FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: New Mac every thing slower
kevs #62312 08/16/22 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by kevs
JOe, thanks, will be going with your advice! I don't even see Virtural Box in app folder! Maybe I tested it years ago , not never.. Tinker tool same.

Ok he is saying though that the 2 new Seagates bought, have apps and an os..? I don't see any of that... It not clear which of my 3 external are usb 2 or 3.. totally confusion. I think the 10 port hub is USB, confirming now with the company.
Joe, did see those links / screenshot, that is the configuration too no? He is not clear on what could/ should do pertaining to the externals... see my question on that... maybe I could get you the Etra report too i

You won't see any of the other folders in Finder. For security reasons, Apple has made those folders invisible. However, they will show in some third-party application such as Disk Map Analyzer, TinkerTool System, or Etrecheck. However, this clearly shows USB 2.0 hubs and devices and which limits the speed to 1.5 Gbps. Until the USB 2.0 devices are eliminated, including any USB 2.0 cables, port adaptors, and hubs, there is no possibility of getting rid of the beach balls.

Originally Posted by J
There is some internal data in the EtreCheck report regarding USB hubs. It is difficult to understand and show, so I don’t show it. But the word “Xcellon” never occurs. All of your USB hubs are identified as “VIA Labs, Inc.”. Some are USB 3.0 and some are USB 2.0. Perhaps some ports are USB 3 and some ports are USB 2. This particular drive seems to be “close” to a Canon D530/560 device and a Logitech MX518 Gaming Mouse. >>> snip <<<

Your EtreCheck report does not show any performance problems. Therefore, any performance problems you are experiencing are due to normal operating system behaviour. All of those old apps and ancient data busses are simply too slow. The operating system expects all of its apps and data to be designed for macOS Monterey and installed on the internal SSD running at 3000 MB/s. Instead, it has to search through 3 different hard drives, one running 10 times slower, and the other running 100 times slower, installed on three different operating systems. It does this tens of thousand of times per day. That’s what causes the beachballs.

Without access to a complete Etrecheck Pro report file, I have nothing to base any opinion on one way or the other. But from what “J” said, his suggestion of a “nuke & pave” reinstall, including the external drives, sounds as if it is several years overdue and needs to be done before the system collapses completely.

Originally Posted by keys
My reply:

thanks, the apps in the external hard drives is over my head. I don’t see any apps or Os in in those hard drives- just my data..

The canon 530 is my printer connected, and I have Logitach corded mouse.

Some of those you mentioned I don’t see in my app folder

Apps don't have to be in the App folder (although they should be) use an app like EasyFind and search the entire system.

The million dollar question John, is why with all this… same hardrives.. was running fine on the 2016 imac 27” with no beachball issue.

The beachballs are annoying, daily, but not so bad.. 10 sec here, 15 sec there, never got this before with older 2016 imac, same hardrive same everything.[quote]

The reason you weren't seeing the beachballs before is your old iMac was so much slower that it essentially didn't notice the delay.

[quote=keys]PS J , I don’t think stomach to do erase and manaul install of everything, would take dozens and dozens of hours.

You think if replaced hardrives… or the 10 port hub that could solve it? Can you say which ones ( 3 externals there)

Also I don’t see Virtual Box or Tinker Tool. Most software I use every now and then… you would scour hard and delete any apps not usuing.

Again, without a complete copy of the Etrecheck PRO file, I can't really offer any comment. However, IF "J" IS CORRECT when the collapse comes it will come unexpectedly, at the worst possible, and you will spend even more time recovering from the disaster. Assuming you have a good Time Machine backup, the entire process should take no more than a few hours -- provided you follow the instructions precisely.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #62313 08/17/22 01:12 AM
kevs Online OP
OP Online

Joe thanks

1- Did you say earlier that full erase is bit overkill? I was doing perfectly fine before M1 mac mini.. Etra reports of old have some minor issue in my opinion nothing huge. If you have a way to send you the Etra report I'll do so.

2- I don't see where J says there is a collapse coming.. Just saying would be optimal no?

3- USB 2 thing hard to get my head around.. I know new Seagate just bought, is a desktop/ hub, but the goofy hub, include is just two passive port so some teenager if want to did not buy a hub can plug in something. If I'm not touching those ports, and only using the USB 3 port, not the usb 2 hub ports at all on side. it should be ok no? Nothing is iattached that lame port they included whicn not using. I don't think the expansion Seagate has anything usb 2 according to specs on their site.

4- The 10 port Xcellon got 5 years ago from BH, may be a 2 or 3, I thought 3.. probably is 3, but they wont get back to me, so emailed BH waiting on that.

5- If I could get more of true USB 2 out of system maybe that could do trick?

6- If did full erase and manual reinstall one day....what "precise instructions" are you talking about. Its just put on Monterrey and then manually add everything slowly back, ie apps mainly right? I have my Data backup up by SD and TM, and Mac OS by those 2 and TM. I would imagine would take weeks, ie hour here hour there.. right? Just preference alone, think of Apple Mail accounts for example.. Guess one could prepare.. But this full collapse, did he imply that? Have you heard of that... what causes it? Pretty rare. ETra verdict from past and now did not say, bad, good to excellent. Something breaks the OS? Note that Etra reports in past and now, come out always good to excellent.. just occasional beach balls in past and now more with M1.. maybe this usb 2 thing could solve it?
But would be great and informative to get the Etra report if possible .

More Final bit from J since spoke: some new ideas/ tips.

It is connected to a USB 2.0 bus. That limits its speed. That drive is listed in your first set of screenshots. Unfortunately, you cropped out the USB bus portion on that specific drive.

Here is the same information from your EtreCheck report:

disk4 - Seagate Expansion HDD 8.00 TB
External USB 480 Mbit/s USB
disk4s1 - EFI (MS-DOS FAT32) [EFI] 210 MB
disk4s2 [APFS Container] 8.00 TB
disk5 [APFS Virtual drive] 8.00 TB (Shared by 6 volumes)
disk5s1 - 1*****************P (APFS) (2.78 TB used)
disk5s2 - 1************************P (APFS) (1.52 TB used)
disk5s3 - 1***********************P (APFS) (367.17 GB used)
disk5s4 - Preboot (APFS) [APFS Preboot] (20 KB used)
disk5s5 - Recovery (APFS) [Recovery] (20 KB used)
disk5s6 - VM (APFS) [APFS VM] (20 KB used)

EtreCheck doesn’t read any information inside external drives. It only checks the partitions and lists the volumes. The 8 TB “Seagate Expansion” USB 2.0 and the 5 TB “Seagate Backup+ Desk” USB 3.0 both have Preboot, Recovery, and VM volumes. They are very small volumes. I’m not sure what is going on with them. I just checked an external APFS drive that I have and it looks nothing like that.

It doesn’t matter what your printer or mouse are. What matters is that they share the same USB 2.0 data bus. That is fine for a printer or a mouse. It is not fine for a hard drive.

I don’t know what your app folder is or what you are referring to there.

I reviewed your previous e-mails to me in August 2020. You indicated that you were having a problem with the computer running too slowly. If it was running fine, why would you have used EtreCheck in the first place, or purchased a new computer? On those old reports, EtreCheck reported “Good” performance with a runtime of 4:06-4:23, which is good, but not great. On the new computer, EtreCheck running in 1:54 with an “Excellent” performance.

At this point, I’m just redundantly repeating the same things over and over again.

I don’t know if either the hard drives or the software is the ultimate cause of the problem. The only way to tell is to fix any obvious problems. A USB 2.0 hard drive is an obvious problem with a 20 second fix, so that does seem like the best place to start. To repeat myself again, the hard drive may be fine, it is only the hub. I can’t say for sure, because a USB 2.0 hub is slow incredibly slow that if the hard drive were failing, you wouldn’t be able to tell. But again, this is a 10 second fix.

1. Eject drive.
2. Remove plug.
3. Move plug to a blue, USB 3.0 port.
4. Test.

If you want to go further and see if the other hard drives are contributing to the problem, you can do a similar test.

1. Eject all external drives.
2. Remove plugs.
3. Test.

If that doesn’t do it, then you will have to carefully review your EtreCheck report and see what apps you have installed, see what apps are consistently using the most CPU, and visualize to yourself what would happen if said apps suddenly stopped working one day. Would your business collapse. Would you even notice? If the result isn’t absolutely catastrophic, then you don’t need that software.

Pay very close attention to any disk syncing or backup software. This kind of software may be using low-level file system locks and could slow down your entire computer. You have iCloud, Time Machine, Dropbox, Carbon Copy Cloner, and maybe SuperSuper! too.

Several of your old EtreCheck reports reported very high levels of CPU use by Mail. Your current report is showing some evidence of this too. I recommend removing any Mail extensions. I see SpamSieve at least.

I don’t know what the Code42 software is supposed to do. I checked the web site and still can’t figure it out. It does seem like a heavy user of CPU.

And finally, you are using both TinkerTool and Cocktail. These are hack/tweak tools purportedly designed to speed up your computer. It sure doesn’t seem like they are helping. I don’t know what changes they have made or how you would undo them.

I don’t know how you would uninstall any of this software or even if it is possible to uninstall them. Maybe they have uninstallers or uninstallation instructions? Maybe those work?

And my final reply to J just now:

Thanks J, well on site, Expansion they don’t mention usb 2 at all:

https://www.seagate.com/products/external-hard-drives/expansion-external-drives/

Now the desktop/ Hub does have two stupid lame port for teenager who need to plug something in, but for me those ports are not active/ used and dead, I’m only using the USB 3 port so that not issue, correct? An idle unused usb 2 port should not effect anything? (hard to get head round that it could..) just there.

The main 10 port Hub waiting for response from Xcellon and BH photo who bought it for 5 years ago. I think is usb 3 but not 100 % should know soon..

Last edited by kevs; 08/17/22 01:13 AM.
kevs #62314 08/17/22 04:55 PM

As I’ve said before, you have many years of old software installed on this new computer. Some of that software is incompatible. It could be buggy. Some of it doesn’t run at all.
case
Your EtreCheck report does not show any performance problems. Therefore, any performance problems you are experiencing are due to normal operating system behaviour. All of those old apps and ancient data busses are simply too slow. The operating system expects all of its apps and data to be designed for macOS Monterey and installed on the internal SSD running at 3000 MB/s. Instead, it has to search through 3 different hard drives, one running 10 times slower, and the other running 100 times slower, installed on three different operating systems. It does this tens of thousand of times per day. That’s what causes the beachballs.

The million dollar question John, is why with all this… same hardrives.. was running fine on the 2016 imac 27” with no beachball issue.

As I read it, the answer to your million dollar question is in the quote above.

I will be in your situation in the near future—replacing a 2014 iMac 27" with a new Ventura OS Mac of some sort. I will make sure all my connections are at least USB 3.0, if not Type C, including the hub, with appropriate cables.

In your case, decide which external drives must be connected at all times and get rid of old software. Be sure to delete the software using something that also purges the Library files, something like AppCleaner.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
kevs #62315 08/17/22 05:00 PM

1- Did you say earlier that full erase is bit overkill? I was doing perfectly fine before M1 mac mini.. Etra reports of old have some minor issue in my opinion nothing huge. If you have a way to send you the Etra report I'll do so.

Originally Posted by joemikeb
... But from what “J” said, his suggestion of a “nuke & pave” reinstall, including the external drives, sounds as if it is several years overdue and needs to be done before the system collapses completely.

2- I don't see where J says there is a collapse coming.. Just saying would be optimal no?

From “J 's” description I would say it is more or less inevitable.

3- USB 2 thing hard to get my head around.. I know new Seagate just bought, is a desktop/ hub, but the goofy hub, include is just two passive port so some teenager if want to did not buy a hub can plug in something. If I'm not touching those ports, and only using the USB 3 port, not the usb 2 hub ports at all on side. it should be ok no? Nothing is iattached that lame port they included whicn not using. I don't think the expansion Seagate has anything usb 2 according to specs on their site.

4- The 10 port Xcellon got 5 years ago from BH, may be a 2 or 3, I thought 3.. probably is 3, but they wont get back to me, so emailed BH waiting on that.

The system is seeing a USB 2.0 connection and that is what counts. In order for your drives to communicate at USB 3.0 speeds every link in the connection must be AT LEAST USB 3.0. Any element in that connection, port adaptor, cable, hub, whatever running at USB 2.0 speeds makes the entire link USB 2.0. The likely suspect is the hub, but it could easily be an old cable.

5- If I could get more of true USB 2 out of system maybe that could do trick?

Maybe, but old out-of-date software almost certainly written for an intel CPU, could also be a major cause.

6- If did full erase and manual reinstall one day....what“precise instructions”” are you talking about. Its just put on Monterrey and then manually add everything slowly back, ie apps mainly right? I have my Data backup up by SD and TM, and Mac OS by those 2 and TM. I would imagine would take weeks, ie hour here hour there.. right? Just preference alone, think of Apple Mail accounts for example.. Guess one could prepare.. But this full collapse, did he imply that? Have you heard of that... what causes it? Pretty rare. ETra verdict from past and now did not say, bad, good to excellent. Something breaks the OS? Note that Etra reports in past and now, come out always good to excellent.. just occasional beach balls in past and now more with M1.. maybe this usb 2 thing could solve it?

Is that Etrecheck or Etrecheck Pro (freeware or paid?) -- there is a difference!

But would be great and informative to get the Etra report if possible .

I have no idea what I would see that“J”” hasn't already commented on, his analysis seems complete and thorough. But you could share the Etrecheck Report on your iCloud drive and post the URL here and I could look at it. To be honest, I don't think you would like my response any better than his. If you do “Nuke & Pave”, and do it correctly, there is no reason for you to lose passwords or email settings. Apple has provided for that through iCloud. You might have to spend a little time a day or two in advance preparing for a thorough “spring-cleaning”, but the actual process should not take that long. If you decide to do it, detailed instructions can be provided.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #62316 08/17/22 06:58 PM
kevs Online OP
OP Online

ok JOe, did not of empirical testing and it seems that dang 10 port hub is the culprit. I think hybrid or something. But all that USB 2 stuff is from that 10 port hub.

Also, being stupid, I should have put the two hardrives that were in the hub as type As, gotten C coverters, and into the 2 c ports on the Mini. So I'll just by converters and get those right into the back of the mini.

The two new Seagates both tested great plugged into the mini A, with no hub in the mix.

But one Seagate, the older 5 year old one, (test fine in drive x) the only old one in mix, did beachball, so I'll destroy that and buy a new external.

J, mentioned both new Seagates, have, pre-boot , recovery, and VM volumes. I don't see any of those three volumes anywhere, they do not show up in DU, none. (where can one see those, or maybe not there?) He mentioned they could interfere or launch apps.

That said, if culprit is the Hub, would you worry about that? Would not buy those again? I I do like Seagate expansion drive, would consider that being the final new one to buy, great price and ventilated well, and test well in Drive X.

Even on spec here: https://www.seagate.com/products/external-hard-drives/expansion-external-drives/

I don't see anything about a preboot, Recovery, and VM volumes.. so not sure where J is getting that from... But open, is see another external out there at these prices that have good ventilation without that junk, let me know.

Final Question: So if culprit is the hub, and when hub is out mix, no beachballing.. then no need to do tedious erasing and installing... You were implying erase not just Mac OS, but also passive data on data drives? Anyway, maybe that wont be needed, if get that one new external and new hub... and put in all externals direct into Mini, instead of having 2 in the hub as was case. But maybe do all that, and some trimming/ pruning, using Ira's link above, maybe no need for erasing all that?

Final question on Hub.. Will it be case with even a new hub if you plug in... things I have in there not hardrives are like Logitech Mouse, still love this corded one because great buttons used to and feel, Have not found any wireless as good. Though open. Mouse, and Card Reader, etc, are these thing these peripherals considered to be USB 2 OR 3 or neutral devices. I look on packaging of mouse don't see any referance, Just says USB.

If these perhaps are a specific USB Category, then maybe should just only plug them in a hub as needed?

The mouse love is this: https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-MX518-Gaming-Grade-Optical-Mouse/dp/B07NDVF9V7

I don't do any gaming, just love feel and buttons, if you know of a wireless version let me know.. But I tested 4-5 logitech wireless with few buttons and none came close as good...

So in short my corded moused even in new hub (think this is usb 2? does not say, and even though passive device, no software.. could slow everything else down?)

But printer, though -- $500 Canon printer/ copier still work great,..

https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/imageclass-d530
Ok do see here at bottom says it's usb 2. connection. darn:

Same question, the printer is in a new great Hub, and is NOT BEING used or even on, you believe just face plugged in could beach ball everything? or does at least have to be running.

Hard to get my head around idea something that is passive, not even on or doing anything can cause havoc..

joemikeb #62317 08/17/22 10:20 PM

I don't think it's been suggested yet, so I'll ask if there's possibly anything to be learned about kevs's setup from looking in System Information > USB?

Wouldn't it display the USB version of every connection?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #62318 08/17/22 10:42 PM
kevs Online OP
OP Online

ARtie yes I took 6 scrrenshots last night with all the variations of stuff unplugged/ plugged and USB 2 ONLY appeared when the USB "3" ha ha Hub (guess its a hybrid 3/2), was plugged in and only when stuff like card reader, mouse was plug into that....

All Externals direct into Mini, showed USB 3...

kevs #62319 08/17/22 10:57 PM

The two new Seagates both tested great plugged into the mini A, with no hub in the mix.

But one Seagate, the older 5 year old one, (test fine in drive x) the only old one in mix, did beachball, so I'll destroy that and buy a new external.

Okay, you have identified a major cause of the beachballs. But that only happens when you are reading from or writing to the drive. Rather than destroying your old drive, I wouls suggest you change the way you use it. It may not be fast, but it should still be adequate for use as a Time Machine drive. As long as it is on its own circuit, it should not affect the performance of any other part of your system.

J, mentioned both new Seagates, have, pre-boot , recovery, and VM volumes. I don't see any of those three volumes anywhere, they do not show up in DU, none. (where can one see those, or maybe not there?) He mentioned they could interfere or launch apps.

Finder, Disk Utility, and any other Apple GUI utilities are specifically coded NOT to see those volumes. There are third-party utilities, such as TinkerTool System, and Etrecheck, that use command line tools and can see them. “J” saw them in the Etrecheck report. So regardless of whether you can see them or not THEY ARE THERE. (If you want to know why Apple hides them, the next time I have four or five hours free, I will write a dissertation explaining why. For now, take it as a security feature.) And "J's" concerns are justified. My question is how the H___ they got there. It had to happen on your iMac and can only be the product of the MacOS installer or a clone utility such as SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner.

Final Question: So if culprit is the hub, and when hub is out mix, no beachballing.. then no need to do tedious erasing and installing... You were implying erase not just Mac OS, but also passive data on data drives? Anyway, maybe that wont be needed, if get that one new external and new hub... and put in all externals direct into Mini, instead of having 2 in the hub as was case. But maybe do all that, and some trimming/ pruning, using Ira's link above, maybe no need for erasing all that?

Your so-called data drives are apparently boot drives as well as witnessed by the presence of the additional hidden volumes. Basically, you have a confused hodgepodge of “stuff” on those drives including old applications and application fragments, and a thorough housecleaning is desperately needed. You could spend days or even weeks in a tedious file, by file, folder by folder, volume by volume disposal and restructuring process or a few hours of a well planned and executed nuke & pave. You could even cross your fingers and hope that the detritus will never overwhelm your system and allow it to continue to accumulate until Murphy's Law and McGillicuddy's kick in (probably 15 minutes before the deadline to submit your tax return or some other similar moment.

REGARDING THE MOUSE AND PRINTER Both are relatively low data-rate devices and a USB 2.0 connection, even when connected via the USB 2.0 hub should be more than adequate.

I am working on a good analogy to help you understand how all the USB parts fit together, and will share it with you when I get it all worked out.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #62320 08/18/22 06:11 PM
kevs Online OP
OP Online

Joe sounds good, in meantime, couple things:

I'm on Etra normal not pro. I've asked J difference and could discern much by pro, even he said not much difference. OPen hear more..

The mini is not beachballing last two days, who knows maybe it needs 2 weeks and not 3 days to stabilize or maybe come back.. Set up is still same.

Per you text: I'm going to keep that older hardrive with Drive x says is 99% ok, and just as my main improvement get converters to the 2 hardrives that were in a hub and get those into the back of the mini direct which you concur is very smart right, get hub out the mix for hardrives.

The hub is a 3, but says 2 once a a peripheral is attached, but correct me if I wrong you are saying having a 2 device like a printer or mouse, card reading attached to the hub, should not make beach balling, , not the culprit? So ok just keep that hub and those few things attached? If understood.

The etra report, has has few list of items that should be cleared out.. love maybe ask J, if I could pay him on zoom meeting to really dig in and find and remove, or if you do that... not easy to read Etra report and find and delete.

Thanks Ira -- that software remove apps fabulous... So I did remove 25 apps, good.. I should probably open the preference folder t? though and delete names dont recognize or use app wise.. There might be things in there a decade or two old in there possible. Any other ideas on pruning, got the Etra report.which is hard to read and prune with, .. and ... never bothered with those spring cleaning softwares, but if there great one you or Ira recommend, I'll try it out.

On mouse again, I love that corded one, but if you know of a comparable cordless let me know. Have not found it.. But again the corded mouse maybe not a cause of this?

Again you are saying don't worry about garbage that Seagate includes in these brand new hardrives, not culprits. pre boot, apps, volume this/ that.. don't don't see on computer (or even their specs online)....

kevs #62321 08/18/22 06:48 PM

I gave up on the analogy. I finally realized I think in computer terms so much that any "real world" analogy would have too many holes to satisfy me, so I drafted Networking 101 (although it is more like Networking Kindergarten) but spend some time reviewing it and hopefully, it will clear out at least some of the fog you are encountering. (Trust me, you have a LOT of company in that fog bank, and the vast majority of them don't even know they are in one.)

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #62322 08/18/22 07:04 PM
kevs Online OP
OP Online

Joe, thanks, looks good nice pdf.. If you have energy to check out my question last post, above, let me know!

kevs #62323 08/18/22 10:28 PM

Joe sounds good, in meantime, couple things:

I'm on Etra normal not pro. I've asked J difference and could discern much by pro, even he said not much difference. OPen hear more.

Same data, but Etrecheck PRO provides more detailed analytics, explanations, and tools (see below). I think you would more likely to comprehend what it is saying.

The etra report, has has few list of items that should be cleared out.. love maybe ask J, if I could pay him on zoom meeting to really dig in and find and remove, or if you do that... not easy to read Etra report and find and delete.

You can delete many of them from within Etrecheck PRO version with no need to dig through Finder to locate them. I am too lazy to spend time looking for remnants that Etrecheck has already located and can eliminate on command.

But again the corded mouse maybe not a cause of this?

The corded mouse is not at fault unless it is connected to the same USB network as one or more of the external drives. Have you read the paper I wrote? It explains how USB works and why one device can, and will, slow an entire USB network.

Again you are saying don't worry about garbage that Seagate includes in these brand new hardrives, not culprits. pre boot, apps, volume this/ that.. don't don't see on computer (or even their specs online)....

I reserve the right to disagree on that. Personally, I would have re-partitioned the Seagates with a GUID partition table and then formatted them APFS before I ever placed them in service. That would have assured they were pristine clean and any factory included Windows/DOS junk eliminated. As to the Boot volume structures, just because you cannot find them without resorting to third-party utilities or the command line does not mean they are not there and they shouldn't be. They remain a potential problem.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #62326 08/19/22 01:36 AM
kevs Online OP
OP Online

Thanks JOe,

Ok Etra Pro.. but what if I don't know if dangerous to delete things? For example not sure I understand unsigned items, launch agents, Ok looks like I have Pro actually (says pro but then ask if want Power user package $18)

Network, ok if can get hardrive into Mini direct and not on hub then those are 2 different networks?

All 3 external Seagate's were made erased by me to APFS, so then ok? J still sees from report this garbage, I'm telling you there was erase and reformat to APFS

Last 2 days no beachballs, even with 2 externals in hub still (waiting on converters to get those externals into Mini) Maybe some relief as I was unplugging and replugging in all externals quite a bit, or just something settles in extra days by coincidence?

Here is some Etra data:

EtreCheckPro version: 6.7 (67009)
Report generated: 2022-08-18 18:21:08
Download EtreCheckPro from https://etrecheck.com
Runtime: 2:11
Performance: Excellent

Problem: Beachballing

Major Issues: None

Minor Issues:
These issues do not need immediate attention but they may indicate future problems or opportunities for improvement.
Small backup drive - Time Machine backup drive is too small.
Apps with heavy CPU usage - There have been numerous cases of apps with heavy CPU usage.
Clean up - There are orphan files that could be removed.
Unsigned files - There are unsigned software files installed. These files could be old, incompatible, and cause problems. They should be reviewed.
System modifications - There are a large number of system modifications running in the background.
Runaway user process - A user process is using a large percentage of your CPU.
x86-only Apps - This computer has x86-only apps might not work on future versions of the operating system.
Kernel extensions present - This computer has kernel extensions that may not work in the future.
Sharing enabled - This computer has sharing services enabled that could be a security risk.

Hardware Information:
Mac mini (M1, 2020)
Mac mini Model: Macmini9,1
2.40 GHz Apple M1 (m1) CPU: 8-core
16 GB RAM - Not upgradeable

Video Information:
Apple M1
ASUS PA279 5120 x 2880

Drives:
disk0 - APPLE SSD AP1024Q 1.00 TB (Solid State - TRIM: Yes)
Internal Apple Fabric NVM Express
disk0s1 [APFS Container] 524 MB
disk1 [APFS Virtual drive] 524 MB (Shared by 4 volumes)
disk1s1 - iSCPreboot (APFS) [APFS Preboot] (8 MB used)
disk1s2 - xART (APFS) (6 MB used)
disk1s3 - Hardware (APFS) (254 KB used)
disk1s4 - Recovery (APFS) [Recovery] (20 KB used)
disk0s2 [APFS Container] 994.66 GB
disk3 [APFS Virtual drive] 994.66 GB (Shared by 6 volumes)
disk3s1 (APFS) [APFS Container] (15.42 GB used)
disk3s1s1 - Macintosh HD (APFS) [APFS Snapshot] (15.42 GB used)
disk3s2 - Preboot (APFS) [APFS Preboot] (422 MB used)
disk3s3 - Recovery (APFS) [Recovery] (805 MB used)
disk3s4 - Update (APFS) (5 MB used)
disk3s5 - Data (APFS) [APFS Virtual drive] (416.20 GB used)
disk3s6 - VM (APFS) [APFS VM] (20 KB used)
disk0s3 [APFS Container] 5.37 GB
disk2 [APFS Virtual drive] 5.37 GB (Shared by 2 volumes)
disk2s1 - Recovery (APFS) [Recovery] (797 MB used)
disk2s2 - Update (APFS) (29 KB used)

disk4 - Seagate Backup+ Desk 5.00 TB
External USB 5 Gbit/s USB
disk4s2 [APFS Container] 5.00 TB
disk6 [APFS Virtual drive] 5.00 TB (Shared by 4 volumes)
disk6s1 - 2*******************P (APFS) (3.15 TB used)
disk6s4 - Preboot (APFS) [APFS Preboot] (20 KB used)
disk6s5 - Recovery (APFS) [Recovery] (20 KB used)
disk6s6 - VM (APFS) [APFS VM] (20 KB used)

disk5 - Seagate Expansion HDD 8.00 TB
disk5s1 - EFI (MS-DOS FAT32) [EFI] 210 MB
disk5s2 [APFS Container] 8.00 TB
disk7 [APFS Virtual drive] 8.00 TB (Shared by 6 volumes)
disk7s1 - 1*****************P (APFS) (2.77 TB used)
disk7s2 - 1************************P (APFS) (1.35 TB used)
disk7s3 - 1***********************P (APFS) (401.12 GB used)
disk7s4 - Preboot (APFS) [APFS Preboot] (20 KB used)
disk7s5 - Recovery (APFS) [Recovery] (20 KB used)
disk7s6 - VM (APFS) [APFS VM] (20 KB used)

disk8 - Seagate Backup+ Hub BK 8.00 TB
disk8s1 - EFI (MS-DOS FAT32) [EFI] 210 MB
disk8s2 [APFS Container] 8.00 TB
disk9 [APFS Virtual drive] 8.00 TB (Shared by 1 volumes)
disk9s2 - T**********E (APFS) (6.81 TB used)

Mounted Volumes:
disk1s1 - iSCPreboot [APFS Preboot]
Filesystem: APFS
Mount point: /System/Volumes/iSCPreboot
Used: 8 MB
Shared values
Size: 524 MB
Free: 505 MB

disk1s2 - xART
Mount point: /System/Volumes/xarts
Used: 6 MB
Shared values

disk1s3 - Hardware
Mount point: /System/Volumes/Hardware
Used: 254 KB
Shared values

disk3s1s1 - Macintosh HD [APFS Snapshot]
Mount point: /
Read-only: Yes
Used: 15.42 GB
Shared values
Size: 994.66 GB
Free: 561.60 GB
Available: 658.63 GB

disk3s2 - Preboot [APFS Preboot]
Mount point: /System/Volumes/Preboot
Used: 422 MB
Shared values

disk3s4 - Update
Mount point: /System/Volumes/Update
Used: 5 MB
Shared values

disk3s5 - Data [APFS Virtual drive]
Mount point: /System/Volumes/Data
Encrypted
Used: 416.20 GB
Shared values
Available: 658.63 GB

disk3s6 - VM [APFS VM]
Mount point: /System/Volumes/VM
Used: 20 KB
Shared values

disk6s1 - 2*******************P
Mount point: /Volumes/2*******************P
Used: 3.15 TB
Shared values
Size: 5.00 TB
Free: 1.85 TB
Available: 2.23 TB

disk7s1 - 1*****************P
Mount point: /Volumes/1*****************P
Used: 2.77 TB
Shared values
Size: 8.00 TB
Free: 3.48 TB

disk7s2 - 1************************P
Mount point: /Volumes/1************************P
Owners enabled: No
Used: 1.35 TB
Shared values
Available: 4.52 TB

disk7s3 - 1***********************P
Mount point: /Volumes/1***********************P
Used: 401.12 GB
Shared values
Available: 3.51 TB

disk9s2 - T**********E
Mount point: /Volumes/T**********E
Used: 6.81 TB
Shared values
Free: 1.19 TB

disk10s1 - P*****************r
Filesystem: Case-Sensitive Journaled HFS+
Disk Image
Mount point: /Volumes/P*****************r
Owners enabled: No
Read-only: Yes
Used: 473 MB
Size: 537 MB
Free: 64 MB

Network:
Interface en0: Ethernet
Interface en4: Ethernet Adapter (en4)
Interface en5: Ethernet Adapter (en5)
Interface en1: Wi-Fi

Interface bridge0: Thunderbolt Bridge
iCloud Status: one pending file

Screen sharing: Enabled
Remote login: Enabled

System Software:
macOS Monterey 12.5.1 (21G83)
Time since boot: About 10 hours

Notifications:
EtreCheckPro.app
2 notifications

DriveDx.app
4 notifications

SuperDuper!.app
13 notifications

CCC Dashboard.app
one notification

Creative Cloud.app
one notification

Security:
Gatekeeper: App Store and identified developers
System Integrity Protection: Enabled

Antivirus software: Apple and Malwarebytes

Screen sharing: Enabled
Remote login: Enabled

Unsigned Files:
Launchd: /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.microsoft.OneDriveStandaloneUpdaterDaemon.plist
Executable: /Applications/OneDrive.app/Contents/StandaloneUpdaterDaemon.xpc/Contents/MacOS/StandaloneUpdaterDaemon
Details: Exact match found in the legitimate list - probably OK

Launchd: /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper.plist
Executable: /Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper

Launchd: /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.microsoft.OneDriveUpdaterDaemon.plist
Executable: /Applications/OneDrive.app/Contents/OneDriveUpdaterDaemon.xpc/Contents/MacOS/OneDriveUpdaterDaemon

Launchd: /Library/LaunchAgents/com.flipvideo.FlipShare.AutoRun.plist
Executable: /Library/Application Support/Flip Video/FlipShareAutoRun.app/Contents/MacOS/FlipShareAutoRun

Launchd: /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.adobe.SwitchBoard.plist
Executable: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/SwitchBoard/SwitchBoard.app/Contents/MacOS/launch.switchboard

Plugin: ~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/fbplugin_1_0_3.plugin
Plugin: ~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/WebEx.plugin
Plugin: /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/DVCPROHDAudio.plugin

Preference panel: ~/Library/PreferencePanes/QuickTimeXPref.prefPane

Apps: 25

Old Applications:
27 x86-only apps

Kernel Extensions:
/Applications/EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard.app
[Not Loaded] EaseUSDriver.kext - com.easeus.driver (1.0.0 - SDK 10.14)

/Applications/Parallels Desktop.app
[Not Loaded] prl_hypervisor.kext - com.parallels.kext.hypervisor (18.0.0 53049 - SDK 10.11)
[Not Loaded] prl_netbridge.kext - com.parallels.kext.netbridge (18.0.0 53049 - SDK 10.9)
[Not Loaded] prl_usb_connect.kext - com.parallels.kext.usbconnect (18.0.0 53049 - SDK 10.9)
[Not Loaded] prl_vnic.kext - com.parallels.kext.vnic (18.0.0 53049 - SDK 10.9)

/Library/Application Support/Roxio
[Not Loaded] TDIXController.kext - com.roxio.TDIXController (1.6)

/Library/Application Support/VirtualBox
[Not Loaded] VBoxDrv.kext - org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv (6.0.6)
[Not Loaded] VBoxNetAdp.kext - org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetAdp (6.0.6)
[Not Loaded] VBoxNetFlt.kext - org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetFlt (6.0.6)
[Not Loaded] VBoxUSB.kext - org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxUSB (6.0.6)

/Library/Extensions
[Not Loaded] Soundflower.kext - com.Cycling74.driver.Soundflower (2.0b2 - SDK 10.10)
[Not Loaded] FTDIKext.kext - com.FTDI.driver.D2XXHelper (1.0 - SDK 10.14)
[Loaded] SATSMARTDriver.kext - com.binaryfruit.driver.SATSMARTDriver (0.10.3 - SDK 10.16)
[Not Loaded] EPSONUSBPrintClass.kext - com.epson.print.kext.USBPrintClass (2.2.7)
[Not Loaded] hp_qc_io_enabler.kext - com.hp.hpio.hp_psa530_630_io_enabler (1.0.1)
[Not Loaded] hp_designjet_series.kext - com.hp.print.hpio.Designjet.kext (2.1)
[Not Loaded] hp_Deskjet_io_enabler.kext - com.hp.print.hpio.Deskjet.kext (3.0)
[Not Loaded] hp_Inkjet_io_enabler.kext - com.hp.print.hpio.Inkjet.kext (3.0)
[Not Loaded] hp_Inkjet1_io_enabler.kext - com.hp.print.hpio.Inkjet1.kext (2.1.2)
[Not Loaded] hp_Inkjet3_io_enabler.kext - com.hp.print.hpio.Inkjet3.kext (2.0)
[Not Loaded] hp_Inkjet4_io_enabler.kext - com.hp.print.hpio.Inkjet4.kext (2.2)
[Not Loaded] hp_Inkjet5_io_enabler.kext - com.hp.print.hpio.Inkjet5.kext (2.1)
[Not Loaded] hp_Laserjet_io_enabler.kext - com.hp.print.hpio.Laserjet.kext (1.0)
[Not Loaded] hp_Officejet_io_enabler.kext - com.hp.print.hpio.Officejet.kext (3.0)
[Not Loaded] hp_Photosmart_io_enabler.kext - com.hp.print.hpio.Photosmart.kext (4.0)
[Not Loaded] hp_PhotosmartPro_io_enabler.kext - com.hp.print.hpio.PhotosmartPro.kext (3.0)
[Not Loaded] hp_Inkjet8_io_enabler.kext - com.hp.print.hpio.inkjet8.kext (2.1)
[Not Loaded] JMicronATA.kext - com.jmicron.JMicronATA (1.1.6)
[Not Loaded] LexmarkUSBMerge.kext - com.lexmark.print.usbmerge (1.10.04)
[Not Loaded] ufsd_NTFS.kext - com.paragon-software.filesystems.ntfs (15.4.19 - SDK 10.10)
[Not Loaded] Seagate Storage Driver.kext - com.seagate.driver.PowSecDriverCore (5.0.1)
[Not Loaded] SiLabsUSBDriver64.kext - com.silabs.driver.CP210xVCPDriver64 (3.0.0d1)
[Not Loaded] Wacom Tablet.kext - com.wacom.kext.wacomtablet (Wacom Tablet 6.3.15-3 - SDK 10.11)
[Not Loaded] BJUSBLoad.kext - jp.co.canon.bj.print.BJUSBLoad (10.58.0 - SDK 10.6)

System Launch Daemons:
[Not Loaded] 36 Apple tasks
[Loaded] 187 Apple tasks
[Running] 156 Apple tasks
[Other] 2 Apple tasks

System Launch Agents:
[Not Loaded] 17 Apple tasks
[Loaded] 180 Apple tasks
[Running] 158 Apple tasks
[Other] One Apple task

Launch Daemons:
[Loaded] TinkerToolSystem-PrivilegedTool.plist (Marcel Bresink - installed 2022-08-04)
[Loaded] com.adobe.ARMDC.Communicator.plist (Adobe Inc. - installed 2022-08-04)
[Loaded] com.adobe.ARMDC.SMJobBlessHelper.plist (Adobe Inc. - installed 2022-08-04)
[Loaded] com.adobe.SwitchBoard.plist (Not signed - installed 2010-05-10)
[Running] com.adobe.acc.installer.v2.plist (Adobe Inc. - installed 2022-08-04)
[Loaded] com.adobe.agsservice.plist (Adobe Inc. - installed 2022-08-06)
[Loaded] com.adobe.fpsaud.plist (Adobe Inc. - installed 2022-08-04)
[Not Loaded] com.apple.installer.osmessagetracing.plist (Apple - installed 2020-03-26)
[Running] com.bombich.ccchelper.plist (Bombich Software, Inc. - installed 2022-08-04)
[Running] com.code42.service.plist (Code 42 Software - installed 2022-08-11)
[Running] com.malwarebytes.mbam.rtprotection.daemon.plist (Malwarebytes Corporation - installed 2022-07-14)
[Running] com.malwarebytes.mbam.settings.daemon.plist (Malwarebytes Corporation - installed 2022-07-08)
[Loaded] com.microsoft.OneDriveStandaloneUpdaterDaemon.plist (Not signed - installed 2020-06-14)
[Loaded] com.microsoft.OneDriveUpdaterDaemon.plist (Not signed - installed 2020-06-14)
[Loaded] com.microsoft.autoupdate.helper.plist (Microsoft Corporation - installed 2022-08-16)
[Loaded] com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper.plist (Not signed - installed 2022-08-04)
[Loaded] com.microsoft.office.licensingV2.helper.plist (Microsoft Corporation - installed 2022-08-04)
[Not Loaded] com.oracle.java.Helper-Tool.plist (Not signed - installed )
[Loaded] com.teamviewer.Helper.plist (TeamViewer GmbH - installed 2022-08-04)
[Not Loaded] com.teamviewer.teamviewer_service.plist (TeamViewer GmbH - installed 2021-01-28)
[Loaded] com.wacom.RemoveTabletHelper.plist (Wacom Technology Corp. - installed 2022-08-04)
[Running] com.wacom.UpdateHelper.plist (Wacom Technology Corp. - installed 2020-04-13)
[Loaded] com.wacom.displayhelper.plist (Apple - installed 2022-08-10)
[Running] com.xrite.device.xrdd.plist (X-Rite, Incorporated - installed 2022-08-04)
[Loaded] us.zoom.ZoomDaemon.plist (Zoom Video Communications, Inc. - installed 2022-08-04)

Launch Agents:
[Not Loaded] com.adobe.AAM.Updater-1.0.plist (Not signed - installed 2018-12-02)
[Other] com.adobe.ARMDCHelper.cc24aef4a1b90ed56a725c38014c95072f92651fb65e1bf9c8e43c37a23d420d.plist (Adobe Inc. - installed 2022-01-07)
[Running] com.adobe.AdobeCreativeCloud.plist (Adobe Inc. - installed 2022-08-04)
[Running] com.adobe.GC.AGM.plist (Adobe Inc. - installed 2022-08-06)
[Not Loaded] com.adobe.GC.Invoker-1.0.plist (Adobe Inc. - installed 2022-08-06)
[Loaded] com.adobe.ccxprocess.plist (Adobe Inc. - installed 2022-08-04)
[Other] com.ccProfiler.tray.plist (Not signed - installed 2021-07-15)
[Loaded] com.ccStudio.tray.plist (X-Rite, Incorporated - installed 2022-08-04)
[Not Loaded] com.flipvideo.FlipShare.AutoRun.plist (Not signed - installed 2009-02-17)
[Other] com.google.keystone.agent.plist (Google, Inc. - installed 2020-03-11)
[Loaded] com.google.keystone.xpcservice.plist (Google, Inc. - installed 2020-03-11)
[Loaded] com.maintain.CocktailSystemEvents.plist (Apple - installed 2022-08-10)
[Running] com.malwarebytes.mbam.frontend.agent.plist (Malwarebytes Corporation - installed 2022-07-08)
[Other] com.microsoft.OneDriveStandaloneUpdater.plist (Not signed - installed 2020-06-14)
[Loaded] com.microsoft.update.agent.plist (Microsoft Corporation - installed 2022-08-16)
[Other] com.paragon-software.ntfs.notification-agent.plist (Paragon Software GmbH - installed 2018-10-02)
[Other] com.seagate.SeagateStorageGauge.plist (Not signed - installed 2010-03-10)
[Not Loaded] com.teamviewer.teamviewer.plist (TeamViewer GmbH - installed 2021-01-28)
[Not Loaded] com.teamviewer.teamviewer_desktop.plist (TeamViewer GmbH - installed 2021-01-28)
[Running] com.wacom.DataStoreMgr.plist (Wacom Technology Corp. - installed 2020-04-13)
[Running] com.wacom.IOManager.plist (Wacom Technology Corp. - installed 2020-04-13)
[Running] com.wacom.wacomtablet.plist (Wacom Technology Corp. - installed 2020-04-13)
[Loaded] com.xrite.device.softwareupdate.plist (X-Rite, Incorporated - installed 2021-07-28)
[Running] jp.co.canon.ScanGearMF.appl.Canon-MF-Scan-Agent.plist (Canon Inc. - installed 2020-11-25)
[Running] jp.co.canon.ScanGearMF.appl.Canon-MFSU-Agent.plist (Canon Inc. - installed 2020-11-25)

User Launch Agents:
[Loaded] com.DigiDNA.iMazing2Mac.Mini.plist (DigiDNA SARL - installed 2022-08-10)
[Not Loaded] com.adobe.GC.Invoker-1.0.plist (Adobe Inc. - installed 2022-08-06)
[Other] com.akamai.client.plist (Not signed - installed 2010-06-12)
[Running] com.c-command.SpamSieve.LaunchAgent.plist (C-Command Software, LLC - installed 2022-08-04)
[Running] com.code42.menubar.plist (Code 42 Software - installed 2022-08-18)
[Loaded] com.dropbox.DropboxMacUpdate.agent.plist (Dropbox, Inc. - installed 2022-06-13)
[Other] com.google.keystone.agent.plist (Google, Inc. - installed 2022-08-04)
[Loaded] com.google.keystone.xpcservice.plist (Google, Inc. - installed 2022-08-04)
[Loaded] com.shirtpocket.backupbytime.plist (Bruce Lacey - installed 2022-07-29)
[Running] com.smallcubed.suite.helper.plist (SmallCubed Inc. - installed 2022-08-10)
[Running] jp.plentycom.boa.SteerMouse.plist (Plentycom Systems - installed 2022-07-29)

User Login Items:
[Not Loaded] AppCleaner SmartDelete (Julien Ramseier - installed 2022-03-14)
Modern Login Item
/Applications/AppCleaner.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/AppCleaner SmartDelete.app

[Running] CCC Dashboard (Bombich Software, Inc. - installed 2022-06-22)
Modern Login Item
/Applications/Carbon Copy Cloner.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/CCC Dashboard.app

[Running] Carbon Copy Cloner (Bombich Software, Inc. - installed 2022-06-22)
Application
/Applications/Carbon Copy Cloner.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/CCC Dashboard.app

[Loaded] DriveDxLoginItemHelper (Kirill Luzanov - installed 2021-06-16)
Modern Login Item
/Applications/DriveDx.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/DriveDxLoginItemHelper.app

[Running] Dropbox (Dropbox, Inc. - installed 2022-08-18)
Application
/Applications/Dropbox.app

[Running] Keyboard Maestro (Stairways Software Pty Ltd - installed 2022-02-11)
Application
/Applications/Keyboard Maestro.app/Contents/MacOS/Keyboard Maestro Engine.app

[Not Loaded] Launcher Disabler (App Store - installed 2022-08-14)
Modern Login Item
/Applications/OneDrive.localized/OneDrive.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/Launcher Disabler.app

[Not Loaded] OneDrive Launcher (App Store - installed 2022-08-14)
Modern Login Item
/Applications/OneDrive.localized/OneDrive.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/OneDrive Launcher.app

[Loaded] OverflowLauncher (Stunt Software - installed 2022-02-11)
Modern Login Item
/Applications/Overflow 3.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/OverflowLauncher.app

[Not Loaded] BkmxAgent (Jerry Krinock - installed 2022-07-02)
Modern Login Item
/Applications/Synkmark.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/BkmxAgent.app

[Not Loaded] TeamViewerMeetingLoginItem (TeamViewer GmbH - installed 2022-02-11)
Modern Login Item
/Applications/TeamViewer.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/TeamViewerMeetingLoginItem.app

[Not Loaded] WhatsApp Login Helper (App Store - installed 2022-08-09)
Modern Login Item
/Applications/WhatsApp.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/WhatsApp Login Helper.app

[Running] aText (Tran Ky Nam - installed 2022-02-11)
Application
/Applications/aText.app

[Running] SteerMouse Manager (Plentycom Systems - installed 2022-07-19)
Modern Login Item
/Library/PreferencePanes/SteerMouse.prefPane/Contents/Library/LoginItems/SteerMouse Manager.app

[Running] Mail (Apple - installed 2022-08-10)
Application
/System/Applications/Mail.app

[Running] Application Wizard (Marco Damaschi - installed 2021-11-17)
Application
~/Library/PreferencePanes/Application Wizard.prefPane/Contents/Resources/Application Wizard.app

Internet Plug-ins:
AdobePDFViewer: 20.009.20067 (Adobe Systems, Inc. - installed 2022-02-11)
AdobePDFViewerNPAPI: 17.012.20098 (Adobe Systems, Inc. - installed 2022-02-11)

Audio Plug-ins:
BlueJeans Audio: 1.0.6 (Blue Jeans Network, Inc. - installed 2020-06-04)
ZoomAudioDevice: 1.0 (Zoom Video Communications, Inc. - installed 2022-02-01)
DVCPROHDAudio: 1.2 (? - installed 2022-08-04)

3rd Party Preference panels:
Application Wizard (Marco Damaschi - installed 2022-08-04)
NTFS (Paragon Software GmbH - installed 2022-02-11)
QuickTime Player X Preferences (? - installed 2022-08-04)
SteerMouse (Plentycom Systems - installed 2022-07-19)
WacomTablet (Wacom Technology Corp. - installed 2022-02-11)

Backup:
Skip System Files: No
Auto backup: Yes
Volumes being backed up:
1*****************P: Disk size: 8.00 TB - Disk used: 4.52 TB
Destinations:
T**********E [Local] (Last used)
Total size: 8.00 TB
Total number of backups: 40
Oldest backup: 2022-06-28 21:13:14
Last backup: 2022-08-18 18:07:06
22 local snapshots
Oldest local snapshot: 2022-08-17 18:30:27
Last local snapshot: 2022-08-18 17:54:20

3rd party backup: Carbon Copy Cloner

Performance:
System Load: 5.96 (1 min ago) 3.63 (5 min ago) 3.05 (15 min ago)
Nominal I/O usage: 0.34 MB/s
File system: 7.49 seconds
Write speed: 3086 MB/s
Read speed: 2236 MB/s

CPU Usage Snapshot:
Type Overall
System: 13 %
User: 9 %
Idle: 78 %

Top Processes Snapshot by CPU:
Process (count) CPU (Source - Location)
Pinegrow --annotation=plat=OS X --annotation=prod= --annotation=ver= --handshake-fd=6 91.98 % (Not signed - Translocated)
WindowServer 17.96 % (Apple)
kernel_task 14.90 % (Apple)
EtreCheckPro 11.96 % (Etresoft, Inc.)
Google Chrome Helper (Renderer) (7) 6.48 % (Google LLC)

Top Processes Snapshot by Memory:
Process (count) RAM usage (Source - Location)
EtreCheckPro 699 MB (Etresoft, Inc.)
Google Chrome Helper (Renderer) (7) 589 MB (Google LLC)
nwjs Helper (Renderer) 535 MB (Pinegrow Pte. Ltd.)
Mail 299 MB (Apple)
Google Chrome 291 MB (Google LLC)

Top Processes Snapshot by Network Use:
Process (count) Input / Output (Source - Location)
Code42Service 131 MB / 6 KB (Code 42 Software)
mDNSResponder 21 MB / 2 MB (Apple)
Mail 16 MB / 5 MB (Apple)
rapportd 331 KB / 188 KB (Apple)
Dropbox 216 KB / 244 KB (Dropbox, Inc.)

Top Processes Snapshot by Energy Use:
Process (count) Energy (0-100) (Source - Location)
Pinegrow --annotation=plat=OS X --annotation=prod= --annotation=ver= --handshake-fd=6 42 (Not signed - Translocated)
WindowServer 6 (Apple)
Google Chrome 5 (Google LLC)
Microsoft Excel 3 (Microsoft Corporation)
Google Chrome Helper (Renderer) (7) 2 (Google LLC)

Virtual Memory Information:
Physical RAM: 16 GB

Free RAM: 58 MB
Used RAM: 11.38 GB
Cached files: 4.56 GB

Available RAM: 4.62 GB
Swap Used: 0 B

Software Installs (past 60 days):
Install Date Name (Version)
2022-07-27 macOS 12.4 (12.4)
2022-07-27 Setup macOS Recovery Dependencies (202103122236)
2022-07-27 GarageBand (10.4.6)
2022-07-27 iMovie (10.3.2)
2022-07-27 Keynote (12.0)
2022-07-27 Numbers (12.0)
2022-07-27 Pages (12.0)
2022-07-27 MobileAssets (1.0.0.0.1645860813)
2022-07-27 MAContent10_AssetPack_0048_AlchemyPadsDigitalHolyGhost (2.0.0.0)
2022-07-27 MAContent10_AssetPack_0310_UB_DrumMachineDesignerGB (2.0.0.0)
2022-07-27 MAContent10_AssetPack_0312_UB_UltrabeatKitsGBLogic (2.0.0.0)
2022-07-27 MAContent10_AssetPack_0314_AppleLoopsHipHop1 (2.1.0.0)
2022-07-27 MAContent10_AssetPack_0315_AppleLoopsElectroHouse1 (2.1.0.0)
2022-07-27 MAContent10_AssetPack_0316_AppleLoopsDubstep1 (2.0.0.0)
2022-07-27 MAContent10_AssetPack_0317_AppleLoopsModernRnB1 (2.0.0.0)
2022-07-27 MAContent10_AssetPack_0320_AppleLoopsChillwave1 (2.0.0.0)
2022-07-27 MAContent10_AssetPack_0321_AppleLoopsIndieDisco (2.0.0.0)
2022-07-27 MAContent10_AssetPack_0322_AppleLoopsDiscoFunk1 (2.0.0.0)
2022-07-27 MAContent10_AssetPack_0323_AppleLoopsVintageBreaks (2.1.0.0)
2022-07-27 MAContent10_AssetPack_0324_AppleLoopsBluesGarage (2.0.0.0)
2022-07-27 MAContent10_AssetPack_0325_AppleLoopsGarageBand1 (2.1.0.0)
2022-07-27 MAContent10_AssetPack_0354_EXS_PianoSteinway (2.0.0.0)
2022-07-27 MAContent10_AssetPack_0357_EXS_BassAcousticUprightJazz (2.0.0.0)
2022-07-27 MAContent10_AssetPack_0358_EXS_BassElectricFingerStyle (2.0.0.0)
2022-07-27 MAContent10_AssetPack_0371_EXS_GuitarsAcoustic (3.0.0.0)
2022-07-27 MAContent10_AssetPack_0375_EXS_GuitarsVintageStrat (2.0.0.0)
2022-07-27 MAContent10_AssetPack_0482_EXS_OrchWoodwindAltoSax (2.0.0.0)
2022-07-27 MAContent10_AssetPack_0484_EXS_OrchWoodwindClarinetSolo (3.0.0.0)
2022-07-27 MAContent10_AssetPack_0487_EXS_OrchWoodwindFluteSolo (3.0.0.0)
2022-07-27 MAContent10_AssetPack_0491_EXS_OrchBrass (3.0.0.0)
2022-07-27 MAContent10_AssetPack_0509_EXS_StringsEnsemble (2.0.0.0)
2022-07-27 MAContent10_AssetPack_0536_DrummerClapsCowbell (2.0.0.0)
2022-07-27 MAContent10_AssetPack_0537_DrummerShaker (2.0.0.0)
2022-07-27 MAContent10_AssetPack_0538_DrummerSticks (2.0.0.0)
2022-07-27 MAContent10_AssetPack_0539_DrummerTambourine (2.0.0.0)
2022-07-27 MAContent10_AssetPack_0540_PlugInSettingsGB (2.0.0.0)
2022-07-27 MAContent10_AssetPack_0554_AppleLoopsDiscoFunk2 (2.1.0.0)
2022-07-27 MAContent10_AssetPack_0557_IRsSharedAUX (2.0.0.0)
2022-07-27 MAContent10_AssetPack_0560_LTPBasicPiano1 (2.0.0.0)
2022-07-27 MAContent10_AssetPack_0593_DrummerSoCalGBLogic (2.0.0.0)
2022-07-27 MAContent10_AssetPack_0597_LTPChordTrainer (2.0.0.0)
2022-07-27 MAContent10_AssetPack_0598_LTPBasicGuitar1 (2.0.0.0)
2022-07-27 MAContent10_AssetPack_0615_GBLogicAlchemyEssentials (2.0.0.0)
2022-07-27 MAContent10_AssetPack_0637_AppleLoopsDrummerKyle (3.1.0.0)
2022-07-27 MAContent10_AssetPack_0646_AppleLoopsDrummerElectronic (3.1.0.0)
2022-07-27 MAContent10_AssetPack_0806_PlugInSettingsGBLogic (2.0.0.0)
2022-08-09 WhatsApp (2.2228.12)
2022-08-11 CrashPlan for Small Business (10.2.1)
2022-08-13 MRTConfigData (1.93)
2022-08-14 SAT SMART Driver for DriveDx (0.10.3)
2022-08-14 macOS 12.5 (12.5)
2022-08-14 macOS Monterey (12.5)
2022-08-14 OneDrive (22.151.0717)
2022-08-16 Microsoft AutoUpdate (4.50.22081401)
2022-08-16 Microsoft Excel (16.64.22081401)
2022-08-16 Microsoft OneNote (16.64.22081401)
2022-08-16 Microsoft PowerPoint (16.64.22081401)
2022-08-16 Microsoft Word (16.64.22081401)
2022-08-18 XProtectPayloads (68)
2022-08-18 macOS 12.5.1 (12.5.1)
2022-08-18 RosettaUpdateAuto (1.0.0.0.1.1660202702)

Clean up:
~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.akamai.client.plist
/Applications/Akamai/loader.pl
Executable not found
/Library/LaunchAgents/com.seagate.SeagateStorageGauge.plist
/Library/Application Support/Seagate/Seagate Storage Gauge.app/Contents/MacOS/Seagate Storage Gauge
Executable not found
/Library/LaunchAgents/com.ccProfiler.tray.plist
/Applications/ccProfiler/ccProfilerTray.app
Executable not found
/Library/LaunchAgents/com.adobe.AAM.Updater-1.0.plist
/Library/Application Support/Adobe/OOBE/PDApp/UWA/UpdaterStartupUtility
Executable not found
/Library/LaunchAgents/com.microsoft.OneDriveStandaloneUpdater.plist
/Applications/OneDrive.app/Contents/StandaloneUpdater.app/Contents/MacOS/OneDriveStandaloneUpdater
Executable not found

Diagnostics Information (past 7-30 days):
2022-08-18 17:38:51 nwjs Crash
Executable: /private/var/folders/*/Pinegrow.app

2022-08-18 14:38:08 mdsync High CPU Use (8 times)
Executable: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/Metadata.framework/Versions/A/Support/mdsync

2022-08-18 10:52:24 Mail.app High CPU Use (12 times)
Executable: /System/Applications/Mail.app

2022-08-18 08:32:18 Code42.app High CPU Use (5 times)
Executable: /Applications/Code42.app

2022-08-16 20:26:55 signpost_reporter High CPU Use (3 times)
Executable: /usr/libexec/signpost_reporter

2022-08-16 17:04:58 OneDrive File Provider Crash (2 times)
Executable: /Applications/OneDrive.localized/OneDrive.app
Details:
libsystem_c.dylib: abort() called

2022-08-14 09:53:30 xrdd High CPU Use
Executable: /Library/Application Support/X-Rite/*/XRiteDevice.framework/Versions/B/Resources/xrdd

2022-08-13 18:52:14 fileproviderd Crash
Executable: /System/Library/Frameworks/FileProvider.framework/Support/fileproviderd

End of report

kevs #62329 08/19/22 04:38 PM

Ok Etra Pro.. but what if I don't know if dangerous to delete things? For example not sure I understand unsigned items, launch agents, Ok looks like I have Pro actually (says pro but then ask if want Power user package $18)

The “Power User” option has all the extra goodies.

Network, ok if can get hardrive into Mini direct and not on hub then those are 2 different networks?

A network begins at the USB or Thunderbolt port on your Mac mini and includes all devices connected through that port.

All 3 external Seagate's were made erased by me to APFS, so then ok? J still sees from report this garbage, I'm telling you there was erase and reformat to APFS

The Seagate drives came formatted for Windows and using a Windows partitioning scheme. Erasing and reformatting the drive has no effect on the partitioning scheme. So your Seagates now have a DOS partitioning scheme and are formatted APFS (exept for one that is formatted HFS+). While this will work, it is suboptimal and a GUID partition table would be prefereable. Changing the partition table requires using Disk Utility to repartition the drive.
  1. Select the Drive in the Disk Utility side bar
  2. Click on the icon labeled “Partition”
  3. Select the APFS formatted

CAUTION: THIS WILL TOTALLY ERASE YOUR DRIVE

NOTE: In prior versions of macOS there was an option to choose either the DOS or GUID partition table. That option has been removed.

]Last 2 days no beachballs, even with 2 externals in hub still (waiting on converters to get those externals into Mini) Maybe some relief as I was unplugging and replugging in all externals quite a bit, or just something settles in extra days by coincidence?

More like, all of the processing finally finished.

Here is some Etra data:

I will comment on notable items from the Etrecheck Report, but to do a full detailed analysis and commentary would take several hours and I have neither the time nor the inclination to do one.

Originally Posted by Etrecheck
Minor Issues:
These issues do not need immediate attention but they may indicate future problems or opportunities for improvement.
Small backup drive - Time Machine backup drive is too small.
Apps with heavy CPU usage - There have been numerous cases of apps with heavy CPU usage.
Clean up - There are orphan files that could be removed.
Unsigned files - There are unsigned software files installed. These files could be old, incompatible, and cause problems. They should be reviewed.
System modifications - There are a large number of system modifications running in the background.
Runaway user process - A user process is using a large percentage of your CPU.
x86-only Apps - This computer has x86-only apps might not work on future versions of the operating system.
Kernel extensions present - This computer has kernel extensions that may not work in the future.
Sharing enabled - This computer has sharing services enabled that could be a security risk.

This is pretty much routine

Drives:
disk0 - APPLE SSD AP1024Q 1.00 TB (Solid State - TRIM: Yes)
Internal Apple Fabric NVM Express
disk0s1 [APFS Container] 524 MB
disk1 [APFS Virtual drive] 524 MB (Shared by 4 volumes)
disk1s1 - iSCPreboot (APFS) [APFS Preboot] (8 MB used)
disk1s2 - xART (APFS) (6 MB used)
disk1s3 - Hardware (APFS) (254 KB used)
disk1s4 - Recovery (APFS) [Recovery] (20 KB used)
disk0s2 [APFS Container] 994.66 GB
disk3 [APFS Virtual drive] 994.66 GB (Shared by 6 volumes)
disk3s1 (APFS) [APFS Container] (15.42 GB used)
disk3s1s1 - Macintosh HD (APFS) [APFS Snapshot] (15.42 GB used)
disk3s2 - Preboot (APFS) [APFS Preboot] (422 MB used)
disk3s3 - Recovery (APFS) [Recovery] (805 MB used)
disk3s4 - Update (APFS) (5 MB used)
disk3s5 - Data (APFS) [APFS Virtual drive] (416.20 GB used)
disk3s6 - VM (APFS) [APFS VM] (20 KB used)
disk0s3 [APFS Container] 5.37 GB
disk2 [APFS Virtual drive] 5.37 GB (Shared by 2 volumes)
disk2s1 - Recovery (APFS) [Recovery] (797 MB used)
disk2s2 - Update (APFS) (29 KB used)

Standard configuration for the internal boot drive. disk0s3 is the APFS “snapshot” that is the actual bootable configuration.

disk4 - Seagate Backup+ Desk 5.00 TB
disk4s2 [APFS Container] 5.00 TB
disk6 [APFS Virtual drive] 5.00 TB (Shared by 4 volumes)
disk6s1 - 2*******************P (APFS) (3.15 TB used)
disk6s4 - Preboot (APFS) [APFS Preboot] (20 KB used)
disk6s5 - Recovery (APFS) [Recovery] (20 KB used)
disk6s6 - VM (APFS) [APFS VM] (20 KB used)

Standard configuration for a bootable external clone. It appears to have been created by Carbon Copy Cloner. If it was created by the installer, a bootable snapshot would appear as a separate volume. NOTE: the MS-DOS partition resulting from your failure to re-partition the drive.

disk5 - Seagate Expansion HDD 8.00 TB
disk5s1 - EFI (MS-DOS FAT32) [EFI] 210 MB
disk5s2 [APFS Container] 8.00 TB
disk7 [APFS Virtual drive] 8.00 TB (Shared by 6 volumes)
disk7s1 - 1*****************P (APFS) (2.77 TB used)
disk7s2 - 1************************P (APFS) (1.35 TB used)
disk7s3 - 1***********************P (APFS) (401.12 GB used)
disk7s4 - Preboot (APFS) [APFS Preboot] (20 KB used)
disk7s5 - Recovery (APFS) [Recovery] (20 KB used)
disk7s6 - VM (APFS) [APFS VM] (20 KB used)

Standard configuration for a bootable external clone. It appears to have been created Carbon Copy Cloner. If it was created by the installer, a bootable snapshot would appear as a separate volume on that. NOTE: the MS-DOS partition resulting from your failure to re-partition the drive.

Originally Posted by etrecheck
disk8 - Seagate Backup+ Hub BK 8.00 TB
disk8s1 - EFI (MS-DOS FAT32) [EFI] 210 MB
disk8s2 [APFS Container] 8.00 TB
disk9 [APFS Virtual drive] 8.00 TB (Shared by 1 volumes)
disk9s2 - T**********E (APFS) (6.81 TB used)

A standard data drive configuration. NOTE: the MS-DOS partition resulting from your failure to re-partition the drive.

Unsigned Files:
Launchd: /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.microsoft.OneDriveStandaloneUpdaterDaemon.plist
Executable: /Applications/OneDrive.app/Contents/StandaloneUpdaterDaemon.xpc/Contents/MacOS/StandaloneUpdaterDaemon

Launchd: /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper.plist
Executable: /Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper

Launchd: /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.microsoft.OneDriveUpdaterDaemon.plist
Executable: /Applications/OneDrive.app/Contents/OneDriveUpdaterDaemon.xpc/Contents/MacOS/OneDriveUpdaterDaemon

Launchd: /Library/LaunchAgents/com.flipvideo.FlipShare.AutoRun.plist
Executable: /Library/Application Support/Flip Video/FlipShareAutoRun.app/Contents/MacOS/FlipShareAutoRun

Launchd: /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.adobe.SwitchBoard.plist
Executable: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/SwitchBoard/SwitchBoard.app/Contents/MacOS/launch.switchboard

These are potential slowdown items. You have a LOT of Extensions, and third party “stuff” running.

Backup:
Skip System Files: No
Auto backup: Yes
Volumes being backed up:
1*****************P: Disk size: 8.00 TB - Disk used: 4.52 TB
Destinations:
T**********E [Local] (Last used)
Total size: 8.00 TB
Total number of backups: 40
Oldest backup: 2022-06-28 21:13:14
Last backup: 2022-08-18 18:07:06
22 local snapshots
Oldest local snapshot: 2022-08-17 18:30:27
Last local snapshot: 2022-08-18 17:54:20

[color:#FFR66OO]DO NOT BACK UP THE SYSTEM FILES![/color] The only way to successfully restore system files is to reinstall the system from the Recovery Drive. So backing them up is a waste of disk space.

3rd party backup: Carbon Copy Cloner

DANGER WILL ROBINSON! Time Machine and CCC should never ever use the same backup drive.

NO APPLICATION CAN TELL WHAT YOU NEED AND WHAT YOU DON’T NEED! That decision can only be made by YOU. My personal rule of thumb is to look at each item and ask myself if I have actually used it in the past year. If not, then it goes. if I have used it then I keep it. The trick is figuring out what many those extensions, login items, LaunchDaemons, and LaunchAgents belong to or support. That can take some pretty good detective work to determine.

— Albert Einstein
kevs #62331 08/19/22 05:29 PM

NO APPLICATION CAN TELL WHAT YOU NEED AND WHAT YOU DON’T NEED! That decision can only be made by YOU. My personal rule of thumb is to look at each item and ask myself if I have actually used it in the past year. If not, then it goes. if I have used it then I keep it. The trick is figuring out what many those extensions, login items, LaunchDaemons, and LaunchAgents belong to or support. That can take some pretty good detective work to determine.

Which bring us back to the app I referenced (waaaay) above, or something comparable. I have used that one, App Cleaner, and it finds the items joemikeb mentions. Does it find every single one of them every time? Who knows? But it seems to. smirk

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
joemikeb #62333 08/19/22 05:52 PM
kevs Online OP
OP Online

Joe, so I have Pro versions says Pro, can delete, but recommend getting power user version? What are best extra goodies you like?

"A network begins at the USB or Thunderbolt port on your Mac mini and includes all devices connected through that port."
4 ports at back of the Mini.. Ok think I'm there: If hub is going into one of those ports, and ... answer is that, if external drive gets it's on port, then it's ok, it's on own networK? Ie, each of those 4 ports at back up the Mini are in effect their own USB networks?

Joe, that One Drive stuff, not sure on it... I don't use One Drive, but I think every few years I post on Word/ Excel forum and a senior tech, will say please upload you file to One drive... or Maybe One drive helps with my iphone versions or word/ excel? not sure. I don't use One Drive for anything... You know what One drive is?

Adobe switchboard. Have no idea what that is do you? I have Photoshop/ LIghtroom etc.

"[color:#FFR66OO]DO NOT BACK UP THE SYSTEM FILES![/color] The only way to successfully restore system files is to reinstall the system from the Recovery Drive. So backing them up is a waste of disk space."

I have no idea , or dont understand a word what going on with that. Tell me what to delete, I'll do so...

Ok now see, CCC, TM is NOT on the same drive. TM gets it's own drive.

I have a CCC backup of Mac HD, and I have an SD back up mac HD, why is that bad? Those backups have all apps and desktop... etc, you need them in case TM was corrupted and I want to get back to normal.

Thanks Joe!

Ira L #62334 08/19/22 05:56 PM
kevs Online OP
OP Online

Ira, thanks app cleaner awesome.

But it does not find what you must decide is old and get rid of.... Thats Etracheck right? Is anything besides ETrachek.. Got Daisy Disk, nice but tedious interface whereas ETracheck really points out things. Any other software you guys use, like to pointing out what you might want get rid of? Or we have it covered..

kevs #62336 08/19/22 10:11 PM

"A network begins at the USB or Thunderbolt port on your Mac mini and includes all devices connected through that port."
4 ports at back of the Mini.. Ok think I'm there: If hub is going into one of those ports, and ... answer is that, if external drive gets it's on port, then it's ok, it's on own networK? Ie, each of those 4 ports at back up the Mini are in effect their own USB networks?

There are are seven ports on the back of your Mac mini:
  • One 3.5 mm audio
  • One HDMI
  • Two USB 3.1 Gen 2 (up to 101 Gbps) Type A
  • Two Thunderbolt 4 (up to 40 Gbps) Type C
  • One Gigabit Ethernet

Any connection to any one of those ports would be a separate unique network. The two Type A ports would, of course, be USB networks. The two Type C ports would be Thunderbolt 4 networks, but Thunderbolt 4 is backward compatible with USB 3.0, 3.1, 3.1 Gen 2, 3.2, and 4.0. NOTE: I encountered difficulty connecting USB devices to one of the Thunderbolt ports unless I used a certified Thunderbolt 4 cable with an adapter on the other end. YMMV.

Joe, that One Drive stuff, not sure on it... I don't use One Drive, but I think every few years I post on Word/ Excel forum and a senior tech, will say please upload you file to One drive... or Maybe One drive helps with my iphone versions or word/ excel? not sure. I don't use One Drive for anything... You know what One drive is?

I have never used One Drive personally, but it is the rough equivalent of iCloud, Google Drive, etc.

Adobe switchboard. Have no idea what that is do you? I have Photoshop/ LIghtroom etc.

Perhaps this Adobe Forum thread will answer your question.

[/quote=keys]I have no idea , or dont understand a word what going on with that. Tell me what to delete, I'll do so...[/quote]

At one time, Time Machine would automatically back up the system files as well as the data files. With the advent of the Recovery Drive, backing up the system files became optional because the System files can be installed as part of a recovery drive installation. In Monterey and Ventura, backing up the System Files in Time Machine, is no longer offered as an option because, for several technical reasons, it is no longer possible to recover system files without performing a complete reinstall. Any attempt to reinstall a system file or files would immediately render the system un-bootable.

Ok now see, CCC, TM is NOT on the same drive. TM gets it's own drive.

That was the only explanation I could come up with for the boot volumes on the Seagates. That leaves an intentional installation of either Big Sur or Monterey on the Seagates.

I have a CCC backup of Mac HD, and I have an SD back up mac HD, why is that bad? Those backups have all apps and desktop... etc, you need them in case TM was corrupted and I want to get back to normal

Mike Bombich, the developer of CCC, no longer recommends bootable clones. Instead, he recommends cloning ONLY THE DATA VOLUME and installing the system only, if it is actually needed. Updating a Monterey or Ventura clone will break the boot image volume and render it useless. Even using Apple's own cloning tool, clones of recent versions of macOS systems on Apple Silicon may be bootable but are often not fully functional. I don't even bother to install the system on a clone, but the clone can be used to restore the user after a re-installation and is a bit faster than using Time-Machine. But the Time machine backup is inevitably more current. I have mentioned before, that I have two Time Machine drives and Time Machine automatically alternates backups between the two. In case my internal drive get damaged, and a Time Machine backup drive fails, I never lose more than two hours of work.

— Albert Einstein
kevs #62337 08/19/22 10:23 PM

Ira, thanks app cleaner awesome.

But it does not find what you must decide is old and get rid of.... Thats Etracheck right? Is anything besides ETrachek.. Got Daisy Disk, nice but tedious interface whereas ETracheck really points out things. Any other software you guys use, like to pointing out what you might want get rid of? Or we have it covered..

You have TinkerTool which has an app uninstaller function that has turned up bits parts and pieces missed by other app cleaner tools. I expect Artie will chime in with his recommendation of using FindAnyFile or EasyFind and I have to agree they get the most thorough results, but they also require significant knowledge and detective skill on the part of the user. But not even those apps can't identify app related files with UUID file names.

Last edited by joemikeb; 08/19/22 10:35 PM. Reason: clarification

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #62338 08/19/22 11:48 PM
kevs Online OP
OP Online

Thanks JOe!

"unless I used a certified Thunderbolt 4 cable with an adapter on the other end."

Darn , I was hoping/ assuming the cords supplied with new Seagate 3.0 ( with the 3rd party converters that are coming soon) will work in those 4 ports.

"At one time, Time Machine "
But you can lets say if did not have SD or CCC, reinstall you Mac HD with all your apps and desktop and all from TM I think? ie and that's the system in there. (or wrote below, maybe Apple is inserting stuff on the fly per the OS)

"intentional installation of either Big Sur or Monterey on the Seagates.
"
.... one Seagate is and another Seagate TM both backing up Mac HD -- Maybe that why we are seeing all those pre boot volumes etc? .ie........ system users, mac os install data, libary, boot.. etc. appl
And one Seagate has Mac HD by CCC, and SD, and both have full mac HD

"Mike Bombich, the developer of CCC, no longer recommends bootable clones.
I confirmed this with --I asked Mike this too... Yeah he confirmed that.. Personally I don't care about bootable clones, ie clones that will boot into for emergency work, BUT, CCC, AND SD clones will restore a full Mac HD back to the way it was.. all I care about.. Bootable clones just mean you can boot into them on the fly. Never done it, well I used to test that .. but really not necessary. Do restore the whole thing, fine.. Had to do that few months ago. Kind of traumatic -- but worked, saved the day.....which is why I like to know Got SD, CCC and TM ready to go. (The TM did not work few months ago so hanging by thread and SD backup saved day).... BTW, Dave at SD, says/ claims SD are still and will remain bootable.

BTW I will admit, since I'm 1/100th on you level... maybe some system things that Apple is inserting in now, to restore your Mac HD... as you do have to use their tool to use SD, CCC or TM... is what saying,

joemikeb #62339 08/20/22 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by joemikeb
I expect Artie will chime in with his recommendation of using FindAnyFile or EasyFind and I have to agree they get the most thorough results, but they also require significant knowledge and detective skill on the part of the user. But not even those apps can't identify app related files with UUID file names.
I use Find Any File in root mode, and I've always assumed that it's finding everything, but a while back, Jon posted that EasyFind found items that FAF missed. I expect to uninstall Excel (in favor of Numbers frown ) soon, and when I do, I'll d/l EF and compare it results with those of FAF. The massive number of files that Microsoft Office installs make Excel an excellent comparison candidate.

As far as "require significant knowledge and detective skill on the part of the user" go, pretty much every app I've ever uninstalled was totally straightforward, with every item located by FAF searches for app & dev name being obviously deletable, the rare exceptions I've run into being apps such as Microsoft and Firefox, which turn up exceptions which do, indeed, call for a bit of thought before deletion.

You've mentioned "related files with UUID file names" more than once, and I've always been curious about what they might be. Can you direct me to a location in macOS in which such files can be found?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #62340 08/20/22 02:54 PM
kevs Online OP
OP Online

ARtie, can send screenshot, what is root mode? Kind of a noisy interface, I choose file and folders, root mode something innovating beyond that?

And isn't true that tons of gunk files that don't have name? Search Excel, maybe some junk does not have excel.. Junk always has the name of app sure?

How compare to App Cleaner, that seems to be pretty impressive, though that wont work once have the app deleted and then junk is around years later, which is case ... in fact nothing works, cause years later, you don't even know what app was the foundation for the junk.

artie505 #62341 08/20/22 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by artie505
I use Find Any File in root mode, and I've always assumed that it's finding everything, but a while back, Jon posted that EasyFind found items that FAF missed. I expect to uninstall Excel (in favor of Numbers frown ) soon, and when I do, I'll d/l EF and compare it results with those of FAF. The massive number of files that Microsoft Office installs make Excel an excellent comparison candidate.

Because App Store apps are “Sandboxed” all of their support files are encapsulated in the application package itself. Therefore, the recommended way to delete them is through the Launchpad app. Simply click and hold on the icon in Launchpad until the icon shakes and an X appears at the upper left corner of the icon. Click on the X, approve the deletion and it is a complete deletion. It even works on Microsoft and Adobe apps purchased and installed through the App Store.

Microsoft and Adobe apps not purchased through the App Store usually have an uninstallation option in their installer, which should remove all application and settings files but leave the data files.

As far as “require significant knowledge and detective skill on the part of the user” go, pretty much every app I've ever uninstalled was totally straightforward, with every item located by FAF searches for app & dev name being obviously deletable, the rare exceptions I've run into being apps such as Microsoft and Firefox, which turn up exceptions which do, indeed, call for a bit of thought before deletion.

And unless you really know what you are doing, it is easy to delete more than you intend. (Don't ask how I know that blush )

You've mentioned “related files with UUID file names” more than once, and I've always been curious about what they might be. Can you direct me to a location in macOS in which such files can be found?

Without knowing specific file names, UUID files are almost impossible to find among the 2,500,000+ files on my system. But if you want to know what UUID file names look like go to ~/Library/Mail/V9 and you will find UUID file names such as C6D6B6FA-4BBF-4BC8-9669-BDE542ED07C7 which is a Universally Unique Identifier also known as a GUID (Globally Unique Identifier). { mad I wish you hadn't brought that up. Now I have to figure out the relationship, if any, between a Globally Unique Identifier and the GUID partition scheme favored by Apple. tongue }

— Albert Einstein
kevs #62342 08/20/22 06:05 PM

ARtie, can send screenshot, what is root mode? Kind of a noisy interface, I choose file and folders, root mode something innovating beyond that?

PMFJI but a good friend who earned his living as a Unix System administrator for the Federal Bureau of Investigation who told me that after 20+ years of experience he never logged in as Root if there were any other alternatives because a single typo in a command can all too easily erase the entire system.

And isn't true that tons of gunk files that don't have name? Search Excel, maybe some junk does not have excel.. Junk always has the name of app sure?

That is where the detective work comes in.

How compare to App Cleaner, that seems to be pretty impressive, though that wont work once have the app deleted and then junk is around years later, which is case ... in fact nothing works, cause years later, you don't even know what app was the foundation for the junk.

But there are apps that will search for old unused files.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #62345 08/21/22 12:30 AM
kevs Online OP
OP Online

JOe, thanks, good post. What are apps you recommend.

Just checked out Launchpad, never really tried it before, still don't get why one would use launchpad when have dock, but nice to see all icons so large.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard