An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Vexing iPhone wifi connectivity problem...
#8551 02/23/10 02:08 AM
OP Offline

Hello all,

Been searching but haven't found this condition described elsewhere so I'm hoping the gurus at MacFix... um, I mean FineTunedMac, can point me in the right direction! :-)

Problem: iPhone 2G (hacked with PwnageTool to 3.1.2) can't negotiate WiFi connections.

Detail: Recently (can't recall what might have caused this) my iPhone stopped connecting to WiFi. I can see the networks listed, I can initiate a connection, the bars appear at the top of the screen but then disappear. Three times, then no further attempts to connect.

To diagnose I go into settings>wifi select the network to join, then click the arrow to see details of the wifi connection. I can see the DHCP info come up briefly (for a second or two) and then disappear. Three times. Then it stops trying.

To further diagnose I go into my Airport Express router's Advanced>logs and statistics>wireless clients window to see what the router sees. When I try to connect from the iPhone it pops up in this list as trying to negotiate at a rate of 54, then 12, then 1, then it disappears off the list.

Two other iPhones successfully connect to this home network (a 3G and a 2G).

The problem iPhone also fails to connect to my WiFi at work. So I know the problem is with the phone not the router.

These attempts to solve the problem have not worked:

1) forget this network then reconnect
2) reboot the router
3) renew DHCP in iphone>settings>wifi>networkname
4) reboot the iphone
5) iphone>settings>general>reset>reset network settings
6) restore the iphone (using the same custom ipsw created by PwnageTool)
7) tearing my hair out

Note the very same custom ipsw was used to restore the other iPhone 2G and that one works fine. Do I need to create different IPSWs for each phone?

Thanks for your advice! I know I came to the best... hope someone here has the time to lend a hand.

Ciao,
Joe

----
Basic Machead
Re: Vexing iPhone wifi connectivity problem...
joedornan #8560 02/23/10 02:44 PM
OP Offline

Quick update: I generated a new ipsw using the proper phone and PwnageTool 3.1.5 and after itunes restored the phone, the WiFi was working for a few minutes. But shortly thereafter the same problem reared its head and the phone can no longer connect. Bummer, that was my last idea! -Joe

----
Basic Machead
joedornan #8563 02/23/10 10:31 PM

I'd bet you are going to need to get on the pwnage forums for a solution here

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #8574 02/24/10 05:06 PM

Given your iPhone is hacked with PwnageTool to 3.1.2) V1 is probably right. Any time you use a hack you are pretty much completely dependent on the developer of the hack for any and all support.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #8576 02/24/10 08:07 PM
OP Offline

Thanks for chiming in guys. pwnagetool was always a candidate for the culprit, but we never determined it was at fault so I kept an open mind.

It turns out the problem is deeper. Something to do with heating up and battery temperature sensors...

http://www.hackint0sh.org/f127/62939.htm

Leaving my iphone in front of a window (open to the winter cold) for 30 minutes solved the problem!

Now I'm left wondering if there is anything I can/should do about it...

----
Basic Machead

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard