An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Networking Jump to new posts
Re: TLS in mail plantsower 09/28/22 01:59 AM
I've always thought that the free AppleCare included with your purchase and the purchased, extended AppleCare+ covered hardware, but that tech support related to the OS is always free.

Have I been mistaken all these years? [/quote]

Yes, you have been mistaken. It's hardware and support, then no support after the 3 years. Though I've been told by people on this forum that some techs will help without the AppleCare+. I just haven't had the nerve to try it.
15 138 Read More
Lounge Jump to new posts
Re: Batteries and flashlights ryck 09/26/22 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by Carnenestr
I've had a lot of negative experiences with batteries in the past. Sometimes new batteries might not work at all or oxidize quickly.
I can certainly recall experiences with leaking alkaline batteries BUT I can't recall when that last happened. I'm sure that a lot depends on the manufacturer.

Originally Posted by Carnenestr
When the batteries and charging system appeared, I was one of the happiest people. In addition, batteries reduce environmental pollution and reduce the amount of garbage.
You're right about pollution and garbage but that is if the drained batteries are thrown away. There are now battery recycling depots where drained alkalines can be recycled and, I believe, there are many jurisdictions around the world where recycling is mandatory.
16 2,065 Read More
Lounge Jump to new posts
Re: The Trumpranos — wannabe crime family grelber 09/23/22 06:44 PM
I just realized that the first clause in the fifth paragraph (beginning with "Once his inane behavior ...") is incomplete. Replace same with:

Once his inane behavior and inability to do anything right and/or efficiently reduces him to even more of caricature of ineptitude (on the order of Wile E. Coyote), he's likely (along with many of his complicit family members) to wind up sharing sleeping space with Bluto in Sing Sing and complaining about "hemorrhoids".
4 60 Read More
Mac Operating Systems Jump to new posts
Re: It's Ventura Time joemikeb 09/23/22 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by joemikeb
I just installed macos 13.0 beta 8 and after zero problems with previous betas, of all things this one broke Books (all of the books report unrecognized format) and Mail requires a separate step to download remote content. The latter is an understandable security precaution, but it is annoying as H3!!

Fixed! Restart didn't solve the issue, but complete shutdown and cold boot did.
19 459 Read More
Lounge Jump to new posts
Re: Battery charging privacy invasion Gregg 09/22/22 01:34 PM
And, proving some sort of maxim somewhere, our power went out yesterday, only 4 or 5 hours after I made the above post!

I charged my iPad from the brick, just in case; even though without power, we were without a wifi connection.

This time we were out for only a few hours. Last winter, power was out for 30 hours.
8 150 Read More
Peripherals Jump to new posts
Re: WD Blue SN570 NVMe SSD SMART status joemikeb 09/17/22 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by Gregg
Missing a letter? (see underscore)
Confused me at first.

That's the result of one edit too many blush
3 89 Read More
iTunes, iPhone, iPod, iPad, Apple TV Jump to new posts
Re: email jaybass 09/14/22 02:58 PM
Thank you for that info joe.

jaybass
2 79 Read More
Re: Text to Speech feature plantsower 09/12/22 03:19 PM
In Sound, the devices shown are my Logitech speaker and my internal speakers. My speakers are working fine for everything else, but no sound when trying to use Text to Speech. I tried both speakers and no difference. There is something else screwing it up, and I don't know how to tell what it is. Thanks, Joe.

In System Preferences > Sound, check the Input and Output settings to be sure the correct devices are selected and check their volume settings.
6 91 Read More
Lounge Jump to new posts
Re: The Queen is dead. artie505 09/10/22 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by freelance
There's the old one about the American visitors to Windsor Castle who couldn't understand why the Queen built the castle under the flight path.
A real American would have asked why it's not surrounded by a no-fly zone.
12 205 Read More
iTunes, iPhone, iPod, iPad, Apple TV Jump to new posts
Re: iPad to iPad data transfer ryck 09/08/22 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by MacManiac
Ryck,

I just looked on Wikipedia under "Curmudgeon" and I saw your picture!!! blush
Hahaha.....and, of course, I had a curmudgeonly scowl.
12 212 Read More
Re: Disk not properly ejected kevs 09/07/22 05:51 PM
Thanks Joe good overview. Ok I'll detach all cables first and reattach firmly.

I think that covers 80% of your post.

This is brand new 8TB for image data. (I just moved my doc data to the internal SSD)

The other brand new 8tB was for TM, so I could (tediously) swap those down the road. However, my backup system 1x day SD, and crashplan in cloud , is pretty good so probably could live with it... (the danger is you could lose work did during some day's work).... I think unlikely.. let see how much continues... take notes!)
3 107 Read More
Mac Applications Jump to new posts
Re: Use Keychain Access as password software? artie505 09/05/22 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by jaybass
You mention attorneys eating up the estates value...thats another ball game.
And it's frequently a codicil that puts the ball into play.
17 263 Read More
Mac Applications Jump to new posts
Re: Find Any File plantsower 09/05/22 05:13 AM
OK. Thanks.

Originally Posted by artie505
Originally Posted by plantsower
I didn't know I could safely do that.

The solution looks like navigating to ~/Library/Mobile Documents and deleting the entire folder. It shouldn't cause you any problems, because you don't use iCloud.
As long as you're satisfied that you've got no relationship with iCloud/iCloud drive, trashing the folder will be a harmless procedure.
10 141 Read More
Lounge Jump to new posts
Re: another reason not to have a smartphone Gregg 09/04/22 11:51 AM
I agree. I don't want to carry one of those dumb smart phones around in my pocket anyway.
1 112 Read More
Re: Migrate from Mojave to ? artie505 09/04/22 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by freelance
Update: Attempting to boot from a Carbon Copy clone has failed. Using the "legacy" tool, Startup Disk sees a drive to select, but I get an endless cycle of kernel panics. So, I've resorted to using the "standard" clone and will hope that I never need it.
That got me wondering, so I tried to boot into each of my 3 CCC clones - 2 on my internal drive and 1 on my external - and found that my external clone - although like yours, it shows in Startup Disk - has become unbootable. It hangs and eventually just reverts to my startup disk. (I know it was bootable up to some point in Monterey, but I've got no recollection of the last version I booted into.)

Phooey! Reality has finally caught up to me. frown
15 291 Read More
Re: Starting over with iCloud ryck 09/03/22 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by Ira L
Test it. Download a small batch of full resolution photos from iCloud that are optimized on your iMac and see how it turns out.
Thanks Ira, but any testing on Photos will have to wait, because things keep changing. For example, all the photos are now on my iPhone (which I've never had before) and these photos include a bunch that I removed. The photos on iCloud can be the last thing dealt with, so perhaps I was wrong to identify the issue. My priority is to get my iCloud mess sorted out before commissioning new iPads.

Originally Posted by ryck
Over time my iCloud interface has become something of a jumble and I’d like to get it sorted out. What I want is to use iCloud only to have synchronization between iMac, iPhone and iPad for such things as Mail, Message, Contacts, et cetera.

We have two new iPads, still in the boxes, because I don’t want them to start life with a bunch of unnecessary stuff that needs to be cleaned up. I’d rather do the cleanup first.

How do I undo what’s been done and start from scratch?
3 93 Read More
Re: Removing data from iCloud ryck 09/03/22 08:24 AM
I will be starting a new thread about minimizing reliance on iCloud for storage as I find it’s more of a pain than it’s worth. But first I need some clarification, so, backing up a bit in the thread dialogue…..

Originally Posted by ryck
[quote=joemikeb]Given the size of your photo Library, I strongly urge you to re-think your decision and pay for the extra iCloud capacity.
I've done that (50GB) but now have two new issues as I thought, given all that capacity, I should link my iPhone and my iPad to iCloud.

First the iPad. I tried to turn on iCloud Photo Library and got a dialogue box that cautions:

“Photos synced from iTunes will be removed. Syncing photos via iTunes is not supported when iCloud Photo Library is turned on. 203 photos will be removed.”
When it says: ”Photos synced from iTunes will be removed”, what exactly does it mean? Removed from where? Does it mean it will remove them from the iPad only, or does it mean they will also be removed from the main Photos library, which resides on my iMac? i.e. I won’t have them anywhere.

As a "belt and suspenders" step, be sure and backup each of the devices once you have them all synchronized. FWIW I backup my iPhone and iPad to iCloud almost every night.
I don’t store anything critical on either device so, if I lost everything on both of them it would not be the end of the world. However, the idea of backing up the iPhone pointed out an issue that I don’t like - getting into a cycle of always buying more space - the iPhone backup failed and I was asked to buy even more iCloud space.

And now, one of the few things I would use iCloud for, has failed. All of the mail that was on the iPhone is now gone.
8 171 Read More
Mac Desktops & Notebooks Jump to new posts
Re: New Mac every thing slower kevs 09/02/22 11:14 PM
Thanks Joe, "Your test is likely invalid because the internal drive "

But Joe, the test Mac HD is not essentially clean install; it is a clean install! Since I have to much space, I'm able to create a Mac HD clean install, while not erasing anything. (ie while being able to go back later to the normal Mac HD which got the migration from the 27")

So remember, I don't have a USB 2.0 drive — even the 5 years old Seagate is USB.. The 10 port hus is also USB 3, Only USB 2 is mouse, card reader etc.

TM could be the cause: But I did not have all beachballing on 27" and had TM going...

BTW Joe, I do notice that older Seagate does seem to beachball a bit more than the other drives, just by clicking on it even though is get 99% oten in Drive X. Weather it's on its "own netword" ie plugged in back of the machine or the hub. Now if something on it, "own network" as you say, that should not effect anything else right.

Also noticed today a beachball a bit while in Excel, which I would not see on the 27" on Excel.
110 1,237 Read More
Re: Mail, reply and attachment they sent if destroyed artie505 09/02/22 09:30 AM
I have yet to figure out how the Mail > Settings > General > Remove unedited attachments downloads settings works confused (Emphasis added)
I guess some copywriter's left eye wasn't pointed in the same direction as hir right eye. tongue

I found this...
Delete email attachments
In the Mail app on your Mac, select a message that includes one or more attachments.
Choose Message > Remove Attachments.
The message remains in the mailbox and is annotated to indicate that all attachments were manually removed. For IMAP accounts, attachments are also deleted from the mail server and can’t be retrieved.
When you delete a message that includes an attachment, the attachment is deleted too. To change this setting, choose Mail > Preferences, click General, click the “Remove unedited downloads” pop-up menu, then choose an option. Mail doesn’t delete attachments that you have saved.
I've got no idea what "unedited" means in this context, though.

And in a different vein, I found this, which kevs may find helpful.
23 306 Read More