An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Networking Jump to new posts
Re: eMail remote content artie505 09/19/20 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by Ira L
I see the same behavior with the "Load Remote" button you describe. When I go back to the first email the remote content is no longer present. Never noticed it before because I don't usually click back to the first email since they tend to be in my Junk mail.
That's not what I"m seeing.

When I go back to the first email the remote content is still present, but the (unnecessary) "Load remote content" button has reappeared.

I see it frequently, because it happens with emails from Verizon, Amazon, and other entities with which I deal which reman in my in-box.
5 59 Read More
Re: eMail remote content Ira L 09/19/20 05:17 PM
I see the same behavior with the "Load Remote" button you describe. When I go back to the first email the remote content is no longer present. Never noticed it before because I don't usually click back to the first email since they tend to be in my Junk mail.
5 59 Read More
Lounge Jump to new posts
Re: Ad astra: another passing. artie505 09/19/20 08:19 AM
Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Supreme Court’s Feminist Icon
As Justice Ginsburg passed her 80th birthday and 20th anniversary on the Supreme Court bench during President Barack Obama’s second term, she shrugged off a chorus of calls for her to retire in order to give a Democratic president the chance to name her replacement. She planned to stay “as long as I can do the job full steam,” she would say, sometimes adding, “There will be a president after this one, and I’m hopeful that that president will be a fine president.”
OUCH!
How sadly naive and self-serving. frown
802 2,351,091 Read More
Re: eMail remote content artie505 09/18/20 10:49 PM
Thanks, guys, but for some reason Ira's post prompted me to go looking, and I found out that it's a bug in Mail 13.4.

When I quit and relaunch Mail, the remote content appears only after I hit the "Load remote content" button, at which point the button disappears.

Subsequently, though, when I click away from the particular email and then back to it, both the remote content and the "Load..." button are there.

(I was never worried about it being a malware problem, because I click on the button only when the sender is a known reliable entity.)
5 59 Read More
Re: eMail remote content joemikeb 09/18/20 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by Ira L
Perhaps the remotely loaded contents are micro-messages or some other subtly embedded content that are not visible to the naked eye?

I have heard of malware exploits being distributed that way, but I don’t know if they targeted Macs or not.
5 59 Read More
Re: eMail remote content Ira L 09/18/20 05:31 PM
Perhaps the remotely loaded contents are micro-messages or some other subtly embedded content that are not visible to the naked eye?
5 59 Read More
Re: Safari freezes anyone? artie505 09/18/20 06:57 AM
I'll go out on a limb...again and say that it looks like the freezes have been banished from Safari 14.0 smile cool
36 2,932 Read More
Mac OS X System Jump to new posts
Re: Create a temp Apple ID? artie505 09/18/20 02:49 AM
Originally Posted by joemikeb
Originally Posted by artie505
I don't see "Account" in my Music menu bar. Might it have something to do with my never having purchased any iTunes music?

I don't know, but check System Preferences > Apple ID and see if your Apple Account is setup there. (The last beta update broke Music in Big Sur, it launches straight to an error message. But I have checked my server that is still running Catalina and it does have Account on the Music menu bar.)
I found it! "Account" appears in your Music menu bar only if "iTunes Store" is enabled in Prefs > Restrictions.

It's also in System Prefs as expected.
27 258 Read More
Re: Create a temp Apple ID? joemikeb 09/17/20 08:43 PM
I don't see "Account" in my Music menu bar. Might it have something to do with my never having purchased any iTunes music?

I don't know, but check System Preferences > Apple ID and see if your Apple Account is setup there. (The last beta update broke Music in Big Sur, it launches straight to an error message. But I have checked my server that is still running Catalina and it does have Account on the Music menu bar.)

(Should there be anything following "In earlier versions of macOS?")

It was at that point, I had a situation and subsequently ended up having to reinstall Mac OS 11. During the process I learned...
  1. I am not sure if I screwed up or the Mac OS 11 installer ignored my choice of installation drive...
  2. Big Sur is really serious about what it will and won't permit to be backed up or restored...
  3. The Big Sur installer has new features including a guided setup of the accessibility features...
  4. Somehow I had lost the ability to access my keychain files and could not remember old login passwords...
  5. To be grateful that Apple has alternate and very secure ways of resetting passwords (One of which sent a message that went ONLY to my Apple Watch)...
  6. To be particularly thankful I had my keychain synched with iCloud and was thereby able to recover all my lost passwords...
  7. To be thankful that in the interim I had 1Password to permit me to access everything I needed...
  8. To begin keeping a history of prior passwords in 1Password because you never know when an old password may save your backside (the next time)...
27 258 Read More
Lounge Jump to new posts
Re: The thread formerly known as: Maybe 45 ... artie505 09/17/20 03:57 PM
Now, if "Dubya" would only sign on...
Forty-three signaled his support of Biden after the Democratic National Convention.
From what I"ve read, that's not quite accurate.

The farthest Bush has gone...will go is simply not support Trump, same as he did in 2016. "He's removed from Presidential politics."

More: Bush doesn't have to say that he's going to vote for Biden, but this is no time for him to stand on pretty principles. If he doesn't denounce Trump it will mean that he's forgotten why his father, "the sucker," got shot down in WWII and why HE ran for President in the first place, and he will be complicit if Trump is re-elected and equally complicit in the end of the democracy he grew up in, presumably loved, and led.

If he doesn't denounce Trump he doesn't love the America he presided over and shouldn't have run for President in the first place!
322 73,794 Read More
Lounge Jump to new posts
Re: The thread formerly known as: Maybe 45 ... ryck 09/17/20 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by jchuzi
I am not a religious person by any means, but I am starting to believe in the existence of the devil.
And his name is Trump who, on the advice of his radiologist medical advisor (Scott Atlas), has embarked on a plan that is destined to kill millions, yes millions, of Americans. In her show last night Rachel Maddow presented the evidence. The video links are well worth watching.
322 73,794 Read More
Lounge Jump to new posts
Re: The thread formerly known as: Maybe 45 ... ryck 09/17/20 01:35 PM
Forty-three signaled his support of Biden after the Democratic National Convention.
Speaking of support from unexpected quarters.... After 175 years of political neutrality, the Scientific American is endorsing Joe Biden.
322 73,794 Read More
Lounge Jump to new posts
Re: First Look At Big Sur artie505 09/17/20 08:27 AM
Maybe adding cellular capability to the MacBook would solve your conundrum.
It would be a solution only if I was in a place where there was cellular access.

There are large parts of the world where there's neither cellular nor wi-fi available, and what do I do if my SSD goes south while I'm in such a location?
30 1,049 Read More
Re: Create a temp Apple ID? artie505 09/17/20 01:16 AM
Originally Posted by kevs
PS is there a place to see you apple ID on the imac?

In all versions of MacOS:
  1. Open Music (nee. iTunes)
  2. On the Music menu bar select Account
  3. The Apple ID will be under Apple ID Summary

In Catalina: go to System Preferences > AppleID > Password & Security
In earlier versions of MacOS

(Should there be anything following "In earlier versions of macOS?")
27 258 Read More
Re: Create a temp Apple ID? kevs 09/17/20 12:24 AM
Joe, thanks in all three places (system pref twice, Music), is has the email I gave the developer. This is a info@ mywebsite.com type of email. But during the share session he said, oh it says your ID is ...@icloud.com (which is my main icloud email which I rarely use)

Note that to do the invite we used the method of him texting me, and me inviting him to share computer through the details part of a text message. Maybe that is the deal? It was pretty odd for his to say oh it's saying this is your apple ID, which is not the Apple ID.
27 258 Read More
eMail remote content artie505 09/16/20 11:48 PM
I've got my Mail pref set to NOT load remote content, yet many times I see no additional content when I click on a "Load" button.

Can anybody explain what's happening?

Thanks.
5 59 Read More
Lounge Jump to new posts
Re: First Look At Big Sur joemikeb 09/16/20 11:31 PM
Maybe adding cellular capability to the MacBook would solve your conundrum. There is a rumored 11” MacBook Air(?), which would appear be little more than an 11” iPad Pro with a built in keyboard and running MacOS. 😜
30 1,049 Read More
Re: Create a temp Apple ID? joemikeb 09/16/20 03:41 PM
Can you now explain how that dev got into kevs's Mac?

I was hoping you could tell me 😜
27 258 Read More
Re: Create a temp Apple ID? joemikeb 09/16/20 03:39 PM

In all versions of MacOS:
  1. Open Music (nee. iTunes)
  2. On the Music menu bar select Account
  3. The Apple ID will be under Apple ID Summary

In Catalina: go to System Preferences > AppleID > Password & Security
In earlier versions of MacOS
27 258 Read More
Re: Create a temp Apple ID? artie505 09/16/20 01:11 AM
Can you now explain how that dev got into kevs's Mac?
27 258 Read More
Re: Create a temp Apple ID? kevs 09/15/20 10:37 PM
THANKS guys, well just got off the computer phone and screenshare went well. Oddly the ID I use to sign into Apple.com, and icloud.com etc, was not the ID.. he saw the ID on his end and it was an icloud email, my default email @icloud which I do not use to sign in to apple.com or icloud.com

that was odd, over my head, but he spotted it and it was ok.

27 258 Read More
Re: Create a temp Apple ID? joemikeb 09/15/20 10:28 PM
Kind of feels like when I get invited by Apple or some other companies they have software, I accept they get in and then they are gone. Except with this they/ or he would have my apple ID..

If you ever have the slightest question after someone else has been on your computer, you can always changer your logon password and your Apple ID Password. It isn't difficult and it would add an extra barrier to someone coming back to visit when you aren't looking.
27 258 Read More
Re: Create a temp Apple ID? artie505 09/15/20 07:18 PM
I know nothing more about the functionality than that it exists, but I'm wondering if this guy needs a p/w to use an SSH tunnel?
27 258 Read More
Re: Create a temp Apple ID? kevs 09/15/20 05:53 PM
Thanks Ira, this person is someone to trust, Still I'm asking these questions anyway.

So while I took Joes notes; this developer then (being he is a software wizard), would initiate everything. I don't have to do all those steps that Joe pointed out unless I'm initiating it all?

And from there, he would invite me to share and that it's and then it would over on that one session. He wouldn't have any access once done?

Kind of feels like when I get invited by Apple or some other companies they have software, I accept they get in and then they are gone. Except with this they/ or he would have my apple ID..
27 258 Read More
Re: Create a temp Apple ID? Ira L 09/15/20 05:15 PM
From my experience the access lasts for a "session", however long that may be. But before you even start you have to give them permission to have access. How you give that permission can vary with the type of access. In my case a banner popped up on my computer and you click on either "Accept" or "Decline". Also, there is usually something that indicates you are in shared mode. I saw a new icon in my menu bar. When sharing ended, the icon was gone. Also the type of access can vary. It could be just seeing what is on your screen all the way up to the ability to type and click. Of course if you are really paranoid or extremely cautious, you could imagine that a less honorable person could fake ending a session and still have access, which is why you should trust the company or person with whom you are dealing.
27 258 Read More
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 16 17