for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Flash Cookies Raise Privacy Concerns
Hal Itosis #12223 10/05/10 09:36 AM

First, I just edited my truncated post, and now I'm not the least bit certain about my edit. frown

Originally Posted By: Hal Itosis
>> "Global Privacy Settings" gives no visual indication of which pref I've set.<<
Yeah, i think that's by "design"... i.e., Adobe wants it that way (or don't want to put any effort into improving the display/behavior?).

You can visually check by looking at "Website Privacy Settings," but I still can't figure out how to read it in "settings.sol."

Quote:
>>When I change my pref for a website I've already visited in "Website Privacy Settings" the change does not stick, rather it reverts to my global default.<<
Again, my suspicions are that they're not truly seeking to make all that stuff work properly. (not as users would desire/expect). Or maybe web designers have found ways around Adobe's intended Flash behavior?

Precisely why I'd like to be able to read "settins.sol..." so I don't have to visit Macromedia time after time.

Quote:
>>Website Storage Settings" loses its check in the "Never Ask Again" box, and the pref must be reset by hand for each new website I visit.<<
Ditto. There's just no telling where the "problem" really originates.

The odd thing, though, is even though that setting looks like it's changed in the Macromedia pref pane it still looks right in "settings.sol."

Quote:
Then again, i'm no Flash expert... and i'd like to know the right answers myself.

Ditto!

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #12224 10/05/10 10:56 AM

Quote:
Now that's weird; I thought "I echo suppression default microphone default camera" (Remove all spaces) would come through.

Anyone would. tongue

Given that the experience of visiting any part of Adobe's site is inherently confusing, and that the configuring of Flash settings via the Settings Manager page is even more so, and that non-printable and/or control characters florf the content of posts, and that even if successfully transcribed, the meaning of the text contained in settings.sol files is obscure if not opaque...

Could you please refrain from editing a post to introduce new content pertinent to the ongoing discussion several hours after making the original post? It makes following the topic go from difficult to downright impossible.

(Please don't reply here! I'll be starting a more generalized thread on the topic of editing posts in the Feedback forum when I get a chance.)

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
Hal Itosis #14753 03/18/11 10:13 AM

I just discovered that Flash now installs a pref pane that allows us to set privacy prefs without visiting the Macromedia website... Apps/Sys Prefs > Flash Player. (I'm running version 10.3.180.42, but I have no idea if it's the first version to include the feature.)

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #14754 03/18/11 11:39 AM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

Are you running a beta? According to Adobe, the latest version is 10.2.152.33, the one I'm running. That Flash Player preference pane is absent from my system.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #14755 03/18/11 11:50 AM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
Are you running a beta? According to Adobe, the latest version is 10.2.152.33, the one I'm running. That Flash Player preference pane is absent from my system.

Well, how about that? I am running the beta (which I've been avoiding studiously); I spaced, thought 10.4 was the beta, and d/l'ed 10.3 without reading.

The discovery makes me happy to have erred.

Edit: I'm embarrassed not to have realized instantly that a major change such as a pref pane would not have appeared in a regular update. blush

Last edited by artie505; 03/18/11 12:02 PM.

artie505 #14828 03/24/11 10:24 PM

> The discovery makes me happy to have erred.

I take that back!!!

I just took a look at my Flash pref pane (as I do periodically, because I don't trust them guys), and found that my "Don'ts" had reverted to "Asks" and that something or other that had not asked was using "LocalStorage" in spite of the "Ask" setting. mad

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard