As a mature user who has fiddled with Macs since System 6, the option to put files and apps in the location of my choice is certainly appealing. I'm aware that some apps, particularly Apple ones, actually need to go into the Applications folder in order to work or be updated and am quite happy to live with that.

I'm supremely indifferent to any Adobe update failure; its taken me weeks to locate and delete the insistent Reader updater which I found eventually in an obscure cache folder with a ridiculously long string of numbers for a name. I hope it does it doesn't malevolently reappear.

Joemikeb indicates a couple of caveats when updating MAS purchased apps moved to other folders (admin password, moving the app back) and I can live with these. But I would have liked the choice in the first place!

Thanks ryck for the the CleanApp recommendation. I've used the free and unobtrusive prefpane AppTrap for some years; it only reveals itself when you toss an app in the trash.

Thanks all for the great feedback. I think I'll stay away from the Apple Discussion Forums.

I also wonder if any changes are contemplated for the MAS with the advent of Lion…