An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OS Sonoma- Is 'Top Sites' function gone?
#65999 04/12/24 03:08 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

In looking for an issue this morning with one of my Top Sites, I accidentally deleted my all of them by using Debug to Reset Top Sites. Now I can't figure out how to restore them. I do have all the Favourites but it was nice to have the 5 or 6 most used sites handy.

Has Sonoma eliminated the Top Sites feature?

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Re: OS Sonoma- Is 'Top Sites' function gone?
ryck #66000 04/12/24 05:16 PM

I have not personally tried this, but here is what the Internet Collective says:

Follow these instructions to add a Top Site:
1.Right-click on each link below (or press Command while selecting the link).
2.Select Add link to Bookmarks... .
3.Under "Add this page to:" select the arrow for the drop-down menu.
4.Select Top Sites.
5.Select the Add button.

If step #4 is no longer present, then check back for further advice. crazy

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
ryck #66001 04/12/24 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by ryck
In looking for an issue this morning with one of my Top Sites, I accidentally deleted my all of them by using Debug to Reset Top Sites. Now I can't figure out how to restore them. I do have all the Favourites but it was nice to have the 5 or 6 most used sites handy.

Has Sonoma eliminated the Top Sites feature?
In Sonoma, you can drag and drop a url from Safari's address bar and drop it on a tab group, bookmarks, reading list, or iCloud tabs in the sidebar, or the start page, and even the Dock (where it becomes a stand-alone app).

NOTE: As this thread specifically addresses Safari, I am moving it to the Networking forum as the more appropriate context.

Last edited by joemikeb; 04/12/24 06:52 PM. Reason: Moving notice

"All you've got to do is own up to your ignorance
honestly, and you'll find people who are eager to
fill your head with information"
--Walt Disney
joemikeb #66003 04/12/24 08:32 PM

A search for "Top Site" in Sonoma Safari Help yields...

Originally Posted by Safari Help in Sonoma
Pin frequently visited websites in Safari on Mac

You can pin any website you visit frequently. Pinned sites stay put on the left side of your tab bar, and at the top of Tab Groups in the sidebar, so you can easily get to them at any time. Each Tab Group can have its own pinned websites.

Pin a website
  1. In the Safari app on your Mac, drag the tab with the website you want to pin to the left side of the tab bar.
  2. When the tab shrinks and displays the website’s icon, or the pin appears, drop the tab in place.

You can also Control-click a tab, then choose Pin Tab.

Rearrange pinned sites
  • In the Safari app on your Mac, drag a pinned site before or after another pinned site in the tab bar or the sidebar.

Unpin a website
  • In the Safari app on your Mac, drag the pinned tab to the right side of the tab bar.

You can also Control-click a pinned site, then choose Unpin Tab.

Duplicate a pinned site
  • In the Safari app on your Mac, Control-click a pin, then choose Duplicate Tab.

The pinned site opens in a separate tab.

Close a pinned tab
  • In the Safari app on your Mac, Control-click a pin, then choose Close Tab.

• Pinned sites stay in place, even when you open a new Safari window or quit and reopen Safari.

When you click a link to another website from a pinned site, the other website opens in a new tab. Your pinned site always shows the website you pinned.

• Last edited by joemikeb; 04/12/24 08:33 PM.

--Walt Disney
    joemikeb #66004 04/13/24 08:06 PM
    ryck Offline OP
    OP Offline

Originally Posted by Ira L
    Follow these instructions to add a Top Site:
    1.Right-click on each link below (or press Command while selecting the link).
    2.Select Add link to Bookmarks... .
    3.Under "Add this page to:" select the arrow for the drop-down menu.
    4.Select Top Sites.
    5.Select the Add button.

If step #4 is no longer present, then check back for further advice. crazy
    Step #4 is not offered.

Originally Posted by joemikeb
    In Sonoma, you can drag and drop a url from Safari's address bar and drop it on a tab group, bookmarks, reading list, or iCloud tabs in the sidebar, or the start page, and even the Dock (where it becomes a stand-alone app).
    Originally Posted by joemikeb
    A search for "Top Site" in Sonoma Safari Help yields...

Originally Posted by Safari Help in Sonoma
    Pin frequently visited websites in Safari on Mac

You can pin any website you visit frequently. Pinned sites stay put on the left side of your tab bar, and at the top of Tab Groups in the sidebar, so you can easily get to them at any time. Each Tab Group can have its own pinned websites.
    But, nowhere in there, is the ability to have the much more convenient “Frequently Visited” sites on the Safari Home page.

I did a bit of poking around and found that, on the Safari Home Page, there is an icon (lower left) that looks like three lines with circles. Clicking on it brings up a dialogue box with this list:

Shared with you
    Favorites
    Frequently visited
    Privacy Report
    Siri Suggestions
    Reading List
    Recently Closed Tabs
    Background Image

Only three have functional check boxes (Favorites, Frequently Visited, Background Image) and, if you toggle Frequently Visited on and off, a space appears on the Home Page with this meaage:

“Frequently Visited Websites will appear here when available. This section may be hidden if there is no content to display.”

However, I can’t find any way to assign a site to the space or to set a criterion for automatic inclusion. e.g. Sites visited daily. My layperson’s guess is that, in writing Sonoma, the programmers broke the function and have yet to fix it.

Last edited by ryck; 04/13/24 08:07 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
    OS Sonoma 14.4.1
    Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
    Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
    TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
    ryck #66005 04/13/24 09:54 PM

In Safari 17.5 (macOS 14.5 beta) The settings menu checkboxes are fully populated and look like this. I suspect that between Start page's Frequently visited and Safari Applications in the Dock, Top Sites were considered redundant and fell by the wayside. The only thing I can find about Frequently visited settings is this, but it would be nice if there were some way of defining what the user considers Frequently visited.

--Walt Disney

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard