Mike,

As you have discovered the S.M.A.R.T. report of "verified" doesn't mean much. I have had two failed drives that still passed the "verified" test. In fact according to the Google Labs white paper, Failure Trends in a Large Disk Drive Population, S.M.A.R.T. is a poor indicator of drive health. Primarily because it is left up to the manufacturer to determine the failure levels and they have a financial incentive to be overly optimistic. Additionally the "verified" reading is based on a subset of the actual S.M.A.R.T. parameters. AFIK TechTool Pro is the only utility that reports all the S.M.A.R.T. values individually. In both of my cases, TTP showed a non-standard parameter that was out of tolerance while Disk Utility, Drive Genius, and OnyX reported verified.

The aforementioned white paper indicates the best indicator of drive health is a surface scan, which can take several hours to accomplish on a large drive. If new bad data blocks are found on a drive, that drive is 39 times more likely to fail within the next 60 days than a drive with no new bad data blocks.

In any case your drive, as were mine, is toast regardless of whether or not the S.M.A.R.T. is verified and must be replaced. I now make it a policy to run a full surface scan on any drive, before putting it into service and at least quarterly thereafter. It is a time consuming pain in the nether regions of the anatomy, but well worth the time and effort if it prevents data loss.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein