of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Peripherals Jump to new posts
Re: VueScan Issue-demands upgrade already purchased artie505 03/18/24 10:00 PM
This quote from their FAQs provides clarification:

"Is VueScan a subscription?

You can either purchase VueScan as a one-off purchase, or as a subscription. The subscription is useful if you want to use VueScan for a short period of time, for something like a scanning project. The one-time payment is useful for long term use.

The subscription can be cancelled (or restarted) at any time – for as many times as you like. And at any point you can purchase a one-time only license."

So, rather than having actually switched to a subscription model, they've misused the word "subscription" to make the product attractive to users who don't want to purchase.
5 8 Read More
Mac Operating Systems Jump to new posts
Re: Full Disc Access artie505 03/17/24 02:25 AM
Originally Posted by kevs
Rick Art, nice article, still confusing. My guess just ignore all this clutter? Don't worry what means
Since we know that Apple put it there and it's not insidious, I'd go with that, kevs.
5 56 Read More
Networking Jump to new posts
Re: Text disappearing while typing artie505 03/16/24 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by artie505
Well, so far I haven't experienced my original problem, which occurred at the end of a line of type...almost exclusively in Messages, but once in a Safari post, but I've run into e new one - twice now - while posting in Safari where the beginning of a line disappears.
This is a recurring problem, even with the latest macOS update installed.

I'm beginning to wonder if I've got a problem with my keyboard. I think I'll call Apple and ask if there's any kind of diagnostic they can run if I bring my MBP in.
7 469 Read More
Re: Loss of Gmail access artie505 03/15/24 08:29 AM
Tor is a wild guess, and I've got absolutely no idea if it can help you in your situation.

The easiest way to describe it is that it enables access in some situations in which other browsers are blocked, such as paywalls, and perhaps, and with a lot of luck, it will help you with Firefox.

You may run into a problem, though, with your Mac not being up to its current required specs.
21 620 Read More
Re: What am I missing or doing wrong? joemikeb 03/13/24 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by Bensheim
I had to switch on multiple notifications, and then of course the tablet constantly alerted me to things which were of zero interest, so more time was wasted in switching them off again.

Lesson learned: do NOT take photos with your pad unless you want to show the actual pad to someone else. They are stuck there for Ever.

Use your digital camera instead - at least that talks to the Mac and are easily transferred.
If I take a photo on my iPad, it shows up in Photos on my iPhone and Mac after a few minutes wait or if I am in a hurry I can AirDrop it manually, which of course doesn't help you at the moment. I have never knowingly seen, much less used, a Galaxy tablet, but it occurs to me you might be able to send the photos as an email attachment and transfer the image that way.
10 109 Read More
Re: problems after OS upgrade artie505 03/13/24 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by dkmarsh
...I think your linked document nails down the non-Apple drive issue, even with respect to OWC.

Apropos of that...
Between MFIF and FTM, I've been around for 20 years or so, and you have ALWAYS been both the best researcher and reader on both platforms.
21 214 Read More
iTunes, iPhone, iPod, iPad, Apple TV Jump to new posts
Re: Taking into Repair and privacy joemikeb 03/12/24 12:59 AM
I'd love to know what Apple was thinking when they eliminated the option to not have Keychain Access open automatically at login.
As far as I can recall, that has not happened since Mac OS X public beta. Keychain still opens automatically when you login but Keychain Access only opens when you launch the app. I wish Apple would put Keychain Access on iOS and iPadOS -- another reason for 1Password, Strongbox, et. al. smile
50 778 Read More
Re: Telus, anyone? artie505 03/11/24 11:28 PM
Originally Posted by joemikeb
Originally Posted by ryck
I see a folder for Important, but I don't recognize the Archive icon I see.
Filing cabinet? That's the same symbol I have for Archive.
I see it as a file storage box and yes the same icon is used for archives.
That's it! It's a classic Transfile box.
15 205 Read More
Re: system settings artie505 03/11/24 11:27 AM
Snappy comeback, but miles off the mark.
11 92 Read More
Lounge Jump to new posts
Re: An Unhappy Surprise joemikeb 03/10/24 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by Gregg
We have, and yes, the boundary for their zones cuts through our neighborhood, and we are at a corner. But, the effect is still weird.
When we first moved into this house the nearest house in our zone was 1/4 mile away and everyone around us was in another zone. Talk about weird, when yours is the only house in the neighborhood with power. It took a transformer blowing up to get us into the same zone as our neighbors.
6 64 Read More
Re: photoshop 10 artie505 03/09/24 07:47 PM
I prefer "hard" media and have paid extra to get discs rather than downloads on more than one occasion, but when I'm forced to get a download, the very first thing I do is archive it against the possibility of future need. I store one copy on my MBP and another on my external.
3 25 Read More
Re: kill spam joemikeb 03/05/24 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by Douglas
Turns out they were all from my ISP, Comcast, and all from 4 cities in the USA. Began sending all the full headers to my ISP abuse site and the SPAM has slowed to a trickle from over 100 per day.
Despite your success, in reality almost anything in the email header can be [i]spoofed[i]. The only thing that can be said with any degree of confidence is the odds favor its origin being somewhere on the planet earth. frown
4 89 Read More
Re: apple mail joemikeb 03/02/24 07:39 PM
Thanks for the report. I got mentally "wrapped around the axle" trying to think this issue through and wondered if something like that could happen. The situation presents a Möbius strip of possibilities.
4 121 Read More
Lounge Jump to new posts
Re: Ad astra: another passing. ryck 03/02/24 01:58 AM
Today, an extraordinarily brave Russian hero, Alexei Navalny was laid to rest. I doubt if there's anyone who doesn't believe he was murdered by Putin who, I'm sure, thinks he has solved a problem. Perhaps Putin should consider the words of Kierkegaard: “The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins.”
904 3,562,442 Read More
Re: Just checking my reasoning..... joemikeb 02/29/24 06:55 PM
There are different ways this can be done, but in my experience the entry point (ONT box) will be hardwired into the home electricity, connected to an outlet near the point of entry, or have a battery that has to be replaced at frequent intervals. ........

OK, I've looked this one up. As far as I can tell from multiple sources, the BT-supplied ONT box has a power lead and plug. I have not found anyone on multiple forums (e.g., BT, Openreach, various broadband sites) saying that the ONT has to be hardwired into the home electricity.
Perhaps I could have worded this better. thow about...
There are different ways this can be done, but in my experience the entry point (ONT box) can be
  1. hardwired into the home electricity or,
  2. connected to an outlet near the point of entry or,
  3. have a battery that has to be replaced at frequent intervals.

Indeed, some installers refuse to go further if it will not have its own power socket - i.e., will not be plugged into an extension lead. It all depends on who you get on the day (which seems crazy to me). If that's the case they're immediately going to have a problem here. There are NO power sockets anywhere near any potential installation. Nearly every thing in this house connects to their sockets via adapters (more than one thing plugged into same socket) or extension cables (more than one thing connected to one socket via an extension cable).

So far, in my whole life, I've only found two things which will NOT work off an extension cable: my husband's respirator machine, and the electric recliner (mechanism).
The only reasons I can think of that would prevent an extension cord from being used asre...
  1. in the case of devices that require a "neutral" wire in addition to power (a.k.a. power) and ground. In other words a three prong socket vs a two prong.
  2. the device is expected to pull an exceptionally heavy load and an additional device might overload the circuit.

Correcting either case is a job for your electrician, and as long as they are involved you could have them run another outlet (preferably dedicated) near the ONT point of entry.

If you have to use an extension cord, consider my suggestion of putting the ONT on an uninterruptible power supply so you telephone will continue to work in the event of a power failure.
15 241 Read More
Mac Operating Systems Jump to new posts
Re: Mysterious restarts joemikeb 02/26/24 09:44 PM
To that, I'll add that each panic report was reported in Console as "Kernel" and accompanied by two "WindowServer" "Spin Reports" that are perhaps even more incomprehensible than the panic reports. (See, and I've saved copies of the "Spin Reports" if you're interested in seeing them.) That makes me wonder if having IMGUR open in a Safari tab could be involved, because the Imgur page invariably has any number of animated thumbnails running at any given time. (I've begun quitting Safari before I go to sleep to see if it has any effect.)

Each report type is designed for the specific needs of a specific audience. None of them are designed for the user. In their raw form, many (most?), are unintelligible to any audience and what you see in the log files has been formatted and carefully tailored to their unique audience not to inform the user.

I'll discount DriveDx as a possible guilty party. It's always been erratic in its reporting on my thumb drive, but no more so recently than usual. (It's kevs who's reported issues with DriveDx, not me, and it appears to have been mentioned not as contributing factor, but simply as one of a number of kexts that were running at the time of the panics.)

There are clues in the report that indicated a hung or non-responsive task. The kext com.binaryfruit.driver.SATSMARTDriver 0.10.3 is near the bottom of the linked chin of tasks, therefore closer to the root cause. SATSMARTDriver is an Open-Source project used in several other applications, including TechTool Pro, to overcome limitations in the USB standard.

1. IIRC you use the thumb drive as a backup drive? If a backup were in process when DriveDX pinged the thumb drive, thumb drives typically lack the buffering that might allow a timely response to the ping causing the exception to be raised.
  2. The thumb drive may not wake fast enough to respond if it is "sleeping" when pinged.
  3. The issue may be related to the Radeon drive not responding or not responding fast enough.

In any case, the issue in DriveDX task lineage so by temporarily disabling DriveX, you can confirm the problem is either DriveDX or still farther downstream. After that, it is a slow, tedious process of disconnecting/disabling one device/task at a time until the cause is identified. At least it will allow you to practice your patience.
5 223 Read More
Re: Internet connection speed artie505 02/23/24 08:05 PM
My only guess is that your devices are Wi-Fi equipped, whereas my Sony STRDH190 isn't. It is, however, Bluetooth capable, but even being situated 3-4 feet from my MBP, the signal is so weak that my volume needs to be turned up to 40 to hear what I hear at 13 via my Base Station. In fact, the first time I tried using Bluetooth, I thought it was non-functional until it occurred to me to try cranking it up.

There I go, assuming again. It never occurred to me, you were using a Bluetooth connection. blush
No, you didn't make a bad assumption. This thread is entirely about Wi-Fi.

I mentioned Bluetooth only because you questioned my needing a Base Station for AirPlay, and your having done so got me to finding out that Bluetooth, which I thought I could never get to work, was actually working all along, but with such a weak signal that until I really cranked it up, I never realized it was working.

But a final question has occurred to me: Since neither my Verizon router nor my AirPort Express Base Station connects to my MBP via ethernet, i.e., both connect via Wi-Fi and are (presumably) subject to the same outside interference, why would the one signal be affected by an extraneous factor while the other isn't?

The most likely reason is the two devices are using different channels and the interference is on the channel used by the Airport Express. Thus, my suggestion to change the channel setting. But Wi-Fi, or any UHF or microwave frequency, can be spooky. Moving a piece of furniture in another room, six inches, can mess up a signal. (I got a 40% improvement in internet data rate by raising the 5G receiver two inches higher on the shelf it sits on. More or less than that, and the signal deteriorates.)
I finally got my act together and tested every channel available with my 2008 Base station with these results: Every channel yielded pretty much the results shown, with the high numbers being from Verizon to my Base Station and the low ones being from my Base Station to my MBP.

What looks curious is that from Verizon to Base Station, upload speed is consistently higher than download speed, while from Base Station to MBP, the reverse is true. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh, well, I guess it's all academic now that I've bypassed the Base Station in favor of my router for Wi-Fi.
8 304 Read More
Lounge Jump to new posts
Re: This Ad Changed the Super Bowl Forever Gregg 02/18/24 12:35 PM
Lots of suckers have been born and grown up in forty years, the Age of Advertising. smirk
6 234 Read More