FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Disk Warrior 4.2 Question
#9161 04/02/10 11:17 PM
Misha Offline OP
OP Offline

I upgraded Disk Warrior to version 4.2 because of its 'Snow Leopard' compatibility but I can't start up from the DW disk. I've seen reports that the boot-up process is slow but still, after over half an hour it should start up. I've used this on an older iMac (same OS version) without problems, but it just won't work on this one. What gives? Does it take an hour to boot up from a CD/DVD?
(21" iMac, 1 TB HD, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.6.3).

Last edited by Misha; 04/02/10 11:20 PM.

Hodie mihi. Cras tibi.
Re: Disk Warrior 4.2 Question
Misha #9163 04/02/10 11:49 PM

I don't think there's a precise reference on Alsoft's website, but this quote (found at Disk Warrior/System Requirements) will give you an idea of what you may be up against:

Quote:
NOTE: The current DiskWarrior DVD cannot start up the new iMac Quad-Core. An updated disc that will also start up this recent Mac model will be released as soon as Apple, Inc. releases new startup files to Alsoft, Inc. and other developers.

To make a long story short, changing startup files have left some/many/all(?) DW discs unable to boot Macs that were produced after said discs (I believe this only applies to Intel Macs.), and Alsoft cannot offer upgrades to cover such instances, because Apple strictly prohibits d/l'ing those files.

Edit: If I'm on the mark, your two options are to buy a newer DW disc or run DW from a bootable volume (other than the one with the directory you want to rebuild, of course).

Last edited by artie505; 04/03/10 12:26 AM. Reason: Edit + Cleanup

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #9164 04/03/10 12:22 AM
Misha Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for your reply!
This is the 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo version of the iMac. Strangely enough I can boot up an older Core 2 Duo (2GHz) iMac running the same OS X version just fine. And -as far as I can see on the Alsoft web site, it appears that I just have to wait for Apple to release the new startup files to Alsoft.
I'm also wondering if DW 4.2 will be able to rebuild the directory and/or defrag?
Thanks again!

Hodie mihi. Cras tibi.
Misha #9166 04/03/10 12:53 AM

Please reread my post, Misha; I've edited it.

> Strangely enough I can boot up an older Core 2 Duo (2GHz) iMac running the same OS X version just fine. And -as far as I can see on the Alsoft web site, it appears that I just have to wait for Apple to release the new startup files to Alsoft.

The version of OS X you're running is of no consequence; the critical factor is that your older DW disc cannot boot your newer iMac. (When did you buy DW as compared to when you bought your Core 2 Duo?)

Note: The current DW disc will boot your new iMac, but you'll have to buy a new disc to turn the trick; it will be cheaper to buy a backup external HD and run DW from there. (The Alsoft note you mentioned applies only to the specific Mac mentioned therein.)

> I'm also wondering if DW 4.2 will be able to rebuild the directory and/or defrag?

DW does not defrag; it rebuilds directories (and does some other inconsequential stuff).

DW 4.2 will work with OS X 10.6.3 on your new iMac, though.

Hope this sets you straight. smile

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #9194 04/04/10 03:38 PM

Sorry but bootable CDs are a bad idea nowadays.

16gb usb flash drives are incredibly affordable if you want portability, and it'll fit in your pocket better than a CD. AND you can run software updates and install/update apps on it. AND it's a heck of a lot faster booting. AND you can save reports.

For the more functional approach you can get up to a 256gb usb flash drive. (expensive, $300+ I think, but I actually had one brought in a few weeks ago to put a big combo updater on for someone that lives in the boonies) Or a 500gb lacie rugged, highly recommended. That's what I use. It has 12 partitions, and more than half of them are bootable. 10.3.4/10.4.6/10.4.7(intel)/10.5.6/10.6.0 installers, 10.4.8/10.5.8/10.6.3 installed. If you have an ext HD you are using for time machine, not having it bootable is just plain silly.

Really, anyone still using CD/DVDs to boot from needs to get with the times.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #9245 04/06/10 06:10 AM

> Sorry but bootable CDs are a bad idea nowadays.

Hell... I didn't suggest that Misha buy a new disc...just set him straight about the need to wait for Alsoft's next release.

I did point him towards an external HD as a less expensive alternative to a new disc, but your point about a flash drive is a good one.

>16gb usb flash drives are incredibly affordable if you want portability....

All you need for Snow Leopard is 8Gb...even cheaper.

> AND you can save reports.

I haven't booted from a DW disc in more than 5 years, but my recollection is that I could save reports when I did so.

artie505 #9258 04/06/10 03:55 PM

<i>but my recollection is that I could save reports when I did so.</i>

as long as the internal hard drive is mounted and writable when DW is done. (which is not always the case)

Virtual1 #9319 04/08/10 07:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
<i>but my recollection is that I could save reports when I did so.</i>

as long as the internal hard drive is mounted and writable when DW is done. (which is not always the case)

Got it; thanks.

joemikeb #9934 05/16/10 04:50 AM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
The DVD version of DW uses a special version of OS X that suppresses the use of Virtual Memory at the expense of substantially slowing the execution of DW.

Thanks for that pearl! I've wondered why it is so sloooow. Is there a recommended way to install DW on a flash drive? How big does the flash drive need to be to provide for optimal operation?

Mac Pro dual Quad-Core Intel Xeons Early 2008; 16GB RAM; MacOS X 10.11.6, iOS 9.3.5
JoBoy #9937 05/16/10 06:11 PM
cyn Online
Administrator
Administrator

Virtual1 or anyone else who was following the recent posts in this thread, I moved them over to a new topic in the Mac OS X 10.6.x forum: Installing System on Flash Drives.

JoBoy, joemikeb's post that you responded to is part of the branch I moved, but since your question is about DiskWarrior it doesn't fit the other thread. Might even be better as a separate topic, but for now I've reattached it here.

FineTunedMac Forums Admin
cyn #9943 05/16/10 06:48 PM

Actually, my question straddles the line. I need both the complete system AND DW on a flash drive so I can boot from the flash drive instead of the DW's slow DVD. I'll follow both threads. Don't worry about another thread unless you feel the need. I'm cool with it either way. Thanks for the kind consideration. smile

Mac Pro dual Quad-Core Intel Xeons Early 2008; 16GB RAM; MacOS X 10.11.6, iOS 9.3.5
JoBoy #9990 05/18/10 06:17 PM

flash drive is obviously king for portability. It's limited by capacity, upper speeds particularly write, and is more prone to losing.

ext small hard drives are best if you need higher capacity for more tools etc.

I'd say carry both. I do. But my flash drive isn't bootable, but it contains what I need for tools and references.

If you need the flash drive to boot ppc and intels you will want to format it APS/HFS+ and install 10.5. Though I have heard DW has a few minor issues with checking a SL drive when booted from LE. If your flash drive was large enough you could install 10.5 and 10.6 I suppose on two partitions.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard