An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Lounge
Jump to new posts Re: Coronavirus information: assorted web links by artie505 @ Yesterday at 11:49 PM

The most socially responsible thing Facebook and Twitter (and others?) could do is declare themselves to in fact be EXCLUSIVELY social...to the COMPLETE exclusion of politics. Yeah, nice thought.
Mac Desktops & Notebooks
Jump to new posts Re: Dongle question by artie505 @ Yesterday at 11:25 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikebAnker has a "Store" on Amazon so I doubt payment for placement is an issue. I'd be surprised to learn that Amazon doesn't sell placement, same as supermarkets do. On the other hand, though, why should Anker pa
iTunes, iPhone, iPod, iPad, Apple TV
Jump to new posts Re: Where's all the data going? by Bob_00001 @ Yesterday at 06:45 PM

I think I may have solved the problem. I held my breath and installed the latest version of iOS today. The phone is surprisingly well behaved, so far. I've avoided updating iOS after having two bad experiences. My problems began two updates ago. Afte
Lounge
Jump to new posts Re: Wait for Apple Silicon by alternaut @ Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Originally Posted By: ryckNo need to quote the article about the things that users should be doing to protect themselves. In our home that has been the modus operandi for a long time… I had little doubt you’d be on top of that, but the quote was
Networking
Jump to new posts Re: Yahoo mail corrupted?? by plantsower @ Yesterday at 05:38 PM

I didn't know there was a difference in restarting and actually shutting down!!I thought restarting was a short cut to shutting down but did the same thing. Live and learn. Thanks, Artie. Originally Posted By: artie505Hi, Rita. In order of how &q
Networking
Jump to new posts Re: Yahoo mail corrupted?? by artie505 @ Yesterday at 05:29 PM

Hi, Rita. In order of how "deep" you get into your system, (a) log out/in is the least effective procedure, (b) restarting is second best, and (c) shutting down and restating after 15 seconds has the most potential to be effective. I've lo
Networking
Jump to new posts Re: Yahoo mail corrupted?? by plantsower @ Yesterday at 05:06 PM

Thank you. I know to reboot, but I never thought to log out and in again. That will be on my list next time. Originally Posted By: jchuziSometimes the simple things work. When I have a problem, the first thing that I do is to restart (logging
Lounge
Jump to new posts Re: Coronavirus information: assorted web links by alternaut @ Yesterday at 04:37 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505It's a shame that it's taken Twitter and Facebook so long to exercise their rights. Right, but what about that pesky social responsibility, duty even? Not surprisingly, all that appears subject to the almighty Dollar, he
Networking
Jump to new posts Re: Yahoo mail corrupted?? by jchuzi @ Yesterday at 04:23 PM

Sometimes the simple things work. When I have a problem, the first thing that I do is to restart (logging out/in might accomplish the same thing). Much of the time, the solution is that simple. At any rate, I'm happy for you.
Networking
Jump to new posts Re: Yahoo mail corrupted?? by plantsower @ Yesterday at 03:18 PM

Well, guess what? I logged out of my user account and logged into my alternate user account and Yahoo worked! So, I logged out and back into my regular user account, and now it's working! Beats me! Originally Posted By: plantsowerIt's also s
Networking
Jump to new posts Re: Yahoo mail corrupted?? by plantsower @ Yesterday at 02:44 PM

It's also saying it is offline when I check, and that all other mail apps are online. I tried to put it back online but nothing happens. Why would that be? Why does it stay off line when I click to put it online? I'm not contacting Yahoo, that
Networking
Jump to new posts Re: Mail will not retrieve emails by plantsower @ Yesterday at 02:04 PM

Hi Jon: Unfortunately, I tried almost all those techniques before I wrote to FTM. I don't use Outlook and I did not update. I CANNOT delete my Yahoo account from my mail program, so I tried to add it again. But, it said my account was already th
Networking
Jump to new posts Re: Yahoo mail corrupted?? by jchuzi @ Yesterday at 01:50 PM

This seems similar to a problem that I had (not with Yahoo, however). See this thread for details. A harmless thing to do is to set up a new account in Mail with the same password. In my case, apparently my account had become corrupt. Whatever you
Networking
Jump to new posts Yahoo mail corrupted?? by plantsower @ Yesterday at 01:13 PM

Today I had a window pop up saying that I needed to sign into my Yahoo Mail with a password. That's never happened before since I use the Mac mail with Yahoo in it. I noticed the "lightening bolts" in my Yahoo mail letting me know that I
Mac Desktops & Notebooks
Jump to new posts Re: Dongle question by joemikeb @ Yesterday at 04:48 AM

Originally Posted By: artie505 It's not ideal, but it's probably the best that can be done under the circumstances: each of the adapters is accessible and manageable. I wonder if Anker balks at paying Amazon for placement, because my "USB C to
Lounge
Jump to new posts Re: Coronavirus information: assorted web links by artie505 @ Yesterday at 01:22 AM

Originally Posted By: joemikebFreedom of speech is not absolute. Going back to Don Imus's firing, when Joe Love said to me "It's the beginning of the end of free speech," I've seen frequent confusion about precisely what "free speech&q
Lounge
Jump to new posts Re: Coronavirus information: assorted web links by artie505 @ Yesterday at 01:11 AM

Originally Posted By: joemikebFree speech must be for all, not just those whose words we approve of. Those who are thoughtful, analytical, and informed must speak out against the quacks and charlatans, but that does not mean silencing their voices. C
Lounge
Jump to new posts Re: Apparently I wasn’t the only one waiting... by artie505 @ Yesterday at 12:47 AM

Originally Posted By: joemikebOn The Other Hand: It appears apple is making it exceedingly difficult to create a bootable system image backup. 🤓 Whatever happened to "user friendly" and "it just works?" Even before this I've r
Mac Desktops & Notebooks
Jump to new posts Re: Dongle question by artie505 @ Yesterday at 12:40 AM

Originally Posted By: joemikebMy Mac mini is standing vertically on one edge but the connectors are still a PITA. I searched Amazon for USB C to USB adapters, and on the basis of favorable reviews of the brand by you in particular and others I wound