FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Time Machine not restoring email from Mail
#26758 09/18/13 12:04 PM
MarkG Offline OP
OP Offline

When I am in Mail and open Time Machine and find the email or emails that I need and hit restore, It goes through all steps that It used to do, but does not restore the emails. Any ideas?
Mark
Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5 imac with 8 GB of ram and 10.8.5

Re: Time Machine not restoring email from Mail
MarkG #26761 09/18/13 04:26 PM

You might need to go to the actual "mbox" to find the messages.

Try looking in user/Library/Mail/V2/Mailboxes. What you find there may not be of help. Sorry, but on the computer I am currently using, Mail is not the primary mail application so I can't dig around too much.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #26765 09/18/13 07:53 PM
MarkG Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi Ira, Found out the mail is being recovered, but in an invisible folder named com.apple.mail.backingup.mbox in the mailboxes folder. I can get them if I set up a smart mailbox (found out about this on some site that I can no longer find)
Anyway have a senior techs at apple working on it and will report back when I get the info. Tried making it visible and changing the name to Time Machine on a clone, but it didn't work. Also at there suggestion, reinstalled the system and that didn't work either

MarkG #26773 09/19/13 04:26 PM

Is your user Library visible or invisible? If invisible, change it to visible and the mailbox folder may become visible as well. Then you could import the contents into Mail.

Library visibility can be changed using the free application Mountain Tweaks.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
MarkG #26774 09/19/13 06:29 PM

Look in the list of mailboxes on the left hand side of a mail browser window.

You should see:

ON MY MAC
• Time Machine
• • Recovered Messages

When Time Machine restores a message, it doesn't want to automatically put it back on your IMAP server, so it restores it into an ON MY MAC mailbox. If you want it back on the IMAP server, you can drag it there yourself. (And of course, if you're using POP, the message cannot be put back on the server.)

Note that ON MY MAC can be hidden. If you've done that, you might not be aware that there's now something useful in it.

Ira L #26775 09/19/13 07:43 PM
MarkG Offline OP
OP Offline

Library has been made visible. Apple is trying to find out why the Time Machine recovery folder got changed to com.apple.mail.backingup.mbox and how to undo it.

ganbustein #26776 09/19/13 07:49 PM
MarkG Offline OP
OP Offline

I use comcast for my email and receive all mail directly to the mail program on my mac. The problem is that there is no Time Machine Folder on the column you are mentioning and I have to go through this obscure processto find the recovered mail with a smart folder in mail
As previously mentioned it is in a hidden folder com.apple.mail.backingup.mbox. which can't be made visible on the mail sidebar.or I can find it by making it visible in the mailbox folder in user/library /preferences. I and Apple at the moment can't make it visible on the sidebar of mail under on my mac.
Thanks Mark

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard