Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Try It, You May Like It.
MG2009 #64650 09/29/23 04:19 PM
OP Online

Originally Posted by MG2009
Huh? The first link, and any of the others, leads me to a screen popup with a BLUE d/l tab … When clicked, it asks me if I want to download a product called CLEAN SHOT?

Try looking a little further down on the CLEAN SHOT window to find the screenshot. (FYI CLEAN SHOT is an Imgur competitor that includes collaboration features but you do not have to download anything to view the screenshot.) you just have to scroll down a little to see the screenshot image. Had you read all the way down the post you would have seen the following:
Originally Posted by previous post
Click here then look in your download folder.

In retrospect I probably should have incIuded two more steps so that would have read…

1. Click here, (NOTE: this link will always download the current latest version of ARC with no questions asked.
  2. If you are running macOS Sonoma you may be asked if it is permissible to download a file from arc.net and you must reply in the affirmative
  3. G to your download folder and double click on the downloaded zip file to open it
  4. In the resulting Finder window, drag the ARC icon and drop it on the Applications folder
  5. Double click on the Applications folder to open it
  6. Find ARC in the applications folder and double click on that to launch the ARC browser

Seriously : Should a LEGIT browser be this difficult to get?

I don't know how to make it any simpler unless ARC was available from the App Store. (The App store approval process takes months and ARC is currently releasing weekly updates so the App store isn't a viable option at this stage of development.)

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #64651 09/29/23 05:19 PM
OP Online

Thanks, Artie. I , too, keep getting the “must” set up an account with one’s email … no matter which approach I use.

The fact that a browser insists that I give up my email address to use it gives me pause. Opera and others have not required that I do so. (I do not need to be on, yet another, email list to be bombarded with more promos and adverts.)

theBrowser.company makes a point that they do not share user data, including email addresses with anyone. Given the fact that Arc is staking its reputation and future on that promise I am inclined to give it credence. Rigerous training of Spamseive has reduced my seen junkmail by roughly 75% with reasonable error rate in both directions. My biggest reduction came from cancelling my Google account.

Originally Posted by artie505
I understand joemike's response that the email address is for syncing between devices, but it should be optional for users who've got only one device or don't care to use Arc on other than one particular device.

In Arc go to Help > Share Feedback and make a request that be made optional. The developers are very responsive and with features coming, going, and changing on a weekly basis, next week's release might have it as an option. I haver already expressed a preference for using the built-in iCloud synchronization¹ and I am confident others would greatly prefer Google Cloud (which seems self-defeating to me).

—————————-
  1. ask and ye shall receive, i just looked and the current version IS syncing via iCloud

Last edited by joemikeb; 09/29/23 05:30 PM. Reason: footnote

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #64652 09/29/23 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by joemikeb
I understand joemike's response that the email address is for syncing between devices, but it should be optional for users who've got only one device or don't care to use Arc on other than one particular device.
In Arc go to Help > Share Feedback and make a request that be made optional.
Well, there's a Catch-22 for ya, because doing so requires that I open an account with my email address.

Since you've already got an account, perhaps you'd consider making the request on behalf of those of us who don't care to share our email addresses with Arc?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
joemikeb #64653 09/30/23 07:55 AM

To be honest, I was intrigued by joemike's post, but after following a few of his links, I decided that barring an unforeseen Safari calamity when I upgrade to Ventura, I'm sticking with it. It may be lacking some Arc features that a power user like joemike finds attractive, but it works just fine for me, and after years of use, I'm comfortable and happy with it and don't feel like getting involved in a major learning curve to gain features that, at the moment, I see no need for. As far as I can tell, Safari combined with the Wipr and Roadblock extensions gives me all-encompassing privacy ans security.
CLARIFICATION
  1. ARC does NOT have any unique or high tech features. It is a solid stable browser based on the currently most widely used browser engine.
  2. ARC IS a COMPLETE RE-THINK of how users interact with the browser and the internet It is difficult to explain and you have to experience it to see if it fits with your internet work style..
  3. ARC is under active development, evolving rapidly with new revisions every Thursday and the developers are very responsive to user input.
All of that, but I don't see any need to rethink my interaction with my browser and the Internet, particularly if there's going to be what appears to be a steep learning curve involved.

On the one hand, I'm sure that Safari can be improved upon, but on the other hand, I've never found myself longing for any particular sort of improvement.

You've always been like a kid in a toy store...searching for the newest and greatest toys, and in Arc, you seem to have struck gold, but I'm not as susceptible to the allure of what might lie beyond the next ridge, so I'll stick to my comfortable valley. i.e., Safari, until there's a compelling need to move on, rather then a merely fascinating one.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #64654 09/30/23 03:21 PM
OP Online

You've always been like a kid in a toy store...searching for the newest and greatest toys, and in Arc, you seem to have struck gold, but I'm not as susceptible to the allure of what might lie beyond the next ridge, so I'll stick to my comfortable valley. i.e., Safari, until there's a compelling need to move on, rather then a merely fascinating one.

I plead guilty as charged. I spent most of my professional life using stone-age tools to create what would eventually become the bleeding edge and developed a taste for it. To me, the really fun stuff is usually just ahead of that bleeding edge. If I am not trying something new, I very quickly get bored. Thus my fascination with Arc.

Given your indicated propensity for a clean interface and using keyboard shortcuts, I ASSUMED Arc's minimal screen presence with no tool bar, no menu bar, nothing on the screen but the current web page would be "right up your alley". blush

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #64655 10/01/23 11:11 AM

I plead guilty as charged. I spent most of my professional life using stone-age tools to create what would eventually become the bleeding edge and developed a taste for it. To me, the really fun stuff is usually just ahead of that bleeding edge. If I am not trying something new, I very quickly get bored. Thus my fascination with Arc.
grin

Given your indicated propensity for a clean interface and using keyboard shortcuts, I ASSUMED Arc's minimal screen presence with no tool bar, no menu bar, nothing on the screen but the current web page would be "right up your alley". blush
And you read me as well as I read you. cool

Until just now, I had no particular idea what Arc was about. Its demand for an up-front email address is a deal breaker, so I never even launched it, let alone experimented with it, but as you've described it, it sounds like it requires more keyboard navigation, and presents less of a screen presence than even I prefer.

By way of example, I don't mind Safari's menu and tool bars. It's "eye candy," like FTM's "masthead," and other such stuff that takes up real estate but is both non-functional and distracting in the balance, that I don't want to see. And similarly, Safari offers enough keyboard functionality to satisfy me. I don't want to have to remember a slew of new commands to do basic stuff as seems to be the case with Arc.

In short, Arc sounds like an overkill version of my preferences while Safari comes pretty close to nailing them.

But I certainly appreciate your thinking of me.

artie505 #64656 10/01/23 05:56 PM
OP Online

Until just now, I had no particular idea what Arc was about. Its dem[/b]and for an up-front email address is a deal breaker, so I never even launched it, let alone experimented with it, but as you've described it, it sounds like it requires more keyboard navigation, and presents less of a screen presence than even I prefer.

At the risk of beating the subject to death, the keyboard shortcuts are [b]NOT REQUIRED. If they were, I would not be using Arc — I never remember the shortcuts and have to rely on Cheat Sheet to even know what they are. tongue

In short, Arc sounds like an overkill version of my preferences while Safari comes pretty close to nailing them.

I have said you have to use Arc to understand it, but I just came up with a description for the experience that fits for me. Traditional browsers like, Netscape, Firefox, Opera, Chrome, and my long time favorite Safari are BETWEEN the user and the internet content. Arc puts the internet content AT THE FOREFRONT and makes itself as unobtrusive as possible. The App feature in Safari 17.x is a similar attempt, but Arc is even more inclusive.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #64683 10/04/23 07:34 AM

I have said you have to use Arc to understand it, but I just came up with a description for the experience that fits for me. Traditional browsers like, Netscape, Firefox, Opera, Chrome, and my long time favorite Safari are BETWEEN the user and the internet content. Arc puts the internet content AT THE FOREFRONT and makes itself as unobtrusive as possible. The App feature in Safari 17.x is a similar attempt, but Arc is even more inclusive.
I've heard a lot about web apps, and that prompted me to create an FTM app. I wasn't the least bit happy with it. In fact, I hated it!

I can't imagine it being a boon to anyone other than someone who is unable to focus and needs their attention focused for them.

Most importantly, the app took away my mobility. I was stuck with the window on which the app was founded, and although I could create new windows - the only available menu bar functionality - I couldn't do much of anything with them, because my bookmarks and their attendant functionality were gone, as was my ability to create tabs. Further, my extensions' functionality was lost. I felt like I was trapped in a blind alley, as opposed to working with Safari, where I'm a "world citizen."

I'm sure there's more that bothered me that I can't think of, but that's more than enough.

That said, I guess I'm still willing to give Arc a try, and that said, have you, in your capacity as a registered user, requested that providing an email address be made optional, as I requested a while back?

[rant]I never jumped on OnyX, as so many others did, because when the first thing that happened when I launched it was it asked for full disk access with no explanation as to why, the second thing that happened was I trashed it. Likewise, when Arc demanded that I open an account with my email address before it would even launch, I trashed it. True, you've provided an explanation, but not everyone has the luxury of having a contact who's both running the app and understands why the email address may be a necessity.[/rant]

artie505 #64689 10/04/23 08:54 PM
OP Online

Safari's web apps are for those who prefer the iOS/iPadOS experience to macOS. I set up a few Safari Web apps because I preferred using their iPadOS or iOS app to accessing their site through Safari on my iPad or iPhone. They worked well and sounded like a good idea but for essentially the same reasons you gave, I deleted all of them with a hours or days, I still like the site specific apps on my hand-held devices (iPhone, iPad, Watch) and sometimes use them in preference to logging onto the site on my Mac. For example, when I am balancing my financial records in MoneyDance with the latest printed statement on my Mac I frequently open the bank app on my iPhone or iPad to verify recent transactions because it is quicker than logging on through Safari on the Mac. I could access the bank using a Safari app instead of the iPad or iPhone app but I didn't.

Note that was phrased in the past tense and the browser used was Safari. Arc changes the work flow. An Arc link works much like a Safari app but without the limitations. In fact, Arc is so flexible and you can move between and within windows to the point it is easy to get lost and be unable to find your way back through all of the links you went through from the beginning to where you are now.

Yes, I passed along your comment about the email requirement, but I cannot verify if it has or has not been changed/eliminated/etc without deleting Arc and losing many hours spent organizing, curating, and customizing.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #64690 10/05/23 04:18 PM

Yes, I passed along your comment about the email requirement, but I cannot verify if it has or has not been changed/eliminated/etc without deleting Arc and losing many hours spent organizing, curating, and customizing.
Thanks for passing it along. There's absolutely no reason for you to go through a whole rigamarole when any of us can determine if the change has been made by simply d/l'ing the app and trying to launch it. (I'll check in a week or two and let you know.)

I'm willing to give Arc a chance, although I doubt that I'll switch from Safari, which suits my needs and work habits quite well.

artie505 #64691 10/05/23 05:11 PM
OP Online

TODAYS (09/05/2023) update;

AI browsing assistant

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #64705 10/09/23 11:27 AM

TODAYS (09/05/2023) update;

AI browsing assistant
I realize that it's optional rather than default, but any AI really puts me off!

And ChatGPT in particular is something I wouldn't want access, let alone easy access, to.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard