for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Apple Home Kit, and other Remote Control apps
#41759 09/16/16 09:19 PM
OP Offline

pbGuy brought up the subject of Control Apps for remote devices in this thread in Networking. It raised the question of whether or not it would be useful to share information on Apple Home Kit and other devices and their attendant apps. Since this is not troubleshooting per. se. I am raising this as a potential topic in The Lounge.

Anyone with experience in the various remote devices and apps, whether on iOS or MacOS is invited to share your experience including...
  1. Apple Home Kit enabled or not?
  2. iOS or MacOS or both?
  3. Ease of setup
  4. General comments Pro and/or Con

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Re: Apple Home Kit, and other Remote Control apps
joemikeb #41765 09/17/16 04:05 PM
OP Offline

AUGUST SMART LOCK
  • Home Kit Enabled Yes. Works locally via Bluetooth and remotely via internet either through a server, Apple TV, or August's Connect device, or both.
  • iOS or MacOS? iOS only
  • Ease of Setup: Installation of the lock itself is easy for anyone who can wield the only tool required — a screwdriver. There are online videos and the app itself will walk you through the setup step by step.
  • General Comments:
    1. The lock replaces the inside thumb latch of almost any deadbolt but it does not replace the outside key lock mechanism so there is no need to get new keys. The "motor" is quite strong and even If you have a sticky deadbolt August has a tapered tongue for the lock that will make all but the tightest locks work.
    2. Uses four (4) AA batteries that are supposed to last around 9 months in normal use. The batteries are easy to replace.
    3. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to get this to work using an Apple TV as the remote operator only to discover that I really didn't have to do anything except install the lock and set it up with the iPhone app. The rest just happens. The Apple TV has to be configured to the same Apple ID as the iPhone and apparently communicates with the lock via bluetooth. There can be a 15 to 30 second detecting or changing the lock status (locked or unlocked) via the internet but it does work.
    4. Other iOS devices, on other Apple accounts can be "invited" to control the lock and that invitation may be one time or within a specific time frame.
    5. Works with AirBNB and a number of other similar type apps, but I have not tested that.
    6. Once the lock is set up only "invited" devices can access it.
    7. Works with the August Doorbell and Doorbell cam app but I am still working on accessing it through Apple's Home App 😣
  • Summary: A solid product and a solid app at a competitive price.

Last edited by joemikeb; 09/17/16 04:08 PM.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #41766 09/17/16 04:34 PM
OP Offline

RACHIO SPRINKLER CONTROLLER
  • Home Kit Enabled? No.
  • iOS or MacOS? Both
  • Ease of Setup Installation of the controller requires someone who knows their way around irrigation systems and setup can be done by a home owner, but it takes a lot of careful reading of the manual to understand all the what, where, and how. It is a lot easier to leave that up to an experienced irrigation system installer.
  • General Comments:
    1. I have had this for over a year now and I still have trouble remembering where to set different parameters either through the web interface or the iOS app.
    2. My lawn is the healthiest it has been since we moved here some ten years ago. The Rachio automatically adjusts for the season, the weather, even the type of sprinkler heads in the different irrigation zones. There is no question I am using less water but the water that is being used is a lot more intelligently applied than what I had previously done manually.
  • Summary: The Rachio controller works very well and has saved me more than what it cost in the first year of operation. Being able to control it from my computer or iPhone is not essential, but it sure is convenient.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #41901 09/23/16 02:14 PM

Brief comment / comparison about 2 WiFi Smart Plugs - simple 3-prong electrical outlets...

1) While ToFuture WiFi Smart Plug ($20 on Amazon) is not Home Kit compatible, it uses its own iOS iPhone app (no iPad app). This Smart Plug works well and the iOS app is very functional. As a value product and a one-item install, I can recommend.

2) The Koogeek WiFi Smart Plug ($35 on Amazon) is Home Kit compatible. As this Smart Plug works with iOS Home (both on iPhone and iPad), it sets-up easily as a Favorite & Room item in iOS Home. This also has the advantage that it can be accessed from Control Center, which can be set to be accessed from the Lock Screen and Within Apps. Also, Siri can be used to voice activate this Smart Plug. I am finding the Home Kit integration to be very advantageous. My only criticism of the Koogeek, is that its form factor is just large enough (it's square) that it does not allow the second wall socket to be used; whereas, the ToFuture outlet (it's rectangular) can be plugged into the upper most socket and the form factor will permit use of the lower socket if the item's electrical plug is not large. Nonetheless as a Home Kit compatible product, I can recommend Koogeek WiFi Smart Plug.

My comparative impressions:
Even at a higher price point and particularly if I was using additional Home Kit compatible accessories including additional Smart Plugs, I would prefer (compared to cheaper ToFuture outlet) the Koogeek Smart Plug outlet. Home Kit is a very convenient hub for activating home accessories; and IMHO, Home Kit compatibility provides most effective ease-of-use and overrides the higher price.

MacStudio M1max - 14.4.1, 64 GB Ram, 4TB SSD; Studio Display; iPhone 13mini; Watch 9; iPadPro (M2) 11" WiFi

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard