FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Read My Mind?
#65557 01/11/24 06:57 PM
Ira L Offline OP
OP Offline

How about a device (hand-held) that is a new type of foundation model that understands human intentions on computers. Check out Rabbit Technology's r1.

Scroll down through the web page link to see more. Also click on the Rabbit OS tab to see more.

Will they have to take my iPhone/mouse/Mac from my dead clutching hand?? wink

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Re: Read My Mind?
Ira L #65558 01/11/24 09:37 PM

I'm immediately put off by the totally unreadable small print on your linked page, but I'll do a bit more reading, although as a person who won't even turn Siri on, I doubt that the r1 will appeal to me on any level.

(To be honest, though, I recently got a new iPhone SE, and the idea of turning Siri on exclusively for Google searches is starting to appeal to me. Typing on the phone is just too cumbersome.)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Ira L #65559 01/11/24 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Ira L
Will they have to take my iPhone/mouse/Mac from my dead clutching hand?? wink
They may have turn your Neuralink off first. shocked crazy

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #65562 01/12/24 06:16 PM
Ira L Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted by artie505
I'm immediately put off by the totally unreadable small print on your linked page, but I'll do a bit more reading…

Hmm, while I have not looked at every page on the linked site, I'm not seeing any unreadable small print. I see something like this screen shot.
(image size is same as the size in the browser)

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #65563 01/12/24 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Ira L
...I'm not seeing any unreadable small print.
I was talking about this on your linked page, which requires OCR to read.

artie505 #65566 01/13/24 12:24 AM

Double-click on the image to magnify it and it becomes readable -- barely. The major problem is the choice of colors. Dark text on dark background may be readable, but only if the color calibration, brightness, and contrast of the viewer's monitor is just so. They need someone with a graphics background to work on the color theme.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #65567 01/13/24 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by joemikeb
Double-click on the image to magnify it and it becomes readable -- barely. The major problem is the choice of colors. Dark text on dark background may be readable, but only if the color calibration, brightness, and contrast of the viewer's monitor is just so. They need someone with a graphics background to work on the color theme.
Double-clicking doesn't magnify it for me, but it becomes legible if I select the entire text with my cursor.

As I said, though, OCR works a treat.

Rather than "need[ing] someone with a graphics background to work on the color theme," they may need someone with an ethics background to work on why the text was apparently deliberately made illegible in the first place.

artie505 #65570 01/13/24 05:57 PM

Rather than "need[ing] someone with a graphics background to work on the color theme," they may need someone with an ethics background to work on why the text was apparently deliberately made illegible in the first place.

I had the same thought.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #65572 01/16/24 10:05 AM

At any rate, I allowed my curiosity to get the better of me, and I watched the entire 25 minute video (much of which I either didn't understand or couldn't follow)...

• The a1 is 4G/Unlocked and presumably requires a HUGE data plan. (At today's date, I'd think that it would be 5G already.)
• The a1 presumably can function as a phone, although after making a big deal of the inadequacy of smart phones, the narrator neither demonstrates nor even mentions the functionality.
• My impression is that you need to store your data in their cloud, which doesn't particularly excite me.
• A couple of times during the presentation, the narrator goes to his Mac to do stuff that requires a display, which, I guess, is accomplished via Wi-Fi.
• I wonder if it's possible to have the a1 fully interact with your computer?
• Lack of its own display makes the a1 reliant on AI to more of a degree than I'm ready to accept...
   For instance, the narrator makes a big deal of the a1 searching for and booking flights, and planning activities during the trip, without the user having either any idea of the resources it consulted or the ability to navigate
   alternatives.

The a1 seems to me to be much more of a very early prototype of a device that I might want than one that I'd want as is...a come-on to raise capital.

I wonder if its allure is captivating enough to induce our resident cutting edge toy enthusiast, to jump on board?

artie505 #65574 01/16/24 08:27 PM

I wonder if its allure is captivating enough to induce our resident cutting edge toy enthusiast, to jump on board?

If you mean me, the answer is a definite NO. I don't need or want another $200 gadget between me and my computing device. I don't see it providing anything that could not be accomplished on any of my Apple devices with the appropriate software. If I read the runes correctly, that is essentially what The Browser Company will be announcing at the end of this month as the future of Arc.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #65575 01/17/24 09:48 AM

If you mean me, the answer is a definite NO.
None other than! grin

I don't need or want another $200 gadget between me and my computing device. I don't see it providing anything that could not be accomplished on any of my Apple devices with the appropriate software. If I read the runes correctly, that is essentially what The Browser Company will be announcing at the end of this month as the future of Arc.
Their selling point is more or less that the a1 is a single "tab" within which we can accomplish what requires multiple tabs to accomplish using traditional means.

I'm for sure anxiously awaiting your report on what Arc may have in mind... Inter-tab interaction?

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard