Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: I pod touch for Audible?
joemikeb #65603 01/20/24 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by joemikeb
Originally Posted by artie505
When I launch Find My, it tells me that my MBP and iPhone are located somewhere in my 54 unit building, and beyond that it's useless, because nobody's about to be knocking on 50 some odd doors asking people if they're the thief.

Why knock on the doors? It may take a few minutes to narrow the location down, but Find My can generally get the location down to within a 30 to 60 foot radius (even if the location is in a car traveling 70 mph) then go to the general area, tell Find My to "Play Sound" and listen at the doors for the "Chime".
Thanks for the explanation.

It's not a panacea, but it does narrow down the possibilities.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
joemikeb #65606 01/22/24 12:54 AM
kevs Online OP
OP Online

Joe, verdict in: Inernet/ you tube controls, way to complicated, Audible way easier.

So your vote, just add back audible on my account, again, think I had it via Amazon, and do the family share? Then I think I can (once on Audible even through amazon.. oh sorry, NO, I'll have do full Apple ID transfer which I passed on, how one do that in retro if not done....Can one have mom turn on the ipad just fingerprints,

(if so how delete password option, which I set to very easy 6 digits., and set the ipad to go off very fast if not used)..

that's sounds like a good security game plan? being I wont be at the house.... and how (sure I have it it deep notes somewhere), set turn off quickly... what 10 seconds...

Facial recognition, I've never even tried, is that even easier than fingerprints?

If someone steals while it's on -- worst case- then toast right as all my stiff, contacts, apple ID, apple store, Amazon etc etc would be vulnerable?

kevs #65607 01/22/24 01:52 AM
kevs Online OP
OP Online

PS, and maybe on transfer I don't even have to trasnfer of contact or other sensitive stuff to begin with?

kevs #65608 01/22/24 02:39 AM
kevs Online OP
OP Online

Final PS and you can do Audible through Amazon or? direct? and not sure pro/ cons of either...

kevs #65610 01/22/24 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by kevs
If someone steals while it's on -- worst case- then toast right as all my stiff, contacts, apple ID, apple store, Amazon etc etc would be vulnerable?

I thought using Apple's Family Sharing eliminated this concern?

Facial recognition, in my opinion, is easier and more reliable than fingerprint once it is setup. And setting it up consists of staring into the iPad camera in a way that is directed on screen. Not hard at all.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #65612 01/22/24 06:41 PM
kevs Online OP
OP Online

thanks Ira, ok will try facial with Mom next time there in week, never tried it so we'll see.

I have no idea on Family, lets see Joe dive in.. my worry is if the thing gets snatched while it on, and my stuff , info, contact, amazon, apple ID are vulvernable... worst case

kevs #65613 01/22/24 07:12 PM

Joe, verdict in: Inernet/ you tube controls, way to complicated, Audible way easier.

So your vote, just add back audible on my account, again, think I had it via Amazon, and do the family share? Then I think I can (once on Audible even through amazon.. oh sorry, NO, I'll have do full Apple ID transfer which I passed on, how one do that in retro if not done....Can one have mom turn on the ipad just fingerprints.

FORGET AMAZON, your mother doesn't need it to use Audible.. Give her a gift subscription to Audible and you can charge that to your credit card without her having the credit card or any record of the card on her iPad.

Your mother will need an Apple ID and password associated with her iPad in order to install any app including Audible. If you set her up with a family account, she will not have access to any of your data and you will not have access to any of her data. It is the most secure option.

(if so how delete password option, which I set to very easy 6 digits., and set the ipad to go off very fast if not used).

that's sounds like a good security game plan? being I wont be at the house.... and how (sure I have it it deep notes somewhere),

NEVER DELETE THE PASSCODE
  1. The system will not permit it.
  2. It will be required every time the iPad restarts.
  3. You must have one to set up either fingerprint or facial recognition.
  4. If the iPad ever sleeps or restarts, the passcode will be required to re-activate fingerprint or facial recognition.
  5. If you lose the passcode, it will have to be reset in order to use the iPad and that is a major PITA.

Originally Posted by keys
set turn off quickly... what 10 seconds...

Do you honestly think your mother would want to listen to a book in ten second segments???

Facial recognition, I've never even tried, is that even easier than fingerprints?

The passcode activates fingerprint and/or facial recognition and requires remembering a six digit number, fingerprint identification requires placing your finger in a specific spot, facial identification requires your looking at the screen. Which of those do you think is easiest? Whether you can use fingerprint or facial recognition depends on the particular iPad model. Facial recognition is, by far, the most secure.

NOT IF YOU SET HER UP WITH HER OWN FAMILY MEMBER ACCOUNT. To re-iterate "If you set her up with a family account she will not have access to any of your data, and you will not have access to any of her data. It is the most secure option." If you are really up-tight about your credit card, get a pre-paid debit card, and use that. Even your credit card losses are limited by federal law to a maximum of $50

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #65617 01/23/24 07:18 AM
kevs Online OP
OP Online

Ok Joe geting the gist, family account, then no one can get into contacts apple ID.

For the 6 digit.. I just made something simple for an 89 years old like 3,3, 3, 3,3,3 but would you change that? Is it too easy to crack by a potential theif? If one has to have a 6 digit, then whats the point of facial or thumb? the 6 digit then would be the one the criminal would try to hack, if the theif had a stolen ipad at his house and all time in world to try to hack into it no? Maybe i"m missing something. You can use thumb or factial, but forced also to have a 6 digit which is 100 times easier for a hacker to work with at the hackers house? Lost on that.

Its the small ipad.. you would go with facial or thumb for an old person?

For Apple ID, you are saying don't do a transfer from my account then the family thing? Or don't do the tranfer Sorry it's confusing. Isn't the family thing based on my apple ID in there or? I'm assuming you take the ipad, do the "transfer', which I already passed on doing and have figure out how to do again, then in the pad with an Apple ID, then set up this family thing.
OR, saying make a new apple ID from scratch? sorry again, confusing.

And then... why not audible via Amazon, so easy, (if I do the tranfer to me, I'm already with Amazon) or some benefit, just going to the Audible app and setting a brand new thing with Mom, that's sound fine I guess too. thanks Joe.

Everything is cool, I have single malt in hand, going good.

kevs #65619 01/23/24 05:45 PM

Ok Joe geting the gist, family account, then no one can get into contacts apple ID.

For the 6 digit.. I just made something simple for an 89 years old like 3,3, 3, 3,3,3 but would you change that? Is it too easy to crack by a potential theif? If one has to have a 6 digit, then whats the point of facial or thumb? the 6 digit then would be the one the criminal would try to hack, if the theif had a stolen ipad at his house and all time in world to try to hack into it no? Maybe i"m missing something. You can use thumb or factial, but forced also to have a 6 digit which is 100 times easier for a hacker to work with at the hackers house? Lost on that.

There are millions of six digit combinations, but the hacker only gets three bites at the apple before the iPad locks up and optionally erases everything stored on it. Even the Federal Bureau of Investigation could not hack into an iPhone that was using a four digit passcode. That is why Apple doesn't bother to report or prosecute devices stolen from their stores, and thieves have learned that the only use for a stolen iPhone or iPad is as a paperweight.

Its the small ipad.. you would go with facial or thumb for an old person?

Over the last fourteen years, Apple has made a number of "small" iPads. Some of which did not support either fingerprint or facial identification. On the iPad, go to Settings > General > About and find the model identification. From that we can determine what it will support. An iPad or iPhone always accepts a passcode and some models will also accept either fingerprint or facial recognition but not both. If available, I would go with facial recognition, but that is just my opinion and there are others that prefer fingerprint ID.

For Apple ID, you are saying don't do a transfer from my account then the family thing? Or don't do the tranfer Sorry it's confusing. Isn't the family thing based on my apple ID in there or? I'm assuming you take the ipad, do the "transfer', which I already passed on doing and have figure out how to do again, then in the pad with an Apple ID, then set up this family thing.
OR, saying make a new apple ID from scratch? sorry again, confusing.

The "child" account is set up as a new, from scratch" Apple ID. Then the parent permits the child to access some of the parent's resources such as approving the purchase of apps from the app store, apple cash, Apple Card, subscriptions, and location. In addition, the child also shares the parent's iCloud storage allocation but neither account can see nor access the other account's files. When you are ready I can give you step-by-step instructions.

And then... why not audible via Amazon, so easy, (if I do the tranfer to me, I'm already with Amazon) or some benefit, just going to the Audible app and setting a brand new thing with Mom, that's sound fine I guess too. thanks Joe.

Once you put Amazon into the picture you are giving up some of the privacy and protection you value. By going with the Audible app and the monthly subscription, you are eliminating one more vulnerability.

Everything is cool, I have single malt in hand, going good.

Remember that Apple has invested their entire company in securing your online privacy, to the point of annoying the h3!! out of law enforcement agencies and governments. So you can sit back, enjoy the single malt, and rest assured that no matter how you set up your mother's iPad, the greatest security risk you will face is your own culpability.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #65622 01/23/24 08:50 PM
kevs Online OP
OP Online

Joe thanks, hold on... grabbing another single maybe double malt today

ha ha

great post/ answer:

4 digit 6.. then why do I do these 8 digits with upper / lower case and icon and say strong pass..? for so many things, it's overkill?
But for the mom, is the just 333333 ok or make it better / recommendations.

Says ipad 9th generation.. so it supports?

Family before you explain more.... I would go back and do a "transfer" of my apple ID and then dive into family or.. ?

Or other option could be to make a new basic apple ID with a gmail.....

and put auto lock on it for minimum 30 seconds.. I got other stuff, do Audible app direct, fine.

kevs #65623 01/23/24 10:41 PM

Joe thanks, hold on... grabbing another single maybe double malt today

ha ha

great post/ answer:

4 digit 6.. then why do I do these 8 digits with upper / lower case and icon and say strong pass..? for so many things, it's overkill?

Those things/sites, etc. need all the dressing of the passwords because they do not control the hardware and while they may be able to enforce a pause before allowing further attempts, they are not about to delete a customer's records from their site. Otherwise, a spammer could easily wipe out their entire customer database. Those complex passwords are not overkill, they are often not enough, which is the reason for the growth of two-factor-authentication (2FA). Try to change something relating to your Apple ID and you will find 2FA is required in addition to your passcode.

But for the mom, is the just 333333 ok or make it better / recommendations.

Anyone observing your Mom typing in 333333 could quickly discern it is one number and likely 111111, 222222, or 333333, therefore very insecure. On the other hand, it would be easy for your mother to remember, so it is a trade-off. However, if you have followed all my suggestions, the only thing of real value would be the iPad itself. If you want a modicum of security, something like 135790 would be slightly more secure. A date that your mother would reliably remember, but a stranger would be unlikely to know, such as your grandmother's birthday would be a good compromise.

If you know the passcode, it is easy to change, so feel free to experiment with different alternatives.

Says ipad 9th generation.. so it supports?

Touch (fingerprint) ID on the Home Button.

Family before you explain more.... I would go back and obsrvingdo a "transfer" of my apple ID and then dive into family or.. ?

Or other option could be to make a new basic apple ID with a gmail.....
and put auto lock on it for minimum 30 seconds.. I got other stuff, do Audible app direct, fine.

What I am proposing would require no transfer of anything from your computer to your mom's iPad and your mother will get a FREE Apple Email account as part of the Apple ID so GMail is not needed. Her email address will be her Apple ID. Given there is no sensitive data on your Mom's iPad I would suggest setting autolock at something reasonable like 5 minutes (the minimum is 30 seconds).

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #65625 01/24/24 07:38 PM
kevs Online OP
OP Online

Joe, thanks so maybe a birthday like 041533

Ok so no facial recognition. BTW have not even done fingerprint, who knows if a 90 year old with like that.

She has no email, never done an email or anything on any computer or device once .

So with that.... again still confused, transfer or no transfer, and the fact she has no email... effects this family thing.?.. The family thing mean I transfer and it's essentially my ipad which is fine and then I do this family ..

No more malts going to beer.

kevs #65626 01/24/24 08:29 PM

Joe, thanks so maybe a birthday like 041533

Ok so no facial recognition. BTW have not even done fingerprint, who knows if a 90 year old with like that.

Only one way to find out, try it and see if she likes it. The passcode will always work, it is just not a convenient

She has no email, never done an email or anything on any computer or device once.

You will need an email address to get an Apple ID.

So with that.... again still confused, transfer or no transfer, and the fact she has no email... effects this family thing.?.. The family thing mean I transfer and it's essentially my ipad which is fine and then I do this family ..

No more malts going to beer.

I AM CONFUSED confused First you express concerned for the security of your personal information, so I suggest a simple solution that provides complete protection and costs you nothing to implement. Now you appear to want her iPad to have complete access to all of your personal data, credit cards, etc]/i]. Your information and its security is inextricably linked to your Apple ID so if you give your mother an IPad that is linked to your Apple ID you are giving her full access to all of your data, credit cards, addresses, contacts, etc. Any given Apple device can only be linked to one Apple ID, at a time. You cannot have it both ways.

Twenty years ago, I would have suggested getting your mother a portable tape player, ten years ago a CD player, but the internet and digital downloads have pretty well dried up both of those sources of content. You know your mother, and I don't, but as a lecturer in a community college and a university, I often found the biggest barrier to older women's ability to use a computer and computer devices was getting past being told by their husband, father, or some other significant male that "[i]women can't understand
" computers. Once I convinced them that was a pile of elephant dung, they proved to be excellent students. Your Mom may surprise you.

Last edited by joemikeb; 01/24/24 09:28 PM.

— Albert Einstein
kevs #65635 01/25/24 05:47 PM

This is going in circles, folks. I understand the confusion (sort of :)), but one way to clarify all of this is to just DO IT. Set up the iPad with Family Sharing, doing whatever that requires. During or at the end of the process you can decide if you are comfortable with the shared information (which as I understand it, will be close to nothing) and if you are not, delete the shared account, reset/erase the iPad and start over in some other way. But until you do it you won't know.

I personally don't think the Family Sharing account will be a problem, given what I have read in the link I provided way above, but it will be your call.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
1 member likes this: artie505
Ira L #65638 01/25/24 07:35 PM
kevs Online OP
OP Online

Thanks Ira, nature of talking through computer (email/ text or forums)
If you or Joe was on the phone or in room -- all be clear.

Final bit, this family sharing, which don't understand, does it start with me transferring the ipad (with my stuff and Apple ID that I've had 10 years and add that to my other 5 devices) or? ANd then I "family share"

or would you Ira, just create a new apple ID, maybe put moms name, I think need a new unique mail right. And enter card number.

kevs #65644 01/25/24 11:51 PM

Final bit, this family sharing, which don't understand, does it start with me transferring the ipad (with my stuff and Apple ID that I've had 10 years and add that to my other 5 devices) or? ANd then I "family share"

or would you Ira, just create a new apple ID, maybe put moms name, I think need a new unique mail right. And enter card number.

Are you giving your mother an iPad you have been using or a newly acquired iPad? In either case, for security of your data, her iPad will start by being erased to factory clean condition, and YOU WILL NEVER TRANSFER ANYTHING FROM YOUR IPAD TO HERS.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #65645 01/26/24 12:32 AM
kevs Online OP
OP Online

Still not there on double malt

New ipad, brand new bought just for this one narrow purpose to read a book out loud:.

I have 4 devices on my apple ID currently including an i pad pro.

so choose either the Family idea, assuming, (am I wrong? , is I transfer all my data as my 2nd ipad.... and then, I "allow" others through family thing/ program--- and through the amazing Family thing, no one could ever get into my data

OR

choose to Just create a new apple ID with moms name -- don't do the tranfer and family program...

or maybe still wrong.

kevs #65646 01/26/24 05:31 PM

so choose either the Family idea, assuming, (am I wrong? , is I transfer all my data as my 2nd ipad.... and then, I "allow" others through family thing/ program--- and through the amazing Family thing, no one could ever get into my data

OR

choose to Just create a new apple ID with moms name -- don't do the tranfer and family program...

or maybe still wrong.

Step-by-step

COLOR CODE
Red: steps performed on your Apple device
Blue: steps performed on your mother's iPad
Green: steps performed off line

1. Be sure the iPad is fully charged
  2. Power the iPad on
  3. If you are not presented with the setup screen and prompts go to Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPad > Erase All Content and Settings and follow the instructions.
  4. You may be presented with the option to update the iPad to the latest compatible version of iPadOS. That is strongly recommended.
  5. When you are presented with the setup screen, follow the on-screen instructions
  6. When prompted for your Apple ID, tap "Forgot password or don't have an Apple ID".
  7. Tap "Create a free Apple ID"
  8. Select your mother's birthday and enter her name
  9. Tap "Get a free iCloud email address".
  10. Follow the on-screen steps to verify her email address, create a strong password, set your device region, and set up two-factor authentication. If you choose to skip this step, She will be prompted to do this later in Settings.
  11. Make a careful note of her Apple ID and Password. The Apple ID is also her email address
  12. In Safari, or the browser of your choice go to https://www.audible.com/ and click Sign Up at the top of the screen.
  13. Click "Create your Amazon account." (I was wrong about the Amazon connection, I created my Audible account before they were purchased by Amazon.) blush
  14. Sign up for the $15 a month deal using your credit card and your mother's name and Apple ID/email address
  15. make a careful note of your mother's Amazon/Audible ID and password
  16. Go to System Settings > Apple ID > Family Sharing and click on "Add Member"
  17. Using your mother's Apple ID/email address, invite her to become a member of your family.
  18. Specify anything else you would want to share with your mother's account
  19. Open Mail and accept the family invitation
  20. Open App Store and install the Audible app
  21. Open the Audible app and login using your mother's Audible account.
  22. Show her how to use the app.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #65647 01/26/24 05:47 PM
kevs Online OP
OP Online

Joe, thanks hold on, getting a double malt.

No that was great post.

method 1 what you just wrote.....That is the flow chart of just creating everything by scratch, fine. But then, no point for the family thing right? Everything is done organailly by scratch on the new mom ipad. signing up apple, amazon, entering credit card.... even an icloud, which I will have to check periodically on that ipad I guess...

method 2 All that said, would this all be "easier" -- devils advocate, for everything to originate on my computer at home, with my apple ID, I even had a current Audible subscription going, ( I see subscription now Audible, on my iphone at least, ,not sure on imac), and then set up this family thing on my end with moms new ipad?
And what you have been implying, (if do method 2), is that I can choose to share to the new mom ipad only Audible, and if stolen don't worry nothing else would be there, ie contacts.. only sharing audible.. (and as you pointed out, the thief, would probably never get in anyways)... or is method 2 just as complicated. 1 or 2?

kevs #65648 01/26/24 05:53 PM

It depends on your tolerance of risk. Method 1 is a few minutes longer to set up, Method 2 exposes you to far more risk.

— Albert Einstein
kevs #65649 01/26/24 06:15 PM

Joe, thanks hold on, getting a double malt.

No that was great post.

method 1 what you just wrote.....That is the flow chart of just creating everything by scratch, fine. But then, no point for the family thing right? Everything is done organailly by scratch on the new mom ipad. signing up apple, amazon, entering credit card.... even an icloud, which I will have to check periodically on that ipad I guess...

method 2 All that said, would this all be "easier" -- devils advocate, for everything to originate on my computer at home, with my apple ID, I even had a current Audible subscription going, ( I see subscription now Audible, on my iphone at least, ,not sure on imac), and then set up this family thing on my end with moms new ipad?
And what you have been implying, (if do method 2), is that I can choose to share to the new mom ipad only Audible, and if stolen don't worry nothing else would be there, ie contacts.. only sharing audible.. (and as you pointed out, the thief, would probably never get in anyways)... or is method 2 just as complicated. 1 or 2?

That was a very good, clear and colorful post by joemikeb. But I think your mixing your methods. The recommended approach by joemikeb above in color (and me as well, but only in black and white grin) does not have everything done by scratch on Mom's iPad. Setting up the paid Audible account and credit card info are done on your Apple device. The iPad only sets up her Apple ID and email account.

Start by following his clear steps above and see if you are uncomfortable with anything. If so, share your concerns at that point.

On a Mac since 1984.
Ira L #65650 01/26/24 08:08 PM
kevs Online OP
OP Online

WHEW, thanks Ira! I just read quickly, sorry Joe, and did not really pay attention to color coding and chart thing top.. OK so the core stuff is on my end, ok will slowly, with triple malt, get this going.. report back...

Previous malt maybe made me discombobulate, so thanks Ira pointing that out.. missed it!

kevs #65693 02/07/24 03:07 AM
kevs Online OP
OP Online

Joe , sorry for the delay.

Ok I'm at step # 12 on your great color coded workflow. I did everything up to step #11.

Question:

It says in #12 to create your amazon account. I assume you think, (correctly), am I wrong, thst I already have an Amazon account, which I do for 20 years.

But you suggest I create a new Amazon account for Mom, -- or should I just use my pre-existing Amazon account for this?

If you suggest create a new Amazon account for Mom, then couldn't that just be done on her new ipad / Safari there?

i.e everything could be done organically from step #11 to completion, on the new ipad without doing the family sharing -- creating this new Amazon account there.

Or maybe there is some advantage, maybe you meant to use my pre-existing Amazon account with my name and ID, I don't understand about going to my computer and then doing family sharing.

Bit confused : A - maybe just keep it all on the new ipad, with a brand new Amazon account and moms apple ID, no need to bring my computer into the mix?

OR B then use existing Amazin I have for 20 years, with family sharing,

or C and this is most confusing, which is I think your workflow -------use a new Amazon account with Mom new Apple ID from my computer -- so now there are 2 Amazon accounts ( I have to assume again you assume I already have an Amqzon account ---on my computer instead of 1...... and family sharing -- final one C is what I think suggesting, but maybe that most complicated. Sorry all done, and getting triple malt. ha ha
Or maybe you assumed I don't have an Amazon account on my computer, but I do already thanks!

kevs #65695 02/07/24 05:19 PM

The idea of creating the separate account for your mother was to minimize any possible risk to you in the event her iPad is stolen. It really doesn't matter which device the account is created on.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #65698 02/07/24 08:02 PM
kevs Online OP
OP Online

Thanks, Joe

Apple or Amazon?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard