FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Putting files on Time Machine drive
#37210 11/16/15 02:58 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

In another post joemike noted: “…Apple does not recommend putting the Time Machine backups on a drive with any other files. Not even if you put the Time Machine data set in a separate partition.”

I assume this means files that share the drive on an ongoing basis. What does it mean for files that are temporarily stored on a Time Machine drive, not in a separate partition?

I recently used Data Rescue 3 to search my main drive for a deleted file. It required that I have a place to store the recovered files and it could not use the main drive. My only options were to use the space on either of my two backup drives (Super Duper on one, Time Machine on the other). I chose the Time Machine drive (Capacity 319.73 GB, Available 154.48).

Once I was finished I immediately removed the Data Rescue 3 file folder. Is this a "no-no" practice?

Last edited by ryck; 11/16/15 03:04 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Re: Putting files on Time Machine drive
ryck #37213 11/16/15 03:24 PM

Originally Posted By: ryck
In another post joemike noted: “…Apple does not recommend putting the Time Machine backups on a drive with any other files. Not even if you put the Time Machine data set in a separate partition.”

I assume this means files that share the drive on an ongoing basis. What does it mean for files that are temporarily stored on a Time Machine drive, not in a separate partition?

I personally don't see any reason to avoid using a TM drive for other purposes. I personally use them for mirroring other critical data from other drives. Not for large storage, but for smaller things. I use them somewhat frequently as "slush space", for things like working drives for data rescue as you mentioned.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
ryck #37218 11/16/15 05:32 PM

That is Apple's recommendation and I have always "understood" the reason was primarily to leave as much space free on the Time Machine disk as possible to avoid backups falling off the back end of the set prematurely! Particularly in the early days I have been loath to used the Time Machine drive for other purposes because of the enormous complexity of the multi-linked backup data set and an unwillingness to create any potential access conflicts during a backup. Personally I still think it is a good idea, but that is just my personal opinion.

FWIW I wish Time Machine would use a sparse image bundle for all backups and not just on remote disks like a Time Machine.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #37250 11/18/15 01:29 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
FWIW I wish Time Machine would use a sparse image bundle for all backups and not just on remote disks like a Time Machine.

Sparse bundles are to allow for efficient shrinking of the image if files are deleted. This is necessary for active backups that are being edited, but isn't usually necessary for static images.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard