Next Thread
Print Thread
Odd MAC OSX INSTALL DVD activity
#4529 09/30/09 04:53 PM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi:

This is a new one to me . . .

I noticed within the last couple of weeks that my iMAC G5 PPC seems to "sound" busier in the background. Under Finder/Go/Recent Folders there is (inconsistently) an item called MAC OSX INSTALL DVD.

When I click on it, a window opens with no contents showing - except for the black spinning pinwwheel in the lower righthand corner. Under "Get Info", the only information is SIZE : Calculating (i.e. there are no other entries in the rest of the info blanks).

Any idea what may be going on here? (P.S. It has been over a year since the OSX DVD was even in the drive slot. A Spotlight Index search turned up nothing.)

Thanks for any insight anyone can provide.

Re: Odd MAC OSX INSTALL DVD activity
MG2009 #4562 10/01/09 05:04 AM

possibly broken mount point from last time you had that disc in the drive. With finder up front, select to "go to folder" from the menubar. go to "/Volumes" and see what you see.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #4598 10/02/09 05:28 AM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for getting back to me.

"GO TO FOLDER . . . /Volumes" opens a window with two aliases - one for each of the two partitions on the HD.

What next?

P.S. I am using an iMAC G5 PPC with Leopard installed.

MG2009 #4600 10/02/09 05:37 AM

> "GO TO FOLDER . . . /Volumes" opens a window with two aliases - one for each of the two partitions on the HD.

I'm not certain what's next, but that's as it should be.

Have you tried inserting your install disc into your optical drive, allowing it to mount, maybe booting from it, and then ejecting it to see what happens?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #4621 10/02/09 04:22 PM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi, again:

As these things go, the "odd behaviour" described in my first post has not happened for a couple of days now. Go figure, huh? confused

However, I will try putting the disc back in, etc, as you suggested if the message or behaviour happens again.

Once more, thanks for the help. grin

MG2009 #4641 10/03/09 05:55 AM

> Once more, thanks for the help.

A guess hardly qualifies as help, but you're welcome all the same. smile

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #4835 10/09/09 03:41 PM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

With a little detective work and some trial and error, I determined that ONYX 2.0.5 is the culprit.

The "install disc" message mentioned above appears after I run Onyx. The usual procedure is to run Onyx and then re-start the computer. However, at the end of the Onyx run, the computer freezes while attempting to re-start and I get the spinning black pinwheel. Only by force quitting through the Finder Menu will the computer re-start. And when it does, the background(?) activity noises and the Install Disc message re-appear.

Solution: Trashed Onyx and switched to the MAIN MENU application. No sign of the previous issues cited above. (Note: The latest ONYX update is for Snow Leopard only.)

MG2009 #4856 10/10/09 07:57 AM

Originally Posted By: MG2009
With a little detective work and some trial and error, I determined that ONYX 2.0.5 is the culprit.

The "install disc" message mentioned above appears after I run Onyx. The usual procedure is to run Onyx and then re-start the computer. However, at the end of the Onyx run, the computer freezes while attempting to re-start and I get the spinning black pinwheel. Only by force quitting through the Finder Menu will the computer re-start. And when it does, the background(?) activity noises and the Install Disc message re-appear.

Solution: Trashed Onyx and switched to the MAIN MENU application. No sign of the previous issues cited above. (Note: The latest ONYX update is for Snow Leopard only.)

That's a strange one; have you contacted OnyX's developer? (When I did that a few years ago his response was along the lines of "Why are you bothering me to support a free app?")

artie505 #4876 10/11/09 04:22 PM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

Although I have never contacted the DEVELOPERS myself, I have had quirky little issues - not the same as with 2.0.5. - with previous versions of ONYX. I returned to freeware ONYX when MAIN MENU's latest version came with a small ($20) price tag.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/25902

(P.S. However, the older 1.7.3 version of it is free - and still works to do what I require.)

MG2009 #4894 10/12/09 09:59 AM

Note that MainMenu v 1.7.4 is still available via links posted in comments by summerstormpictures and DrLeonP on your linked page. (I just d/l'ed it.)

artie505 #5037 10/15/09 09:30 PM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

Good catch. smile

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard