FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Disheveled Desktop
#66008 04/14/24 11:56 AM
Gregg Offline OP
OP Offline

Suddenly my icon arrangement has changed, and I can't get it back to what I had. [Mac Mini, M1 2020, Sonoma 14.4.1]

1. The option to Sort by Snap to Grid is not showing up (it still shows for folders) and everything is over on the right side. I had some things on the left before. But there is not a discernible pattern to the arrangement. On the far right, there is a column of icons from top to bottom. Then there are three shorter columns to the left, with 4,5 and 3 icons respectively. Although sorted by Kind now, there are 5 kinds of items, 6 if you count the mysterious "enclosing document icons" (described below) as their own Kind.

2. I had temporarily placed three Word document icons on the Desktop. They are now embedded in a "Documents" DOCX icon and all three previously distinct documents will open in unison when that is double-clicked. I'm not sure how to get them separated. As I finish using each one, I want to delete them, but one at a time, not in unison. If I single-click on this icon, the three documents appear below the "enclosing document icon" and all four icons are highlighted. Thus, if I delete one, I delete them all.

3. Third verse, similar to the second: Same thing has happened with three pdf documents, with a twist. All four icons do not remain highlighted after a single-click. If I single-click on the PDF Documents icon again, the three pdf files disappear, but reappear when I single-click the "enclosing document icon" they come back.

4. As I've been messing around with this while composing my post, the behavior in item 2 has changed to what I described in item 3.

I'd like to separate the docx and pdf documents and get rid of their "enclosing documents icons" for good. And I'd like to Sort By Snap to Grid again. Help!

Re: Disheveled Desktop
Gregg #66013 04/15/24 09:14 PM
Gregg Offline OP
OP Offline

I figured the sorting/arrangement problem out. Changing Stack By to None made Snap to Grid show up as an option for Sort By. I don't know how it got messed up, because I did not change the View Options intentionally.

As far as the "enclosing document" icons (they were not folders) I just decided to move the actual .docx and .pdf files off of the Desktop. They are only temporary files, which made the Desktop a convenient place to put them, but I can live with them being in the real Documents Folder.

Last edited by Gregg; 04/15/24 09:15 PM.
Re: Disheveled Desktop
Gregg #66015 04/16/24 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Gregg
I don't know how it got messed up, because I did not change the View Options intentionally.
macOS has got a nasty habit doing stuff like that. I don't remember the details, but it did something similar to me recently, and something different to Ira.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard