In case anyone comes across this:

I use MS Word 2008 and created a document with a recipe entitled Zimne Nogi (pig knuckles, in Polish). I saved and printed the document but my wife wanted me to be authentic so I changed the Z to Ź in order to have the correct Polish spelling. Yesterday, I made several changes to the document, saved the changes, and printed them. Today, my wife wanted more copies but my changes had not been saved.

Naturally, this was very upsetting. I retyped the changes, printed copies, and quit Word. To see if everything was OK, I looked at the recipe with Quick Look and, again, the changes had not been saved. My Time Machine backup also lacked the changes.

On the basis of the KISS principle of troubleshooting (Keep It Simple, Stupid), I changed the Ź back to Z, entered the changes, and all was well.

To be totally accurate, I had also renamed the label of the document with a Ź so I changed that back to Z as well. So, I don't know which one (the Ź in the document or the Ź in the label) was responsible, but I don't feel like futzing around to find out.

Maybe this will help someone in a similar situation.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365