An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Mac Desktops & Notebooks Jump to new posts
Re: Erased my laptop to sell, now folder with ? artie505 03/01/21 07:29 PM
You erased the drive, so it's got no OS to boot into, hence the question mark.

When I sell a Mac I install a fresh OS so the purchaser gets a functional machine, and I suggest that you do the same.

You can d/l an assortment of OSs via Recovery. I think How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support covers all bases.
1 2 Read More
Erased my laptop to sell, now folder with ? kevs 03/01/21 07:08 PM
I did erase of my hardrive on my old macbook air to sell it, (using Recovery drive)' but when I do a reboot, all see is a light grey folder with blinking question mark. Should I sell it like this or..?

I thought it would reboot with dock there and all.
1 2 Read More
Re: No energy saver on M1 chip laptop kevs 03/01/21 06:53 PM
My only comment is not working so far. In past with lid closed, but connected to a display, the display would be on in morning . Now display is not on.
11 71 Read More
Lounge Jump to new posts
Re: Coronavirus information: assorted web links MartyByrde 03/01/21 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by joemikeb
Originally Posted by MartyByrde
Not sure if it will speed things up, but after clicking on that "basic" site for MyChart I mentioned above, and entering "Texas", got a list of numerous Health care providers/networks.
I looked and found that you still must have an appointment to get the vaccine, and only the County health department can issue those appointments.

That's a bummer! I did notice that some of those links for Texas were also part of the same network I used, CHI Franciscan. Again, it was smooth for me. And given that we are getting the Moderna vaccine (second shot on Thursday), and they are working on a booster shot for the newer variants, we'll (most likely) get notified through MyChart about its availability.
167 18,921 Read More
Re: No energy saver on M1 chip laptop artie505 03/01/21 06:23 PM
If you look in /System/Library/PreferencePanes you will find both Battery.prefpane and EnergySaver.prefpane. The EnergySaver.prefpane is version 9 copyright 2001-2015 and is 5,000,490 Bytes in size while Battery.prefpane is version 1 copyright 2020 and is 2,440,237 Bytes. I haven't opened either to examine the code to fully analyze the specific functionality of each, but it would appear they are significantly different.

I'm unable to open EnergySaver.prefpane on my MBP, so we'll have to meet in the middle: Here's Battery.prefpane.

To the best of my recollection, it's the original EnergySaver.prefpane with a newly added Usage History section.
11 71 Read More
Lounge Jump to new posts
Re: Coronavirus information: assorted web links joemikeb 03/01/21 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by MartyByrde
Not sure if it will speed things up, but after clicking on that "basic" site for MyChart I mentioned above, and entering "Texas", got a list of numerous Health care providers/networks.
I looked and found that you still must have an appointment to get the vaccine, and only the County health department can issue those appointments.
167 18,921 Read More
Re: No energy saver on M1 chip laptop joemikeb 03/01/21 04:02 PM
If you look in /System/Library/PreferencePanes you will find both Battery.prefpane and EnergySaver.prefpane. The EnergySaver.prefpane is version 9 copyright 2001-2015 and is 5,000,490 Bytes in size while Battery.prefpane is version 1 copyright 2020 and is 2,440,237 Bytes. I haven't opened either to examine the code to fully analyze the specific functionality of each, but it would appear they are significantly different.
11 71 Read More
Mac Operating Systems Jump to new posts
Re: Do I have Malware? ROBG_1mperi0n 03/01/21 01:57 AM
ok thnx
32 3,032 Read More
Re: Do I have Malware? artie505 03/01/21 01:55 AM
Reposting your screenshot worked.

I've got 4 instances of that file in my Big Sur installation, all of them being system files that shouldn't be messed with.

Your file is not a problem.
32 3,032 Read More
Re: Do I have Malware? ROBG_1mperi0n 03/01/21 01:40 AM
generaly me tho dont see pics what to sent
32 3,032 Read More
Re: Do I have Malware? artie505 03/01/21 12:40 AM
Hi, and welcome to FineTunedMac. smile

I can't see your screenshot, so maybe try posting it again at imgur.com.

To post a screenshot or other type of image...
  1. Go to https://imgur.com/upload.
  2. Either drag your image into the window or browse for it.
  3. Click on "Copy" in the next window to copy your image's URL to your clipboard.
  4. Create a link using FTM's "Create a link..." tag...5th icon from the right.

You may have to create an account, but at the least, you'll have to disable any content blockers.
32 3,032 Read More
Re: Do I have Malware? ROBG_1mperi0n 03/01/21 12:01 AM
greeting

sory pics of this file https://i.imgur.com/S3QQl7c.png

I'm interested in whether this file is a virus or malware because I also came across it so I can ask if you know

nothing download from weird sites only from verified if anyone can tell me I would be grateful

or it's just part of the safari file

thank you
32 3,032 Read More
Lounge Jump to new posts
Re: Coronavirus information: assorted web links MartyByrde 02/28/21 06:28 PM
Here in Texas you can't get an appointment anywhere without going through the county health system. If you go through Vaccinefinder it will tell you what sites have which vaccine, but you cannot make an appointment and you can only get the vaccine with an appointment and you can only get an appointment going through the county health system. 😡

167 18,921 Read More
Re: No energy saver on M1 chip laptop artie505 02/28/21 06:05 PM
Battery settings make no sense on Mac mini as there is no battery?

Seriously there are all sorts of kernel extensions, and even preference panes that only load when they are appropriate to the particular computer configuration. Thus Battery or Energy Saver for Laptop or Desktop.

To my knowledge, the other such items that you've referenced are all "all or nothing" situations, the CDs & DVDs pane for example, while the Battery pane is simply the original (power adapter & battery) Energy Saver pane with an added [Battery] Usage History pane, thus leaving "Energy Saver" more appropriate than "Battery," because a battery option Mac has still got a power adapter option.

I stand by my opinion that the change is totally gratuitous, not to mention confusing/deceptive.
11 71 Read More
Lounge Jump to new posts
Re: Coronavirus information: assorted web links joemikeb 02/28/21 02:40 PM
Here in Texas you can't get an appointment anywhere without going through the county health system. If you go through Vaccinefinder it will tell you what sites have which vaccine, but you cannot make an appointment and you can only get the vaccine with an appointment and you can only get an appointment going through the county health system. 😡
167 18,921 Read More
Re: No energy saver on M1 chip laptop joemikeb 02/28/21 02:07 PM
Battery settings make no sense on Mac mini as there is no battery?

Seriously there are all sorts of kernel extensions, and even preference panes that only load when they are appropriate to the particular computer configuration. Thus Battery or Energy Saver for Laptop or Desktop.
11 71 Read More
Re: No energy saver on M1 chip laptop artie505 02/28/21 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by kevs
thanks JOe Artie

Joe: no energy saver but there is battery with schedule so maybe Artie is right just battery now on laptop M1?'
Correct.

Other than change for the sake of change, can you think of a single reason why Apple felt the need to subdivide Energy Saver?
11 71 Read More
Networking Jump to new posts
Re: New warning message artie505 02/28/21 02:58 AM
Originally Posted by plantsower
Have you got the both the Safari and Firefox versions of the extension?

Yes, but I rarely use the Firefox one. I forgot I had it there. The window did pop up independently of either browser and threw me a little.
OK, I think we've now reached the end of this tale.
In the end, the extension was taking good care of you.
24 108 Read More
Re: New warning message plantsower 02/28/21 02:45 AM
Have you got the both the Safari and Firefox versions of the extension? [/quote]

Yes, but I rarely use the Firefox one. I forgot I had it there. The window did pop up independently of either browser and threw me a little.
24 108 Read More
Re: New warning message artie505 02/28/21 01:12 AM
The window that popped up on my screen was from the app (extension) itself letting me know that there was something wrong with it in Firefox. It was fine in Safari. So I believed it and clicked "fix" and it did. Whew!

The final piece of the puzzle...my puzzle, anyhow:
I clicked on the extension and it said there was a problem with my extension in Firefox. I don't even use it in Firefox so I turned it off. (Emphasis added)
I assumed that the pop-up popped up within your browser...Safari, since you don't use the extension in Firefox, but it apparently just popped up...independently of either browser.

Have you got the both the Safari and Firefox versions of the extension?
24 108 Read More
Lounge Jump to new posts
Re: Coronavirus information: assorted web links MartyByrde 02/28/21 01:10 AM
Originally Posted by MacManiac
I just stumbled across this resource this morning....and although it disclaims full effectiveness for other than a select few states, it was able to show me COVID vaccination availabilities within my geographic region and as such I was able to schedule an initial and 2nd dose appointment immediately.

https://vaccinefinder.org

....it is SOOOO MUCH more effective than the fragmented county by county links and tools that currently serve Oregon!!!!! Each of those separate resources shows only a limited listing of availabilities while completely missing ALL THE OTHER VALID RESOURCES.

..just sayin'....

Well, I am just SO, SO HAPPY that I started using the site for MyChart (https://mychart.catholichealth.net/prd/Authentication/Login?) last May, as I got notified back in mid January that we were eligible to get the vaccine. Immediately, I chose of of their facilities (closest one to where we live), and was able to schedule an appointment without any hassle for both my wife and I (got it for February 1st). And at that appointment, after getting the shot, they scheduled both of us for the second dose (this coming Thursday). But I have heard how difficult it is up here in the Seattle area to get scheduled. Yeah, the State of Washington did set up a mechanism for doing that, but it is a zoo! I tried using it just for fun, and I could not get an appointment ANYWHERE!

BTW, when doing a google search of MyChart, here are the results:

https://www.google.com/search?q=MyC...623j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

As can be seen, there are numerous MyChart "sites", depending on the Health Care system. This site is the "basic" one: https://www.mychart.com/
167 18,921 Read More
Lounge Jump to new posts
Re: Coronavirus information: assorted web links MartyByrde 02/28/21 01:01 AM
Originally Posted by jchuzi
I got the second dose of the Moderna vaccine 28 days after the first. The first time, I had no side effects. The second time, I started to feel fatigued and had a sore throat a few hours after the shot. The sore throat disappeared within 30 minutes but the fatigue continued into the next day, when I developed a temperature of 100.5. In addition, I had subliminal nausea and reduced appetite. This sounds worse than it was. The symptoms did not interfere when I had to shovel snow for 3 hours (and I felt better doing that activity than sitting around). All ill effects were gone the next day.

My wife just received the first dose of the Pfizer vaccine and, a day later, her only "complaint" (and that's much too strong a word) is that her arm has a very minor soreness at the injection site. We fully expect that she will have some side effects when she gets the second dose, so we will be prepared.

Some advice from an RN and MD: If you need to take medication to reduce your discomfort, take Tylenol ONLY. DO NOT USE Advil or aspirin. (This applies to generics, naturally.) This advice applies specifically to the COVID vaccine and is not a recommendation for any other use. For the record, I never was ill enough to feel compelled to take Tylenol.

Well, my wife and I are getting our second dose of the Moderna Vaccine this coming Thursday March 4th, which will be 31 days since we got the first one. It does seem to depend on the individual as to what side effects will occur. I've talked with some folks that got both doses (one got Moderna, the other Pfizer), and the couple who got the Moderna one had no issues at all, but the person who got the Pfizer one had some (and for some folks at his company who got the Pfizer one, again it was "hit and miss" regarding side effects). The only thing my wife and I experienced after the first dose was some soreness at the area where we got the injection the next day, and for the day after that. My wife also has an appointment with an eye doctor shortly thereafter, so hopefully all will be fine (I think it will be).

After we got that first dose, there was no restriction regarding what pain reliever we could take (we did not need to take anything). We'll see what they tell us on Thursday (we have both Advil and Tylenol). As for aspirin, I do need to take a daily 81 mg tablet for my heart "condition" (everything is fine after getting my stent and TAVR procedures done back in June). I'll remember to ask them about that.
167 18,921 Read More
Re: New warning message plantsower 02/28/21 12:35 AM
The case may be closed but I think of extensions as apps. I didn't know that would throw a monkey wrench into the conversation. Semantics I guess. The window that popped up on my screen was from the app (extension) itself letting me know that there was something wrong with it in Firefox. It was fine in Safari. So I believed it and clicked "fix" and it did. Whew!

Originally Posted by artie505
I was. It's hard to explain. A big window popped up on my screen and said there is a problem with the app on firefox. Then there was a box that said "fix". So, I clicked on the box and it got fixed. That's all I know. LOL!
So the Firefox fix fixed the Safari issue?

Totally confusing, including the fact that you've referred to "it" as both an app and an extension.

Oh, well, no use beating the horse any longer now that it's come back to life.

Case closed!

(In retrospect, I'd love to have experienced this myself.)
24 108 Read More
Re: No energy saver on M1 chip laptop MartyByrde 02/28/21 12:16 AM
On the M1 Mac mini it is still called "Energy Saver" and looks like this. New smarts recognize the difference between a laptop and a desktop and open the appropriate panel.

I have Big Sur (V11.2.2) installed on a partition on my external Samsung T7 1TB SSD, attached to my late 2018 Mac Mini. When I start up the MIni from that external SSD, and booting into Big Sur, it is still called "Energy Saver". I wonder what it would say if I attach that external SSD to my 2017 MacBook Air. I'll try it and report back.

OK, now in Big Sur with the T7 connected to the MacBook Air, and sure enough that Preference Pane is called Battery.
11 71 Read More
What Google and Stanford Learned about Phishing joemikeb 02/27/21 11:53 PM
This MalwareBytes Blog sheds interesting light on phishing schemes as well as offering avoidance tactics.
0 16 Read More
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 16 17