of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Mac Operating Systems Jump to new posts
Re: Uploading issues joemikeb 04/19/24 08:36 PM
As they say in the piney woods of east Texas
Even a blind pig can find a few acorns laugh

Something had become unraveled deep in your system which might have taken weeks to find, much less fix. I and my fellow denizens of FineTunedMac tend to be curious about the why and lose sight of the point of the exercise, which is to fix the problem. Thanks for reminding me of that. tongue

I have my fingers crossed waiting to hear how the upload went.

FURTHER SUGGESTIONS:

The fact that additional problems were cropping up suggests things were still unraveling. For future peace of mind…
  • Run Apple Diagnostics (not the most robust or informative but they are free and can identify any glaring hardware issues)
  • Run Etrecheck Pro. It is a diagnostic tool that can indicate existing or potential problem areas and can assist in simple tasks such as deleting problematic files, but it is not a "fixit" utility. The free version provides basic information, the paid version provides additional analysis to aid in understanding what the basic data is telling you. But both leave any actions to the user's discretion.
9 104 Read More
Re: Uploading issues Rain 04/19/24 05:11 PM
Yes you are right, Re-Install is often the way to go. 66.6% of problems solved!
I have done this and I can now send emails and AirDrops. The critical test will be the upload to my Cloud based back-up tonight.
Thanks for the suggestion.
9 104 Read More
Re: Uploading issues joemikeb 04/18/24 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by Rain
Hi, I will try, But this seems to be wider than the browser. My AirDrop is now not working, and I can't send emails either, (not sure if that might have been linked to clearing the cache?).
I can however receive emails (but not AirDrops).
I will try a Safe Boot.
The only side effect of deleting cache files is operations may be a bit slower until the cache files are rebuilt, which happens the first time the app is used after the files are deleted. When I worked for Microsoft training their tech support "engineers" there were two quick fixes commonly used when an immediate "fix" did not present itself.
  1. Reboot and if that didn't work
  2. Re-install

Although that didn't reveal the cause, roughly ²∕₃ of the time it solved the user's problem and saved everyone a lot of time.
9 104 Read More
Networking Jump to new posts
Re: Loss of Gmail access grelber 04/18/24 04:21 PM
RE: I thought you couldn't access Gmail?

At home (due to snail-speed loading).

At a high-speed access terminal it's obviously not a problem. Question remains as stated.
25 834 Read More
Networking Jump to new posts
Re: Loss of Gmail access joemikeb 04/18/24 03:28 PM
Given the changes at Google I don't know that this would work with your version of macOS or not, but it has always been a feature of macOS to merge the contents of Google's, and other provider's, "address books" into Apple's Contacts following these Apple instructions. Contacts and Contacts can be sorted by first or last name in Contacts > Settings > General.
25 834 Read More