of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Mac Applications Jump to new posts
Re: stopping disk image progress artie505 11/29/22 06:05 AM
Originally Posted by jaybass
OS 10.14.6
I thought I would create a password for a folder via utilities. I find I am creating a disk image which looks like it is taking forever
By the way, I'm not aware of any way to password-protect a folder in Disk Utility (or otherwise on macOS) without creating a password-protected disk image to contain it.

I believe I've run across 3rd party utilities that will do it, though.
6 17 Read More
Re: stopping disk image progress artie505 11/28/22 09:11 PM
I assume that all is back to square one if the window has disappeared, but look in Activity Monitor. DU should no longer be running.
6 17 Read More
Re: stopping disk image progress jaybass 11/28/22 08:44 PM
I have just force quit DU and the window disappeared. Does that mean everything is back to square one?

How do I know for sure?

jaybass
6 17 Read More
Re: stopping disk image progress artie505 11/28/22 08:35 PM
Have you tried to FORCE quit DU via Apps/Utilities/Activity Monitor?

(If DU won't even let you restart/shut down, will it let you boot into another volume?)
6 17 Read More
Re: stopping disk image progress jaybass 11/28/22 08:26 PM
I tried to restart but disk utility wouldn't let me. The same for shut down! This thing has taken over.

jaybass
6 17 Read More
Re: stopping disk image progress artie505 11/28/22 08:07 PM
Just restarting may be enough.
6 17 Read More
stopping disk image progress jaybass 11/28/22 06:17 PM
OS 10.14.6
I thought I would create a password for a folder via utilities. I find I am creating a disk image which looks like it is taking forever

How can I stop it? If I rebooted using my backup, would that remove the problem?

jaybass
6 17 Read More
Lounge Jump to new posts
Re: Indict Bonespur? Keep fingers crossed artie505 11/28/22 02:08 AM
I wonder if it was a shot across Ivanka's bow?
21 336 Read More
Lounge Jump to new posts
Re: Indict Bonespur? Keep fingers crossed grelber 11/28/22 12:55 AM
And of course the latest Mar-a-Lago debacle involving Trumpsky, Kanye West and Nick Fuentes.
Table talk takes on a whole new meaning with that triumvirate.
It also establishes The Dongle as the categorical definition of "sick joke".
Blech!
21 336 Read More
Lounge Jump to new posts
Lupine Feminism grelber 11/28/22 12:44 AM
I highly recommend the just-released The Alpha Female Wolf : The Fierce Legacy of Yellowstone's 06 by Rick McIntyre.

Of course McIntyre's previous 3 treatises on the Yellowstone wolves (beginning with their reintroduction in 1995 from Alberta and British Columbia) are also well worth the investment of time and intellectual energy, not to mention enjoyment and revelation:
The Rise of Wolf 8 : Witnessing the Triumph of Yellowstone's Underdog (2019)
The Reign of Wolf 21 : The Saga of Yellowstone's Legendary Druid Pack (2020)
The Redemption of Wolf 302 : From Renegade to Yellowstone Alpha Male (2021)
0 10 Read More
Peripherals Jump to new posts
Re: Re-trying SuperDuper plantsower 11/27/22 02:21 AM
OK, hope you're right.

Originally Posted by artie505
Originally Posted by plantsower
OK, I'm a little worried now, but I hope it fits.
I don't think you've got anything to worry about. SD cards are standard specs. (Actually, I once had a camera that used a weird card that didn't fit in my slot, but that was a rarity.)
45 224 Read More
Re: Re-trying SuperDuper artie505 11/26/22 09:24 PM
I don't think you've got anything to worry about. SD cards are standard specs. (Actually, I once had a camera that used a weird card that didn't fit in my slot, but that was a rarity.)
45 224 Read More
Re: Re-trying SuperDuper plantsower 11/26/22 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by artie
I'm pretty sure the card reader is USB.
But the slot next to the HDMI slot is way wider than USB ports.
It's not the physical configuration of the port that dictates, rather it's the circuitry behind it, so as long as it connects to the USB bus, it's a USB device.
45 224 Read More
Re: Re-trying SuperDuper artie505 11/26/22 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by artie
But the slot next to the HDMI slot is way wider than USB ports.
It's not the physical configuration of the port that dictates, rather it's the circuitry behind it, so as long as it connects to the USB bus, it's a USB device.
45 224 Read More
Re: Re-trying SuperDuper plantsower 11/26/22 08:51 PM
I'm pretty sure the card reader is USB. [/quote] But the slot next to the HDMI slot is way wider than USB ports.
45 224 Read More
Re: Re-trying SuperDuper joemikeb 11/26/22 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by joemikeb
SD cards, and Thumb drives invaribly come from the factory with a Master Boot Record partition scheme and formatted MS-DOS (FAT 16). However, Disk Utility can easily erase the existing partition scheme and reformat them HFS+ or APFS with A GUID partitioning scheme. Assuming Super Duper uses Apple's cloning utility (the only way to create a bootable clone of the later versions of macOS), erasure and reformating is an inescapable result of the cloning process and cannot be prevented.
I think you're missing a step.

You are correct, I was missing a critical step. I just tested using CCC 6.1.4-b5 (7443) and when I selected an SD card as the target drive, I got a popup saying I had to use Disk Utility to change the partition scheme from MBR to GUID. I changed the partition scheme to GUID formatted MS-DOS, but after running the "Legacy" clone it was reformatted to APFS.

It is most definitely USB and that is USB 3.1 (5 Gbps). The storage technology used in SD and SD microcards is so slow, a faster connection would not improve the response time or throughput of the device.
45 224 Read More
Re: Re-trying SuperDuper artie505 11/26/22 12:50 PM
I just saw this on the SuperDuper website. Does this include the SD card I just bought? If so, he doesn't call it that. I guess what I'm asking is "is that slot for my SD card called a firewire drive?"

Intel Mac users can boot from USB 2, USB 3, Thunderbolt or FireWire driv
es.
The SD slot has got nothing to do with FireWire. (FireWire was an Apple high-speed data transfer protocol that they mis-marketed and have since retired.)

45 224 Read More
Re: Re-trying SuperDuper artie505 11/26/22 12:42 PM
SD cards, and Thumb drives invaribly come from the factory with a Master Boot Record partition scheme and formatted MS-DOS (FAT 16). However, Disk Utility can easily erase the existing partition scheme and reformat them HFS+ or APFS with A GUID partitioning scheme. Assuming Super Duper uses Apple's cloning utility (the only way to create a bootable clone of the later versions of macOS), erasure and reformating is an inescapable result of the cloning process and cannot be prevented.
I think you're missing a step.

SD! & CCC both erase the destination container, but in order to get rid of the Master Boot Record itself on the flash drive I recently bought I had to do a separate, initial erase in Disk Utility of the "top line" of the drive.
45 224 Read More
Re: Re-trying SuperDuper plantsower 11/26/22 02:16 AM
I just saw this on the SuperDuper website. Does this include the SD card I just bought? If so, he doesn't call it that. I guess what I'm asking is "is that slot for my SD card called a firewire drive?"

Intel Mac users can boot from USB 2, USB 3, Thunderbolt or FireWire driv
es.

Unless S/D is intuitive about it like it was the other day when it gave me a choice to push a button to change the format to ..... Can't remember the initials. Anyway, I copied and pasted your directions for future use. I ordered the SD card last night. Now I need to purchase S/D for I can have automatic scheduling for backup.

45 224 Read More
Re: Re-trying SuperDuper joemikeb 11/25/22 11:14 PM
Unless S/D is intuitive about it like it was the other day when it gave me a choice to push a button to change the format to ..... Can't remember the initials. Anyway, I copied and pasted your directions for future use. I ordered the SD card last night. Now I need to purchase S/D for I can have automatic scheduling for backup.

45 224 Read More
Re: Re-trying SuperDuper artie505 11/25/22 06:37 PM
Unless S/D is intuitive about it like it was the other day when it gave me a choice to push a button to change the format to ..... Can't remember the initials.
That's a good question.

It'll be interesting to see if SD! can recognize and correct a disk that's not formatted for Mac in addition to recognizing and reformatting one that is formatted for Mac, but incorrectly. (If, in fact, your SD card really isn't formatted for Mac.)

Please post screenshots of any pertinent pop-ups.
45 224 Read More
Re: Re-trying SuperDuper plantsower 11/25/22 05:22 PM

Thanks for clarifying. The SD sounds the best. I'll be back if I get one and then can't figure out how to use SuperDuper with it. Probably easy, but you know me.
Chances are you'll have to reformat the card before SD! can deal with it.

It needs to be formatted "GUID Partition Map," and if it isn't, select the top line, hit "Erase," and select it from the pop-up. (You can also name the card in the same pop-up.)

Once that's done, SD! should offer it to you as a destination and from there you can set your schedule.
45 224 Read More
Re: Re-trying SuperDuper artie505 11/25/22 12:13 PM
Thanks for clarifying. The SD sounds the best. I'll be back if I get one and then can't figure out how to use SuperDuper with it. Probably easy, but you know me.
Chances are you'll have to reformat the card before SD! can deal with it.

It needs to be formatted "GUID Partition Map," and if it isn't, select the top line, hit "Erase," and select it from the pop-up. (You can also name the card in the same pop-up.)

Once that's done, SD! should offer it to you as a destination and from there you can set your schedule.
45 224 Read More
Re: Re-trying SuperDuper plantsower 11/25/22 04:24 AM

OK, sorry to sound so redundant, but the SD card goes next to the HDMI port, right? If that's right, where would the flash drive go? Yes, I thought about not getting the 256 because I don't plan on storing anything else. If I decide to, I guess I could get another SD card.
Yes, the SD card goes in the slot next to the HDMI port, i.e., the one marked SDXC card slot in your pic.

A USB flash drive would go either directly into a USB port or into a Thunderbolt port via an adapter.

You've still got your WD My Passport for data, but the easiest setup would be a 256 GB SD card that can just sit in its slot forever...never need to be swapped out...never risk being misplaced.
45 224 Read More
Re: Re-trying SuperDuper artie505 11/25/22 03:32 AM
OK, sorry to sound so redundant, but the SD card goes next to the HDMI port, right? If that's right, where would the flash drive go? Yes, I thought about not getting the 256 because I don't plan on storing anything else. If I decide to, I guess I could get another SD card.
Yes, the SD card goes in the slot next to the HDMI port, i.e., the one marked SDXC card slot in your pic.

A USB flash drive would go either directly into a USB port or into a Thunderbolt port via an adapter.

You've still got your WD My Passport for data, but the easiest setup would be a 256 GB SD card that can just sit in its slot forever...never need to be swapped out...never risk being misplaced.
45 224 Read More
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6