Originally Posted By: grelber
And then, of course, there's David Pogue's take:
Apple’s Mountain Lion Makes the Mac More Like the iPad

Three notable quotes from Pogue's column (Emphasis added):
  1. [...] Thursday’s announcement: from now on, Apple will update Mac OS X once a year.
  2. Over all, Mountain Lion shows that Apple is continuing to unify its ecosystem — to bring the same apps, interfaces and data to all Apple gadgets. It’s a calculated, evilly smart way to make staying within the Apple family even more desirable, comfortable and useful.
  3. The bigger question is how long it can keep coming up with big cat names. Mac OS X Bobcat? Mac OS X Cougar (Same as Puma & Mountain Lion [and, I just noticed, Panther])? Mac OS X Really Fat Tabby?
All in all, ML is simply the next step in the progression begun by Lion.

Edit: I can't begin to guess how the setup will work, but I can envision a day when Macs, iPhones, and iPads will be sold as "paired" sets. (I wonder whether we'll be able to buy the individual components or whether Apple is on the road to creating a "minimal user" niche, much like the 56k modem/capped bandwidth niche, that it doesn't care to fill?) frown

Last edited by artie505; 02/17/12 10:27 AM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire