An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Mac Operating Systems Jump to new posts
Re: New Window Opening in Background joemikeb 07/27/21 08:50 PM
blush Found the cure. A reboot was all it took but I am embarrassed after all of my recent pontification about forgetting old fixes. Hopefully I will learn to practice what i preach.
2 9 Read More
Re: New Window Opening in Background artie505 07/27/21 07:26 PM
I don't recall ever having seen a general pref that covers all instances of new windows, although I have seen the front/back option in (at least) Mail.

Have you looked through TinkerTool/TTSystem to see if either one offers the option?
2 9 Read More
New Window Opening in Background joemikeb 07/27/21 07:07 PM
It appears I may have inadvertently set a preference somewhere that is causing new windows to open behind rather than in front of existing windows on the screen. My problem is, I have no idea what preference setting I changed or how to set it back so that new windows have the focus when they open. Any ideas or suggestion? 😵‍💫
2 9 Read More
iTunes, iPhone, iPod, iPad, Apple TV Jump to new posts
Re: Iphone Message Nuisance with Bubbles etc kevs 07/27/21 04:39 PM
Today guys, please! Final messages nuisance forget to ask.

Delete message and ask not all time... REPORT AS JUNK OR NOT.

Total micro nuisance, anyway to get rid of this? What weird sometimes is ask that and 1/2 time not ask that.
10 135 Read More
Lounge Jump to new posts
Re: Ad astra: another passing. ryck 07/25/21 06:16 PM
First a Rabbi, then a comedian, Jackie Mason
853 2,736,143 Read More
Audio, Video, Photography Jump to new posts
Re: filtered jpgs jaybass 07/24/21 03:28 PM
Ira,

I always edit the RAW image but as you probably know, dreamtime want the submission as a jpg. I always enlarge the image a minimum of 3 x to see if it's a keeper.

I have been using Noise ninja after converting to a jpg but I can reduce noise in affinity photo and then export as a jpg. Better.

Thanks Ira,

jaybass
3 35 Read More
Re: filtered jpgs joemikeb 07/24/21 03:18 PM
You will find a highly technical scientific comparison between jpeg and filtered jpeg in this International Journal of Computer Operations article. If you are not interested in the mathematics and comparison tables in the article, the conclusion is:
Originally Posted by International Journal of Computer Operations
However, all the decoded images resulting from this approach and original images are almost the same in human perception point of view.
In other words you are not the only one that can tell little, if any, difference in jpegs and filtered jpegs other than a reduction in the file size. There are other factors that can and will have a highly noticeable effect on jpeg image quality.

If image quality were important, JPEG would be at or near the bottom of my list of choices.
3 35 Read More
Re: filtered jpgs Ira L 07/24/21 01:13 PM
By its very nature JPEG compression is a lossy process. According to the site resizer.app: "The quality of a JPEG image decreases as its file size decreases, and constantly editing and re-saving JPEG photos may further cause the quality to degrade."

To me, the real question is whether I or the person using the JPEG will notice the loss of quality. If it is noticeable, using the RAW format of the image for editing is recommended.
3 35 Read More
filtered jpgs jaybass 07/24/21 12:50 PM
OS 10.14.6

Is a filtered jpg better than a jpg? After reducing noise using noise ninja, the size of the image in MB is reduced. Expanding the image before and after, I see no difference.

I submit images to dreamtime both filtered and unfiltered and if refused, they have never mentioned this point.

Thoughts anyone?

jaybass
3 35 Read More
Lounge Jump to new posts
Re: Kudos to B & H Photo ryck 07/22/21 11:51 PM
Originally Posted by joemikeb
Two nations separated by thousands of miles of border and a common language.
Two nations, yes, but two very different nations, including the way we use English, although Americanization is creeping in. I now hear kids saying zee instead of zed.
6 73 Read More
Lounge Jump to new posts
Re: Kudos to B & H Photo joemikeb 07/22/21 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by ryck
That depends on your preference....British spelling or American. Being Canadian, I lean to the British and set my spell checkers accordingly. cool
Two nations separated by thousands of miles of border and a common language.
6 73 Read More
Lounge Jump to new posts
Re: Apple to destroy device fingerprinting? joemikeb 07/22/21 05:14 PM
I've always been somewhat leery of iCloud (uncertain about storing private information anywhere other than drives I control) but I find this quite interesting....did a quick look around and see that Private Relay will be part of a paid subscription called iCloud+, which will have other security benefits. It seems to be headed for iOS 15....it'd be good if it was also ported over to OS (and very nice if it started in OS 14).

PRIVATE RELAY is already online in macOS 12 b3 (Monterey), as well as iOS 15 b3, and iPadOS 15 b3. As it is a MAJOR FEATURE of these next generation Apple operating systems, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to be retrofitted into the current macOS 11, iOS 14, or iPadOS 14.

Private Relay works quite well, has no appreciable impact on download or upload speed, and in general is totally unobtrusive. The only problem I have encountered was when I chose the option to use "Country and Time Zone" location, I ran into problems with Amazon and one other e-commerce site that wanted to charge the tax rate where my IP address had me located and would not accept my destination address (which is weird as there is no problem if I am traveling and log onto a site in that time zone). Switching to "Maintain general Location" solved the problem neatly. In both settings my IP address and Whois data belonged to Apple's service partner and had no link back to my actual IP address, physical address, or actual ID. 😎 For example my current IP address places me in Bedford, Texas (several miles away) and WhoIS identifies me as a company in Amsterdam.

Private Relay enables another iCloud+ feature Hide My Email that permits you to log onto internet accounts with an email address that is only valid for that single site and can be turned off at any time. Emails from that site are routed to a Private Relay address and from there rerouted to your Apple email address, so your email and you remain hidden behind the Private Relay wall. The downside is the site has to be setup to support Apple login (similar to sites that allow login with your Google or Facebook account). In practice when you log onto the site you enter your logon password — which never goes beyond your device — and Private Relay handles everything else.
2 73 Read More
Re: Iphone Message Nuisance with Bubbles etc kevs 07/22/21 04:59 PM
Thanks Joe, not the unpin done. Did not know about the holding down long is a right click so that help thanks again.
10 135 Read More
Re: Iphone Message Nuisance with Bubbles etc joemikeb 07/22/21 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by kevs
JOe, thanks How new is this pinning feature?
It is in iOS 6 so at least ten months old. (I am not a good judge of that because I run beta software and stay four or five months ahead of the general release curve.)

Originally Posted by keys
Can the other person pin it, or am I'm pinning inadvertently?
You are doing it inadvertently. Almost certainly by holding a click too long.

Originally Posted by keys
Also, I don't see a way to right or control click a conversation, on the iphone. I do see a way if I'm on desktop in messenger and have mouse.'

Even then I don't see a way to unpin it.
You may not like the answer, as it has caused you so much aggravation already but a LONG press on the conversation icon — not the text — will bringup a context menu with options to pin or unpin, hide alerts, or delete.

NOTE: A long press (a.k.a. "long touch") is the touch interface (iOS, iPadOS) equivalent of control+click on the Mac keyboard, a right click on the mouse, or a two finger tap or click on a trackpad. Pinning or unpinning a conversation on one device pins or unpins the conversation on all devices on the same Apple ID account.
10 135 Read More
Lounge Jump to new posts
Re: Apple to destroy device fingerprinting? ryck 07/22/21 01:48 PM
I've always been somewhat leery of iCloud (uncertain about storing private information anywhere other than drives I control) but I find this quite interesting....did a quick look around and see that Private Relay will be part of a paid subscription called iCloud+, which will have other security benefits. It seems to be headed for iOS 15....it'd be good if it was also ported over to OS (and very nice if it started in OS 14).

EDIT: Found the following at another site.

"Cloud Private Relay is a service that lets you connect to virtually any network and browse with Safari in an even more secure and private way. It ensures that the traffic leaving your device is encrypted and uses two separate internet relays so no one can use your IP address, location, and browsing activity to create a detailed profile about you.

iCloud Private Relay is automatically enabled on your Mac, iPhone, and iPad when using Safari – no other browser – and when logged into your iCloud Plus account.

iCloud Private Relay first sends web traffic to a server maintained by Apple, where the IP address is stripped. Next, Apple sends the traffic to a second server maintained by a third-party operator who assigns the user a temporary IP address and sends the traffic onward to its destination website.

The use of an outside party in the second hop of the relay system is designed to prevent even Apple from knowing both the user’s identity and what website the user is visiting. Apple will disclose which outside partners it will use in the system in the future, likely when the service comes online this fall."
2 73 Read More
Lounge Jump to new posts
Re: Kudos to B & H Photo ryck 07/22/21 01:27 PM
Originally Posted by MacManiac
[You know, you miss-spelled "favorites", eh..... blush cool
That depends on your preference....British spelling or American. Being Canadian, I lean to the British and set my spell checkers accordingly. cool
6 73 Read More
Re: Iphone Message Nuisance with Bubbles etc kevs 07/22/21 01:07 AM
JOe, thanks How new is this pinning feature?

Can the other person pin it, or am I'm pinning inadvertently?

Also, I don't see a way to right or control click a conversation, on the iphone. I do see a way if I'm on desktop in messenger and have mouse.'

Even then I don't see a way to unpin it.
10 135 Read More
Re: Iphone Message Nuisance with Bubbles etc joemikeb 07/21/21 09:39 PM
That is a conversation that has become "pinned" Control+Click or right click on a conversation and a context menu will appear with the option to pin (or UN-pin) the conversation. If the person in the conversation is in your contacts list and has a photo associated with the entry that is the picture you will see. Otherwise it is a conversation icon. If you have a lot of conversations going it can be very useful to pin the most critical to the top and then you can drag the pinned conversations into whatever order mess the most sense to you.
10 135 Read More
Lounge Jump to new posts
Apple to destroy device fingerprinting? joemikeb 07/21/21 09:32 PM
Mobile Advertisers Expect Apple to destroy device fingerprinting with iCloud Private Relay There is too much money involved for this to be the final say in the matter but it tells advertisers how UN-popular their ads have become.

ADDENDUM: It is evident that Apple's privacy emphasis is having an impact. Was just playing an App Store game, and growing more and more irritated by the ads for other games, after every round of play. Then as I once again clicked on the almost invisible "x" to kill the promo when my browser launched and this Google page opened. I firmly believe game developers, like other software developers, deserve fair compensation for their creativity, but this is going too far.
2 73 Read More
Lounge Jump to new posts
Re: Kudos to B & H Photo MacManiac 07/21/21 07:10 PM
Ansel Adams is one of my favourites..

[humor]You know, you miss-spelled "favorites", eh..... blush cool[/humor]

(edited to add pseudo markup indicating that i KNEW the spelling of favorite in Canada was with an "ou"....some people can just be too literal....it's only humorous if it doesn't require an explanation, I guess!)
6 73 Read More
Re: Can't dictate text with shared photo plantsower 07/21/21 06:28 PM
As suggested, a power off and on of the iPhone might clear it up. [/quote]

Which is did! Thanks, Ira.
8 107 Read More
Lounge Jump to new posts
Re: Kudos to B & H Photo ryck 07/21/21 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by jchuzi
Ansel Adams maintained that the most important tool in your darkroom is the trash can. I can attest to that! tongue
Haha....me too. Ansel Adams is one of my favourites...we have a large one of his prints in the living room, and my oldest daughter has a 12 picture display of his images on one of her walls.
6 73 Read More
Lounge Jump to new posts
Re: Kudos to B & H Photo jchuzi 07/21/21 05:50 PM
I’ve been going through large boxes of old prints in order to have just the “keepers” for digitizing, and trash the balance (Geez, did I really take that many bad shots?).
I'm happy that you are pleased with BH. In response to the quote, Ansel Adams maintained that the most important tool in your darkroom is the trash can. I can attest to that! tongue
6 73 Read More
Re: Iphone Message Nuisance with Bubbles etc kevs 07/21/21 05:32 PM
Ira, thanks, you are right, Joe is right. Not paying attention 100% of time, just 97% so every blue moon hold too long, and what,,.. wtf is going on? One of th most annoying features in any apple product of all time.

Yeah Joe I meant Touch Accomodation is off. I'll keep it off but make a not as had no idea it existed.

New issue Today on Messenger! Now seeing in messenger, for the first time, some message (have no idea why or what) but some come up at top with persons profile in a circle. Have seen this? Brand new nuisance. And can't delete it, or I have not figured out.. wont slide to right to delete like normal message.
10 135 Read More
Lounge Jump to new posts
Kudos to B & H Photo ryck 07/21/21 04:42 PM
To start, I have no business, financial or other vested interest in B & H.

I’ve been going through large boxes of old prints in order to have just the “keepers” for digitizing, and trash the balance (Geez, did I really take that many bad shots?).

Storing the keepers needed to be upgraded from something other than large plastic boxes, and I found something I thought perfect, except the vendor insisted on applying a customs brokerage fee that was more than double the shipping fee. I tried explaining that the item was not subject to customs duties under the CUSMA rules and therefore did not need processing through a brokerage.

They insisted I was wrong, so I removed the item from my basket and continued shopping.

Over time at FTM I have heard Jon and others talk about good experiences at B & H Photo, so I looked there and found an even better item. Their website also advised, in the description, that it was tax-free under CUSMA. What a hitch-free experience. I placed the order on the 14th and it arrived yesterday - New York through customs and across the border to the Okanagan Valley in a week. Perfect.
6 73 Read More
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7