FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
ClipGrab
#32441 01/09/15 12:30 AM
jchuzi Offline OP
OP Offline

Does anyone have any experience with ClipGrab? I would like to download a YouTube video but I'm reluctant to install an application that I know nothing about.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
Re: ClipGrab
jchuzi #32443 01/09/15 01:01 AM

I've never investigated any of those YouTube d/l apps, Jon, but your post prompted me to try something V1 posted a while back.

Copy this <javascript:(a%20=%20(b%20=%20document).createElement('script')).src%20=%20'http://keepvid.com/js/bm.js',%20b.body.appendChild(a);void(0);> (not the <>) into the address bar of a Safari page, and use command-D to create a bookmark.

Then, go to the YouTube page with the video you want to d/l, and click on the bookmark. (It took me to a page that offered an assortment of formats, and I opted for an mp4 that played just fine in QuickTime.)

Note: You've got to have Java enabled for this to work.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
jchuzi #32444 01/09/15 02:27 AM

I hadn’t used ClipGrab myself before today, but for (free) Youtube downloads you don’t need a dedicated app or Java (iffy online). All you need is already within reach. If you’re using Safari and have Click-to-Flash and/or Click-to-Plugin extensions installed, you can simplify things by adding a ‘Download Video’ item to the Control-click popup menu via the extensions' settings page(s), and take it from there.

Unfortunately, the ‘Download Video’ item isn’t always available at other video sites (like Vimeo), and since the demise of Safari’s Windows>Activity menu item (which listed video links), there isn’t an easy workaround for that either. Presumably, dedicated download apps help by ferreting out those video links, but the proof of that is in the pudding. Since I haven’t yet had any it’s hard to say what will work and how straightforward that is going to be. AFA ClipGrab is concerned, it also covers Vimeo and a few other video sites, free clips only (obviously). I just tried it, and FWIW it works fine.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #32446 01/09/15 04:36 AM

I've been using MacTubes. Not great, but it usually does the job.

I've also used ClipGrab. They're both fine for what you want. Try both.

deniro #32450 01/09/15 05:24 PM
jchuzi Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks to all who replied. I'll try those suggestions and post back but, right now, I'm having download issues with my cable connection. Time Warner is sending a tech next week to diagnose the problem. (Download speeds are akin to dial-up. Maybe, since it's January, my modem has molasses?)

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
deniro #32456 01/10/15 12:18 AM
jchuzi Offline OP
OP Offline

First of all, my download speed problem seems to have been solved. I use RoadRunner from Time Warner Cable and, a few hours after having set up an appointment for a tech to visit next week, a received a phone call from another tech. My problem had been bumped up to a higher level.

This tech suggested that I remove the ethernet cable connecting the modem to the computer and reverse the connection. Voila! He explained why it worked but I didn't understand it (it certainly didn't seem logical and his accent presented difficulties). Any ideas out there? My download speed increased from 2 Mbs to 15 Mbs.

I tried ClipGrab but got the message that no downloadable video could be found. The link, for those who want to try, is https://www.youtube.com/embed/dE-vOscpiNc

As to Lee's suggestion, I have ClickToFlash preferences set to Download Video but nothing happened. Perhaps there is something about this video that prevents it from being downloaded?

Jon

jchuzi #32457 01/10/15 12:24 AM

I tried ClipGrab and MacTubes on that link and got the same problem you did. I've noticed that some YouTube videos can't be downloaded. I guess they are protected somehow.

jchuzi #32458 01/10/15 12:32 AM

Oh, ye of little faith!

V1's bookmark got it for me... NASA | Earthrise - The 45th Anniversary.

Edit: I just found out that it works without Java!

On the other hand, though, I've got absolutely no idea how I created the bookmark in the first place. (I remember having had trouble.)

Edit 2: OK, got it... Paste V1's javascript into your Safari (Any browser?) address bar, select it, and drag the selected text to your bookmarks bar; you'll get a dialog box that command-D won't bring up.

Last edited by artie505; 01/10/15 01:06 AM.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
jchuzi #32459 01/10/15 01:56 AM

Glad to hear your connection issue has been fixed.
Originally Posted By: jchuzi
I tried ClipGrab but got the message that no downloadable video could be found. The link, for those who want to try, is https://www.youtube.com/embed/dE-vOscpiNc

As to Lee's suggestion, I have ClickToFlash preferences set to Download Video but nothing happened.

I'm afraid I have to disagree with your conclusions, albeit in a qualified manner. Apparently ClipGrab doesn’t like Youtube’s embedded video URLs, the ones with the string /embed/ in them. You can easily convert those to ‘regular’ Youtube URLs by transferring the clip code dE-vOscpiNc to the following URL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLIPCODE. Now entering the resulting URL https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE-vOscpiNc into ClipGrab’s URL box (Downloads tab) works just as advertised. tongue If you look at the result of V1’s script from Artie’s post above, you’ll note that it does something similar by way of keepvid.com. cool

Contrary to you the Download Video popup command works for me with both URL versions, so I’m not sure exactly what went wrong there. I assume you did actually select it, right? shocked

Finally, Lee’s not me, but that’s the least of our worries. smirk

alternaut moderator
alternaut #32461 01/10/15 06:46 AM

I just tried ClickTo Plugin > Download Video, and it worked for me, too (with Jon's original URL).

alternaut #32462 01/10/15 10:04 AM
jchuzi Offline OP
OP Offline

Transferring the clip code (etc.) worked perfectly! Thanks for the tip, Alternaut (not known as Lee). shocked

I tried the Download Video popup command again and nothing happened. It worked for Artie in ClickToPlugin but I'm using ClickToFlash. Maybe there's a difference because the video uses HTML 5 instead of Flash?

Jon

alternaut #32463 01/10/15 12:00 PM
jchuzi Offline OP
OP Offline

One question: How did you come across the clip code dE-vOscpiNc?

Jon

jchuzi #32464 01/10/15 02:23 PM

I tried the Download Video popup command again and nothing happened. It worked for Artie in ClickToPlugin but I'm using ClickToFlash. Maybe there's a difference because the video uses HTML 5 instead of Flash?

I just disabled CTP and installed CTF, and I still was able to d/l NASA....

I dunno... crazy

jchuzi #32465 01/10/15 03:57 PM

How did you come across the clip code dE-vOscpiNc?

Easy: I pulled it from the URL you posted yourself. laugh Once you know what to look for, you’ll recognize it in any Youtube URL.

In fact, I have several such clip code substitution templates bookmarked (e.g., Vimeo: vimeo.com/CLIPCODE), and use 'm wherever an embedded video URL is provided, or none at all. In the latter case I look into the page’s source code (now hidden in Safari's Develop menu) and search for <youtube> or <vimeo> etc, to see if the clip originates there. If I don’t find that, I look for other video links. Apple’s decision to drop the Activity item from Safari’s Windows menu makes it a lot harder to find and use such embedded media resource links (I also use the image and audio links) on web pages, since digging through source is not nearly as easy or effective.

alternaut moderator
jchuzi #32499 01/15/15 11:45 PM
jchuzi Offline OP
OP Offline

First of all, my download speed problem seems to have been solved. I use RoadRunner from Time Warner Cable and, a few hours after having set up an appointment for a tech to visit next week, a received a phone call from another tech. My problem had been bumped up to a higher level.

This tech suggested that I remove the ethernet cable connecting the modem to the computer and reverse the connection. Voila! He explained why it worked but I didn't understand it (it certainly didn't seem logical and his accent presented difficulties). Any ideas out there? My download speed increased from 2 Mbs to 15 Mbs.
Here's an addendum, in case anyone has similar issues. The problem was NOT solved. After several phone calls, TWC told me to replace the modem, which was done by swapping it for another at my local TWC store. That didn't solve it either.

To cut to the chase (and make a long story tedious), squirrels chewing the insulation on the external cable caused the slowdown. TWC replaced the wires and now all is well. In the meantime, I upgraded my service from 10 Mbs (nominal) to 20 Mbs (nominal) download speed because TWC lowered their prices (without telling me, of course). So, for less money, I get twice the speed.

Jon

jchuzi #32500 01/16/15 02:50 AM

I had a squirrel problem, too. ATT replaced the wires, but I think it will happen again. The squirrels chewed through wood near the top of the house to get to the wires. The ATT guy told me that they are drawn to the linseed oil in the wires.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard