for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Running Safari in 32-bit mode & PithHelmet
#3934 09/17/09 03:26 PM
OP Offline

For years I have been a happy user of PithHelmet . Alas, it does not (yet) officially work with Snow Leopard. From the developer’s site is a comment that PH largely works, but not fully, when/if running Safari in 32 bit mode.

So I gave it a go. Did a Get Info on Safari, changed it to "Open In 32-bit mode" and voila! All is dandy and again right with the world. Well, or so I think…

While Safari is now “operating” slower, because all the advertising junk is not loading on the pages I visit, I detect no (apparent) slowdown. How much of this is a consequence of my machine’s capabilities/configuration, I dunno.

It’s still early in my testing/evaluation process, so things could change.

But for now, any feedback, thoughts regarding pitfalls, etc. is greatly appreciated.

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: Running Safari in 32-bit mode & PithHelmet
Pendragon #4610 10/02/09 12:39 PM
OP Offline

Two weeks later and I have detected no problems when running Safari in 32-bit mode. As for me, I find the advantage of using it this way far outweights the benefit of running a 64-bit Safari. If anything, Safari seems faster-

Harv

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Pendragon #4659 10/03/09 10:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Pendragon
Two weeks later and I have detected no problems when running Safari in 32-bit mode. As for me, I find the advantage of using it this way far outweights the benefit of running a 64-bit Safari. If anything, Safari seems faster-

A lot will depend on (a) how much memory you have in your computer and (b) how you use Safari.

The biggest advantage of 64-bit addressing is that it allows your compute to use more than 4 GB of RAM, the limit for 32-bit systems. If you don't have more than 4 GB of RAM installed in your system, then it'll make no difference.

If you *do* have more than 4 GB of RAM, then whether or not Safari will be any different depending on if it's run in 32-bit mode or 64-bit mode depends on how you use Safari. A program must be written for 64-bit addressing and running in 64-bit mode in order to use more than 4 GB of RAM itself; that is, if you install 8 GB of RAM but run 32-bit progams, those programs will only be able to use 4 GB of your 8 GB.

Is that a big limitation? If you only have a few windows in Safari open at once and you quit Safari when you're done, no.

If you use Safari like I do (I typically will leave it running for months at a time without quitting it, and at any given time I probably have 30 or 40 Web pages open in Safari), then it might. My Safari tends to slow to a crawl, because I only have 3 GB of RAM in my computer--if I were to install more RAM and run 64-bit Safari, my system would likely be significantly faster.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #4676 10/04/09 12:40 PM
OP Offline

Ah, that it explains it!

I have (only) 4 GB RAM and seldom have more than a few pages open at the same time. Also, I quit Safari at least once daily.

If I understand correctly, even when new a new SL PithHelmet gets released, I will see no difference/improvement.

Thanks for your help/explanation Tacit.

Harv

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard