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts Re: Do I have Malware? by artie505 @ 03/28/20 11:19 AM

I can't argue with that, so I'll suggest that you run, or, as the case may be, rerun the macOS Sierra 10.12.6 Combo Update. It affects Safari and may be your answer.
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts Re: Do I have Malware? by Rain @ 03/28/20 09:25 AM

Mainly because I have quite old kit and applications, which seem to falter after each upgrade, and to keep a bit of consistency over the 3 machines in our household. Thanks again.
iTunes, iPhone, iPod, iPad, Apple TV
Jump to new posts Re: iPad and noice-cancelling headphones by Ira L @ 03/28/20 08:29 AM

All's well that ends well. Glad it worked out.
Lounge
Jump to new posts Re: The thread formerly known as: Maybe 45 ... by grelber @ 03/28/20 03:46 AM

Seattle Is Living Your Coronavirus Future Among other things ... President Trump’s talk of opening the United States for business by Easter is greeted in this precinct of sanity as the heartless bluster of a career con man. The public radio statio
Lounge
Jump to new posts Re: Coronavirus information: assorted web links by grelber @ 03/28/20 03:37 AM

Seattle Is Living Your Coronavirus Future Among other things ... President Trump’s talk of opening the United States for business by Easter is greeted in this precinct of sanity as the heartless bluster of a career con man. The public radio stati
Lounge
Jump to new posts Re: Coronavirus information: assorted web links by grelber @ 03/28/20 02:47 AM

Originally Posted By: ryckWe'll be eating a lot more spaghetti and guzzling plenty of Ruffino. And guzzling is all you can do with ruffino and most chiantis. Now if you want to savor, try Nebbiolo, Nero d'Avola, Amarone, Barolo, Brunello, any Super
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts Re: Do I have Malware? by artie505 @ 03/28/20 02:24 AM

I've been meaning to ask if there's a particular reason that you're stuck in Sierra, because if you upgrade to just High Sierra your Safari will be updated to a later version, which may make your problem easier to deal with.
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts Re: Do I have Malware? by Rain @ 03/28/20 02:17 AM

Well I really appreciate your efforts, and at least my email is working again. Thanks
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts Re: Do I have Malware? by artie505 @ 03/28/20 01:29 AM

Totally not surprised. My previous post kinda sums up the situation from my point of view, but joemike may be able to help. (A "defaults write" command may be the way to go, but composing it is beyond my capability.)
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts Re: Do I have Malware? by Rain @ 03/28/20 01:14 AM

Hi Guys, I have tried the cookies suggestion and no luck.
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts Re: Do I have Malware? by artie505 @ 03/27/20 11:16 PM

I. AM. TRULY. BEAT!!! I booted into High Sierra, changed my search engine pref time after time after time, and searched with Find Any File after each change, and not a single search, either by name, file content, or last modified date identified wha
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts Re: Do I have Malware? by artie505 @ 03/27/20 04:53 PM

Find Any File is my go to. (I haven't even got a Spotlight icon in my menu bar!) I already tried your search and wasn't successful, but I tried without booting into High Sierra. I'm going to boot into it later and report back. Changing my search eng
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts Re: Do I have Malware? by joemikeb @ 03/27/20 04:42 PM

After numerous unsuccessful attempts using ⌘F (Finder) and Spotlight, I switched to Find Any File and searched for content containing DuckDuckGo (my chosen search engine) and a file name ending in .plist which turned up several files. I then opened
Lounge
And, on a hopeful note, I just watched a news item with a 102 year old Italian woman who has recovered from COVID. On doing a DuckDuckGo search, I found there was also an 86 year old woman and a 101 year old man who recovered from it. We'll be eatin
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts Re: Do I have Malware? by artie505 @ 03/27/20 04:17 PM

That's the Catalina file that changed when I changed my search engine pref, but it doesn't exist in either Rain's Sierra or my High Sierra. Nor have I been able to locate its exact equivalent. The last file I fingered exists in both High Sierra and
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts Re: Do I have Malware? by joemikeb @ 03/27/20 03:21 PM

Artie you were right they first time the search engine setting is in ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Safari/Data/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist or at least that is the case on my system running MacOS 10.15.4. Why the directory structure
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >