An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Networking Jump to new posts
What Google and Stanford Learned about Phishing joemikeb 02/27/21 11:53 PM
This MalwareBytes Blog sheds interesting light on phishing schemes as well as offering avoidance tactics.
0 15 Read More
Lounge Jump to new posts
Sometimes "Kill the beast" is the wrong response ryck 02/23/21 10:38 PM
Here’s a guy who puts a capital “C” on conservationist. Recognizing that the skinny lynx which attacked his chickens was acting as much out of desperation as anything else, this farmer had a very different approach. Good for him.
0 25 Read More
Mac Operating Systems Jump to new posts
Issue with SSDs and M1 Macs MartyByrde 02/23/21 07:36 PM
Just saw this:

https://www.macworld.com/article/3609096/m1-macbook-mac-mini-ssd-read-write-data-overuse.html

Not sure how widespread it is, but definitely a concern. And given that Apple does not allow one to replace an internal SSD on their own, even worse. Still another reason to wait for purchasing an M1-based Mac.
0 29 Read More
Lounge Jump to new posts
Mark Twain knew something about school boards jchuzi 02/21/21 02:37 PM
Mark Twain opined that God first created idiots. That was for practice. Then, he created school boards. Entire School Board Resigns After Members Are Caught Mocking Parents on Livestream Having been a teacher for 34 years, I can attest that Twain was on to something.
0 34 Read More
Peripherals Jump to new posts
Bluetooth transmitters ryck 02/17/21 10:56 PM
I have a 21" Mac that I've been keeping because the 27" doesn't have an audio input. I sometimes have recordings that need to be transferred via male-to-male TRS cable and therefore go through the laborious process of loading it into the 21" and bluetoothing it over to the big machine. The light has finally gone on - skip the middleman.

I'm thinking about getting a bluetooth transmitter to go straight from the recording device into the 27". Anyone have any experience with these transmitters? Recommendations?
0 27 Read More
Mac Operating Systems Jump to new posts
printer screwup in Big Sur 11.2 jchuzi 02/03/21 01:26 AM
I updated to 11.2 today and found, to my chagrin, that the update changed my Epson driver to Airprint, which I don't like or want. Fortunately, I recognized it immediately, having had to deal with this previously due to mistakenly installing said Airprint in Catalina. Consequently, I reset the printing system and reinstalled the Epson driver that I like. Of course, I had to redo my presets.

I don't like it that Apple decided that to switch to Airprint, even though Epson recommends it for future compatibility, whatever that means.
0 75 Read More