Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
MS Word - Automatic Template
#64988 11/15/23 08:59 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

RE MS Word 2011:

For some reason I can no longer automatically change font size in my document templates (so that each subsequent new document opens with such format).
When closing a document, if the font size has been changed and I wish to retain such, I would normally select such, either through a pop-up window or by deleting all other options under My Templates. A couple weeks ago that stopped happening, and no matter what I try I cannot remedy the situation (short of creating a blank document with the requisite specs and putting it on the desktop — which is a waste of space, as well as annoying.) Whatever I might have done to cause the problem is lost to the vicissitudes of cerebral decrepitude.
I've run all manner of hardware and software troubleshooting apps — to no avail.

Short of my reinstalling the application (+ numerous updates) from scratch, I thought I'd put the quandary out there for assembled FTMers to toss around.

confused

Re: MS Word - Automatic Template
grelber #64989 11/15/23 09:15 PM

As for reinstalling, I'll guess that all your years of updates will be boiled down to just one.

And as for your problem, chances are that it's got nothing to do with the app itself, but results from a corrupted pref file.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #64993 11/16/23 08:57 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

I checked out the latter possibility by rebuilding the preference file — no dice.

grelber #64994 11/16/23 10:15 AM

I use only Excel from the Office suite, and I hold my breath and cringe every time I launch it.

A while ago, it slowed down to a crawl, and I went through conniptions before I managed to get it working correctly.

Good luck!

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #64995 11/16/23 10:39 AM

I don't know if his will be at all helpful, but in my case, I wound up copying the data in my spreadsheets, trashing the spreadsheets themselves, opening up new spreadsheets, pasting the data I had copied, and then completely recreating the original formats...in other words, starting from scratch.

grelber #64997 11/16/23 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by grelber
I checked out the latter possibility by rebuilding the preference file — no dice.

Unless you first deleted the preference file, the corruption may still be there.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #64998 11/16/23 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by joemikeb

Unless you first deleted the preference file, the corruption may still be there.
Hmmm... Under the current "rules," wouldn't he need to restart after deleting that pref?

artie505 #64999 11/16/23 08:52 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

I re-updated the final update for Microsoft Word (which supposedly overwrote everything involving the app).
No magic. Default format template still comes up with the "wrong" font size — even when the only templates (ostensibly available) have the correct font size.
So there is something way down deep which has killed the keep font size from each application use for next time use.

[The problem is way more frustrating than having to uncheck "Add this thread to my Followed Threads" + "Add Signature" under Post Options each and every time I want to post to the Forum. And there's no apparent way of fixing that either.]

grelber #65001 11/17/23 07:20 AM

Default format template still comes up with the "wrong" font size....
Have you tried trashing and recreating your default format template?

[The problem is way more frustrating than having to uncheck "Add this thread to my Followed Threads" + "Add Signature" under Post Options each and every time I want to post to the Forum. And there's no apparent way of fixing that either.]
I find having to uncheck "Add this...." every time I post totally annoying. I've never understood why it's default.

But as for "Add Sig," have you got a sig? I don't remember ever seeing one. So you're saying that the box is checked by default even if you haven't got a sig in your profile?

artie505 #65002 11/17/23 07:30 AM

Wow! I just deleted my sig from my profile, and the box was still checked. That's a bug which I'll report.

If, in fact, you haven't got a sig in your profile, why don't you just leave the box checked? It would seem to be meaningless.

artie505 #65007 11/17/23 07:05 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

I repeatedly trashed and recreated my default template — to absolutely no avail.

And I've generally disabled my signature (under preferences).

grelber #65009 11/18/23 09:03 PM

The correct method for dealing with preference files has changed over the years, and I've got absolutely no idea what that means, anyhow, so, if you haven't done so already, this is the procedure you need to follow. (This is going to be a bit tricky to explain, because you're working with earlier versions of both the app and OS than I am.):
  1. Quit Word.
  2. Move your default template to the trash, but DON"T empty it (so Word can't find it).
  3. Trash whichever of these files you've got: /Users/grelber/Library/ Preferences/com.microsoft.Word.plist OR /Users/grelber/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Word/Data/Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.Word.plist. (Trash both if you've got both.)
  4. Restart your Mac.
  5. Recreate your default template from scratch.

If that doesn't solve your problem, I throw in the towel, and you can move your default template out of the trash to wherever it originally lived.

artie505 #65019 11/19/23 12:56 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks. I previously did all that and, as noted, no dice.

grelber #65020 11/19/23 01:33 PM

Personally, then, I'd just use Find Any File to trash every vestige of Word and start from scratch,

artie505 #65027 11/20/23 06:29 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Word has continued to "act up" — formatting up the wazoo, etc etc. It's moot at this point how much the problem might be due to my iMac's misbehaving in its dotage.

Apple's Pages only works with macOS 13 and up. (I'm still working in El Capitan — 10.11.6 — which is as high as I can go).

I'm going to give Bean a shot. It's compatible with Word documents and is supposedly way more streamlined. It gets good reviews. We shall see.

grelber #65028 11/20/23 06:48 PM

I used Bean many years ago when I needed a word processor and couldn't afford MS Office, and, for the minimal demands I made of it, I was totally happy with it.

I don't hesitate to encourage you to try it!

artie505 #65029 11/20/23 09:13 PM

Since you are accustomed to the idiosyncrasies of Word, you might consider, or perhaps re-consider, LibreOffice. It is compatible with .doc and .docx documents and supports all but the most exotic and seldom used Word features (but not necessarilly in the same menu). The price is right -- FREE -- and they have been good about retaining compatibility with older macOS versions.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #65323 12/16/23 08:09 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Over the past while I have tried (for at least a couple of hours on several occasions on their website) to find the most recent version of LibreOffice which is compatible with (and will run bug-free on) my Intel iMac running Mac OS X El Capitán (10.11.6) — to no avail.

LibreOffice's website is one the most complicated and convoluted I have come across, with no straightforward way to ask the question* and download the appropriate version. I can access the page which contains every single downloadable version since inception, but no way to de-termine which is what.
[* Their "Ask A Question" webpage does not allow for asking such a straightforward question.]

Anybody have a solution to my dilemma?

grelber #65325 12/17/23 01:19 AM

A little Googlizing turned up several links to <https://downloadarchive.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/old>, and a little more turned up <https://ask.libreoffice.org/t/what-...tible-with-mac-os-10-11-el-capitan/41359>, the salient part of which is "I can report that I have successfully run 7.2.7.2 on macOS 10.11—specifically, on 10.11.6, the last version of 10.11."

Relying on the above, and going back to the first document to which I linked and following links got me to <https://downloadarchive.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/old/7.2.7.2/mac>.

Clicking on either of the two links on that page will get you to a page, the top link on which will get you a LibreOffice installer download, although I've got no idea, nor have I got any way of testing, which of the two is suitable for your Mac.

Good luck.

artie505 #65326 12/17/23 08:59 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Many thanks ... although, passing strange, I saw your second link previously but it didn't look anything like your second link when it displayed.
As soon as I have the chance, I'll give version 7.2.7.2 a shot.

grelber #65327 12/17/23 04:23 PM

You are probably looking for LibreOffice 5.6 and all I have been able to find is the source code that would have to be compiled. You will also need to find and install Java in order to run versions of LibreOffice that old. frown

HOWEVER, I did find a download of NeoOffice, a fork of LibreOffice, and is compatible with El Capitan that is a straightforward install and should do the job for you. It is actually better than LibreOffice as it integrates macOS features not supported in LibreOffice. In either case you must have Java installed to run the database system.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #65328 12/17/23 10:57 PM

In view of what I've posted, I'm curious why you say 5.6 which, for some reason, isn't even included in the archive document to which I linked.

joemikeb #65329 12/18/23 09:16 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

[and also to Artie}

LibreOffice 7.2.7.2 was the solution. It is definitely a slick app.
Unlike Microsoft Office it doesn't load the various modalities (particularly the equivalent to MS Word) as a separate entity, thereby requiring a half dozen additional steps to acquire a blank document (even after establishing the template I desire).
My previous solution was/is to step up a blank Word document on the Desktop which requires only 3 steps (open/save as/get on with business). So I guess I'm stuck with this work-around for the time being.

grelber #65330 12/18/23 11:00 AM

Happy to hear that it works, even if not as you've hoped for.

grelber #65331 12/18/23 10:48 PM

My previous solution was/is to step up a blank Word document on the Desktop which requires only 3 steps (open/save as/get on with business). So I guess I'm stuck with this work-around for the time being.
Why don't you create a document, leave it on your desktop, and when it comes time for the next one, just erase what's in the previous one, i.e., your "template," and start anew?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard