FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"Find My" not finding my iPhone
#66029 04/23/24 04:21 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

Using "Find My", I can locate my wife's iPhone on either my iPad or my iMac. However, her iPhone does not appear on my iPhone. I'm sure it's just a setting somewhere, and I have looked, but I can't find the toggle that should fix this.

Last edited by ryck; 04/23/24 04:21 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Re: "Find My" not finding my iPhone
ryck #66033 04/24/24 04:41 PM

In the Find My app on your iPhone, tap "Devices" then the "+" sign to the right of the word "Devices". Choose "Add Other Item". Make sure your wife's iPhone is near yours and on.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #66035 04/24/24 08:38 PM

I haven't got any way to check on that, but it seems like some action on ryck's wife's part should be necessary.

If it were as easy as you've made it out to be, you could find out where the person sitting next to you at the bar lives with no further ado.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #66036 04/24/24 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by artie505
I haven't got any way to check on that, but it seems like some action on ryck's wife's part should be necessary.

You are correct. The person doing the tracking indicates they want to track the other person, then Apple's tracking server contacts the other person, and no tracking takes place until the other person indicates their agreement to be tracked.

The OP's situation is he can track his wife's iPhone using his iPad or Mac, but not on his iPhone. Which would seem to imply Apple's tracking server doesn't recognize the link between those specific devices.

ryck You might try toggling location sharing off on her iPhone, giving that several minutes to "settle" in the tracking server, then turning it back on.
If that does not work, I have questions...
  1. In FindMy, on your iPhone, if you select Persons instead of Devices, do you see your wife's location?
  2. Am I correct your wife's Apple ID is a "child" of your Apple account or vice versa?
  3. Were the FindMy links between your iPhones set up and the same time and in the same way on your other devices?
  4. Have you shut down and restarted your iPhone?

Last edited by joemikeb; 04/24/24 11:48 PM.

"All you've got to do is own up to your ignorance
honestly, and you'll find people who are eager to
fill your head with information"
--Walt Disney
artie505 #66039 04/25/24 04:34 PM

If it were as easy as you've made it out to be, you could find out where the person sitting next to you at the bar lives with no further ado.

I thought it was apparent that approval would be required for just the reason you state. Apple would never let that happen, except where its Air Tag products were concerned. crazy

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #66040 04/25/24 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Ira L

I thought it was apparent that approval would be required for just the reason you state. Apple would never let that happen, except where its Air Tag products were concerned. crazy
It shouldn't be possible under any circumstances, not even Air Tags.

The possibilities are just plain limitlessly bad.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #66042 04/25/24 10:40 PM

It shouldn't be possible under any circumstances, not even Air Tags.

The possibilities are just plain limitlessly bad.

Apple's solution is to send you a warning if a strange (not registered to you) Airtag or Device is following you around. Along with instructions on What to do if you get an alert that...accessory, or set of AirPods is with you.

"All you've got to do is own up to your ignorance
honestly, and you'll find people who are eager to
fill your head with information"
--Walt Disney
joemikeb #66044 04/25/24 10:59 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

Originally Posted by joemikeb
ryck You might try toggling location sharing off on her iPhone, giving that several minutes to "settle" in the tracking server, then turning it back on.
Will do later when she returns later from sitting the grandchildren.
If that does not work, I have questions...
  1. In FindMy, on your iPhone, if you select Persons instead of Devices, do you see your wife's location?
    I believe that's how I'm set up. I have only a list of people and don't see an option to change to devices.
  2. Am I correct your wife's Apple ID is a "child" of your Apple account or vice versa?
    Not sure what "child" of account means. However, my wife has her own Apple ID and password.
  3. Were the FindMy links between your iPhones set up and the same time and in the same way on your other devices?
    I don't recall.
  4. Have you shut down and restarted your iPhone?
    Just now, and that seems to have had the desired effect. My iPhone has changed from a 3 day old advice that she is at home and now says she's in a mall "Now". That corresponds to my iMac and my iPad. Will report later if that location remains fixed, as previously occurred.

Last edited by ryck; 04/25/24 11:05 PM.

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
joemikeb #66045 04/26/24 12:36 AM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

Originally Posted by joemikeb
Apple's solution is to send you a warning if a strange (not registered to you) Airtag or Device is following you around.
Great idea. A recent news item reported that thieves were planting tracking devices on cars in wealthy neighbourhoods, so that they would have a good idea of when people were home or away.

ryck

OS Sonoma 14.4.1
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #66046 04/26/24 12:38 AM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

Originally Posted by ryck
[quote=joemikeb]*]Have you shut down and restarted your iPhone?
Just now, and that seems to have had the desired effect. My iPhone has changed from a 3 day old advice that she is at home and now says she's in a mall "Now". That corresponds to my iMac and my iPad. Will report later if that location remains fixed, as previously occurred.
I can confirm that that did the trick. My iPhone successfully followed my wife's until she returned home.

Last edited by ryck; 04/26/24 12:39 AM.

ryck

OS Sonoma 14.4.1
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #66060 04/27/24 02:22 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

Oops, spoke too soon. This morning the iPhone shows my wife at home (she is not) after pulling up a location from yesterday. I shutdown the iPhone and, after a restart "Find My" pulled up an even older location - the day before yesterday. iMac and iPad continue to show the correct location.

Update: To try something different, I went to Settings and toggled Airplane Mode "On" and then back "Off". My iPhone then correctly showed my wife's location. Stay tuned.

Last edited by ryck; 04/27/24 02:33 PM.

ryck

OS Sonoma 14.4.1
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard