FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Safari 5.1 bug?
#16839 08/05/11 05:17 AM
OP Online

I just ran across this evil critter...

While typing a response to slolerner, "Torx" showed as underlined, i.e. mis-spelled, despite the fact that it was already present in ~/Library/Spelling/en.

Clicking on command-shift-: called up the appropriate dialog box, and clicking on "Learn" showed (understandably?) no results, but clicking on "Ignore" caused the page on which I was working to reload, as follows (and identically, several times):

Originally Posted By: Original text
Originally Posted By: slolerner
I guess I broke it. There are so many diagrams in the battery case about everything, and not one word that the drive goes in upside down. Going to the shop tomorrow.

In my experience, Apple is not terribly forthcoming with details about either the tools or procedures necessary for users to service "user serviceable" components...a deterrent, I guess, although I won't speculate about what, precisely, Apple is deterring.

Your possible present predicament, the "shouldered screws" mentioned earlier by V1, and, as I posted a while back, the lack of details about which Torx wrench is required to remove the HD backing to which the pull-tab is attached are all excellent examples. frown

But perhaps there's still hope, so keep your fingers crossed. (I haven't uncrossed mine yet. smile )

Originally Posted By: Reloaded text
Originally Posted By: slolerner
I guess I broke it. There are so many diagrams in the battery case about everything, and not one word that the drive goes in upside down. Going to the shop tomorrow.

In my experience, Apple is not terribly forthcoming with details about the tools and procedures necessary for users to service "user serviceable" components.

Your present predicament, the

Oddly, though, typing "Torx" here did not result in underlining, but when I omitted the "O" from oddly, command-shift-: > Ignore resulted in this "Post" page reloading with absolutely no text, not even in the subject line, and attempting to duplicate that behavior here has resulted in a reload from which only the questioned text has been deleted.

Further, and perhaps related, after playing around with the phenomenon a few times, when I got back to the FTM Forums Index it indicated that I had never looked at a single post, i.e. number of posts equalled number of unread posts, and I had to clear my cookies to clear my screen. (Edit: Hmmm... I haven't been able to recreate that.)

Can anybody verify this or similar failure of spell-check to interact with Safari 5.1 as expected? (I just tested spell-check in TextEdit, and the two interacted as expected.)

Last edited by artie505; 08/05/11 07:04 AM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: Safari 5.1 bug?
artie505 #16842 08/05/11 12:33 PM

For what it is worth if I am understanding your description correctly, I cannot replicate your error in Safari 5.1 on any of the three Macs around here. Oddly enough when your post first displays the last line of both quotes initially have a dark line over them that almost immediately clears from left to right leaving a normal display. confused

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #16845 08/05/11 02:17 PM

"Torx"

I got the red-line, too, but I did control-click, and had no troubles adding it to the Dictionary. what's with command-shift?

and I also got the strange, brief black lines as Joe did. weird.

MacBook 2.4 Ghz · 4 Gb ram · 10.7.5
stuff I'm interested in
iPhone 4s 7.0.2
roger #16853 08/05/11 10:56 PM

It's command-colon that artie's using (command-shift-semi-colon), which invokes Safari's Edit -> Spelling and Grammar -> Show Spelling and Grammar command.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #16854 08/06/11 05:18 AM

ah, thanks, dk.

MacBook 2.4 Ghz · 4 Gb ram · 10.7.5
stuff I'm interested in
iPhone 4s 7.0.2
joemikeb #16855 08/06/11 06:29 AM
OP Online

Thanks for testing for me.

First, it hadn't occurred to me to try control-click > Ignore, and I've now determined that it works as expected.

Second, the dark line that both you and roger have reported seeing does not appear on my screen. Is it reproducible on your end?

And, finally, this one has got me scratching my head, trying to remember what I may have forgotten...

Since posting, I have
  1. logged in to my test user account,
  2. turned all my Safari Extensions off, and, with them still turned off,
  3. shut down and restarted,
  4. repaired permissions,
  5. Safe Booted,
  6. run "applejack AUTO," and
  7. (Edit 3) reinstalled Safari 5.1,
all with no joy.

I guess I'll have to live with control-click unless someone can offer up a coupla other options for me to try. confused

Edit: On a lark, I just ran DiskWarrior...still no joy.

Edit 2: And on a prayer, I reran the 10.6.8 Combo, and... VOILA!!! smile (Go figure confused )

Last edited by artie505; 08/06/11 08:11 AM.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #16857 08/06/11 10:06 AM

Quote:
Second, the dark line that both you and roger have reported seeing does not appear on my screen. Is it reproducible on your end?

I can reliably reproduce that line by opening and closing another Safari page. When the focus returns to the page with your post the line appears briefly and then disappears. In fact it appears at any time when the focus shifts to that page. As far as I can determine it is only occurs in your one post — at least I have not been unable to reproduce it in other threads.

When I look at the source code for the page some of the HTML generated by UBB Threads 7.5.5 appears to be, if technically acceptable, a bit oddly constructed. That, in conjunction with the code for the "Smilies" and the quote may be the culprit in this case. But that is purely a guess on my part.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #16864 08/07/11 03:30 AM
OP Online

Got me beat! I don't see your black lines. confused

Edit: I'm running Safari 5.0.5 at the moment, but I didn't see the lines when I was running v 5.1 either.

Last edited by artie505; 08/07/11 03:34 AM.

artie505 #17087 08/19/11 08:31 AM
OP Online

Bitten by the "Ignore" bug again and
  1. I reinstalled Safari 5.1...no joy,
  2. reinstalled OS X 10.6.8 v 1.1 Combo...OK in Safari 5.0.5,
  3. and then reinstalled Safari 5.1(*)...Aaargh! No joy this time around.
I guess it's control-click...if I can remember (and not lose any more posts to this obnoxious insect mad )!

(*)Seamless, huh?

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard