An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Mac Operating Systems Jump to new posts
Re: New Window Opening in Background joemikeb 07/27/21 08:50 PM
blush Found the cure. A reboot was all it took but I am embarrassed after all of my recent pontification about forgetting old fixes. Hopefully I will learn to practice what i preach.
2 9 Read More
iTunes, iPhone, iPod, iPad, Apple TV Jump to new posts
Re: Iphone Message Nuisance with Bubbles etc kevs 07/27/21 04:39 PM
Today guys, please! Final messages nuisance forget to ask.

Delete message and ask not all time... REPORT AS JUNK OR NOT.

Total micro nuisance, anyway to get rid of this? What weird sometimes is ask that and 1/2 time not ask that.
10 135 Read More
Lounge Jump to new posts
Re: Ad astra: another passing. ryck 07/25/21 06:16 PM
First a Rabbi, then a comedian, Jackie Mason
853 2,736,143 Read More
Audio, Video, Photography Jump to new posts
Re: filtered jpgs jaybass 07/24/21 03:28 PM
Ira,

I always edit the RAW image but as you probably know, dreamtime want the submission as a jpg. I always enlarge the image a minimum of 3 x to see if it's a keeper.

I have been using Noise ninja after converting to a jpg but I can reduce noise in affinity photo and then export as a jpg. Better.

Thanks Ira,

jaybass
3 35 Read More
Lounge Jump to new posts
Re: Kudos to B & H Photo ryck 07/22/21 11:51 PM
Originally Posted by joemikeb
Two nations separated by thousands of miles of border and a common language.
Two nations, yes, but two very different nations, including the way we use English, although Americanization is creeping in. I now hear kids saying zee instead of zed.
6 73 Read More
Lounge Jump to new posts
Re: Apple to destroy device fingerprinting? joemikeb 07/22/21 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by ryck
I've always been somewhat leery of iCloud (uncertain about storing private information anywhere other than drives I control) but I find this quite interesting....did a quick look around and see that Private Relay will be part of a paid subscription called iCloud+, which will have other security benefits. It seems to be headed for iOS 15....it'd be good if it was also ported over to OS (and very nice if it started in OS 14).

PRIVATE RELAY is already online in macOS 12 b3 (Monterey), as well as iOS 15 b3, and iPadOS 15 b3. As it is a MAJOR FEATURE of these next generation Apple operating systems, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to be retrofitted into the current macOS 11, iOS 14, or iPadOS 14.

Private Relay works quite well, has no appreciable impact on download or upload speed, and in general is totally unobtrusive. The only problem I have encountered was when I chose the option to use "Country and Time Zone" location, I ran into problems with Amazon and one other e-commerce site that wanted to charge the tax rate where my IP address had me located and would not accept my destination address (which is weird as there is no problem if I am traveling and log onto a site in that time zone). Switching to "Maintain general Location" solved the problem neatly. In both settings my IP address and Whois data belonged to Apple's service partner and had no link back to my actual IP address, physical address, or actual ID. 😎 For example my current IP address places me in Bedford, Texas (several miles away) and WhoIS identifies me as a company in Amsterdam.

Private Relay enables another iCloud+ feature Hide My Email that permits you to log onto internet accounts with an email address that is only valid for that single site and can be turned off at any time. Emails from that site are routed to a Private Relay address and from there rerouted to your Apple email address, so your email and you remain hidden behind the Private Relay wall. The downside is the site has to be setup to support Apple login (similar to sites that allow login with your Google or Facebook account). In practice when you log onto the site you enter your logon password — which never goes beyond your device — and Private Relay handles everything else.
2 73 Read More
Re: Can't dictate text with shared photo plantsower 07/21/21 06:28 PM
As suggested, a power off and on of the iPhone might clear it up. [/quote]

Which is did! Thanks, Ira.
8 107 Read More
FineTunedMac Feedback Jump to new posts
Re: How do we report a posting? ryck 07/21/21 04:15 PM
Thanks. And, I have to agree with artie, it's been a long time since we've had any of those creeps around the place.
3 89 Read More
Networking Jump to new posts
Tempest In Monterey joemikeb 07/19/21 10:03 PM
When I got my first look at the changes in Safari Technology Preview, my immediate response was, "this is different" followed shortly by "I like it." Little did I suspect that the changes would create apparently great controversy when they appeared in Safari 15 in Monterey. The controversial change is the absence of a search bar, and instead, each of the tabs becomes a miniature search bar and the background takes on the base color of the currently active tab as seen in this screenshot. Personally I love the feeling of the site and browser becoming one, not to mention the extra space in the window for content.

Apparently many users decried the loss of the separate search bar that in the third Monterey beta a view option were added to show a separate tab bar, show a Favorites bar, and even a status bar although I haven't seen it yet. So no matter your preference, you can tailor the Safari 15 window to your liking.

Personally I will stick with the minimalist version, but I would like to know what you all think about the options.
0 36 Read More
Lounge Jump to new posts
Re: iPhone security, not foolproof joemikeb 07/19/21 04:46 PM
Yes, but NSO has assured us their spyware won't work on U.S. or Canadian phones, (which could be true as Apple has been forced into some compromises to be permitted access to some markets) but if you are willing to trust what NSO says, I have some real estate investment opportunities you might be interested in. There is a bridge in Brooklyn, some high rise condominiums just North of Miami, Florida, a girl's school in Afghanistan, beach property in Iceland, the list goes on and on.
1 49 Read More
Re: Contact: click Mail icon nothing happens joemikeb 07/19/21 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by artie505
As far as I can tell multiocolor means just that. Instead of a single bas cooler scheme, different items have unique colors. This has been an option on Apple Watch faces for a yyear or two now.
Thanks. I was thinking literally, i.e. multi, rather than single, color per item.
It would appear that multi-color has yet to be fully implemented in the current beta. At the present time I can tell no difference between multi-color and blue accent color schemes except in System Preferences > General. 😵‍💫
9 129 Read More
Mac Applications Jump to new posts
Re: PlantNet jchuzi 07/18/21 11:48 AM
Thanks for that, jaybass. I just used PlantNet to identify a plant that grows in great abundance on my property. cool
2 48 Read More
Re: Menu bar on Safari Technology Preview joemikeb 07/16/21 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by Ira L
If you really want it all now, try Bartender. Among other things, it gives you a menu bar icon that, when clicked on, gives you other menu bar icons of your choice. Although I have not used it, it seems a great way to show more menu icons when there is no space for them.
I just registered Bartender after completing the trial. Not a showstopper, but very useful in organizing the menu bar and reducing visual clutter on the screen. Thanks for introducing me to it. 👍
52 804 Read More
Re: Side items vanished kevs 07/15/21 05:03 PM
Acutally ok now JOe thanks, I think issue was the Facorites (which is what I use most) triangle got collapsed, and since that is to tiny and small, maybe did not see that.
4 96 Read More
Mac Desktops & Notebooks Jump to new posts
Re: MacBook Pro Flickering screen Bob_00001 07/14/21 07:53 AM
Update:
The flicker has disappeared. I packed up the MBP last week and went on a vacation. After several days, I happened to notice that it wasn't flickering anymore. I guess that the bouncing around in the car during the road trip must have re-seated the video connector, or something like that, and the video was perfect. So, when I came back home I was hoping that the return trip wouldn't undo the fix. Fortunately, it's still working fine, and I can put off the purchase of a new Mac for a little while longer.

BTW, regarding a replacement for iWeb, I frequent the XOJO software forum, and one of the members there told me that they have a web publishing product that's compatible with iWeb.
https://www.everwebapp.com/
I haven't tried it yet, and can't comment on how well it works, or how compatible it is with sites previously created with iWeb. But it's something that people may want to check out, if they're looking for an iWeb replacement.
10 374 Read More
Lounge Jump to new posts
Re: Is Anonymized Data Safe? joemikeb 07/13/21 10:25 PM
This thread and a confluence of other incidents set me off on a Privacy "Crusade" this morning. The Privacy Information for Google MAPS in the App Store was a shock! 😳 Chrome's report was expected, after all Google makes Chrome and makes major money selling user data. But Google Maps is almost as bad as Facebook and on a par with Amazon! When I checked Apple Maps I was surprised at some of the data collected but pleased to see it is Data Not Linked to You.

That set me on a path to get rid of as much Google influence on my systems as possible. I quit using Google Maps years ago and I have used DuckDuckGo as my search engine for at least a couple of years. So I began with a Find Any File search for files with google in the name and get 439 hits. It turns out that even apple calendar event files are named *googlecom.ics and lots of third party apps use google utilities for much of their functionality. Even my most precise internet search tool DEVONAgent Express utilizes Google search databases. 🤯🤬

The only remaining options are to avoid direct use of Google software including the Google search engine as much as possible and disguising my identity to the extent possible. In this morning's email I found a reference to the Brave Browser and the fact they have their own search engine in beta. There are other secure search engines such as DuckDuckGo and Ecosia (both of which are based on Bing) while Brave is uses its own independent search database. Taken together with Private Relay in Monterey (not to mention TOR routing and signature spoofing) both of which are built into Brave) it would appear to be as secure as possible with compatibility with all but the most esoteric sites.

Will Brave replace Safari in my affections? Probably not or at least not until Brave learns to share with some of my other apps. Will BraveSearch replace DuckDuckGo? It is early days and BraveSearch is still in beta, but it has great possibilities, if it can survive the competition.
3 99 Read More
Re: When Google Maps or Apple no sound kevs 07/13/21 05:55 PM
Joe I just got off the phone with Audible, and guy says this is a known issue, (going off) and you need to delete the app and reinstall it.

I heard of that solution for other iphone apps but not yet intuitive to do that.. I usually wait the the app developer to suggest it.

For Google Maps they have no customer service, maybe I should do that too? No harm..

As for privacy, I'm not as jack up as you are, though I great appreciate all your tips on privacy.. (especially with real bank accounts, hacking issue with my own websites etc.. etc) . But in regards to browser and Google prodcuts,I still use Chrome and the rest, (maybe Tor once in blue moon), and I know that have a dossier on me, etc, and I let it go... and hope for the best.

For Amazon, been shopping there for 20 years or so. Super good service and convenience, great return policies. Prices are not as cheap as used to be and the guy who owns it has a bit too much money; but still a decent company.. PIty they own audible. I just tried Audible for 2 months and great, but going to give it a rest. I only need it if I want to hear a great book I've already read, and the local library does not have the CD version to loan out. I find free podcast have about as much good content..
8 134 Read More
Re: The Monterey Report MacManiac 07/12/21 04:17 PM
As webmaster for a different website than FTM, I had some experience with the Cloudflare service...and it was mixed. Their service provides a distributed mirror that allows more immediate intervention if there is a security issue detected, and also provides a more timely response time for the website through localization at many different server farms. This is a simplification of some of the many services that are provided, but it can provide a framework for how they are providing Apple with their Private Relay feature.....

In my case, I had to discontinue my implementation of the Cloudflare feature set as there were too many instances where the DNS system became confused and dropped our site so some folks were unable to access it at different times. I believe this to be something that they will address and correct going forward, and with Apple (the 900 # gorilla) watching over their shoulder, I would bet $$$ on the Private Relay feature working just fine.
10 234 Read More
Lounge Jump to new posts
Re: Tech giants - when is big, too big? ryck 07/12/21 12:51 AM
...and tomorrow is here thanks dreamers like many of those "Tech (and financial) Giants".....
Or is it just a couple of billionaires who have so much money they can 'get ink' by doing something that looks good but, in the greater scheme of things, isn't all that much. What Richard Branson did today, Alan Shepard accomplished 60 years ago.

In this appearance on Fareed Zacharia, Neil deGrasse Tyson puts Branson’s “space travel” into perspective. Worth watching.
3 98 Read More
Mac Applications Jump to new posts
Re: How to stop autocomplete in Mail joemikeb 07/11/21 08:44 PM
I can't say Mail is definitively the best, but it has advantages in its ability to link and synch with other applications. The problem on iOS is features like smart folders, that are very handy take advantage of tools like Spotlight in macOS but it is not supported in either iPadOS or iOS and the iPhone is further limited by the size of the display. I am not convinced that even a folding screen will be a satisfactory solution to that.
11 155 Read More
Re: IOS15 Initial Impressions joemikeb 07/10/21 11:09 PM
An interesting sidebar. It has been almost a week since I installed iOS 15 and iPadOS 15, but it wasn't until last night that a notification banner appeared on my iPad apparently without my having attempted to launch any application:
Originally Posted by Notification
This application is not compatible with this version of iPadOS and must be updated by the devloper
Click here to delete {the name of the app was here}
the only way to clear the notification was to "click here". I had forgotten I had the app and I won't miss it, but the interesting part is as far as I am aware I did not attempt to launch either app yet I still got the notification. ❓🤷‍♂️❓
1 91 Read More
Lounge Jump to new posts
Re: Bad experience at Other World Computing ryck 07/10/21 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by artie505
I wonder if they maybe added insurance because of the value of your order? Even if that's the case, it should be disclosed somewhere.
That also crossed my mind but, like you, I thought it should at least be identified in the list shipping of expenses.
5 127 Read More
Audio, Video, Photography Jump to new posts
Re: Convert YouTube to Quicktime joemikeb 07/07/21 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by kevs
Thanks, these clips will be rare, just ones I spend over hour leaning. but that converter Jon mentioned makes mp4 to desktop. I think thats fine.

I think that'll be supported long long time no?
There is still a lot of MP4 around but it is on its way out and is being replaced by newer technologies that produce higher resolution in a fraction of the file size. In ten years MP4 could well be the equivalent of cassette tape or even 8 track tape today. But then, my crystal ball is notoriously cloudy.
14 185 Read More
Mac Desktops & Notebooks Jump to new posts
Re: Mac Pro monitor dongle? freelance 07/07/21 11:18 AM
Screens 4 looks fairly priced, but far beyond my needs. I own two Mac laptops and two Mac desktops, but no other Apple products.
11 143 Read More
Lounge Jump to new posts
Re: for Windows users Rick Deckard 07/07/21 08:28 AM
Some PC Pundits are predicting Windows 11 will sell a lot of Macs, because only the very latest PCs will be able to run Windows 11 and because so many of those PC users are already heavily invested in iPhones, iPads, Apple Watches, and other elements of Apple's eco-system, they are more likely to buy a Mac with Apple silicon instead of another PC. It will be interesting to see if that proves out.

Given that the battles between Apple and Microsoft seem to be heating up again (Microsoft is supporting Epic Games in their lawsuit against Apple), it'll be interesting to see if Microsoft produces a fully capable, non-hobbled version of Windows 10/11 for ARM processors that will run on Apple's M-series chips.

Hopefully Microsoft will realize how many copies of an M chip native version it can get installed on Macs, whether or not they charge money for it.
7 211 Read More
Page 1 of 2 1 2