An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Mac Desktops & Notebooks
Jump to new posts MacBook Pro recall by artie505 @ Today at 12:23 AM

Hah! After making an appointment to bring my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) to the Genius Bar today to get a bulging battery replaced (60 days after my AppleCare expired...I just wasn't paying attention ) I just found out that Apple annou
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts Re: Santa Catalina is running for me... by artie505 @ Yesterday at 10:01 PM

"Gorgeous" is an understatement for the desktop; it's truly a gem!
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts Santa Catalina is running for me... by joemikeb @ Yesterday at 06:57 PM

After downloading and launching the Catalina install tool, using the install tool to download the 6.45GB Catalina installation package, waiting out the usual macOS installation process being presented with a window identifying the sole remaining 32
Networking
Jump to new posts Re: Apple Mail, search problem by Ira L @ Yesterday at 08:59 AM

Posts in numerous forums complain about searching in Apple Mail. Most often it is attributed to Spotlight not yet finished with its indexing. If this is truly driving you crazy, look into Foxtrot Personal Search. It has been favorably reviewed f
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts Re: Partitioning Query by joemikeb @ Yesterday at 05:35 AM

I agree with Artie's assessment of the OWC Elite Pro mini, and I would recommend going with a 5400 rpm drive with a 2TB capacity. It would be plenty fast enough for your purpose and although 2TB may be overkill now you might find it invaluable in the
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts Re: Partitioning Query by artie505 @ 06/24/19 10:23 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikebEach partition of a partitioned HFS+ formatted drive is seen by the system as a volume. Just to avoid confusion down the road, the same holds true for each volume of an APFS formatted drive. Each must be cloned via a se
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts Re: Partitioning Query by artie505 @ 06/24/19 10:17 PM

Originally Posted By: ryck...this is what I'm looking at: 1. This drive for the full CCC backups of my internal drive. I'm working on my second incarnation of that very same enclosure. The first one wasn't terribly well designed, and the USB 3 po
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts Troubleshooting Advice by joemikeb @ 06/24/19 03:28 PM

After the last beta update to macOS 10.14.6 I found myself confronted with a misbehaving trackpad. A two finger tap was supposed to be a "secondary click" (a.k.a. Control+click) but instead the windows on my screen were acting strangely and
Networking
Jump to new posts Apple Mail, search problem by kevs @ 06/24/19 02:28 PM

Anyone notice this: You search for an important clients email, and Apple mail, brings up one conversation from one folder, but not an original email that is even more important from another. It's like it vanished from earth. Very frustrating, I don't
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts Re: Partitioning Query by joemikeb @ 06/24/19 01:56 PM

Originally Posted By: ryck1. Recognize that there are partitions and make a copy of the entire drive including the two partitions and their contents? (Only one backup process) OR 2. Require me first to partition the backup drive and then go through
Lounge
Jump to new posts Re: Affinity Publisher by joemikeb @ 06/24/19 01:35 PM

This afternoon I came across a new Desktop Publishing app that is in the same price range as Affinity Publisher, but targeting less professional users called iCalamus 2. It is available from the App Store but you can get a demo version direct from
Mac OS X System
Jump to new posts Re: Partitioning Query by ryck @ 06/24/19 12:46 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505Originally Posted By: ryckSince I already have one drive, which is not large enough to backup the entire Terrabyte, I could get another drive and have 2 Time Machine drives. Depending upon how much of that terabyte you a
Lounge
Jump to new posts Re: Affinity Publisher by joemikeb @ 06/23/19 04:17 PM

Originally Posted By: deniroIs there anything else you have used for text layout, whether small time or big time program? I thought about taking a look at Scribus or some version of Latex. Both free, though I have no problem paying for good software.
Lounge
Jump to new posts Re: Affinity Publisher by deniro @ 06/23/19 10:29 AM

Is there anything else you have used for text layout, whether small time or big time program? I thought about taking a look at Scribus or some version of Latex. Both free, though I have no problem paying for good software.
Networking
Jump to new posts Re: Firefox 67.0 by artie505 @ 06/22/19 06:34 PM

Good to know. Thanks.
Networking
Jump to new posts Re: Firefox 67.0 by grelber @ 06/22/19 06:12 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505I don't pray, but fingers are crossed. More: Where did you find about:profiles in the ESR version? I don't see it. Just enter about:profiles in the URL window of the browser and hit return. It works for any version.
Lounge
Jump to new posts Re: Affinity Publisher by deniro @ 06/22/19 04:00 PM

I like Numbers, but the search and replace is unforgivably slow. I like Pages, esp. now that they finally got page numbering correct. That took how long? Fifteen years? Too bad Affinity offers no demo to download.
Networking
Jump to new posts Re: Firefox 67.0 by artie505 @ 06/22/19 03:25 PM

I don't pray, but fingers are crossed. More: Where did you find about:profiles in the ESR version? I don't see it.
Lounge
Jump to new posts Re: Affinity Publisher by joemikeb @ 06/22/19 02:58 PM

I couldn't have said it better myself. If you do get Affinity Publisher, I encourage you to carefully go through the video tutorials.. Once to learn what you are looking for and te get a feel for the possibilities. A second time more slowly and
Networking
Jump to new posts Re: Firefox 67.0 by grelber @ 06/22/19 11:11 AM

Merci for the suggestion, but doing a refresh could wipe out a lot. However — and I am well and truly hornswoggled — I went to about:profiles in the ESR version to get the lie of the land and then went to Firefox 67.0.4 and set the default profi
Networking
Jump to new posts Re: Firefox 67.0 by artie505 @ 06/22/19 08:52 AM

I don't know if it will be helpful in your situation, but I found Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings | Firefox Help. Although it may not help, it sounds like it can't hurt other than by costing you your Add-ons and possibly some settings.
Lounge
Jump to new posts Re: Affinity Publisher by deniro @ 06/22/19 07:06 AM

At $40 it looks like a steal. I'm strictly a dabbler. I haven't done anything like it for many years since I discovered how nice Freehand made my documents look. I had a version that I borrowed from my sister. Printed text looked professional, and I
Networking
Jump to new posts Re: Firefox 67.0 by grelber @ 06/22/19 03:39 AM

If anyone has the expertise to advise how I might transfer plists and other necessary bits within the library in order to effect the desired carryover of profile information, I'd be grateful to receive the information (assuming that I don't have to d
Networking
Jump to new posts Re: Firefox 67.0 by grelber @ 06/22/19 03:31 AM

Further to my previous post ... In lieu of a screen shot — Imgur takes forever to load without broadband/high-speed internet access — here's the text of that preliminary panel: Important News This installation of Firefox has a new profile. It
Networking
Jump to new posts Re: Firefox 67.0 by artie505 @ 06/22/19 03:03 AM

I admit that I didn't dig tremendously deeply, but I believe that "versions" means NOT 66/67/68, but the different versions of Firefox that reside on different devices, i.e. the desktop version and the mobile version.... If you haven't don
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >