for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Flash Cookies Raise Privacy Concerns
slolerner #12097 09/29/10 07:40 PM

> I have some very important Photoshop files and if they get corrupted by something in the directory and can't be read or copied, I'm going to have really big problems.

That sounds like you haven't got those files backed up.

I suggest that you do so immediately!!!

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #12098 09/29/10 07:59 PM

Oh, they're backed up. But they get changed and re-saved and backed up regularly to another HD while I'm working but if at some point they can't be written because the directory corrupts, I've lost a lot of time and effort. There are a lot of them and they are very big and can't be backed up to DL-DVD as often as I'd like. (I got the faster computer partially to be able to work with these files.) As I understand it, if the original HD has directory corruption, even if the file is written to a back-up HD, they may be un-openable from there also. True?

Mid 2010 MacBook Pro 13"
2.4GHz, 750GB SATA HD, 8 GB RAM, OS 10.7.5
1 HDX1500 2TB Ext.HD, 2 HDX1500 1TB Ext.HD
HP Laserjet 6MP printing postscript via 10/100 Intel print server
Netgear WN2500RP Range Extender (Ira rocks!)
Linksys WRT1900AC Wireless Router
Brother MFC-9340CDW Color Laser
iPad Air
slolerner #12101 09/29/10 10:34 PM

Originally Posted By: slolerner
The finder shouldn't quit or 'freak out' when I click or view certain things, right?

Are there other folders which cause Finder to quit when viewed...
or just ~/Library/Preferences/Macromedia

?

[ps: That command i posted to delete a few obscure .DS_Store files is quite harmless... and to delay running it feels like a waste of time. If it fixes the problem, then mystery solved. If not, there's more work to do.]

Hal Itosis #12103 09/30/10 12:08 AM

Thanks! Did the terminal code and got into the Macromedia Folder now. Yay! In the Flash Player Folder there is a #SharedObjects/NB3HYZ9M/ directory that contains folders with .sol files and also inside the Macromedia/Flash Player Folder is a macromedia.com/support Folder which sometimes I can open and sometimes it quits the finder, but when I can open it, it has duplicates of the other folders with the .sol folders. There's the probable issue. And now, that I've been 'picking' at it, going near it is making the finder quit again. So, I will repeat the Terminal code and at which folder level can I delete this whole little mess?

I haven't noticed any others that make the finder quit but there must be at least one thing that makes it quit because I had that weird rolling window closing finder quit a few times but can't remember the circumstances. Chances are it was when the browser was open.

When I go down the preference folder file by file it doesn't seem to quit until the Macromedia Folder.

Last edited by slolerner; 09/30/10 12:24 AM.

Mid 2010 MacBook Pro 13"
iPad Air
slolerner #12104 09/30/10 04:27 AM

In the Flash Player folder there is a #SharedObjects/NB3HYZ9M/ directory that contains folders with .sol files and also inside the Macromedia/Flash Player Folder is a macromedia.com/support Folder which sometimes I can open and sometimes it quits the finder, but when I can open it, it has duplicates of the other folders with the .sol folders. There's the probable issue.

It's somewhat surprising to hear that you're now/still encountering lots of "sol" items down there, because earlier you said this...
I used Flush, thanks, and when I emptied the trash there were a few hundred things, I think. But the finder still crashes if I click on the Macromedia Folder.

...so those cookies must have replenished themselves quite rapidly.
[edit: i might prescribe ClickToFlash at this juncture.]

>

And now, that I've been 'picking' at it, going near it is making the finder quit again. So, I will repeat the Terminal code and at which folder level can I delete this whole little mess?

>

When I go down the preference folder file by file it doesn't seem to quit until the Macromedia Folder.

Well, if it's a .DS_Store issue (and there's ample reason to believe it is), then the thing to do with Terminal is to go up one directory level (to your ~/Library folder), like so:

find -x ~/Library -name .DS_Store -delete

That will remove even more .DS_Stores (which as i said only affects Finder's memory of how their view options were set... so, you might need to reset the prefs folder to be viewed as a list sorted by date... for example).

--

Ironically enough, my script on page 1 might be of some use troubleshooting this issue... but explaining *how* to actually run it goes far afield of this thread. (the link to hayne's Unix FAQ has all that info, fwiw).

Alternatively, just go with Finder and delete these two folders:
/Users/*you*/Library/Preferences/Macromedia
/Users/*you*/Library/Caches/Adobe/Flash Player

[just realize that doing so also removes Adobe's own settings.sol pref and their cacheSize.txt files mentioned on page 1... which you may (or may not) have manually configured by visiting that config page at Adobe's website.]

--

Edit: btw, are you running Flash 10,1,85,3 or some other <version>?

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 10/01/10 12:59 AM.
Hal Itosis #12106 09/30/10 08:51 AM

Although it is related, I'm not certain that this belongs here...Mods?

Adobe gives us the option, here, to "Reset License Files."

I'd appreciate somebody explaining precisely what that means, since I have no idea whether I want to reset or not.

Thanks.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Hal Itosis #12114 09/30/10 03:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Hal Itosis
FWIW, i'm running ClickToFlash as well as browsing with a modified /etc/hosts file...

One of the things I've done in the last couple of days is to install ClickToFlash but it doesn't appear anywhere - in my menu bar or elsewhere. I believe it is properly installed as the plugin can be found in User/Library/Internet PlugIns.

Does ClickToFlash only appear if it actually has something to do? It has not appeared even once although I have been to various locations, although I do admit that they are bookmarked locations I normally visit.

For a long time I have had Safari set to "Block Pop-up Windows". Could it be that Safari is already doing a good enough job of blocking Flash items that, for me, ClickToFlash is redundant?

Safari is the browser I use almost always, only periodically using FireFox if I'm at a site that doesn't care to work with Safari.

ryck

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #12115 09/30/10 04:45 PM

If you go to The New York Times home page you should see several Flash "placeholders"—grayish rectangles with a Flash button in the middle and a gear icon in the upper left corner. Click the Flash button (or anywhere else in the rectangle) to load that particular Flash content.

Click the gear icon for a contextual menu which includes a ClickToFlash Settings... command. (You can also access the settings dialog via the ClickToFlash submenu under the Safari menu.)

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #12117 09/30/10 05:40 PM

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh
If you go to The New York Times home page you should see several Flash "placeholders"—grayish rectangles with a Flash button in the middle and a gear icon in the upper left corner. Click the Flash button (or anywhere else in the rectangle) to load that particular Flash content.

That worked as advertised except that the loading required a double-click.

Click the gear icon for a contextual menu which includes a ClickToFlash Settings... command.

That also worked. There were three other commands before the ClickToFlash Settings but they were greyed out. It's probably not an issue for me as they didn't look like something I'd goof with anyway.

(You can also access the settings dialog via the ClickToFlash submenu under the Safari menu.)

This one was curious. The ClickToFlash Settings were only in the Safari sub-menu if I first visited a site and opened them through the grey gear. They were also temporary. If I closed Safari and re-opened it, the ClickToFlash Settings were no longer in the sub-menu.

For me, this is not a show stopper. I am quite happy to be able to make Flash content decisions as I go. It just seemed peculiar.

ryck

Last edited by ryck; 09/30/10 05:41 PM. Reason: Formatting

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #12118 09/30/10 06:24 PM

ClicktoFlash's settings aren't in Safari's Preferences, they are under the Safari Menu, two lines below Preferences

(does that make sense? dang language...)

MacBook 2.4 Ghz · 4 Gb ram · 10.7.5
stuff I'm interested in
iPhone 4s 7.0.2
ryck #12119 09/30/10 06:54 PM

Originally Posted By: ryck
This one was curious. The ClickToFlash Settings were only in the Safari sub-menu if I first visited a site and opened them through the grey gear. They were also temporary. If I closed Safari and re-opened it, the ClickToFlash Settings were no longer in the sub-menu.

The apparent temporariness of Safari's ClickToFlash Settings menu item is because it's 'contextual': it only appears on pages with Flash [placeholders], at least initially in a Safari session.

alternaut moderator
roger #12120 09/30/10 07:55 PM

Originally Posted By: roger
ClicktoFlash's settings aren't in Safari's Preferences, they are under the Safari Menu...

Actually, that's what I meant by Safari sub-menu but, as Alternaut has since explained, it's nothing for me to worry about as there's a reason for the temporariness.

However, your post did prompt me to look into Safari Preferences. If you go there, then click on Extensions, you'll find a ClickToFlash Settings panel. Great.

I don't know if the same Extensions Button is in earlier versions of the OS.

ryck

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #12125 09/30/10 08:12 PM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

Quote:
I don't know if the same Extensions Button is in earlier versions of the OS.
The OS is not involved; it's the version of Safari. Extensions are available starting with Safari 5, not in previous incarnations.

Last edited by jchuzi; 09/30/10 08:13 PM.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
dkmarsh #12132 09/30/10 09:33 PM

One of the unsung functionalities of AdBlock for Safari is that it can be used to make recurring, unwanted Flash "placeholders" go away.

Hal Itosis #12146 10/02/10 01:16 AM

Quote:
Edit: btw, are you running Flash 10,1,85,3 or some other <version>?

Version of Flash Player is 10.0.22.87

I also have the Program Flash CS4. I think the first time I ran Flush it didn't get rid of everything because this time it looked a little different when I ran it, more action in the Terminal window, if that makes sense. Now the folders are very clean. I am using Camino so I can't use ClickToFlash. Now I have 2 questions:

1) Can I do a setting so my computer will not store Flash Cookies?

2) Can I get rid of the 'lost+found' folder that Disk Utility put on the top level of my HD to solve a file count discrepancy a while back? I mentioned this in my posting on the first page.

Thanks!

Mid 2010 MacBook Pro 13"
iPad Air
slolerner #12147 10/02/10 02:00 AM

Version of Flash Player is 10.0.22.87

Perhaps you should consider getting version 10.1.85.3 or at least be aware of the possible ramifications of not doing so. [see post #5 for security info].

Also, there are claims of improved performance in the 10.1 versions (as one would expect).

1) Can I do a setting so my computer will not store Flash Cookies?

I think the "global storage settings" (link on page 1) does that. [set the slider to zero, and uncheck the boxes below.]

2) Can I get rid of the 'lost+found' folder that Disk Utility put on the top level of my HD to solve a file count discrepancy a while back?

Probably should start a new thread for that, but my guess would be yes. [also —since Disk Utility had such an ordeal fixing your HD —maybe let DiskWarrior have a look at it now.]

--

EDIT: So, i guess the Finder crashing at the Macromedia any folder has been fixed then?

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 10/02/10 02:05 AM.
slolerner #12164 10/03/10 02:44 AM

every macintosh folder that Finder opens up will have a ".DS_Store" file placed inside it. the file is invisible normally, and tracks your viewing preferences for the folder. Things like did you have it in list or icon view, what size are the icons set to show at, what background color or picture is set for the folder, the position and size of the window the folder displays in, etc.

It's basically a preferences file, for the folder. And if it gets screwed up, finder or other things that try to read it may behave badly or crash when you try to access, open, or view the folder. Finder is well known for crashing when a specific folder is opened when the store file inside it has certain problems.

The line of code hal posted will make the terminal go hunt down and remove all the store files in all your folders. If that was causing your problem, it will fix it.

The only side-effect to doing this is that all the folders will obtain their default view settings and so you may recognize some folders don't open and look quite how you're used to seeing them. Just put them back the way you like them as you encounter them, and they will be fine.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Hal Itosis #12169 10/03/10 09:50 AM

As a result of this thread, and because I've been working with the developer of Safari Cookies, I've gotten a bit into this issue, but there's one aspect that's completely beyond me, and I wonder whether you or somebody else can put it to rest...

[code]

Edit: Sorry, but everything following [code} doesn't display; I guessed that it might not, but I couldn't be certain without trying.

The missing text asked whether you could translate my assorted settings.sol files into English.

[aside] [Question moved to FineTunedMac Feedback by cyn: Code tag issues] [/aside]

Edited by artie505 (10/03/10 08:47 AM EDT)

Last edited by cyn; 10/04/10 01:46 PM.

artie505 #12177 10/03/10 06:02 PM

[Response to aside moved to FineTunedMac Feedback by cyn: Code tag issues]

edit#2: btw, i hope safari cookies will be remade into a "safari extension"... so we can skip simbl.

Edited by Hal Itosis (10/03/10 07:09 PM EDT)

Last edited by cyn; 10/04/10 01:48 PM.
Hal Itosis #12189 10/03/10 11:05 PM

[Response moved to FineTunedMac Feedback by cyn: Code tag issues]

Last edited by cyn; 10/04/10 01:49 PM.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #12191 10/04/10 07:19 AM

[Response moved to FineTunedMac Feedback by cyn: Code tag issues]

--

Oh look... i got a cookie finally:
#www.mp3rocket.com/settings.sol
Code:
0000000: 00bf 0000 0051 5443 534f 0004 0000 0000  .....QTCSO......
0000010: 001a 7777 772e 6d70 3372 6f63 6b65 742e  ..www.mp3rocket.
0000020: 636f 6d2f 7365 7474 696e 6773 0000 0000  com/settings....
0000030: 0005 616c 6c6f 7701 0000 0006 616c 7761  ..allow.....alwa
0000040: 7973 0100 0000 066b 6c69 6d69 7400 4059  ys.....klimit.@Y
0000050: 0000 0000 0000 00

No idea what all that means... but when i went there earlier, it wouldn't play the file i was trying to hear. (though, perhaps that's because i set such harsh limits on the flash config page).

Last edited by cyn; 10/04/10 01:51 PM.
artie505 #12192 10/04/10 09:07 AM
cyn Online
Administrator
Administrator

Thread closed while I figure out how to get the "aside" stuff over to FineTunedMac Feedback where it belongs.

Edit: I removed the code tag and display questions/answers from the last 4 replies and copied them into a post in Feedback: Code tag issues

Thread's reopened. Let's try to stay at least somewhat on topic, 'k?

Last edited by cyn; 10/04/10 01:55 PM.

FineTunedMac Forums Admin
Hal Itosis #12215 10/05/10 06:04 AM

Damn...lost my post for a change!!! mad (But it's not like it wasn't my own (Edit: stupid) fault. frown )

Here's my response to your suggestions that were moved by cyn; I believe it's appropriate to this thread.

Artie-s-Computer-4:~ artie$ xxd ~/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash\ Player/macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/sys/settings.sol
0000000: 00bf 0000 01ca 5443 534f 0004 0000 0000 ......TCSO......
0000010: 0008 7365 7474 696e 6773 0000 0000 0004 ..settings......
0000020: 6761 696e 0040 4900 0000 0000 0000 000f gain.@I.........
0000030: 6563 686f 7375 7070 7265 7373 696f 6e01 echosuppression.
0000040: 0000 0011 6465 6661 756c 746d 6963 726f ....defaultmicro
0000050: 7068 6f6e 6502 0000 0000 0d64 6566 6175 phone......defau
0000060: 6c74 6361 6d65 7261 0200 0000 000d 6465 ltcamera......de
0000070: 6661 756c 746b 6c69 6d69 7400 bff0 0000 faultklimit.....
0000080: 0000 0000 0000 0d64 6566 6175 6c74 616c .......defaultal
0000090: 7761 7973 0100 0000 1177 696e 646f 776c ways.....windowl
00000a0: 6573 7344 6973 6162 6c65 0100 0000 1063 essDisable.....c
00000b0: 726f 7373 646f 6d61 696e 416c 6c6f 7701 rossdomainAllow.
00000c0: 0000 0011 6372 6f73 7364 6f6d 6169 6e41 ....crossdomainA
00000d0: 6c77 6179 7301 0000 001a 7365 6375 7265 lways.....secure
00000e0: 4372 6f73 7344 6f6d 6169 6e43 6163 6865 CrossDomainCache
00000f0: 5369 7a65 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0018 Size............
0000100: 616c 6c6f 7754 6869 7264 5061 7274 794c allowThirdPartyL
0000110: 534f 4163 6365 7373 0100 0000 0c74 7275 SOAccess.....tru
0000120: 7374 6564 5061 7468 7303 0000 0900 000e stedPaths.......
0000130: 7361 6665 6675 6c6c 7363 7265 656e 0100 safefullscreen..
0000140: 0000 1164 6973 616c 6c6f 7750 3250 5570 ...disallowP2PUp
0000150: 6c69 6e6b 0101 0000 0764 6f6d 6169 6e73 link.....domains
0000160: 0300 0963 6861 7365 2e63 6f6d 0101 0015 ...chase.com....
0000170: 7777 772e 7061 7970 616c 6f62 6a65 6374 www.paypalobject
0000180: 732e 636f 6d01 0100 0c76 616e 6775 6172 s.com....vanguar
0000190: 642e 636f 6d01 0100 0009 0000 1261 7574 d.com........aut
00001a0: 6f55 7064 6174 6549 6e74 6572 7661 6c00 oUpdateInterval.
00001b0: 402c 0000 0000 0000 0000 1261 7574 6f55 @,.........autoU
00001c0: 7064 6174 6544 6973 6162 6c65 6401 0100 pdateDisabled...
Artie-s-Computer-4:~ artie$

and

Artie-s-Computer-4:~ artie$ strings ~/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash\ Player/macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/sys/settings.sol
TCSO
settings
gain
echosuppression
defaultmicrophone
defaultcamera
defaultklimit
defaultalways
windowlessDisable
crossdomainAllow
crossdomainAlways
secureCrossDomainCacheSize
allowThirdPartyLSOAccess

trustedPaths
safefullscreen
disallowP2PUplink
domains
chase.com
www.paypalobjects.com

vanguard.com
autoUpdateInterval
autoUpdateDisabled
Artie-s-Computer-4:~ artie$

What I'm looking for is a way to look at settings.sol and visually determine that my settings have stuck, because they seem to not do so.

(I believe that a leading 0 with a / through it has something to do with camera and mike settings, and I'm certain that defaultklimit

Edit: Sorry...same issue; I'll repost.

Second edit: I misunderstood that leading "null" character; I now see [code]I

THIRD EDIT:Now that's weird; I thought "I echo suppression default microphone default camera" (Remove all spaces) would come through.

Last edited by artie505; 10/05/10 09:41 AM.

Hal Itosis #12216 10/05/10 06:10 AM

Repost of truncated portion of original post...

What I'm looking for is a way to look at settings.sol and visually determine that my settings have stuck, because they seem to not do so.

(I believe that a leading 0 with a / through it has something to do with camera and mike settings, and I'm certain that defaultklimit[] [that's defaultklimit0with/apple]means -0- storage.)

Some issues I've run into:
  1. "Global Privacy Settings" gives no visual indication of which pref I've set.
  2. When I change my pref for a website I've already visited in "Website Privacy Settings" the change does not stick, rather it reverts to my global default.
  3. "Website Storage Settings" loses its check in the "Never Ask Again" box, and the pref must be reset by hand for each new website I visit.
I believe there are others, and I'll post them as I run into (and remember to make note of) them.

artie505 #12222 10/05/10 09:14 AM

>> "Global Privacy Settings" gives no visual indication of which pref I've set.<<
Yeah, i think that's by "design"... i.e., Adobe wants it that way (or don't want to put any effort into improving the display/behavior?).

>>When I change my pref for a website I've already visited in "Website Privacy Settings" the change does not stick, rather it reverts to my global default.<<
Again, my suspicions are that they're not truly seeking to make all that stuff work properly. (not as users would desire/expect). Or maybe web designers have found ways around Adobe's intended Flash behavior?

>>Website Storage Settings" loses its check in the "Never Ask Again" box, and the pref must be reset by hand for each new website I visit.<<
Ditto. There's just no telling where the "problem" really originates.

Then again, i'm no Flash expert... and i'd like to know the right answers myself.

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 10/05/10 09:16 AM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard