FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
UPDATE to Sonoma??
#65060 11/22/23 04:24 PM
OP Offline

I am getting two messages on my Mac. There is a Beta update and an update to Sonoma. I definitely do not want to do any beta updates. Is the Sonoma update an actual upgrade or a beta thingy? It's version 14.1.1. I will update to that if it's not beta. Cool widgets I am looking forward to.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: UPDATE to Sonoma??
plantsower #65063 11/22/23 06:13 PM

14.1.1 is the current non-beta release of Sonoma.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #65065 11/22/23 06:53 PM
OP Offline

Good to know, Ira. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Ira L
14.1.1 is the current non-beta release of Sonoma.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #65068 11/22/23 07:00 PM

STAY AWAY FROM SONOMA FOR NOW!!!

It's buggy as all get out, so much so, in fact, that Apple recently posted that they were temporarily suspending development of the next version of macOS to deal with the bugs.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #65082 11/22/23 08:49 PM
OP Offline

Oh man, thanks. What's with that? What about all the testing that should be done first? Sloppy. I will wait. If you hear the bugs are gone, please let me know, then I will download it.

Originally Posted by artie505
STAY AWAY FROM SONOMA FOR NOW!!!

It's buggy as all get out, so much so, in fact, that Apple recently posted that they were temporarily suspending development of the next version of macOS to deal with the bugs.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

1 member likes this: Gregg
plantsower #65085 11/22/23 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by plantsower
Oh man, thanks. What's with that? What about all the testing that should be done first? Sloppy. I will wait. If you hear the bugs are gone, please let me know, then I will download it.
Sonoma went through in-house testing, developer betas, and public betas before it was released! crazy shocked

I'll try to remember to keep you posted.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #65086 11/22/23 08:54 PM
OP Offline

Sonoma went through in-house testing, developer betas, and public betas before it was released! crazy shocked

I'll try to remember to keep you posted.
Wish Steve were back. No more perfectionism.[b][/b]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #65090 11/22/23 11:22 PM

For What It Is Worth, my experience with Sonoma has been significantly different than Artie is reporting. I am currently running macOS 14.2 Beta 3 and I have only one open issue which did not appear until macOS 14.2 Beta 2, and may be unique to my particular configuration and settings, as I am the only one who has reported it to Apple. To that point, the only apps that failed to run were blocked by the app itself because it had not been tested with the specific version of macOS I was running. Sonoma cleared a few minor annoyances I had with Ventura, and has, in my experience, been the most trouble-free beta in the last four or five years, and in spite of the fact it has more and more significant under-the-hood changes than any upgrade since at least Catalina.

I am not denying the reports of problems, but based on a completely unscientific analysis of a statistically insignificant sample, I would venture the majority are the result of Sonoma being highly optimized for Macs with Apple Silicon inside, not Intel. I also suspect that Apple may have private API's that are not available (documented?) for use by third-party application developers, which perhaps helps explain my remaining issue not appearing in Safari.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #65091 11/22/23 11:27 PM
OP Offline

OK, thanks.
Originally Posted by joemikeb
For What It Is Worth, my experience with Sonoma has been significantly different than Artie is reporting. I am currently running macOS 14.2 Beta 3 and I have only one open issue which did not appear until macOS 14.2 Beta 2, and may be unique to my particular configuration and settings, as I am the only one who has reported it to Apple. To that point, the only apps that failed to run were blocked by the app itself because it had not been tested with the specific version of macOS I was running. Sonoma cleared a few minor annoyances I had with Ventura, and has, in my experience, been the most trouble-free beta in the last four or five years, and in spite of the fact it has more and more significant under-the-hood changes than any upgrade since at least Catalina. It said there were iPhone widgets. Would that be to make phone calls from my Mac? It's not always easy for me to do, even with FaceTime.

I am not denying the reports of problems, but based on a completely unscientific analysis of a statistically insignificant sample, I would venture the majority are the result of Sonoma being highly optimized for Macs with Apple Silicon inside, not Intel. I also suspect that Apple may have private API's that are not available (documented?) for use by third-party application developers, which perhaps helps explain my remaining issue not appearing in Safari.
Does that mean that my Bean Word Processor might not work? I'm used to it over Pages.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #65094 11/23/23 12:48 AM

In response, I offer Apple pauses iOS 18, macOS 15 work to stomp bugs now.

Hmmm... I originally interpreted that article as referring to bugs in macOS 14, but further reading suggests it really refers to 15, although any bugs in 15 are very possibly holdovers from 14. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nonetheless, I still suggest that anyone who hasn't upgraded yet should hold of for at least another update or two.

artie505 #65095 11/23/23 12:50 AM
OP Offline

Probably will. Thanks.

In response, I offer Apple pauses iOS 18, macOS 15 work to stomp bugs now.

Hmmm... I originally interpreted that article as referring to bugs in macOS 14, but further reading suggests it really refers to 15, although any bugs in 15 are very possibly holdovers from 14. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nonetheless, I still suggest that anyone who hasn't upgraded yet should hold of for at least another update or two.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #65097 11/23/23 12:59 AM

Does that mean that my Bean Word Processor might not work? I'm used to it over Pages.

I didn't want to misspeak, so I downloaded Bean and attempted to run it, and immediately ran afoul of a new security feature in macOS 14.2. There is probably a way to bypass that, but it will take some research. Apple is getting very touchy about third-party developers including hidden tracking and phone home "features" in their software (Google being the prime exemplar of the practice). Personally, I applaud the effort and there is an easy way for the developers to come into compliance, but that is sure to bite some older no longer developed or supported software.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #65098 11/23/23 01:06 AM
OP Offline

Do you have an easy way for me to transfer my documents from Bean to Pages to protect them. I count on them in case that happens to me.

I didn't want to misspeak, so I downloaded Bean and attempted to run it, and immediately ran afoul of a new security feature in macOS 14.2. There is probably a way to bypass that, but it will take some research. Apple is. getting very touchy about third-party developers including hidden tracking and phone home "features" in their software. Personally, I applaud the effort and there is an easy way for the developers to come into compliance, but that is sure to bite some older no longer developed or supported software.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #65099 11/23/23 01:13 AM

Do you have an easy way for me to transfer my documents from Bean to Pages to protect them. I count on them in case that happens to me.

According to this how to article Bean can export its files into various word-processing formats including Pages. Just be sure to export them before you upgrade to Sonoma.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #65100 11/23/23 01:18 AM
OP Offline

According to this how to article Bean can export its files into various word-processing formats including Pages. Just be sure to export them before you upgrade to Sonoma.

For sure, that's why I asked. Thanks so much. I just informed the developer of Bean about this predicament. Maybe he can do something or maybe not.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #65101 11/23/23 01:24 AM

When I no longer needed a word processing app and got rid of Bean, I saved all my docs as TextEdit files which are editable, but not formattable.

plantsower #65102 11/23/23 01:25 AM
OP Offline

Well, that didn't work. I clicked on export, clicked on my document and it took me to it again in Finder. No other instructions or way to export to Pages that I can find.

For sure, that's why I asked. Thanks so much. I just informed the developer of Bean about this predicament. Maybe he can do something or maybe not.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #65103 11/23/23 01:29 AM

Sounds like you may have screwed up steps 3 & 4:
"3 Select the desired output format in the Export window
4 Select your preferred export options and click OK"

artie505 #65104 11/23/23 01:30 AM
OP Offline

Yeah, text edit is boring. Wish I could drag and drop my docs from Bean to Pages. When I open Pages it shows me some, not all, of my Bean documents which I can open with Pages, but I don't know if I will be able to do that if Sonoma blocks Bean. I still need to find a way to export or I won't upgrade. I guess I could copy and paste documents, but there are a lot of them that I use and count on. I wish Apple would quit messing with this type of stuff. Let us give permission to d/l 3rd party apps like before. I don't like the micromanaging.

When I no longer needed a word processing app and got rid of Bean, I saved all my docs as TextEdit files which are editable, but not formattable.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #65106 11/23/23 01:36 AM
OP Offline

Didn't work. First of all he said I could click CommandE to bring up export. That did nothing so I went to the drop down box in Bean and clicked export and this time chose PDF. Same thing. It took me to the document in Finder. I command clicked to see if there was an option to export and there wasn't. This is what showed up when I command clicked the document in Finder: Command clicked in Finder.

Sounds like you may have screwed up steps 3 & 4:
"3 Select the desired output format in the Export window
4 Select your preferred export options and click OK"

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #65111 11/23/23 03:24 AM

I dunno. Without installing Bean, I'm at a loss. Was the doc it took you to in Finder a Bean doc or a PDF? I suspect it may have been the latter, and even if so,I don't know where you go from there.

How about you look under Pages > File > Import if there is such a thing, and if so, see what options it offers.

artie505 #65112 11/23/23 03:45 AM
OP Offline

How about you look under Pages > File > Import if there is such a thing, and if so, see what options it offers. [/quote]

Oh, that's a good idea. I'm beat now and my brain is dead but I will try that later. Thanks, Artie.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #65117 11/23/23 05:23 AM

Did you look to see if those end files are PDFs? I'm pretty sure that they are.

artie505 #65119 11/23/23 05:28 AM
OP Offline

I never saw what they were because nothing happened. I will try the app in a few days and see what happens.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #65120 11/23/23 08:46 AM

I never saw what they were because nothing happened. I will try the app in a few days and see what happens.

I'm guessing that something DID happen, which was that your Bean docs were exported as PDFs as you opted for, and the docs in Finder you were directed to were those PDFs, NOT the originals you think they were...that you saw the same doc names and without looking at their suffixes jumped to a bad conclusion.

It's SOP in the OS that when you do something, you are then directed to the results of your action.

1 member likes this: joemikeb
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard