for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: OS 10.5.8
Gregg #573 08/08/09 05:47 AM

> Well, how old is your newest Mac? If you buy another, and snapback is still banished, will you downgrade the OS, or just Safari?

I'm teasing a little, of course, but it could become an issue for you.

My MacBook is only 5 months old, Gregg, so a new one is nowhere in the cards, and, under any circumstances, you're forgetting that a Mac *cannot* be downgraded from its "shipped-with" version of OS X.

As for downgrading Safari, I still have not determined whether that is possible without downgrading OS X at the same time, but this Apple Discussions thread suggests that it can be done. (I may experiment with my backup, but I'm not all that certain that I even need 10.5.8.)

Bottom line is that Apple will be supporting Leopard for a few more years, so I'll live behind the times (as I did until I skipped past Tiger and installed Leopard), if necessary, until I decide that I *must* catch up with the future.

Who knows... I may have to learn to live without SnapBack some day, but for the moment it is such an integral part of my browsing experience that I'm not about to give it up.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #665 08/08/09 11:24 PM

Snap-back, command-tab, tabs in the window label and then not, again! wink I guess we need to get used to change! laugh

Never used 'snap-back' so I don't miss it. Have always opened to links in a new tab, no matter what browser. Changes on those never touched me. However, I really, really liked having an extra line for information in every single web page, not just when one link occupied and entire window! I guess I'll have to get used to seeing the single-windowed page jump down a line when I open that first new tab... frown

I guess my point is, many of these things are simple Terminal commands for settings already in the app. Why does Apple insist on making them inaccessible to the "masses?!" I dunno.

I don't mind a few changes, but I like choices, even better! smile

As for reverting to Safari 3, I'd suggest a standard upgrade/update I use for almost every app, Apple or not. Before updating any app, I 'archive' it and as many of its prefs I can find. Then, if the update has bugs that I didn't wait long enough to find out about, it's a fairly simple matter to unarchive the previous version. After several weeks of using the new app, I'll delete the archive to save a little disk space...

Another advantage of this archive method is that sometimes it becomes very hard to find a previous version of some apps (Apple being one of the worst offenders). YMMV.

Last edited by xairbusdriver; 08/08/09 11:25 PM. Reason: bad keyboard speller

My current (02/03/10) rankings: Team Mac OS X: 81, Project: 4,454
Team MacOSX
xairbusdriver #673 08/09/09 12:21 AM

Quote:
I guess I'll have to get used to seeing the single-windowed page jump down a line when I open that first new tab...

I guess my point is, many of these things are simple Terminal commands for settings already in the app. Why does Apple insist on making them inaccessible to the "masses?!"

I'm not quite sure where you're coming down on the question of using Terminal to make adjustments that aren't available in the GUI. Are you saying you don't or won't use Terminal in these cases?

I only ask in case you're not aware that you can force the tab bar always to be present with the

defaults write com.apple.Safari AlwaysShowTabBar 1

command.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #689 08/09/09 03:17 AM

...or just go to the View menu and select Show Tab Bar (Shift-Command-T).

iMac 2.7 GHz Core i5, 12 GB RAM, OS X 10.9, Int SATA 1 TB, Ext Fire 2 TB / 1 TB / 1 TB / 500 GB / 300 GB
Former MacFixIt Forums member since 11/17/99
www.rhubarbproductions.com
xairbusdriver #697 08/09/09 05:31 AM

> I guess we need to get used to change!

While I've never been averse to change I've also never been an immediate "jumper into the pool."

What mystifies me about this instance of change, though, is *why* SnapBack has been removed; maybe it's a coding thing that's beyond my comprehension, but I don't see any way it was because of lack of interest...certainly not because of complaints!

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #1103 08/14/09 04:07 PM

I am going to express a sentiment here, admittedly off topic, but this thread seems to have a lot of you present:

Great to see you all! I thought MF Forums was lost forever (CNET forums just didn't cut it). A special thanks to Cyn who e-mailed me to ask where was I (Kauai was the answer).

I feel better connected again. cool

Thank you one and all.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #1104 08/14/09 04:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Ira L
I am going to express a sentiment here, admittedly off topic, but this thread seems to have a lot of you present:

Great to see you all! I thought MF Forums was lost forever (CNET forums just didn't cut it). A special thanks to Cyn who e-mailed me to ask where was I (Kauai was the answer).

I feel better connected again. cool

Thank you one and all.

welcome back, Ira!

MacBook 2.4 Ghz · 4 Gb ram · 10.7.5
stuff I'm interested in
iPhone 4s 7.0.2
Ira L #1140 08/15/09 09:45 AM

Nice to see you, again, Ira! (Your absence has been notableiced.)

Last edited by artie505; 08/15/09 01:06 PM. Reason: Better word

Ira L #1161 08/15/09 02:43 PM

Welcome home Ira

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard